PDA

View Full Version : Good news not as intriguing as bad news?

D-West & PO-Z
02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
I wish good news drew as much attention on this site as bad news. 4/6/09 was the day Sean Miller announced he was leaving for Arizona. That day was also they day the most users were ever online this site, 618. Right now there is 163 users online, only 240 visited all day. This site is always more flooded after a bad loss than a good win too. Hopefully as this thing becomes more official the excitement starts buzzing even more and we erase that date as the day the most users were online this site.

Go Muskies! Lets make the new Big East our bitch just like we did the A10!

PMI
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I wish good news drew as much attention on this site as bad news. 4/6/09 was the day Sean Miller announced he was leaving for Arizona. That day was also they day the most users were ever online this site, 618. Right now there is 163 users online, only 240 visited all day. This site is always more flooded after a bad loss than a good win too. Hopefully as this thing becomes more official the excitement starts buzzing even more and we erase that date as the day the most users were online this site.

Go Muskies! Lets make the new Big East our bitch just like we did the A10!

I think a lot of people are excited. Sean Miller leaving was an awful day. The Dez Wells expulsion announcement was another nuclear day here. This being the official announcement is a great day, but we've known this was all but done for months now. I for one am pumped.

GoMuskies
02-28-2013, 08:25 PM
This place is pretty damned active for a Thursday night when we're not playing and don't have much in the way of postseason prospects.

D-West & PO-Z
02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
I think a lot of people are excited. Sean Miller leaving was an awful day. The Dez Wells expulsion announcement was another nuclear day here. This being the official announcement is a great day, but we've known this was all but done for months now. I for one am pumped.

This place is pretty damned active for a Thursday night when we're not playing and don't have much in the way of postseason prospects.

Ok I guess my post might be a bit dramatic. But to be fair 4/6/09 was a Monday night after the college basketball season was completely over.

LA Muskie
02-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I've been in a deposition all day. This is the first time I'm having an opportunity to check things out. I saw this coming in general after my meetings in Cincy last week (but admittedly not this soon, nor necessarily for 2013). But I am TOTALLY STOKED!!! (California parlance for excited.)

D-West & PO-Z
02-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I've been in a deposition all day. This is the first time I'm having an opportunity to check things out. I saw this coming in general after my meetings in Cincy last week (but admittedly not this soon, nor necessarily for 2013). But I am TOTALLY STOKED!!! (California parlance for excited.)

I know everyone is excited and I know all the regulars will be on at some point to catch up if they havent already been on. I was more referring to the fact that exciting news and good things, dont seem to draw as many unregistered guests (which the site number includes) and even registered members who dont appear as often, as much as bad news does. Again not a big deal, probably a somewhat dramatic post by me, but just an observation.

Edit: I guess also as others have said it isnt as big as a shock as the Miller thing was which is a good point.

LA Muskie
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
I know everyone is excited and I know all the regulars will be on at some point to catch up if they havent already been on. I was more referring to the fact that exciting news and good things, dont seem to draw as many unregistered guests (which the site number includes) and even registered members who dont appear as often, as much as bad news does. Again not a big deal, probably a somewhat dramatic post by me, but just an observation.

Edit: I guess also as others have said it isnt as big as a shock as the Miller thing was which is a good point.
Don't get me wrong. I agree with your premise. There is a reason the news media spends 18 minutes on bad news, 1 minute on weather, 3 minutes on sports, and 1 minute -- if any -- reporting on "good" news. For whatever reasons, people engage more on bad news.

Cheesehead
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I am f-ing pumped, overjoyed in fact!

JAPER
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
How many people on the heavy traffic days are X fans? How many are curious outsiders looking in?

Masterofreality
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Today, I am pleased.

Snipe
03-01-2013, 12:15 AM
If Mack ever leaves, what will MOR call him?

I agree that bad news kills good, and that is why people tune in.

Cue Don Henley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHimia_Fxzs):

I make my living off the Evening News
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It's interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

The board has always flourished in times of dismay. Part of the reason is because sock-puppet flamers like to come out. The other part is because of "real fans" like Gary Griffin, who never married, not that there's anything wrong with that..

GoMuskies
03-01-2013, 12:19 AM
If Mack ever leaves, what will MOR call him?

Cue ball.