PDA

View Full Version : Aleksandar/Alexander Vezenkov

Pages : [1] 2

MarvAlbert
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Born in Cyprus, played for the Bulgarian u16/u18/u20 national teams, and plays for Aris in the Greek Basketball League.

Pos- Small Forward
Height- 6'8"-6'9"
Weight- 200-225 lbs

There's not much info out there about him that I could find (I didn't look too hard). What I did find out about Xavier's interest,
I found here (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2013/02/xaviers-chris-mack-came-to-greece-for.html). I guess Xavier is trying to get him to be here for the 2013-14 season. I don't know how playing for a professional team in Greece factors into his eligibility, but I'm guessing (or at least hoping) Mack looked into it before taking the plane ride over there.

MHettel
02-07-2013, 10:21 AM
What is the schollie situation for next year? I thought we were full with teh additions of Richards and Randolph. Does this indicate that we're expecting to see someone depart? You dont make a trip to Greece in the middle of the season unless you are prepared to offer a scholarship if you like what you see. And, you dont offer a scholarship unless you have one available....

As far as playing on a pro team, I'm pretty sure that it generally results in ineligibility, but again there must be something that Mack knows about the circumstances or he wouldn't bother going. Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?

casualfan
02-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?

Of course its possible, but it doesn't matter when it comes to amateurism. My understanding of the rule is that as long as there is one or more players on your team being paid you are considered a professional even if you're not one of ththe guys making money.

ballyhoohoo
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
without giving away any premium content:

The sports environment is completely different in Europe then it is in the states, they do not have high school (Gymnausium) or University sports. If you are a youngster in a certain city you enroll in a club program and play in their youth leagues. You earn promotions as you grow older, either to more advanced levels or demotions to pure recreation levels. Many of the big name soccer teams in Europe (Man United, Real Madrid, AC Milan, FC Bayern Munchen) are actually Sports Clubs that also field professional clubs. FC Bayern for example is best known for soccer, but will also field professional clubs in basketball, water polo, volleyball, etc.

A youngster will advance with a club and if good enough could find himself playing for the tier one team for said club (what we would consider a big league club). That is the case with this young man. You can play on these teams and as long as your only financial benefits is travel expense you retain you amateur status in the eyes of the NCAA. The case with Kanter two years ago was that he took more than travel expense. As long as this young man has taken only travel expense and small per diems he is fine.

gladdenguy
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
What is the schollie situation for next year? I thought we were full with teh additions of Richards and Randolph. Does this indicate that we're expecting to see someone depart? You dont make a trip to Greece in the middle of the season unless you are prepared to offer a scholarship if you like what you see. And, you dont offer a scholarship unless you have one available....

Semaj
Randolph
M. Davis
D. Davis
J. Martin
K Richards
I. Philmore
J. Farr
J. Reynolds
M. Stainbrook
C. Cantino
E. Stenger (assuming he gets one next year)
Open

blueblob06
02-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Has X ever picked up a player from Europe? Or directly from any country outside the US? (I know that Sato, for example, came and played in the US in high school before committing to X)

PMI
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM

As far as playing on a pro team, I'm pretty sure that it generally results in ineligibility, but again there must be something that Mack knows about the circumstances or he wouldn't bother going. Is it possible to play on a "pro" team but not get paid? Would that confirm the ameteur status?

We've seen just about every year that that isn't true. But we do have a scholarship available, and he has an offer.

PMI
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Of course its possible, but it doesn't matter when it comes to amateurism. My understanding of the rule is that as long as there is one or more players on your team being paid you are considered a professional even if you're not one of ththe guys making money.

I don't know the details, but apparently it's not that cut and dry.

Juice
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't know the details, but apparently it's not that cut and dry.

Enes Kanter had a shot of being eligible and him and his parents actually took money. I'm sure players on his team were getting paid.

paulxu
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
The Muskies need their own Manu.
I wonder how Mack found out about him, or even how you would know one of these kids is interested in US college instead of European pro ball.
Maybe our guys who play in Europe keep an eye out and send messages back.

LA Muskie
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I wonder how Mack found out about him, or even how you would know one of these kids is interested in US college instead of European pro ball.
Dunno. Another board member mentioned that Aris is the same club for which Torraye Braggs played (but that was about 10 years ago).

sweet16
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

I was vacationing recently at Lagonissi, saw the kid play, asked a few questions and gave Chris a call.

PMI
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Enes Kanter had a shot of being eligible and him and his parents actually took money. I'm sure players on his team were getting paid.

From my understanding (and apparently Mack's as well) this guy's situation is very different from Kanter's.

bobbiemcgee
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Don't think Mack hops over the pond in the middle of conference battles, midweek, to recruit a guy he ain't pretty sure he can get and can help him.

Titanxman04
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Agreed. Thats a lot of effort and time to take on a big chance, when both of those resources could be put elsewhere just as easily. The kid must be worth it.

paulxu
02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
It's some sort of weird karma.

Lose a Dez, gain a Vez.

(please don't start with any what if's here)

PMI
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
It's some sort of weird karma.

Lose a Dez, gain a Vez.

(please don't start with any what if's here)

Why not? Could you imagine if Dez were still here, we got this Vezenkov guy and he was a future NBA All Star, and David West was born 12 years later? With Semaj getting better and better, that would be one hell of a team, as long as Matta, Miller and Mack could get them all the jell right away.

Juice
02-07-2013, 07:54 PM
From my understanding (and apparently Mack's as well) this guy's situation is very different from Kanter's.

I would hope so. I was more commenting on what the understanding of the rule was, which I have no idea. But that is good news.

paulxu
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
He seems to have his own Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Vezenkov

STL_XUfan
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
He seems to have his own Wiki page.

quick someone edit it to say amateur before the ncaa sees that.

ArizonaXUGrad
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Kantor received a ton of money and living expenses from his pro team. If this kid received the same he probably won't see the court next year and will have agree to eventually reimburse the club in years to come. I am not 100% positive but I believe the value of what Kantor got was in the $20-30k range. At least that was the rumor. In Europe, that is pretty standard for good young players.

DC Muskie
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
What's our connection to the kid? Or did someone already answer that?

paulxu
02-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm not up like some of you guys on recruiting. Would this kid sign a LOI at some certain time?
Tried to do a little googling, but can't find a lot.
I found his high school in Greece, which seems to be top notch, so academics wouldn't be an issue.
It doesn't seem like they have high school athletics, so I guess they all play in those club situations.
The director of his high school is an OSU graduate, so maybe she suggested Xavier?

http://www.pinewood.gr/news/news-archives/39/312-spotlight-on-students-alexander-vezenkov

http://www.pinewood.gr/about-pinewood/faculty-staff-profiles#dr-roxanne-giampapa,-director

When do you think we'll know if he comes for the open scholarship next year?

XUFan09
02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
I imagine it could be really late. He's deciding between pro ball and college ball, not between one college and another. Xavier also has two scholarships open (I'm not counting Stenger), so he's not under heavy pressure to commit before the last scholarship disappears.

I'm not saying he will take awhile to decide one way or the other, simply that he has that time available to him.

Musketeer_15
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Anything new on this kid? I was just curious seeing how I haven't heard his name in a few weeks

PMI
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't think there's any new news but I would imagine that the more time that goes by, the less likely it is he's coming to Xavier, or even college basketball in general.

danaandvictory
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
I think PMI is correct. He's basically deciding whether to come to the States to play college ball or sign a pro contract, there doesn't seem to be much of a timeline on either decision, but the fact that he hasn't committed to play at Xavier over a month after Coach Mack's visit seems ominous.

bobbiemcgee
03-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Well he isn't even 18 until Aug., so probably can't sign as a pro. Seems like a great student, so looks like he would qualify. Hard to get a lot of info on the kid, but if Mack wants him, me too.

LA Muskie
03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Well he isn't even 18 until Aug., so probably can't sign as a pro. Seems like a great student, so looks like he would qualify. Hard to get a lot of info on the kid, but if Mack wants him, me too.
He could sign as a pro in EUROPE, where he lives.

JTG
03-27-2013, 07:43 AM
up ph? Băˇn nhă©

wtf ?

Xman95
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
wtf ?

Believe that says, "What's up, biznitch?"

xunorm
05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
says on scout he committed... update from anyone on the status??

GoMuskies
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM
http://nbadcdn.duonox.net/files/players/AVezenkov.gif

Gangsta or thug?

More Cowbell
05-16-2013, 12:00 PM

If it is on Wikipedia, it must be true.

GoMuskies
05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
27 points a game at the FIBA under 16 championships in '11? That's not too shabby. We could definitely use another player capable of regularly putting the ball in the hoop.

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Confirmed. Awesome...AWESOME news if you ask me. I've always thought that the offense Mack runs could use a European-style big who can hit a jumper, since they spend so much time setting screens off the post.

GoMuskies
05-16-2013, 12:11 PM
So how many games will he have to sit out before the NCAA figures out his amateur status?

PM Thor
05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Found a video from a U18 game Bulgaria vs France. He's #7 in blue/green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myYkFAtceA

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
So how many games will he have to sit out before the NCAA figures out his amateur status?

