PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Goals - 2013 Edition

ArizonaXUGrad
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Post them up here, maybe people have the same or similar from losing weight, toning up, or just consistent gym time. How about that 5k, your first triathlon, biking a century, or just across town?

What are they? Maybe Xavierhoops posters can keep you on track.

Mine? Wife has disallowed cycling for me until she gets pregnant so I am swimming, pumping iron, and running. I am working up to a triathlon if I can get back on the bike soon. Pumping iron has increased my weight a bit but not overly so.

nuts4xu
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Mine? Wife has disallowed cycling for me until she gets pregnant so I am swimming, pumping iron, and running.

I recommend kegel exercises to help your cause. These exercises will help you achieve more intense orgasms and will improve erections.

boozehound
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Fitness is a big part of my life now. I'm a reformed super-fattie. I used to weigh over 300lbs with a body fat % that had to be around 50%. That was 7 years ago now. I'm currently around 235lbs (at 6' tall) with ~22%-24% body fat. Want to get body fat in the 15%-17% range this year which means losing about 17lbs of fat and getting into the 215-220lb range.

I already do about 4-5 days per week 1+hrs per day of mixed cardio and weights so it's difficult to (realistically) increase exercise much. I already eat a reasonably healthy diet, but portion control is still a big problem for me. I also probably drink too much alcohol (~2 glasses of red wine a day during the week and maybe 3-4 on the weekend) but I don't have designs on stopping that any time soon!

I'm considering running a mile every morning when I wake up in addition to my current workout routine. I also have to get snacking and portions under control, which is where most of my weight loss will come from. I've never been a big fan of closely tracking what I eat but I may start keeping a food journal or counting calories.

If anybody out there is seriously overweight like I used to be: I cannot begin to describe the positive impact that my weight loss and overall fitness has had on my life. I feel much better, have much more confidence, and my stamina and energy are through the roof. It sounds horribly cliche, but it really has changed my life.

GoMuskies
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm shooting for the Las Vegas marathon November 17. I was up to running 10 miles at a time prior to the holidays, so the initial goal is to get back to that in the next several weeks, and then gradually work my way to 15 miles by June 30. From there, the actual marathon training starts.

Kahns Krazy
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I finished 2012 10 lbs under where I started. Not close to my goal, but at least the right direction. I would be pleased to continue to take 10 lbs off a year for the next few years, or drop 25 this year. I'm really working on avoiding the yo-yo weight loss then gain.

After taking 2012 off, I'm planning to run the half marathon at the Flying Pig, and hope to beat my 2011 time. I'm shooting for an 8:30 pace. I've picked the running back up in the first week, and so far everything feels pretty good. I'll be doing a short run into Eden Park soon to get a sense of where my hill-running stands, as that is a key part of running the Pig course for time.

I also have an extremely sad goal of one, good-form pull up from a dead hang (no flailing legs, etc.). My upper body strength has always been a weak spot. Hopefully a combo of strengthening and weight loss will get me there.

DC Muskie
01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I run my first half marathon on St. Patricks Day here in DC. I then run the Cherry Blossom 10 miler a few weeks later.

I've lost about 30 lbs since Labor Day. New work/life balance sure has helped. It's embarrassing to say but I hope to lose another 20 lbs by the spring. My weight training has improved greatly since this time last year thanks to some personal training.

I still do my best Jordan Crawford imitation every Wednesday night in a pick up basketball. 2012 focused on portion control, 2013 will lay more of the foundation of running and hopefully the end of yo-yo-yo weight loss and gain then loss again.

Good luck to everyone.

ballyhoohoo
01-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I would like to drop some more weight so I can have an endless snatch parade running through my house.

jhelmes37
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
To be a member of the 1200 club.

500 lb deadlift, 400 lb squat, 300 lb bench press or any combo that adds up to 1200.

It might take a couple more years. I'm at 400-275-290. My squat sucks.

I'm serious, too. I love powerlifting.

boozehound
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
To be a member of the 1200 club.

500 lb deadlift, 400 lb squat, 300 lb bench press or any combo that adds up to 1200.

It might take a couple more years. I'm at 400-275-290. My squat sucks.

I'm serious, too. I love powerlifting.

You aren't kidding. Those are kind of odd numbers (but still impressive). I'm surprised you don't squat more with a 400lb deadlift. I'm kind of the opposite of you: my deadlift sucks compared to my squat.

BBC 08
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I started Crossfit back in August of last year but have only really gone 2 to 3 times a week. My goal is to average at least 4 times a week and lose about 25 pounds.

