PDA

View Full Version : Indiana over Ohio State

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
IU just beat the Buckeyes in Bloomington. Nice to have IU keep winning. Also nice to see Beaknose looking less and less likely to make the dance.

Right after the game ended Musberger said, "Coach Dakich with his first win, now moves to 2-0 as interim head coach." What the hell does that mean? Was he not at the Northwestern game, yet somehow got credit for the win? Regardless, it was nice to see IU get another win, especially against Ohio State.

BlueGuy
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
IU just beat the Buckeyes in Bloomington. Nice to have IU keep winning. Also nice to see Beaknose looking less and less likely to make the dance.

Right after the game ended Musberger said, "Coach Dakich with his first win, now moves to 2-0 as interim head coach." What the hell does that mean? Was he not at the Northwestern game, yet somehow got credit for the win? Regardless, it was nice to see IU get another win, especially against Ohio State.

Maybe he meant to say "First win at home".....?

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Maybe he meant to say "First win at home".....?

Yeah it must have been that. I guess I just can't stand listening to that guy because he makes simple mistakes like that so often that he becomes hard to listen to. I was mostly glad about the Hoosier win.

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
By the way Ohio State has 4 "big" wins this year. By big I mean that they have beat 4 teams in the top 100 of the RPI (as of right now). Those teams are:

48 Syracuse
60 Florida
78 Cleveland State
90 MD Baltimore County

Nice.

Stonebreaker
02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Nice to see the kids be able to win. Gotta be tough with a new coach.

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Nice to see the kids be able to win. Gotta be tough with a new coach.

True dat, but those kids are good. I think Indiana might be a tad underappreciated on the national radar. They do have a high ranking (12 in both polls) but you don't hear a lot about Indiana. I think they might be quite a good tournament team. I'd love to see X play them again because I think we'd be able to beat them again. But they are a damn fine team and they might do some damage in the tourney.

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 08:52 PM
True dat, but those kids are good. I think Indiana might be a tad underappreciated on the national radar. They do have a high ranking (12 in both polls) but you don't hear a lot about Indiana. I think they might be quite a good tournament team. I'd love to see X play them again because I think we'd be able to beat them again. But they are a damn fine team and they might do some damage in the tourney.

Agreed, assuming they receive and accept an invitation to the tourney.

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Agreed, assuming they receive and accept an invitation to the tourney.

Any reason to think they wouldn't be invited to the tournament? And why wouldn't they accept?

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Any reason to think they wouldn't be invited to the tournament? And why wouldn't they accept?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that such a situation was likely, just a possibility. And I was referring more to the theory that they should self-impose some sort of punishment, which Gene Wojciechowski subscribes to: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3262430&sportCat=ncb

"Indiana shouldn't stop there. It should self-impose a postseason ban on this year's team. At the very least, no NCAA Tournament appearance and the money that comes with each game played during March Madness. That should get the attention of the NCAA Committee on Infractions, eh?

Of course, IU could take its chances. It could dispute the charges. It could argue that it cut away the Sampson cancer before it metastasized. It could appeal whatever penalties the NCAA eventually levies.

Or Indiana could do the pre-emptive thing. The smart thing. The right thing. It could admit it never should have hired Sampson, take its punishment and start being IU again."

vee4xu
02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Put a fork in tOSU they are done!

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that such a situation was likely, just a possibility. And I was referring more to the theory that they should self-impose some sort of punishment, which Gene Wojciechowski subscribes to: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3262430&sportCat=ncb

"Indiana shouldn't stop there. It should self-impose a postseason ban on this year's team. At the very least, no NCAA Tournament appearance and the money that comes with each game played during March Madness. That should get the attention of the NCAA Committee on Infractions, eh?

Of course, IU could take its chances. It could dispute the charges. It could argue that it cut away the Sampson cancer before it metastasized. It could appeal whatever penalties the NCAA eventually levies.

Or Indiana could do the pre-emptive thing. The smart thing. The right thing. It could admit it never should have hired Sampson, take its punishment and start being IU again."

Oh definitely Indiana is going to get penalized. But I don't think there will be anything from the NCAA right away. I don't know what a self-imposed post-season ban would accomplish. Hell maybe that is what they'll do. I guess I never considered that there would be any chance of that. My thoughts on it were that they will be royally screwed starting next season. But until the NCAA does its investigation and determines what actually happened it might not make any sense for them to quit now. There'd be little if nothing to gain by self-imposing a post-season ban. I don't think the NCAA is going to tell them that is great and that their ban is enough. I also don't think the NCAA can fault them for continuing to play, because the NCAA investigation of their sleaze mongering former coach will not be complete for some time. If IU needs to stop playing I think it should be the NCAA that tells them. They will eventually come down on them, and rightfully so, but not this season (in my opinion at least).

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh definitely Indiana is going to get penalized. But I don't think there will be anything from the NCAA right away. I don't know what a self-imposed post-season ban would accomplish. Hell maybe that is what they'll do. I guess I never considered that there would be any chance of that. My thoughts on it were that they will be royally screwed starting next season. But until the NCAA does its investigation and determines what actually happened it might not make any sense for them to quit now. There'd be little if nothing to gain by self-imposing a post-season ban. I don't think the NCAA is going to tell them that is great and that their ban is enough. I also don't think the NCAA can fault them for continuing to play, because the NCAA investigation of their sleaze mongering former coach will not be complete for some time. If IU needs to stop playing I think it should be the NCAA that tells them. They will eventually come down on them, and rightfully so, but not this season (in my opinion at least).

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. Apparently, IU doesn't have to make any kind of official response to the allegations until May which I guess means there is no chance of a punishment at all this season from the NCAA. Clearly, they have a much better chance of making something out of postseason eligibility this year than next year after they lose White and probably Gordon. But it seems Wojciechowski feels there are more long-term benefits in punishing themselves this season to get it over with.

X-band '01
02-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Anyone out there think that Jim Boeheim or Thad Matta or some other bubble coach wants IU to turn themselves in right about now?

Michigan Muskie
02-27-2008, 07:24 AM
At this point I don't even think Ohio State is a bubble team. You've seen their top 100 wins and one glaring omission is a win over one of the top Big Ten teams. They don't have one and I don't think they will earn one. The Buckeyes are an NIT team at best.

What I really enjoyed about that game is the obvious appreciation Dakich earned from the fans. You know his emotions had to be tumultuous and after the narrow victory in Evanston, I think everything surrounding the IU program was experiencing a moment of shock. I'm glad the players came to their senses and played hard for Dakich and the IU fans. The fans want to win, but they want to win fairly and cleanly and they deserve as such. Hopefully Sampson's short tenure there will minimize the black eye on the university.

I didn't realize Sampson's son was a team manager. If he has not been actively involved with his father's violations, I feel sorry for that kid and find it noble that IU is allowing him to remain with the program.

xu drew
02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
tOSU gave themselves a self-imposed post-season ban for thad's first year as a coach after the whole jim o'brien mess. as it turned out, they had a good chance of making the ncaa tourney that year, but couldn't go. it ended out probably working for the best because the ncaa didn't impose any additional post-season bans. perhaps the same would be true with iu. however, with tOSU the future was brighter than the present at that time; in iu's case they'd have a much better shot at making some post-season noise this year as opposed to future years since gordon and white will be gone. for that reason i think they'll just roll the dice on this year and hope for the best on future sanctions.