His father is involved in pro basketball in Europe. Supposedly great care was taken to assure his amateur status should he decide to play college ball in the US. So that should mean that...the NCAA will try extra hard to find a rule violation.

gladdenguy
05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Well, Chris Mack has his guy. I hope he is another Doellman.

ammtd34
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM

I would LOVE it if he was another Doellman.

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I also love that he can play right away AND give us more than one year. It opens up a lot of possibilities for that last scholly since we really needed at least one new guy who could come in and play right away. Now we can still recruit a 5th year/play right away guy. Or we can concentrate on traditional transfers or 2014 guys.

SixFig
05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Good news to hear. The most important thing is getting him here and on a good workout/diet regime. Many foreign players simply haven't eaten enough to take on American player's strength in the post right away.

BMoreX
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM

If it is on Wikipedia, it must be true.

What a great sentence:

As of May 16th, 2013 Vezenkov has committed to play American college basketball in the Big East Conference for the Xavier Musketeers located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

SixFig
05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
PG: Christon, D Davis, Randolph

SG: M Davis

SF: Martin, Cantino, Richards

PF: Reynolds, Farr, Vezenkov

C: Philmore, Stainbrook

Am I missing someone? Stenger and Amos will be in the mix as walkons. We definitely have one scholly left, yes?

RealDeal
05-16-2013, 12:58 PM
PG: Christon, D Davis, Randolph

SG: M Davis

SF: Martin, Cantino, Richards

PF: Reynolds, Farr, Vezenkov

C: Philmore, Stainbrook

Am I missing someone? Stenger and Amos will be in the mix as walkons. We definitely have one scholly left, yes?

I would move Philmore to PF, Farr to C, and Vez to SF. I think we need V at SF but who knows. I'm pumped.

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I would move Philmore to PF, Farr to C, and Vez to SF. I think we need V at SF but who knows. I'm pumped.
It would be great if V could play SF. At 6'8 200 he's a bit skinny to play the PF position for significant minutes. Problem is that at 6'8" and reportedly about average athletically, he would have a hard time staying in front of most 3's at this level. It will be interesting to see how he develops, and how Mack uses him during that process. I could see him starting out as a role-playing 3 off the bench for a few years, morphing into a 4 as he adds to his frame.

GreatWhiteNorth
05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Great get......I love it. He will gain weight once he starts eating N. American food. Most European players are not as bulky as american players, but he does not look too skinny to me.

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Great get......I love it. He will gain weight once he starts eating N. American food. Most European players are not as bulky as american players, but he does not look skinny to me.
Tough to tell. But 6'8 200 lbs is on the skinny side, especially for an athlete. As a comparison, Farr is 6'9" and about 245, and he looks far from big.

GoMuskies
If he can score like his FIBA stats indicate that he can, he won't be a role-player for long (if ever). The competition for major minutes at the 3 is not particularly stiff.

mistabeecee41
Also reported that Remy Abell cancelled his St. Mary's Visit and looks like will go with SLU or XU.

Justin Martin should be scared. He was the only natural 3 on our team last year. This year we have J-Mart, Richards and Vez. If Abell signs, that would be a 4th SF in 2014.

BMoreX
05-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Also reported that Remy Abell cancelled his St. Mary's Visit and looks like will go with SLU or XU.

Justin Martin should be scared. He was the only natural 3 on our team last year. This year we have J-Mart, Richards,Vez and possible Abell.

If Abell comes to X, he'll have to sit out a year.

mistabeecee41
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
If Abell comes to X, he'll have to sit out a year.

damnit. hoped to update my post before my lack of knowledge got called out.

bobbiemcgee
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Immediately elgible according to Shannon:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2013/05/16/aleksander-vezenkov-commits/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He's 6 '8-9" 200-205 and supposed to be helluva shooter. Only 17, Jmart could be his Dad.

bobbiemcgee
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
http://www.arisbc.gr/en/Aleksandar-Vezenkov

Charlesbt4
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I love the possibility that we could see some bigger lineups, similar to the ones played under Miller. In this case, with Christon, Martin, Vezenkov, and two power forwards on the court at the same time.

casualfan
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
The line in Shannon's article about him playing pro ball for Aris in Greece has me worried.

Even if he didn't get paid it is my understanding that if anyone on the team got paid he is considered a professional. Unless that rule has changed he may be forced to sit out some games.

SM#24
05-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Only 17, Jmart could be his Dad.
Or it might be JMart calling Vez daddy

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
The line in Shannon's article about him playing pro ball for Aris in Greece has me worried.

Even if he didn't get paid it is my understanding that if anyone on the team got paid he is considered a professional. Unless that rule has changed he may be forced to sit out some games.
The rule is different for foreign players because the systems are different in most other countries. Amateurs play on pro teams all the time. As long as he didn't receive anything more than "actual and necessary expenses to practice or compete" (generally meals, lodging, transportation and medical care) and was provided those benefits in kind instead of in cash "reimbursements" he should be fine. The NCAA will look very closely at him, but as noted before his father is a European front-office basketball professional and so he should be well aware of the NCAA policies. I wouldn't say there's ever a guarantee when it comes to the NCAA, and if they did it to Enes Kanter and UK they obviously would not hesitate to do it to V and XU, but we should have pretty good odds of clearance on this one.

casualfan
05-16-2013, 04:51 PM
The rule is different for foreign players because the systems are different in most other countries. Amateurs play on pro teams all the time. As long as he didn't receive anything more than "actual and necessary expenses to practice or compete" (generally meals, lodging, transportation and medical care) and was provided those benefits in kind instead of in cash "reimbursements" he should be fine. The NCAA will look very closely at him, but as noted before his father is a European front-office basketball professional and so he should be well aware of the NCAA policies. I wouldn't say there's ever a guarantee when it comes to the NCAA, and if they did it to Enes Kanter and UK they obviously would not hesitate to do it to V and XU, but we should have pretty good odds of clearance on this one.

That is not my understanding of how the rule works, but we shall see. It's been a few years since I was familiar with it so it may have changed.

THRILLHOUSE
05-16-2013, 05:05 PM
We might need to hold off our enthusiasm. Vezenkof says he has not made a final decision but had to commit due to some rule that said he had to by May 20. Sorry for the lack of details, but Google Chrome translate kind of butchered his quotes so I'm not 100% sure what he said:

http://www.pressaris.gr/%CE%B2%CE%B5%CE%B6%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%BA%CE%BF%CF%86-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%BF-pressaris-%CE%B4%CE%B5%CE%BD-%CE%AD%CF%87%CF%89-%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%86%CE%B1%CF%83%CE%AF%CF%83%C E%B5%CE%B9-%CE%B1%CE%BA%CF%8C

GoMuskies
05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Sounds like it is either Xavier or stay with him pro club. This gives him the option to come to Xavier (to the exclusion of any other U.S. school), but he may stick with the pros. That's not as good.

Masterofreality
05-16-2013, 05:12 PM
It's not a final decision yet folks. This from a few minutes ago:

@Gus_bball: Nothing has written in stone about Vezenkov's future,as he mentioned to pressaris.gr he'll take his final decision after the Greek playoffs.

paulxu
05-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Are there any rules regarding LOI timing to get a scholarship?

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
That is not my understanding of how the rule works, but we shall see. It's been a few years since I was familiar with it so it may have changed.

Casualfan, click here (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/CBSA.pdf) and go to page 19. For all sports except men's ice hockey and skiing, a player is deemed to have played on a professional team (and hence relinquished his amateur eligibility) only if the individual player receives "more than actual and necessary expenses for participation on the team."

Technically it's not a different rule for foreign players, but there just aren't that many high-level pro teams that bring on unpaid high schoolers in the US. You do, however, see high school and college soccer players playing for free on pro and semi-pro teams during the summer all the time.

Charlesbt4
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Personally, I don't believe that Vezenkov will stay with his professional team. If he intended to do so, why would he have made sure to retain his amateur status for this long, rather than simply becoming a professional player?

bobbiemcgee
05-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Hope he comes. This kid is just what we need. Crazy fans in the EuroWars. He needs a break.

paulxu
05-16-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm guessing my LOI question was a dumb one, but what do I know.

Here's another: would Shannon report it in the paper if she hadn't verified with someone at X?

ballyhoohoo
05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
I would not put 100% into that article as it is on the teams page. He could be saying things as to not rock the boat during the play offs

LA Muskie
05-16-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm guessing my LOI question was a dumb one, but what do I know.

Here's another: would Shannon report it in the paper if she hadn't verified with someone at X?
I don't think there is any question about him signing the LOI. The university can't comment on him until the paperwork arrives, but I understand that should happen fairly quickly.

The problem is that unlike other recruits, the LOI isn't necessarily worth all that much. By all reports he was choosing between Xavier and pro ball in Europe. The LOI would keep him from going to another US school and playing, but that has never been a concern. The LOI won't protect us from the real risk -- him deciding to stay in Europe and go pro.

That said, I agree that it doesn't make much sense that he would have painstakingly maintained his amateur status -- in particular this year -- if he didn't prefer to play college ball. So I remain confident, but the LOI admittedly provides less security in this case.

Masterofreality
05-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Yep. Not a done deal yet by an means. He would be locked up for XU in the states, but he could still stay and play in Europe.