For those looking to get into Crossfit I highly recommend it. Great workouts and is a real sense of community.

smileyy
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Fitness is a big part of my life now. I'm a reformed super-fattie. I used to weigh over 300lbs with a body fat % that had to be around 50%. That was 7 years ago now. I'm currently around 235lbs (at 6' tall) with ~22%-24% body fat. Want to get body fat in the 15%-17% range this year which means losing about 17lbs of fat and getting into the 215-220lb range.

You must be pretty...uh...jacked, to have that low of a body fat % at that "high" of a weight. I'm 6' tall, and 220 lbs, and around 30% body fat (yes, I'm a tub of goo). I'm looking to get down to about 180-190. I should probably be shooting for a body fat % instead, but in my current condition, weight is a good proxy for that.

For me, cutting out grains and sugars has been the most successful weight loss mechanism (seriously, like 2lbs/week) I've personally experienced. Lots of veggies, a good amount of beans, a good amount of fruit, and reduced amounts of meat is what comprises my diet these days.

jhelmes37
01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
You aren't kidding. Those are kind of odd numbers (but still impressive). I'm surprised you don't squat more with a 400lb deadlift. I'm kind of the opposite of you: my deadlift sucks compared to my squat.

I just started squatting barbell about 4 months ago. Should've been doing it a long time ago. And I'm 6'8". That is part of the issue. And I do real squats. Ass to grass, brother.

jhelmes37
01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
You must be pretty...uh...jacked, to have that low of a body fat % at that "high" of a weight. I'm 6' tall, and 220 lbs, and around 30% body fat (yes, I'm a tub of goo). I'm looking to get down to about 180-190. I should probably be shooting for a body fat % instead, but in my current condition, weight is a good proxy for that.

For me, cutting out grains and sugars has been the most successful weight loss mechanism (seriously, like 2lbs/week) I've personally experienced. Lots of veggies, a good amount of beans, a good amount of fruit, and reduced amounts of meat is what comprises my diet these days.

I lost 50 lbs in a year cutting out all carbs and eating nearly unlimited meats, eggs, and fats. And my lipid panel improved by leaps and bounds. My doc about shit when I told him. Then he saw my numbers and told me to go eat a porterhouse with a side order of butter.

True story.

Screw veggies and fruit. Gimme eggs and bacon.

drudy23
01-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Whatchu bench?

Whatcha bench?

smileyy
01-10-2013, 02:11 AM
I lost 50 lbs in a year cutting out all carbs and eating nearly unlimited meats, eggs, and fats. And my lipid panel improved by leaps and bounds. My doc about shit when I told him. Then he saw my numbers and told me to go eat a porterhouse with a side order of butter.

True story.

Pretty much everything we've been officially informed about nutrition is wrong. Carbs kill you; fats are essential.

boozehound
01-10-2013, 06:00 AM

I have a fairly muscular build and I have been lifting weights regularly for about 5 years now, but I definitely wouldn't say I'm "jacked". A big part of it is that I'm just heavy. I don't know if it's a bone density thing or what but I have always just weighted a lot. My wife watches the biggest loser. I see people on that show at the same height and weight that I used to be, but they look significantly fatter.

paulxu
01-10-2013, 06:40 AM
I see people on that show at the same height and weight that I used to be, but they look significantly fatter.

= bacon colored glasses.

XU-PA
01-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Not just focused on fitness but overall health.
I work a very physical job, schlepping crap all over the place pretty much every working hour. a fridge here, washer dryer there, haul out a furnace, couple bath tubs or a house full of furniture. My BP, Cholesterol all well under control, also taking med to prevent gout flare ups.
Problem is I just can't get weight back in line.
One year ago when we moved here to FLA I was about 265, pretty typical for me in the winter less active period living in Maine. First half a year down here stayed pretty much the same, not grossly fat or anything, but too big. 40 or so waist.
Went back on the lo lo lo carb diet that worked for me about 10 years ago at the end of May, buy the end of the summer I was down to 225, since then I've stayed pretty close, back up to about 230.
I'm just 6' so should be closer to 200,
So this year, even if it taks all f&$#in year I'm going to try my damndest to shed that last 30 and see for the first time since about 1977 a scale reading that starts with a 1!

XU-PA
01-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Pretty much everything we've been officially informed about nutrition is wrong. Carbs kill you; fats are essential.

