PDA

View Full Version : What IF ?

JTG
03-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I can't help but believe that spot # 10 is being held open for the time being for ND. If, the ACC gets raided by the BIG of UNC GT and Va., then ND has no reason to be there for part time football, the only decent team left to play would be Lousiville.. Meanwhile, they could park all but football in the new BE, and remain independent in football. Keep all their football $$, get a fat bball check of $4 mil., and still probably be a part of the FB National Tournament picture. Not saying it will happen , but it's a possibility.

joe titan
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
you don't think those sharp minded C7 leaders might be laying the old Catholic guilt trip on ND about how BE was the single group to allow ND to promote its own brand and not share those FB revenues and now its time to reciprocate a bit and hang w/ BE ?

DC Muskie
03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
I think the same thing. Creighton doesn't have an exit fee, so they can come on board whenever. ND will have to make a choice pretty quickly.

My question is, what about ND football scheduling. Do they hold the cards over the ACC with the agreements of parking their Olympic sports in the ACC? Meaning, what has greater value...

The ACC having agreements in scheduling ND football

or

ND just needs a home for their olympic sports and giving up some scheduling freedom is worth it.

I'd be interested to learn more about that aspect of the ND/ACC relationship.

MHettel
03-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I speculated this a month ago. I was crazy then.

Now, other people think about after most of the dots get connected for them. But it's not crazy now?

My guess is ND has an option for next year, and they likely would use it to see to what extent the ACC remains in it's current form before having to make a final decision. If the ACC is raided, then ND might start considering the B10 with the intent to stay indy in fball. But on the other hand, the main reason that the B10 would even want them is on the off chance that eventually they will join a conference for FBall...

I think the C7 announces that ND is in for next year only. On the side, I think there is an agreement that ND can stay beyond that, but they need to know by "x" date. If ND leaves after one year, then they grab 3more schools (richmond, SLU, Creighton). If ND STAYS, then they have the makings of a national footprint and can add up to 6 more schools, including the 3 above, UD, Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Imagine a 16 team conference where only ND has a football team. Fans of the non-football schools would almost have a surrogate team to root for in ND. Why not root for a conference mate, especially if it doesn't result in rooting against your own team.

AND, most importantly in my mind, if ND gets into bed with FOX on a basketball deal, then you KNOW Fox would try to position that as leverage to ultimately get teh ND football rights. Either way ND wins if they eitehr go with Fox, or use a Fox bid to sweeten the NBC deal....

muskiefan82
03-01-2013, 02:49 PM
I like the thread title...WHat if......

What if......The ACC does not invite UC. What if the better teams leave the football little East and UC has nowhere to go? What if they have to join the A-10 for basketball and play football in the MAC? What if I died laughing because that actually happened? What if????

nuts4xu
03-02-2013, 01:08 AM
I speculated this a month ago. I was crazy then.

Now, other people think about after most of the dots get connected for them. But it's not crazy now?

My guess is ND has an option for next year, and they likely would use it to see to what extent the ACC remains in it's current form before having to make a final decision. If the ACC is raided, then ND might start considering the B10 with the intent to stay indy in fball. But on the other hand, the main reason that the B10 would even want them is on the off chance that eventually they will join a conference for FBall...

I think the C7 announces that ND is in for next year only. On the side, I think there is an agreement that ND can stay beyond that, but they need to know by "x" date. If ND leaves after one year, then they grab 3more schools (richmond, SLU, Creighton). If ND STAYS, then they have the makings of a national footprint and can add up to 6 more schools, including the 3 above, UD, Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Imagine a 16 team conference where only ND has a football team. Fans of the non-football schools would almost have a surrogate team to root for in ND. Why not root for a conference mate, especially if it doesn't result in rooting against your own team.

AND, most importantly in my mind, if ND gets into bed with FOX on a basketball deal, then you KNOW Fox would try to position that as leverage to ultimately get teh ND football rights. Either way ND wins if they eitehr go with Fox, or use a Fox bid to sweeten the NBC deal....

I like this theory and would like to see it come true.

xu2013
03-03-2013, 11:51 PM
If ND did elect to back out on the ACC and stick with the C9+Butler what does that do for TV money for the rest of the league? I'm guessing that whatever the number would be with 12 teams, 10 with the permanent addition of ND would have to be higher. You lose the STL, Richmond, and Omaha markets but get the national following that is Notre Dame.

mistabeecee41
03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
If ND did elect to back out on the ACC and stick with the C9+Butler what does that do for TV money for the rest of the league? I'm guessing that whatever the number would be with 12 teams, 10 with the permanent addition of ND would have to be higher. You lose the STL, Richmond, and Omaha markets but get the national following that is Notre Dame.

good point. playing devil's advocate though - what percentage of the ND Football Fan Population (non-alumni) could name a ND basketball player?

paulxu
03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Manti Te'o?

Cheesehead
03-04-2013, 11:06 AM
I like the thread title...WHat if......

What if......The ACC does not invite UC. What if the better teams leave the football little East and UC has nowhere to go? What if they have to join the A-10 for basketball and play football in the MAC? What if I died laughing because that actually happened? What if????

I laughed out loud. Thanks!