@GeoS31178: Vezenkov update, his father said "would stay in @ARISBCgr if coach Aggelou re-sign" http://t.co/rbqErEvaeV

BandAid
05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Yep. Not a done deal yet by an means. He would be locked up for XU in the states, but he could still stay and play in Europe.

@GeoS31178: Vezenkov update, his father said "would stay in @ARISBCgr if coach Aggelou re-sign" http://t.co/rbqErEvaeV
So it's time to start campaigning this Aggelou guy to get over himself so we can get Vez!

paulxu
05-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I tried to read that link but it was all Greek to me.

xu95
05-17-2013, 08:04 AM

I hope he can either put on a Jimmy or keep it in his pants. :rolleyes:

xu95
05-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Good news to hear. The most important thing is getting him here and on a good workout/diet regime. Many foreign players simply haven't eaten enough to take on American player's strength in the post right away.

Maybe he should get a license to carry a concealed weapon. Only if it had rubber bullets though.

xu95
05-17-2013, 08:19 AM
LOIs can only be signed during the official LOI periods, the last one of which was in February. He will officially become a member of Xavier university when he registers for classes with the bursar.

LA Muskie
05-17-2013, 08:22 AM
LOIs can only be signed during the official LOI periods, the last one of which was in February. He will officially become a member of Xavier university when he registers for classes with the bursar.

Actually the regular signing period ended May 15th (Wednesday). He probably signed before then.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ItsAllAboutTheX
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Please come to Xavier and get a college degree Александър Везенков! (and win a lot of games for X too)

xu95
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Actually the regular signing period ended May 15th (Wednesday). He probably signed before then.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

I stand corrected.

Cheesehead
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
This is the stuff that keeps me up at night. I need to know if this kid is coming or not, damnit!

BMoreX
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2013/05/17/more-on-vezenkov/

bobbiemcgee
06-04-2013, 11:07 AM
More on Alex, apparently a smart kid:

http://www.local12.com/content/local_sports/story/Xavier-Mens-Basketball-Receives-National-Letter/4lZwcr8YqEuKS3ZB9m9hZw.cspx?rss=35

Sister preceded him to US.

Also, looks like maybe he can make ft's.

GoMuskies
06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Just ordered my Final Four tickets. I fully expect this kid to be fantastic. No pressure.

casualfan
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Just ordered my Final Four tickets. I fully expect this kid to be fantastic. No pressure.

He has to decide to show up first.

paulxu
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Justin Doellman 2.0

GoMuskies
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Justin Doellman 2.0

I'll be disappointed if he's not substantially better than Doellman.

paulxu
06-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I gotta wait to see if he'll bang inside with the bigs.

casualfan
06-04-2013, 03:21 PM

He's 6-8 210 lbs. Also, he is European. I'm not holding my breath.

SixFig
06-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Insert joke here

ArizonaXUGrad
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Insert joke here

We have Stainbrook/Farr/Phillmore/Reynolds. I am hoping for a guy who can front his man on defense and a guy who can shoot 15 footers consistently.

BandAid
06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Insert joke here

No homo?

ammtd34
06-05-2013, 07:53 AM
If he's the exact same as Doellman, I'll be happy. If he's better, I'll be ecstatic.

bobbiemcgee
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Am I crazy, or does anybody else think this guy might be a Starter? (if he comes, of course) Supposed to be the best NCAA prospect in all of Europe. Can't wait to see him in action.

ArizonaXUGrad
06-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Am I crazy, or does anybody else think this guy might be a Starter? (if he comes, of course) Supposed to be the best NCAA prospect in all of Europe. Can't wait to see him in action.

We will have to wait and see and hopefully he comes. I doubt he will be able to defend well enough to start. There is a reason Euros don't come on as freshman and blow everyone away at the D1 level.

RealDeal
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
How good was JMart's D last year? I really don't remember.

GoMuskies
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I would not be shocked. Minutes (and the starting role) are clearly up for grabs at his position.

waggy
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Martin wipes the floor with him. Child please.

ammtd34
06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Maybe he does. But it would be the first person he's wiped the floor with.

mistabeecee41
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Maybe he does. But it would be the first person he's wiped the floor with.

Just looked at J-Mart's stats from last year and am SHOCKED he shot 43% from the floor. I expected it to be mid 30's.

PMI
06-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Exactly what are you basing that off of? You realize we're talking about Justin Martin, right?

waggy
06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
He's a scrawny white boy from Europe. Child please.

ArizonaXUGrad
06-07-2013, 05:47 PM
He's a scrawny white boy from Europe. Child please.

The question is whether a 6'8 200# kid from Europe out plays a 6'6 205# Justin Martin who is rumored to be lazy and inconsistent. I say probably not, but if the kid shows up and out hustles Martin I could see him getting PT if he can play any defense. Yes Martin has a whopping 5# on the kid but he is giving up 2 inches. If anything hopefully Vezenkov and Richards (6'6 210# and is a hustle guy) being there forces Martin to work to ensure his place in the starting lineup.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I was looking for Vezenkov’s info and found some interesting articles. I included some links in the “Adam Zagoria (ZagsBlog) Big East Pre-Season Rankings” thread. Here are two additional links for those interested.

Here you will see a decent scouting report: http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1423/aleksandar-vezenkov/

Here you can find Vezenkov’s per game statistics at the Greek Pro League: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Aleksandar_Vezenkov/203543#Player%20Stats

ArizonaXUGrad
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I was looking for Vezenkov’s info and found some interesting articles. I included some links in the “Adam Zagoria (ZagsBlog) Big East Pre-Season Rankings” thread. Here are two additional links for those interested.

Here you will see a decent scouting report: http://www.eurohopes.com/player/1423/aleksandar-vezenkov/

Here you can find Vezenkov’s per game statistics at the Greek Pro League: http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Aleksandar_Vezenkov/203543#Player%20Stats

The stats are nothing spectacular but when you remember he was playing in a pro league at 17 they become pretty good.

bobbiemcgee
06-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Dug up some old video from last yr:

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_2bqXUaQOJwYn9c2ymJyFx0.gameID_8807-C-2-1.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2012.roundID_8805.html

ammtd34
06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
This is from a few days ago

http://botevgrad.com/news/49499/Postavyat-Aleksandar-Vezenkov-v-elitna-klasaciya-pri-novobrancite/

Place Alexander Vezenkov an elite ranking for recruits

One of the biggest talents Alexander Vezenkov is at a crossroads. 17-year-old basketball player will decide whether to stay in the Greek Aris with which to sign his first professional contract or entering the United States to continue his education and career at Xavier University.

Overseas fingers crossed youngster to choose exactly Xavier, and even find it one of the top five rookies in conference "Big East" for the upcoming season. Alexander Vezenkov expected to make its decision by the end of the week, according to media reports in Greece.

A few weeks ago one of the best young basketball players signed scholarship papers to Xavier University.

Summer for Alexander Vezenkov just begun, he will be involved with the youth national team U18 European Championship, which will be held in Liepaja and Vilnius from 18 to 28 July

JTG
06-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Yipes, hope he sees playing in US @ power forward U (X) as a better path to NBA.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
The U18 Bulgarian team is preparing for the Division A European Championships to be played during July 18-28, 2013. This competition should provide us several news and highlights on Aleks. Recently the U18 Bulgarian team played against Romania in Romania in a preparatory/friendly match. Aleks was the top scorer. Here is the news link:

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/Bulgaria/news/Bulgaria_U18_cruise_past_Romania_U18_in_Targoviste/320778

As you can see, Bulgaria just kicked Romania’s butt. However, I checked and it does not seem that Romania is even close of being a powerhouse within the European basketball community (they play in the U18 European Division B), much less in the World. As a result, we can’t put much weight on this performance. Bulgaria is in Group C, with Spain, Italy and Latvia. Spain appears to be one of the top teams and Latvia to be a solid team. Let’s see how he does against better competition.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
06-28-2013, 05:59 PM
I hope this kid decides to attend XU. He can help diversify our offense.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_,mKSqXqSGmgZM7SZWoMrz3.articleMode_on.html

casualfan
07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Any news on this kid? I see goxavier.com has a profile set up for him so maybe that is good news, but I thought we'd have heard of a firm decision by now.

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Any news on this kid? I see goxavier.com has a profile set up for him so maybe that is good news, but I thought we'd have heard of a firm decision by now.

Chris Mack has expressed confidence that he is coming, so otherwise all you can do is wait until August after he fulfills previously made basketball commitments.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Chris Mack has expressed confidence that he is coming, so otherwise all you can do is wait until August after he fulfills previously made basketball commitments.

Yeah, i know people have said Mack talked this way at the steak fry, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. What's he going to say? "yeah, we took this kid, but I'm not sure he'll ever set foot on campus".

The reason i brought it up is I thought one of the articles that has been posted awhile back said they expected a decision from him within a week or two.

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't think it would kill Mack to admit of a minor possibility that Vez may still go pro despite his commitment while also expressing confidence that he will be here in August, if that were the case. Any doubt you might have would be better placed in whether Mack's confidence is going to be an accurate prediction. Coaches tend to have good reads on their players, current and future, but it's never perfect.