Won't say everything we were told was wrong, if we actually ate carbs in moderation like we should all us fatties wouldn't be in the shape we are. I for one have spent decades tossing unlimited amounts of sugar and things like it, along with pasta and white bread down my pie hole,,,,,, yea pie and cake too.
If you look back in time at our leaner meaner society, we were a much trimmer group, the fatties were the royals, pols and rich pigs who had the cash to get to sugars, syrups and the rich crap that bulked them all up.
Try am american pioneers diet, that could turn us around, of course the job situation in the US would be pretty bleak, I blame my diet this year for the downfall of hostess. if the rest of us Xavier Hoops lardasses followed suit I suspect Keebler would be next

xu95
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm shooting for the Las Vegas marathon November 17. I was up to running 10 miles at a time prior to the holidays, so the initial goal is to get back to that in the next several weeks, and then gradually work my way to 15 miles by June 30. From there, the actual marathon training starts.

I ran that two years ago. Very, very crowded. I hear they did a much better job of managing it last year. I won't do it again though, I go to Vegas for debauchery and I felt like I ruined my first two days out there.

Besides the Indy half I do every year, I am thinking about running the Cleveland one in October. Was going to do the Lexington one at the end of March but changed my mind.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Add to my short list, I want to get some of my current swim times down close to where they were when I was 18 which was 19 years ago. God, I must be close to kicking the bucket by now.

I don't do all my old events but have hit 28 second 50 yard free and I was 23 seconds in HS and 6:51 500 yard free and I was a 4:58 in HS. I am looking to do an open water mile swim in under 22 minutes.

vee4xu
01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Get a Fitbit one and all. I got one for Christmas and even as a 1000 mile a year runner, it is a great tool to help the fitness program stay focused.

http://www.fitbit.com/

Muskie
01-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Get a Fitbit one and all. I got one for Christmas and even as a 1000 mile a year runner, it is a great tool to help the fitness program stay focused.

http://www.fitbit.com/

Vee did you find the fitbit accurately trackes your steps just based on your height? Or did you fill in tour strides online? Mine seems right sometimes and off others.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Kahns Krazy
01-11-2013, 08:00 AM

True story.

I think eventually doctors will find that certain genetic profiles are better suited to a low carb diet, and others work better with a more balanced diet.

I have better luck with a low carb diet because the higher protien foods satisfy me much quicker, so I snack far less. I can also find foods that I like in the low carb end for snacking, so I'm less inclined to "cheat" on a low carb diet.

The biggest problem is that low carb diets generally require more planning ahead, and protien is expensive compared to processed carb food.

Bacon is the best part of the low carb diet.

smileyy
01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
My eating advice for everyone is "home-prepared whole foods". To Kahns Krazy point, this requires a lot more planning ahead, however I find that it is less expensive than my previous shopping/eating habits.

It helps a lot that I really enjoy cooking and preparing and serving satisfying meals.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-11-2013, 03:34 PM
My eating advice for everyone is "home-prepared whole foods". To Kahns Krazy point, this requires a lot more planning ahead, however I find that it is less expensive than my previous shopping/eating habits.

It helps a lot that I really enjoy cooking and preparing and serving satisfying meals.

This. The stuff I make from the items I buy at our local farmer's market always taste better and make me feel better. Too bad I can't get my wife on board.

Snipe
01-11-2013, 06:12 PM

Your government science lied to you? How shocking.

I agree. I have read some stuff about sugar being a poison. Cut that stuff out and your body will love you. Hard to do though, as I am an addict.

Titanxman04
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I get married on June 8th, and have had the plan to lose 30-40 lbs by then. A far, I have lost a little over ten pounds. Going to the gym, watching my calorie intake, working on a balanced diet, and vowing not to eat any fried foods is my goal for 2013. The last one is difficult, since my job allows me a free meal five days a week, and damn it all if those Spicy Garlic wings don't look yummy.

So far, I'm staying strong. Haven't had anything fried in about a month now.

outsideobserver11
01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
I've started doing the insanity workout and it's fantastic. I'm a former college athlete and current college coach so I'm pretty fit, and it still leaves me on the floor in a pool of sweat. For people that are looking to build up cardio, I recommend starting with this. It'll get your base fitness level in order, and you can go at your own pace.

