PDA

View Full Version : The People. The Tradition. The Excellence?

Billy
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm talking, of course, about THE Ohio State University.

17-11 (8-7) right now. Remaining schedule @ Minnesota, vs. Michigan State, vs. Purdue. Perhaps a first round Big Ten Tournament rematch against Michigan State if they remain the 5 seed.

Get this one: They are 1-9 against the RPI Top 50.

Yea, these guys just might not make the NCAA tourney after all. Anyone else (like me)here hoping they miss it?

94GRAD
02-27-2008, 03:22 PM
If you look at Florida's resume, they don't deserve to go either. That would mean both final teams wouldn't make it into the field.

Frank D.
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Yea, these guys just might not make the NCAA tourney after all. Anyone else (like me)here hoping they miss it?

I really hope they don't make it. They have to win the rest of their games (maybe they could lose one of those 2 at home, but I doubt it). The amazing thing here in Columbus is how little people care. Buckeye basketball is only a topic for conversation when the team is really good.

On Monday, Herbstreit was railing on the fans and students for the lack of support. He thinks it won't be long before Thad looks elsewhere to a place where basketball is king.

On a side note, there have been some complaints locally about Thad's inability to adapt or make adjustments to the offense this season. Clearly they can't score and some are blaming Thad.

American X
02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone else (like me)here hoping they miss it?

Sorry, they are just another team to me. I have moved beyond any animosity toward Matta or OSU.

Now, I simply revel in Xavier's awesomeness.

Michigan Muskie
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I care about Ohio State as much as I care about San Jose State. If a team compiles a resume worthy of a tournament bid, then I hope they get the call. If not, then I hope they don't. In this case, it would appear to be a tragic decision to invite OSU to the NCAA based on its current resume. Based on that, I hope they do not get a bid over an otherwise deserving team.

xudeltasig
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
If you look at Florida's resume, they don't deserve to go either. That would mean both final teams wouldn't make it into the field.

Is this that surprising considering the amount of talent that both teams lost to the NBA after last year? Obviously the hope is that a team can survive losing players early (and I'd argue that both of these teams have done that fairly well) but it's not always enough.

Nigel Tufnel
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
You're out of your element, American X! Nice avatar.

Frank D.
02-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Sorry, they are just another team to me. I have moved beyond any animosity toward Matta or OSU.

Now, I simply revel in Xavier's awesomeness.

If I didn't live in Columbus and have to listen to the OSU BS everyday, I really wouldn't care much about them either. As it stands, I hope they lose every game.

DC Muskie
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
If they don't make it, then my father and I won't have anything to talk about. Two of his boys went to Xavier, he got me hooked on Xavier basketball, but now for some reason, feels the need to keep me informed about Thad and his guys.

So I hope they make it, just so I can have something to talk about with my father.

Muskie
02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I'd personally laugh if Thad left for the IU job... it would serve those Buckeye fans right for those that claimed OSU was a "destination" job for basketball. Bloomington would love to have Thad.

Frank D.
02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd personally laugh if Thad left for the IU job... it would serve those Buckeye fans right for those that claimed OSU was a "destination" job for basketball. Bloomington would love to have Thad.

Personally, I can't see him taking another job, even at a basketball-first school. Lack of a rabid fanbase is usually reflected in money/adminstrative support for the program and the ability to get the top-notch recruits. That's just not the case at OSU. He's got the best facilities, makes a ton of money, and clearly he can attract talent to OSU. The only way I see him leaving is if he has always had that "Dream job" in mind, and even then, it would really take a lot to pry him away from OSU.

Billy
02-28-2008, 10:58 AM

That would be so excellent.

I enjoyed the Illinois/IU games the last two years because of the Gordon thing. Now with Sampson gone, there's a void to fill as far as bitter Big Ten rivalry.

I can't stand the Big Ten, so I enjoy the internal unrest.

American X
02-28-2008, 11:13 AM
You're out of your element, American X! Nice avatar.

I'm sorry, Nigel, you were over the line. Mark it zero. Next frame.

Same to you. Let's crank this season to 11.