But, if you're taking Mack's word with a grain of salt, you should take anything Vez says to the media with a huge grain of salt. Even if he were 100% sure about leaving for the U.S., Vez would not likely express that publicly while he is still playing. What decent teamate would? "Yeah, we're still competing and trying to win a championship, but after this, I'm done with these guys." Good teammates (and good people) tend to wait until the season is over before making their plans definite to the media. Hell, in one coach's case, just as the season ends is still not an appropriate time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvW0SGEqC5k

ammtd34
07-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah, i know people have said Mack talked this way at the steak fry, but I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. What's he going to say? "yeah, we took this kid, but I'm not sure he'll ever set foot on campus".

The reason i brought it up is I thought one of the articles that has been posted awhile back said they expected a decision from him within a week or two.

I saw another article (that needed translated) that said the same thing. Vezenkov and his dad are meeting with his team's front office this week and telling them their plans. It didn't say anything about which way he was leaning. The article was posted on Saturday.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I saw another article (that needed translated) that said the same thing. Vezenkov and his dad are meeting with his team's front office this week and telling them their plans. It didn't say anything about which way he was leaning. The article was posted on Saturday.

Ok, thanks. I hate to say it but after the last few years I take it with a grain of salt anytime I hear someone associated with X being optimistic regarding freshman showing up and/or being eligible.

ammtd34
07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Translated Article (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbball.bg%2Fpost%2Freshavat-badeshteto-na-vezenkov-do-sedmitsa%2F7570%2Fbalgari-v-chuzhbina%2F15%23.Uc6067sAnCc.facebook)

Take it for what it's worth.

BMoreX
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
@slrussell: #Xavier coach Chris Mack is headed to Latvia this month to watch Aleksandar Vezenkov play in the U18 European Championships.

@slrussell: Said Mack: "I have zero hesitation that Alex will be here at Xavier in the fall." #Xavier

GoMuskies
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
@slrussell: #Xavier coach Chris Mack is headed to Latvia this month to watch Aleksandar Vezenkov play in the U18 European Championships.

Hopefully Chris is taking two return airline tickets with him to Latvia.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe I'm just being a cynic, but if he has no hesitation about him coming then why is he taking time out of his schedule to go pay him a visit.

I understand he is playing in a big tourney, but it isn't like that's an easy trip to make.

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe I'm just being a cynic, but if he has no hesitation about him coming then why is he taking time out of his schedule to go pay him a visit.

I understand he is playing in a big tourney, but it isn't like that's an easy trip to make.

Mack (and I think head coaches in general) also take the time to visit committed recruits, just to check up on them and let them know they aren't forgotten after the ink has dried on those LOIs.

GoMuskies
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
What else does Mack have to do in July? I understand Latvia is a hotbed for sex tourism.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Mack (and I think head coaches in general) also take the time to visit committed recruits, just to check up on them and let them know they aren't forgotten after the ink has dried on those LOIs.

I guess we just don't typically hear about those visits. I don't recall hearing anything about him visiting Randolph or Richards once they signed, but maybe I just missed it.

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I guess we just don't typically hear about those visits. I don't recall hearing anything about him visiting Randolph or Richards once they signed, but maybe I just missed it.

Yeah, I guess it's not often reported because the media assumes most fans won't be too intersted in it. "Oh, he's checking in on a guy that we already know will be here next year. Okay, whatever." I do remember hearing on Scout that he was going out to see them though; it was just mentioned in passing.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I guess it's not often reported because the media assumes most fans won't be too intersted in it. "Oh, he's checking in on a guy that we already know will be here next year. Okay, whatever." I do remember hearing on Scout that he was going out to see them though; it was just mentioned in passing.

Learn something new every day. I still won't stop wondering until he shows up on campus and more importantly suits up for game one.

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Learn something new every day. I still won't stop wondering until he shows up on campus and more importantly suits up for game one.

I think I learned about it in Next in Line (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2010/10/29/the-book-on-mack/). Good, quick read, by the way. As for Vez, I'm reasonably confident he will be here, but there is enough uncertainty that I won't be writing him into any lineups (figuratively or in the blog) until he arrives in August. Until then, I wish him good luck in the U18 championships. In that age group, he's one of the star players, so I wonder if it's available to watch on TV or online.

As for Mack, we're in a quiet period right now, and the dead period starts on July 6 and goes through the end of the month. There are exceptions to that dead period for evaluation periods July 10-14, 17-21, and 24-28, during which Mack will be very busy, so these first ten days of the month just after the Big East celebration are a great time to fly over the Atlantic.

Here's the calendar (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/recruiting+calendars/2012-13/2012-13+ncaa+division+i+mens+basketball+recruiting+cale ndar), and here's an explanation (http://recruitlook.com/blog/id_1816-dead-period-contact-period-quiet-period.html)of the different periods of time, which I really didn't understand until I looked it up just now.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Casual Fan: I have no inside information, nor any other kind of info, but who says that Mack is making the trip exclusively to see AV. I mean, of course he is going to check on him and talk to his father but he is going to be in front of the best young European players. Its no secret that Europeans are becoming better and better in basketball. So taking a look at other players who may be interested in attending college at the USA, making contacts with foreign national coaches that could give good recommendations of Xavier, etc., etc., etc. are just two of many opportunities for the X. Just saying.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I think I learned about it in Next in Line (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2010/10/29/the-book-on-mack/). Good, quick read, by the way. As for Vez, I'm reasonably confident he will be here, but there is enough uncertainty that I won't be writing him into any lineups (figuratively or in the blog) until he arrives in August. Until then, I wish him good luck in the U18 championships. In that age group, he's one of the star players, so I wonder if it's available to watch on TV or online.

As for Mack, we're in a quiet period right now, and the dead period starts on July 6 and goes through the end of the month. There are exceptions to that dead period for evaluation periods July 10-14, 17-21, and 24-28, during which Mack will be very busy, so these first ten days of the month just after the Big East celebration are a great time to fly over the Atlantic.

Here's the calendar (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/recruiting+calendars/2012-13/2012-13+ncaa+division+i+mens+basketball+recruiting+cale ndar), and here's an explanation (http://recruitlook.com/blog/id_1816-dead-period-contact-period-quiet-period.html)of the different periods of time, which I really didn't understand until I looked it up just now.

yeah, i'm familiar with the dead periods. It's odd they term it an exception for those dates when in reality if you look at the period of the 10th through the 28th only 6 of the 18 days aren't evaluation time. If anything the dead period during that time is the exception.

As for aleks and writing him into any lineups I would think he'll get minimal playing time and may even take a redshirt. Others in this thread have mentioned his physique in terms of playing the stretch 4 and I don't expect him to be game ready at the 3 this year. Not only that, but he'll be behind the eight ball in terms of summer workouts which can now involve the staff.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Casual Fan: I have no inside information, nor any other kind of info, but who says that Mack is making the trip exclusively to see AV. I mean, of course he is going to check on him and talk to his father but he is going to be in front of the best young European players. Its no secret that Europeans are becoming better and better in basketball. So taking a look at other players who may be interested in attending college at the USA, making contacts with foreign national coaches that could give good recommendations of Xavier, etc., etc., etc. are just two of many opportunities for the X. Just saying.

That may be an added benefit, but I highly doubt it played into his decision much if at all.

IMHO he is taking this trip for one reason and one reason only and that is to solidify this kids commitment.

GoMuskies
07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I'd be shocked if Vez does not get major minutes this year if he comes to X. I wouldn't even be surprised if he starts. Cannot imagine a redshirt unless he gets injured.

All just based on reading about him and never actually seeing him play, of course.

casualfan
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I'd be shocked if Vez does not get major minutes this year if he comes to X. I wouldn't even be surprised if he starts. Cannot imagine a redshirt unless he gets injured.

All just based on reading about him and never actually seeing him play, of course.

What position do you think he'll play?

GoMuskies
07-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Small forward

XUFan09
07-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Power forward.

ballyhoohoo
07-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Europe is an easy trip. Fly to anywhere in south east Asia or Oceania. Europe is child's play. I could make that flight and back in two days.

ballyhoohoo
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Combo forward? Can he jump off one foot?

Musketeer_15
07-11-2013, 07:49 PM
24 and 12 in his first Euro championship game sounds pretty good to me. There is chatter that he will announce his decision after the Euro championship

paulxu
07-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I think that was a warm up game for the upcoming championship rounds, but he's already practicing the BJ scream:

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/files/%7BCBB46306-0559-41D4-9A90-EC243F73A31A%7Dbig_h.jpg

ammtd34
07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
This was tweeted on Friday.

One of the greatest talents of Bulgarian basketball Vezenkov Alexander has decided to postpone a decision on his future. Currently he is preparing a youth national team U18 European Championship Division A, which will be held from 18th to July 28 in Latvia.

17-year-old basketball player has decided to focus on its obligations to the youth national team and the final decision about his future after his participation at the European Championship, according to the official website of Aris.

Vezenkov have two options in front of you - to join the team of Xavier University in the U.S., whose papers he signed about a month ago or staying in his club team Aris, signing a first professional contract.

Expected performances of Vezenkov European parvestvo for adolescents up to 18 years in Latvia to monitor personal Xavier coach Chris Mack.