Every new years I cut something out of my diet. two years ago I cut out all pop and last year I cut out all red meat and have not had either since. This year I cut out sweets so it's going to be a long year, I'm a sucker for sour patch kids.

powerofX
01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
2012 was my big weight loss year. Down a total of 62lbs from my heaviest and have maintained for the past 5 months so I'm at a good place. Started the loss by swimming, then added hoops, then added weight training, then added trail running, then added hot yoga for flexibility. And drastically changed my eating habits! 2013 is about adding some more lean muscle and getting into some semi-competitive trail runs. Good times.

DC Muskie
01-15-2013, 10:42 AM
I've started doing the insanity workout and it's fantastic. I'm a former college athlete and current college coach so I'm pretty fit, and it still leaves me on the floor in a pool of sweat. For people that are looking to build up cardio, I recommend starting with this. It'll get your base fitness level in order, and you can go at your own pace.

Every new years I cut something out of my diet. two years ago I cut out all pop and last year I cut out all red meat and have not had either since. This year I cut out sweets so it's going to be a long year, I'm a sucker for sour patch kids.

Is cutting out red meat really good for you? I have limited it in the last few years, but feel like I could never give up having a burger now and again. How do you make up for iron, and other important stuff it provides that I can't think of right now?

Do you feel better by not eating it? Like can you tell you have removed it from your diet?

Sorry for all the questions.

DC Muskie
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM

I can't cook. I'd like to be able to cook more interesting meals, but out of shear laziness or a sense of being overwhelmed I just can't do it consistently.

Cheesehead
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM

I can vouch for the Insanity program. It will leave you in a pool of sweat. I completed the program at end of November and lost 15 pounds but also got stronger and lost the love handles. If you have knee issues then you might want to look eleswhere, as there is fair amount of jumping. You will also do a ton of pushups.

outsideobserver11
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Is cutting out red meat really good for you? I have limited it in the last few years, but feel like I could never give up having a burger now and again. How do you make up for iron, and other important stuff it provides that I can't think of right now?

Do you feel better by not eating it? Like can you tell you have removed it from your diet?

Sorry for all the questions.

I have never been the biggest fan of red meat in my life anyways so it wasn't a real hard cut for me. I'm still able to get plenty of Iron intake from fish, poultry, eggs, etc. I can definitely feel a difference from not eating it. For me at least, red meat sits very heavy in my stomach and gives me a sort of weighed down and groggy feeling at times. It's kind of like my turkey for most people, after I eat it I just want to sit around and not do much. I never really noticed it did this to me until I stopped eating it for a while then had it again.

There are so many conflicting reports out there on red meat though that it really just comes down to personal preference. There are reports to say it rots in your stomach before digesting and people live longer if they don't eat it, while plenty say the good outweighs the bad with it. For me its just personal preference, I'd rather have a nice piece of fish/chicken and veggies over meat and potatoes any day.

Kahns Krazy
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
For me its just personal preference, I'd rather have a nice piece of fish/chicken and veggies over meat and potatoes any day.

It's possible you've misidentified the source of your grogginess.

I do find it interesting that different people are drawn to different foods. Is it genetic or environmental? Or both?

outsideobserver11
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
It's possible you've misidentified the source of your grogginess.

I do find it interesting that different people are drawn to different foods. Is it genetic or environmental? Or both?

I'd say location probably plays a part with what types of food are readily available all year long, but mostly I think its genetic. Same can be said for dieting/workouts as well, what works for me may not work for anybody else on this board. Some lucky bastard out there can probably live on nothing but bacon and still have 5% body fat.

And the meat and potatoes was just a reference/cliche thing i suppose. Just red meat alone does it to me as well.

tmac03
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
There are a lot of success stories on this thread and all I can say is good for you guys.

Think of me as the before picture. I'd like to get into running more often and am going to start looking into a treadmill for when the weather doesn't cooperate or I don't make it out before the kids are in bed. Does anyone have any general suggestions on what brands to stay away from, what features you consider most important, etc.? I think I'd be logging only 7 or 8 miles on it a week, so not really heavy use.

Kahns Krazy
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I use a treadmill at the gym on a fairly regular basis, but I have never used a residential model treadmill that I have liked. They all feel too flimsy to me. For home, I picked up a small recumbent exercise bike that I find myself using more than I ever used the treadmill that I had. It's not as strenuous of a workout, but I'm more likely to use it because I don't feel like it's going to fall apart.

If you have your heart set on a treadmill, my advice would be to look for a gym quality one on craigslist or ebay or something (play it again charges too much for treadmills in my opinion), or get ready to plnuk down over a grand for a quality unit.

GoMuskies
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Depending on how much you weigh, you're probably looking at plunking down more than two grand for a treadmill that will be reliable. Whatever the manufacturer says is the weight limit, cut that in half if you plan to run on it and don't want it to break down.

LA Muskie
01-15-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd throw in there that if you are just getting started working out and overweight, you might want to reconsider starting off with running, whether on a treadmill or on the road. It is very hard on your knees, ankles and feet, and if you're overweight those areas of your body are already over-burdened even before you add in the impact. I'd consider power-walking, biking, elliptical, or swimming to get started. Then, once you've shed significant weight, your body will better be able to handle running. And even then, I'd initially concentrate on running on a good treadmill or a good outdoor track -- something with give. Otherwise you may well have to shut yourself down if you hurt your knees or feet, and nobody wants to do that when they've finally gotten themselves into a routine.

smileyy
01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Shin splints are an incredibly common symptom of people taking up running for the first time.

OTOH, running stresses my cardiovascular system more than any stationary equipment does.

boozehound
01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Depending on how much you weigh, you're probably looking at plunking down more than two grand for a treadmill that will be reliable. Whatever the manufacturer says is the weight limit, cut that in half if you plan to run on it and don't want it to break down.

Agree. Cheap treadmills don't last. If you are patient and willing to spend about $1K you can get a good treadmill on Craigslist, which is a great place to get exercise equipment. Spend the money now, vs spending $500 on a treadmill that you will just end up replacing in a year or 2.

vee4xu
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Vee did you find the fitbit accurately trackes your steps just based on your height? Or did you fill in tour strides online? Mine seems right sometimes and off others.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Muskie, sorry but just getting back to this thread since my Fitbit post. I think it may, since I have many more steps than my wife in a typical day when we spend most of our time together. That may be because she is 8 inches shorter than me. I have been keeping track of my meals every day on Fitbit, along with my sleep and water intake. I have been a fitness and healthy eating nut for many years and Fitbit has been a great tracking tool for me.

On another note, I weigh about 2 pounds more today than when I graduated from Xavier at a svelte 162 pounds in 1978.

xu95
01-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Muskie, sorry but just getting back to this thread since my Fitbit post. I think it may, since I have many more steps than my wife in a typical day when we spend most of our time together. That may be because she is 8 inches shorter than me. I have been keeping track of my meals every day on Fitbit, along with my sleep and water intake. I have been a fitness and healthy eating nut for many years and Fitbit has been a great tracking tool for me.

On another note, I weigh about 2 pounds more today than when I graduated from Xavier at a svelte 162 pounds in 1978.

I decided to give the fitbit product a try. My scale came in yesterday and I should be getting the sensors today.

Muskie
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I decided to give the fitbit product a try. My scale came in yesterday and I should be getting the sensors today.

I've been using mine for about a week. Love it so far (and oddly haven't charged it yet). It's sad how little I "step" in a day.
It seems to keep decent enough track.

vee4xu
01-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Found out that footsteps are simply counted by foot movement only and not height. Also, stairs are calculated by an altimeter counting a flight of steps for every 10 feet of elevation.

Cheesehead
01-16-2013, 09:51 PM
There are a lot of success stories on this thread and all I can say is good for you guys.

Think of me as the before picture. I'd like to get into running more often and am going to start looking into a treadmill for when the weather doesn't cooperate or I don't make it out before the kids are in bed. Does anyone have any general suggestions on what brands to stay away from, what features you consider most important, etc.? I think I'd be logging only 7 or 8 miles on it a week, so not really heavy use.
Sole, Smooth, True, Landis. Minimum of $1,500 to $3,000 for a decent treadmill. I have a Sole and the thing is solid.

nuts4xu
01-16-2013, 10:34 PM
I think I am going with the ELMM (Eat Less Move More) diet. It is easier than it sounds, but is the most foolproof method in the history of man.

I will have to cut out things I like to eat, but I have done it before.

I will also have to elevate my heartrate to crazy levels for extended periods of time, multiple times each week.

Hope to drop 30+ lbs before May. Wish me luck.

jhelmes37
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Let me give my little piece of advice to anyone who wants to lose weight:

You cannot outrun your diet.

If your goal is to look good, you must eat better. Strictly doing cardio will do nothing but break down your body. It is unsustainable in the long term. I did almost zero cardio while shedding 50 lbs. Diet and heavy lifting 3x per week.

There are lots of fat runners. There are zero fat people who have a solid diet for years.