GoMuskies
07-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Does that article claim Chris Mack is a pervert monitoring adolescents up to 18 years?

ammtd34
07-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I believe so.

ballyhoohoo
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
I think that was a warm up game for the upcoming championship rounds, but he's already practicing the BJ scream:

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/files/%7BCBB46306-0559-41D4-9A90-EC243F73A31A%7Dbig_h.jpg

He looks like a wild and crazy guy.

BandAid
07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
When does the Euro Championship end? I could look it up but I don't believe in that google machine

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
When does the Euro Championship end? I could look it up but I don't believe in that google machine

It starts on the 18 th and ends on July 28th. Here is the link.

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/

danaandvictory
07-16-2013, 06:36 AM
He looks like a wild and crazy guy.

You American girls with your big breasts all the time!

mistabeecee41
07-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Bad news. Bulgaria got demolished in their U-18 opener - lost 85-57 to Latvia.

Good news. Vezenkov was a monster. 24 pts (10/19) 17 boards and 3 assists.

BlueGuy
07-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Mack just tweeted something about being on a 9 hour flight to somewhere where they don't speak English.... Could he be in his way to see him, or possibly find us some more Euro players?

blueblob06
07-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Mack just tweeted something about being on a 9 hour flight to somewhere where they don't speak English.... Could he be in his way to see him, or possibly find us some more Euro players?

He's probalby dropping off some Xavier shirts to Vez.

paulxu
07-19-2013, 08:00 AM
I guess Bulgaria is not very good. They lost their second game to Italy 97-48.
Vez had 21/6/2, so another nice game for him.

More Cowbell
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Highlights from the Latvia game. Vezenkov is #7 on Green.
http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_2bqXUaQOJwYn9c2ymJyFx0.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2013.gameID_9422-C-2-1.html

BandAid
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I guess Bulgaria is not very good. They lost their second game to Italy 97-48.
Vez had 21/6/2, so another nice game for him.

That's funny, cause when I think of basketball superpowers I definitely think Bulgaria.

XUFan09
07-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I get the sense (off limited information, of course) that Bulgaria is in the second tier. They can beat up on a number of teams, but then can't handle a few others.

X-band '01
07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
That's funny, cause when I think of Quidditch superpowers I definitely think Bulgaria.

Fixed that for you.

paulxu
07-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Well, Mack got to see Vez in action against Spain I guess.
He had 1/2 of his teams points in a losing effort. Went for 28/9/3/2.
Now, if he'll just show up on campus in August.

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_2bqXUaQOJwYn9c2ymJyFx0.gameID_9422-C-6-3.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2013.roundID_9420.teamID_.html

More Cowbell
07-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Well, Mack got to see Vez in action against Spain I guess.
He had 1/2 of his teams points in a losing effort. Went for 28/9/3/2.
Now, if he'll just show up on campus in August.

http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_2bqXUaQOJwYn9c2ymJyFx0.gameID_9422-C-6-3.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2013.roundID_9420.teamID_.html

From an offensive perspective, I have a hard time imagining him not playing much this year. I watched all three games' highlights and this kid can play.

Also, the cut he took in the Italy game makes him look much more intense.

PMI
07-22-2013, 06:23 PM
From an offensive perspective, I have a hard time imagining him not playing much this year. I watched all three games' highlights and this kid can play.

Also, the cut he took in the Italy game makes him look much more intense.

It's really hard for me to decide what to predict for him. I've heard he is really talented and some well informed X fans I know think he will be a factor as a freshman for sure. But, then again, he is so young and thin still, and has never played American style basketball. To write off the notion that he might take some time to adapt (not suggesting you are doing so) seems silly to me, even if he does turn out to be one of the special ones who just gets it right away. There's pretty much always that question mark with freshman bigs, and considering how little we really know about this guy (i.e. how good really was his competition, is he ready for the physicality of NCAA basketball, is he perhaps much farther advanced than we even realize?) I think anyone's guess is as good as the next.

So, that said, I expect him to be First Team All-Big East and a projected lottery pick, until he decides to return.

LA Muskie
07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
It's really hard for me to decide what to predict for him. I've heard he is really talented and some well informed X fans I know think he will be a factor as a freshman for sure. But, then again, he is so young and thin still, and has never played American style basketball. To write off the notion that he might take some time to adapt (not suggesting you are doing so) seems silly to me, even if he does turn out to be one of the special ones who just gets it right away. There's pretty much always that question mark with freshman bigs, and considering how little we really know about this guy (i.e. how good really was his competition, is he ready for the physicality of NCAA basketball, is he perhaps much farther advanced than we even realize?) I think anyone's guess is as good as the next.

So, that said, I expect him to be First Team All-Big East and a projected lottery pick, until he decides to return.
Exactly. I think we spend too much time building up expectations around here (or, occasionally, deciding we should have none). Let the kid get in and play a bit... That said, while it may take him a while to get used to "American" basketball, I tend to think he's probably played at a higher level in Europe up to this point than most HS/AAU kids in the US. So we may have that going for us...

GoMuskies
07-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Kid will be a stud. From day one. I hope.

mistabeecee41
07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
After an off day yesterday - Vez is back to being a stud today. In another loss - he dropped 30 pts and 10 boards . 5-10 from 2, 6-8 from 3. Also had 3 assists to 1 turnover and 4 steals.

I sure hope Mack is right about him coming over.

xufan02
07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Semaj and Vezenkov in pick and roll will be feared in the BigEast.

nkymuskie
07-23-2013, 12:31 PM
After an off day yesterday - Vez is back to being a stud today. In another loss - he dropped 30 pts and 10 boards . 5-10 from 2, 6-8 from 3. Also had 3 assists to 1 turnover and 4 steals.

I sure hope Mack is right about him coming over.

Geez. No matter the competition level those are solid basketball numbers. I hope we can find some highlights from that game.

PMI
07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
He did look really impressive in the highlights I saw. He made more deep shots than there were people in the stands, so perhaps the competition was truly garbage, but his stroke is pure. What impressed me most was how he looked off the dribble. He had a better handle and burst than I expected. Very intriguing prospect to say the least. Unfortunately, part of the intrigue also involves following him on an almost daily basis until he's actually in Cincinnati.

More Cowbell
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Judging by the box score, he is playing the 3. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether he will learn the 3 or the 4 this year? Most players are only able to focus on one position.

paulxu
07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
He made more deep shots than there were people in the stands,

In the Spain game there was an announced attendance of 200. If correct it included all coaches and teams.
Tried to find Mack in the stands, and he might be there near the end of the video sitting by himself, white shirt, on the isle behind the Bulgarian bench.

Would he be allowed to talk to Vez during that trip...or only watch?

XUFan09
07-23-2013, 06:41 PM
I *think* since Vez signed an LOI, they can communicate just as if he was on campus. If an exception is not made for recruits with an LOI, though, then he can only watch and can say no more than "Hi" if they walk by each other in the gym.

paulxu
07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Chris Mack ‏@CoachChrisMack 3h
If the head coach is sitting there, you are his guy! If he ain't, you ain't. Last 5 days of the July period. #Vegas/Orlando/FtWayne/AC

I hope that works in Latvia.

HAB67
07-23-2013, 09:33 PM
AV is certainly putting up the numbers, albeit on a weak team. He continues to lead all players in the U18 tournament in scoring and across five games leads Bulgaria in scoring, rebounds, assists, and steals. He is playing a lot of minutes, but evidently earns them.

TEAM LEADERS

Category Player Avg
PTS A. Vezenkov 23.2
RT A. Vezenkov 9.2
AS A. Vezenkov 2.8
ST A. Vezenkov 1.4
BS A. Peychinov 0.6

bobbiemcgee
07-24-2013, 04:51 PM
http://u18men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid_2bqXUaQOJwYn9c2ymJyFx0.playerID_86100.compID_8 aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2013.roundID_9422.teamID_253.ht ml

ArizonaXUGrad
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
His team got pounded pretty hard the whole tournament. I wonder when he plans to make his decision.

mistabeecee41
07-25-2013, 04:01 PM
His team got pounded pretty hard the whole tournament. I wonder when he plans to make his decision.

Frischilla Retweeted this recently. Seems to be the scouting director at some European basketball website. Chad Ford and DraftExpress both follow the guy so I suspect he is reliable. Not any kind of groundbreaking information but it seems as if it's not as set in stone as Mack has made it seem.

Rafal Juc ‏@ 24 Jul
@franfraschilla Actually Vezenkov still didn't make his mind. Was supossed to decide before July. Has some pro offers on table, though.

https://twitter.com/rafjuc

bigdiggins
07-25-2013, 04:04 PM

No Homo?

paulxu
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Chris Mack ‏@CoachChrisMack 23 Jul
If the head coach is sitting there, you are his guy! If he ain't, you ain't. Last 5 days of the July period. #Vegas/Orlando/FtWayne/AC

I hope this works in Latvia too.

Backyard Champ
07-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Forget you posted almost the same exact post a few days ago? Or am I missing something here?

paulxu
07-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Damn. You're only missing that I'm old.
When I posted it the first time, I was thinking of Mack's trip.
This time I was thinking about the likelihood of Vez actually coming vs. going pro.
Next time I post it I hope it's to celebrate his arrival on campus.
(has another bourbon)

bobbiemcgee
07-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Finished the U18 with a win. Probably cuz he went off for 32/16:

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/Bulgaria/news/U18_European_Championship_Bulgaria_finish_campaign _with_victory/326314

Looks like he played 343 out of 360 minutes.