Now, if your goal is to run a marathon, then disregard what I just said.

tmac03
01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for the treadmill suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a Sole or NordicTrac in the 1.5k range. I figure that will be sufficient for cold and bad weather use and the rest of the time I'll be outside (close to the Monon trail here in Indy).

smileyy
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Strictly doing cardio will do nothing but break down your body.

You have to get your body out of its comfort zone. If you can do it for a long period of time (more than 15 or 20 minutes) without wanting to die at many points during, you're doing it wrong. Alternating sprints with jogging/walking is a much better workout than jogging the entire time. Apply this to all sorts of cardio workouts.

xudash
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Allow one who has reached a certain altitude in age - I don't need an oxygen mask yet (get it!) - to share goals that are based on getting back to relative normalcy.

Next Wednesday, I'm going in for MRI's of the left hip and lumbar (focused on L4/L5; compression).

Those MRI's will find their way onto the desk of Dr. Huber Matos* who will decide whether or not I am a candidate for stem cell therapy. In essence, I'm going for regeneration on a rather non-invasive basis. It will be somewhat similar to receiving a cortisone shot, except the needle will be going in twice: first to extract stem cells from my spine, and, after spinning them into the appropriate cocktail, injecting them into my left hip. We'll do the hip first; the back will follow thereafter. After what is being billed as 3 days of "pain", I'll wait for two weeks to hopefully begin to feel the effects of regeneration.

This is a no-brainer option for me. If this works, both the cost savings and pain/rehab savings compared to a hip replacement will be extraordinary. I have to have enough remaining bone/ligament, etc. foundation left for the stem cells to have a shot at regenerating. If I do, judging from the MRI, then my chances will be good; he's had a very high success rate with this rather new approach.

On a comical note, I'm relieved and pleased that they'll use my stem cells for the procedure, as I have no appetite for waking up three weeks after the procedure to find a sheep nesting on my left hip.

If successful, we'll tee-up the back. If that is successful, then I'm back to golf, even walking nine holes, on occasion, as I otherwise ramp up my laps in the pool.

I truly am happy for you younger guys. You aren't focused on this kind of crap yet, unless you've had serious injuries. You have the relative luxury of going through life RIGHT NOW rather unaware of the fact that medical technology is getting closer and closer to Star Trek/Bones stuff. By the time you may need it, stem cell therapy will have achieved extraordinary advances.

- - - - -

* - Dr. Matos' practice is focused on the multidisciplinary treatment of individuals suffering from acute and chronic pain syndromes. His approach, like no other is focused on tissue regeneration and organ function optimization. Areas of expertise include Bone Marrow Stem Cell Therapy, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy, Growth Factor therapy and Adipose Tissue Stem Cell Therapy.

jhelmes37
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
You have to get your body out of its comfort zone. If you can do it for a long period of time (more than 15 or 20 minutes) without wanting to die at many points during, you're doing it wrong. Alternating sprints with jogging/walking is a much better workout than jogging the entire time. Apply this to all sorts of cardio workouts.

I totally agree that intense sprints are much more manageable than distance running.

But neither will truly make you lose weight alone without the proper nutrition. That's all I'm saying.

nuts4xu
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I totally agree that intense sprints are much more manageable than distance running.

But neither will truly make you lose weight alone without the proper nutrition. That's all I'm saying.

You can lose 50 lbs doing either extensive cardio OR with strict diet. However, the quickest and healthiest way to lose weight is a good combination of both.

You are correct that diet is more important to losing weight and to maintaining weight loss. People who want chiseled abs need to adhere to a strict diet. You can do 1000 situps everyday, but if you eat like crap, your belly fat will hide the muscles underneath.

Muskie
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
You can lose 50 lbs doing either extensive cardio OR with strict diet. However, the quickest and healthiest way to lose weight is a good combination of both.

You are correct that diet is more important to losing weight and to maintaining weight loss. People who want chiseled abs need to adhere to a strict diet. You can do 1000 situps everyday, but if you eat like crap, your belly fat will hide the muscles underneath.

You should believe him folks... he's pre-med.

nuts4xu
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
You should believe him folks... he's pre-med.

People who can't do....teach.

I know how to lose weight, I just don't execute my own plan.

I have no idea why my fat ass is giving weight loss advice, I feel like Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

Muskie
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
People who can't do....teach.

I know how to lose weight, I just don't execute my own plan.

I have no idea why my fat ass is giving weight loss advice, I feel like Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

I was quoting (mis-quoting probably) Animal House.

If you're similar to Manti's GF, that explains you no-showing AFO.