GreatWhiteNorth
07-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Can't wait to see AV in X uniform. If all goes well, he should be on campus practising with the other recruits in a matter of weeks, if not earlier.

More Cowbell
07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Alexander Vezenkov: Good coach is the one who has the courage to put a young player when the ball money

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbball.bg%2Fpost%2Faleksandar-vezenkov-dobar-trenaor-e-tozi-koyto-ima-smelostta-da-pusne-edin-mlad-igrach-kogato-topkata-pari%2F8194%2Fbalgariya%2F2

article translated with Google

paulxu
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
That translator is on deam.
But I did enjoy these:

Everyone told me to play with 20-year-olds to help where it is safe. But I would never leave my boys alone!

= I've got ganstas in that locker room

Vezenkov is on the verge of an important step in your life when you have to decide whether to tighten suitcases Xavier University

= Zip 'em Up!

bobbiemcgee
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
That translator is on deam.

.....leave my boys alone? .......... ball money?

casualfan
07-29-2013, 12:01 PM
The longer this goes the more apprehensive I get.

More Cowbell
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM
The longer this goes the more apprehensive I get.

Chris Mack is convinced he is going to come and that is enough for me. I imagine he has had plenty of conversations with Vezenkov and his father. He is playing for his country and is not taking summer classes. There is no need for Vezenkov to hurry up and come over to the US.

Milhouse
07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Well in about 3 weeks we'll know one way or another. Not too concerned about it honestly. Would be great if he comes but just doesn't seem real to me honestly since he's not here yet.

LA Muskie
07-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Chris Mack is convinced he is going to come and that is enough for me. I imagine he has had plenty of conversations with Vezenkov and his father. He is playing for his country and is not taking summer classes. There is no need for Vezenkov to hurry up and come over to the US.
How do we know Chris is convinced?

paulxu
07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
He made a second trip to an empty gym in Latvia to watch him?

LA Muskie
07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
He made a second trip to an empty gym in Latvia to watch him?
Can't that cut either of two (or more) ways? I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm just trying to gather whether we are taking Chris at his public word (which is essentially marketing fluff) or if anyone has any actual inside info on the topic that can be shared (and I don't need to know your sources, but I'd like to hear that it is more than "Chris said it at the Steakfry").

paulxu
07-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I have no sources. We're lucky to have phones down here.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

waggy
07-30-2013, 12:04 AM
If he doesn't get paid to play he'll be here. How hard is that?

LA Muskie
07-30-2013, 01:12 AM
If he doesn't get paid to play he'll be here. How hard is that?

Well gee... Thanks for clarifying that for me Mr. Master of the Obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

waggy
07-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Seemed to me a lot people were going out of their way to not state the obvious. Whatever.

powerofX
07-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Can't that cut either of two (or more) ways? I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm just trying to gather whether we are taking Chris at his public word (which is essentially marketing fluff) or if anyone has any actual inside info on the topic that can be shared (and I don't need to know your sources, but I'd like to hear that it is more than "Chris said it at the Steakfry").

LA...I hope Aleks is here as he would be a great asset. However, I took the Latvia trip the way you have implied here. If he was 100% coming there would be no need to make the trip. Instead, just communication on how to get here, when, what to work on prior to coming, etc. I took the Latvia trip as one final recruiting push. Kind of a look you in the eye and say...see this is how much we want you at the end of the summer.

xufan02
07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
LA...I hope Aleks is here as he would be a great asset. However, I took the Latvia trip the way you have implied here. If he was 100% coming there would be no need to make the trip. Instead, just communication on how to get here, when, what to work on prior to coming, etc. I took the Latvia trip as one final recruiting push. Kind of a look you in the eye and say...see this is how much we want you at the end of the summer.

False, Mack had scheduled the return trip when Vezenkov committed back in May. It had been on the books. Also the staff feels Extremely confident he is coming.

casualfan
07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
False, Mack had scheduled the return trip when Vezenkov committed back in May. It had been on the books. Also the staff feels Extremely confident he is coming.

So you're disregarding the possibility that Mack and Co have known from the jump that Vezenkov would have a decision to make and a trip by Mack could help him make it?

More Cowbell
07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6fiJ_Ngkk

xufan02
07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Mack made the trip because he told Vezenkov he would. Just like Mack was front and center at all of Edmond Sumners games in July; even though he is comitted, it is a respect thing. You show your committed prospects as much love as your uncommitted. The staff is extremly confident he is coming, and they were prior to the trip too.

xufan02
07-31-2013, 01:47 PM
FYI, the first minute of that highlight video is from the U18 last year, and the second half starting a the :56 mark is from this year.

LA Muskie
07-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Mack made the trip because he told Vezenkov he would. Just like Mack was front and center at all of Edmond Sumners games in July; even though he is comitted, it is a respect thing. You show your committed prospects as much love as your uncommitted. The staff is extremly confident he is coming, and they were prior to the trip too.
With all due respect, I have not seen anything to suggest that the bolded portion above is true. It may be, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest it is one way or another.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that I don't think he'll show. I honestly have no idea. Which is why I've asked. But aside from a worthless LOI and Chris's statement that he expects him to join the team at the end of the summer (what else would he say?) there has been very little to suggest what he is going to do one way or another. Aleks himself hasn't exactly been screaming from the rooftops...

If you have some insight, I'd love to hear it -- be it here, on Scout, or by PM. I don't need your sources; I just need to know whether it's more than a public statement that Chris made.

casualfan
07-31-2013, 02:38 PM
With all due respect, I have not seen anything to suggest that the bolded portion above is true. It may be, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest it is one way or another.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that I don't think he'll show. I honestly have no idea. Which is why I've asked. But aside from a worthless LOI and Chris's statement that he expects him to join the team at the end of the summer (what else would he say?) there has been very little to suggest what he is going to do one way or another. Aleks himself hasn't exactly been screaming from the rooftops...

If you have some insight, I'd love to hear it -- be it here, on Scout, or by PM. I don't need your sources; I just need to know whether it's more than a public statement that Chris made.

Thank you. At least someone else gets it. Why people take Mack's public comments on the subject as bible is beyond me. Like you said, what is he going to say? "well, we gave a scholly to a guy who may or may not come".

mistabeecee41
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm no expert, and I've never seen him play outside of highlight videos, but I just don't see him as a 3. Not knocking him, I definitely think that if he comes he can help out bigtime. Just don't see the quickness needed to play the 3 at the D1 level. I'm envisioning the defensive disaster that was Jeff Robinson playing the 3 out of necessity a few years back.

xufan02
07-31-2013, 02:56 PM

Not only have the two insiders on scout been consistent on him coming, but Mack himself was interviewed on July 3rd on ESPN 970 and was asked about Vezenkov. He said he talks to him everyday, got his housing deposit, and was excited to get out to see him at the U18 Championship. Also said that he would arrive on campus when most all students.

Below is the link on this site referencing the interiew:

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?25528-Chris-Mack-Interview-today

LA Muskie
07-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Not only have the two insiders on scout been consistent on him coming, but Mack himself was interviewed on July 3rd on ESPN 970 and was asked about Vezenkov. He said he talks to him everyday, got his housing deposit, and was excited to get out to see him at the U18 Championship. Also said that he would arrive on campus when most all students.

Below is the link on this site referencing the interiew:

http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?25528-Chris-Mack-Interview-today

That's not a fair reflection of what either Brian or Rick has said on Scout. They basically said that they have heard what Chris has said and have nothing to add. On other words we are working off what Chris has publicly said and that's it. There has been no "inside" information reported at all.

Again, I don't have any either. In just trying to get a sense of the true expectations. It seems no one really knows.

casualfan
07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Wasn't Mack pretty confident publicly that Jaylen and Myles would be cleared last year?

XUFan09
07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm no expert, and I've never seen him play outside of highlight videos, but I just don't see him as a 3. Not knocking him, I definitely think that if he comes he can help out bigtime. Just don't see the quickness needed to play the 3 at the D1 level. I'm envisioning the defensive disaster that was Jeff Robinson playing the 3 out of necessity a few years back.

All educated reports that I've heard puts him as a stretch 4. People just keep mentioning him as a 3 because of the tendency of people (or maybe just Xavier fans) to always shift a three-point shooter over to a shorter position. Justin Martin? We gotta get him time at shooting guard. He's actually looked better at the 4 than at the 3, but no big deal, throw him in ta the 2 because he can shoot. Griffin McKenzie? Let's get him time at the 3! James Farr? Ditto.

He's a stretch 4 that needs to put on muscle. Based on whatever need is, he might see time at the 3 spot, but that's definitely not his primary position.

EDIT: He'll have a great handle for a stretch 4 though.

xufan02
07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
That's not a fair reflection of what either Brian or Rick has said on Scout. They basically said that they have heard what Chris has said and have nothing to add. On other words we are working off what Chris has publicly said and that's it. There has been no "inside" information reported at all.

Again, I don't have any either. In just trying to get a sense of the true expectations. It seems no one really knows.

Snow and Rick have said nothing has changed in his recruitment, Period. Nothing has changed since he committed; he is coming to Xavier.

LA, I done trying to justify it, because you are going to continue to question or doubt his status until he shows anyways. Unless Vezenkov calls you directly you are going to be skeptical. Hell, I would imagine once you got off the phone with him you still wouldn't be satisfied.

paulxu
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM
FYI, the first minute of that highlight video is from the U18 last year, and the second half starting a the :56 mark is from this year.

If you go to the 2:00 mark on Cowbell's video, I think that's Mack on the end of the isle in the 2nd row, busily texting Mrs. Mack or MOR while Vez scores. Then again at the 2:05 mark he is now paying attention.

LA Muskie
07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Snow and Rick have said nothing has changed in his recruitment, Period. Nothing has changed since he committed; he is coming to Xavier.

LA, I done trying to justify it, because you are going to continue to question or doubt his status until he shows anyways. Unless Vezenkov calls you directly you are going to be skeptical. Hell, I would imagine once you got off the phone with him you still wouldn't be satisfied.

That's not true. Not at all. I'm not questioning anything. In just looking for info. Or clues beyond what were essentially press releases. If you are right that nothing has changed then we are in the same position as before: he is either coming to XU or going to play pro. What I'd like to hear is which one it is.

PMI
07-31-2013, 05:30 PM
That's not true. Not at all. I'm not questioning anything. In just looking for info. Or clues beyond what were essentially press releases. If you are right that nothing has changed then we are in the same position as before: he is either coming to XU or going to play pro. What I'd like to hear is which one it is.

I think the problem you're going to have is that you're looking for info that really doesn't exist. As I said on Scout, the only time anyone will know whether or not he's going to be here with 100% certainty, is when he's either here or not here in time for school. Patience is really the only option for anyone, coaches included. They expect him to come here by all accounts. Of course something can come up with any player, especially with the variable of him being from half way across the world. I get that the kid's got an alternative decision he can make, but there's nothing out there that suggests he's changed his mind. If the unfortunate day comes, when he does decide he's going pro back home, we will surely all be made aware of it as soon as possible, so what more assurance do you want? Nobody can predict the future, so there's really no reason to over think it.

LA Muskie
07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
I think the problem you're going to have is that you're looking for info that really doesn't exist. As I said on Scout, the only time anyone will know whether or not he's going to be here with 100% certainty, is when he's either here or not here in time for school. Patience is really the only option for anyone, coaches included. They expect him to come here by all accounts. Of course something can come up with any player, especially with the variable of him being from half way across the world. I get that the kid's got an alternative decision he can make, but there's nothing out there that suggests he's changed his mind. If the unfortunate day comes, when he does decide he's going pro back home, we will surely all be made aware of it as soon as possible, so what more assurance do you want? Nobody can predict the future, so there's really no reason to over think it.
I understand. Sadly I think my request for information has been blown out of proportion, but that's not your fault at all. I'm not looking for 100% certainty. I'm looking for anything else that might be out there. I don't think we can expect XU to say much about it, and for whatever reason he and his camp are being very quiet. I guess you are right -- patience is about our only choice right now because nobody with any info (XU and Aleks) is speaking.

More Cowbell
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://bball.bg/post/aleksandar-vezenkov-reshava-badeshteto-si-do-nyakolko-dni/8276/balgariya/2&usg=ALkJrhhYnW2bDFI9Bv3iiSDfjRGYLvPdzg

We should know shortly

casualfan
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://bball.bg/post/aleksandar-vezenkov-reshava-badeshteto-si-do-nyakolko-dni/8276/balgariya/2&usg=ALkJrhhYnW2bDFI9Bv3iiSDfjRGYLvPdzg

We should know shortly

That's odd that he apparently has a decision to make. According to some if not most in this thread he made his decision months ago and there is nothing to worry about.

mistabeecee41
08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
That's odd that he apparently has a decision to make. According to some if not most in this thread he made his decision months ago and there is nothing to worry about.

All along, the general consensus amongst European Basketball experts was that he had a decision to make between going pro or coming to X. Mack made a statement that made it seem set in stone. Shouldn't be a surprise except for those with selective hearing.

Xman95
08-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Actually, when Mack came on for an interview I asked him about A.V. and he basically said as much...he's very confident he would be heading to Xavier.

Backyard Champ
08-02-2013, 12:31 AM
I thought I remember reading that there was some rule that he had to commit by a certain date, which is why he committed. I took that as, he wasn't fully sure what he wanted to do, but if he didn't commit by the date, then playing college ball next year was not an option any more. This is why he still has a decision to make.

Or, I could have been completely off base and been drunk when I read something about this recruitment.

ammtd34
08-02-2013, 07:07 AM
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2013/08/fenerbahce-interested-in-vezenkov.html?m=1

This Says Fenerbache Is Interested But Seems Unlikely And My Phone Is Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every WOrd. Weird.

casualfan
08-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I thought I remember reading that there was some rule that he had to commit by a certain date, which is why he committed. I took that as, he wasn't fully sure what he wanted to do, but if he didn't commit by the date, then playing college ball next year was not an option any more. This is why he still has a decision to make.

Or, I could have been completely off base and been drunk when I read something about this recruitment.

There was a certain date he had to sign a LOI by. Since he'll either be playing at Xavier or professionally and if he plays professionally he'll no longer be an amateur the LOI really doesn't do anything.

JTG
08-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds like it is more a decision of which pro team, not between Xavier or going pro. If he came to X, the way the NBA is these days, he would probably sign a fat contract after his freshman or soph year.

More Cowbell
08-02-2013, 07:46 AM
There was a certain date he had to sign a LOI by. Since he'll either be playing at Xavier or professionally and if he plays professionally he'll no longer be an amateur the LOI really doesn't do anything.

He would never have to sign an LOI. All the LOI does is say if he is going to play college basketball, he has to play at X.

LA Muskie
08-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Actually, when Mack came on for an interview I asked him about A.V. and he basically said as much...he's very confident he would be heading to Xavier.
I'm sure that's true. I'm just not sure it means much. I don't mean that as a slight but what else can Chris say? If he wasn't sure do you think he would have said so? That's a serious question -- I don't know the answer and I think you might.

To me the key is what Aleks says. And right now he ain't talking.

XUFan09
08-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Since Alek could change his mind last minute or suddenly receive a crazy good pro offer he hadn't received before, this recruitment is unpredictable no matter what until he's on campus on move-in day.

UnCaged
08-02-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm sure that's true. I'm just not sure it means much. I don't mean that as a slight but what else can Chris say? If he wasn't sure do you think he would have said so? That's a serious question -- I don't know the answer and I think you might.

To me the key is what Aleks says. And right now he ain't talking.

Um, he could tell the truth? If he's confident that Alek will be at X, cool. If not, what harm does it do if he says, "I honestly don't know, we've done all we can." This isn't about a current athlete and asking if he's an a-hole or something similar. It's a direct question about a recruit who signed an LOI but has an option to play professionally overseas.

LA Muskie
08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Um, he could tell the truth? If he's confident that Alek will be at X, cool. If not, what harm does it do if he says, "I honestly don't know, we've done all we can." This isn't about a current athlete and asking if he's an a-hole or something similar. It's a direct question about a recruit who signed an LOI but has an option to play professionally overseas.

I'm well aware he could say that in theory. But my experience is that coaches are rarely that candid. My question to 95 was whether he thought Chris would be that candid under those circumstances. Again, I concede I just don't know.

bobbiemcgee
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Sounds like it is more a decision of which pro team, not between Xavier or going pro. If he came to X, the way the NBA is these days, he would probably sign a fat contract after his freshman or soph year.

Think He and his Dad knows this, so why not come to X and shoot for the NBA. Yay. I like that.

casualfan
08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2013/08/fenerbahce-interested-in-vezenkov.html?m=1

This Says Fenerbache Is Interested But Seems Unlikely And My Phone Is Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every WOrd. Weird.

I think this sheds some light on the situation. I didn't realize he has yet to turn 18 which could explain why he hasn't signed a pro contract yet. Sounds like we'll know a lot more on August 6th.

JTG
08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Think He and his Dad knows this, so why not come to X and shoot for the NBA. Yay. I like that.

Would it be against NCAA rules for D West to give him a call, saying " Spend a year or two at X, then hit the NBA " ?

casualfan
08-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Would it be against NCAA rules for D West to give him a call, saying " Spend a year or two at X, then hit the NBA " ?

I believe so.

LA Muskie
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I believe so.

Why? He has signed an LOI and likely is already registered if not enrolled. He's not really a "recruit" any more...

More Cowbell
08-03-2013, 01:45 PM
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://bball.bg/post/v-gartsiya-i-v-sasht-ochakvat-reshenieto-na-aleksandar-vezenkov/8337/balgariya/2&usg=ALkJrhiTdjUODhG1_YU-ay9fm2SzxfXRxw

Wonder which board the author has been reading?

mistabeecee41
08-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Sounds like it is just this one blogs take but this doesn't seem promising.

EuropeanProspects ‏
This does not really sound like Xavier is still an option for Aleksandar Vezenkov http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2013/08/fenerbahce-interested-in-vezenkov.html …

https://twitter.com/ChristopheEPcom

ballyhoohoo
08-03-2013, 08:49 PM
If he come he come. If he doesn't he doesn't.

Read euro blogs with the disclaimer that they will be euro slanted and keep in mind language, conversational prose is not a word for word black and white translations. It doesn't convey tone.

Plus what US sources do these euro reporters have. None. They have European sources, thus adding to the slant.

I personally think he's coming. Yes he could sign. Euro deal, and be tied to a club for five or six year (anyone who doesn't think a club will try to lock him up for that long is nuts). You lock him up, he gets drafted, the euro club sells his rights to the seating team for a ton, or they hold him hostage.

He comes to Xavier, plays great and could be in the NBA in 1-4 years.

Just my view. For what it's worth.

More Cowbell
08-04-2013, 07:22 AM

Read euro blogs with the disclaimer that they will be euro slanted and keep in mind language, conversational prose is not a word for word black and white translations. It doesn't convey tone.

Plus what US sources do these euro reporters have. None. They have European sources, thus adding to the slant.

I personally think he's coming. Yes he could sign. Euro deal, and be tied to a club for five or six year (anyone who doesn't think a club will try to lock him up for that long is nuts). You lock him up, he gets drafted, the euro club sells his rights to the seating team for a ton, or they hold him hostage.

He comes to Xavier, plays great and could be in the NBA in 1-4 years.

Just my view. For what it's worth.

Not saying this kid is Ricky Rubio, but his club kept him out of the nba so they could sell his rights.

JTG
08-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Not saying this kid is Ricky Rubio, but his club kept him out of the nba so they could sell his rights.

Thus a year or two at X and he doesn't have to worry about being held hostage in Europe.

mistabeecee41
08-04-2013, 09:39 AM
All of the major blogs are now posting that Vezenkov ain't coming. They're all probably using the same source, and as mentioned above they will have a Euro bias, but for now I'm on the pessimistic side of things. Probably the biggest twitter account for European transfer news (Stan, Doellman, D-Brown and Jason Love all follow them).

https://twitter.com/SportandoBasket

nkymuskie
08-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I was really starting to get excited for him. I think he had the potential to be a great player at X.

BandAid
08-04-2013, 10:21 PM

paulxu
08-05-2013, 06:37 AM
I guess all the mystery will be over soon. Vez is listed on our roster wearing number 10. I hope he comes.

Meanwhile, unless Stenger got Cantino's scholarship, we still have an open one I think.
Has anyone heard anything about using that one?

Milhouse
08-05-2013, 07:10 AM
I was really starting to get excited for him. I think he had the potential to be a great player at X.

Kind of early to write him off when it's all just rumors. Nothing from Vez himself yet...

casualfan
08-05-2013, 07:32 AM
EuropeanProspects ‏@ChristopheEPcom 1h
No Xavier for Aleksandar Vezenkov as he signed a pro contract with Aris Saloniki

Emiliano Carchia ‏@SportandoBasket 1h
Aris Thessaloniki signs Aleksandar Vezenkov to a three-year deal http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/greece/60912/aris-thessaloniki-signs-aleksandar-vezenkov-to-a-three-year-deal.html …

EuropeanProspects ‏@ChristopheEPcom 1h
No Xavier for Aleksandar Vezenkov as he signed a pro contract with Aris Saloniki

casualfan
08-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Burak Bal ‏@united_GFB 7m
vezenkov da yalan oldu.arisle 3 yillik imza atmis.kim bu 3-4 numara dedikleri

Translated...

Burak Bal @ united_GFB 7m
vezenkov signed a 3-year atmis.kim ​​oldu.arisle a lie they say that the number 3-4

casualfan
08-05-2013, 07:33 AM
http://www.scoutingcenter.net/index.php/mobile-feed-transactions-page/6978-l-aris-salonnico-rinnova-vezenkov.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Unless they're all getting bad info from the same spot it sounds like he signed a 3 year deal with Aris.

casualfan
08-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Here's the official release from Aris' website (http://www.arisbc.gr/el/-%CE%9F-%CE%91%CE%BB%CE%AD%CE%BE%CE%B1%CE%BD%CE%B4%CF%81%C E%BF%CF%82-%CE%92%CE%B5%CE%B6%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%BA%CE%BF%CE%B2-%CF%83%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD-%CE%91%CE%A1%CE%97-%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%84%CE%B1-%CE%B5%CF%80%CF%8C%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%B1-%CF%84%CF%81%CE%AF%CE%B1-%CF%87%CF%81%CF%8C%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%B1-)

Muskie
08-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Well that's a kick to the gut. Somewhat expected i guess.

GreatWhiteNorth
08-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I have always worried that this would happen. It's like "Sims" all over again. Now we have 2 scholarships available for 2013.

blueblob06
08-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Son of a.......

Thought we were finally going to have a full roster of scholarship players for a year, or at least only one short. Nope.

casualfan
08-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Son of a.......

Thought we were finally going to have a full roster of scholarship players for a year, or at least only one short. Nope.

I think you'll continue to see this as Mack seems to like to take a risk every so often.

What I mean by that is he goes after a guy who for one reason or another may not end up here (Reynolds/Davis w/ grades, Vezenkov w/ pro contract).

It's great when it pays off because you end up with a guy whose talent level is probably above what you're typically able to recruit on a regular basis, but part of taking risks is falling flat.

blueblob06
08-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Yep. I totally get that.

Sucks that we only have 10 scholasrhips players that can play this season now, with it being Abell's transfer-in year and now 2 open spots. I assume Stenger will get 1 of those open spots.

More Cowbell
08-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Yep. I totally get that.

Sucks that we only have 10 scholasrhips players that can play this season now, with it being Abell's transfer-in year and now 2 open spots. I assume Stenger will get 1 of those open spots.

Is everyone forgetting about Tim Stainbrook? X will be fine with two StainTrains next year.

Milhouse
08-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Total bummer but I guess I never felt like he was coming since he didn't do summer classes/DSL anyway.

XUFan09
08-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I think you'll continue to see this as Mack seems to like to take a risk every so often.

What I mean by that is he goes after a guy who for one reason or another may not end up here (Reynolds/Davis w/ grades, Vezenkov w/ pro contract).

Yes, Reynolds was an academic risk, but Myles wasn't. He never really had an issue with grades and was just screwed over by the NCAA retroactively not accepting a full year of his coursework.

casualfan
08-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Yes, Reynolds was an academic risk, but Myles wasn't. He never really had an issue with grades and was just screwed over by the NCAA retroactively not accepting a full year of his coursework.

Did he just do a year of prep school by choice then?

BMoreX
08-05-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm not overly upset at this because there was always a risk of him going pro anyway. Judging from some of the articles (and again, translation may have been messed up), but it seems like his stock only really rose after his great performance at the FIBA championships in July. I can't fault the kid for staying close to his home to get paid to play basketball. Remember, it's that choice or go to a foreign country and play without pay and take classes.

Does this change much for the Xavier roster? Maybe, but this certainly isn't a big loss like Wells was last year. Vezenkov would have been the third or fourth man off the bench anyway.

paulxu
08-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Mack picked a great week to vacation at the beach.
I'm also watching the grandkids at the beach. I'm going to go look for him and get some of that inside source stuff you guys always are talking about.

THRILLHOUSE
08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Well that's a kick to the gut. Somewhat expected i guess.

Yeah, disappointing but not shocking. Always seemed like we were Plan B for him in case he didn't get a pro offer. But as soon as he blew up during the U18 games I figured our chances were shot.

casualfan
08-05-2013, 10:21 AM
The only thing that bugs me about this a bit is that it continues a trend of Mack taking commitments from guys who don't end up helping the team.

Here is a list of the guys he has signed since he took over (doesn't include transfers):

2009:

- Jeff Robinson

2010:

- Jay Canty- Transferred after his freshman year. Averaged 14 and 6 for App State last year.
- Jordan Latham- Also transferred after his freshman year. Averaged 4 and 2 for Loyolla (MD).
- Justin Martin
- Griffin McKenzie- Transferred after his sophomore year without contributing much at X

2011:

- Dee Davis
- Dez Wells- Booted from Xavier. Transferred to Maryland.
- Jalen Reynolds- Ineligible to attend Xavier and goes to prep school.

2012:

- Semaj Christon
- Myles Davis- Ineligible to join the team. Can attend class and will hopefully be eligible this year.
- Jaylen Reynolds- Ineligible again. Can attend class and will hopefully be eligible this year.
- James Farr
- Chris Cantino- Ineligible his first year and has since transferred.

2013:

- Brandon Randolph
- Kamall Richards
- Aleksander Vezenkov- Chose to sign a deal with a Greek pro team.

Based on that list he has signed 16 players from high school, prep, or juco. 9 out of the 16 have had some sort of issue that has led them to miss time or leave the program (and we don't know for sure that Reynolds, Davis, Richards, and Randolph will be good to go this year although I don't have any reason to believe they won't).

Admittedly this doesn't take into account transfers where we've done very well (Travis Taylor, Philmore, Stain, Abell, etc.). At some point though I'd feel a lot better about things if we started to get better production out of the guys we sign from high school, preps, or jucos.