PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bar?

Muskie
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
What and where is your favorite watering hole?

(Aside from Dana's).

XdeewillyX
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Besides the mini-fridge in my basement, I always enjoy the tall-boy drafts at BW3 in Kenwood. Although you have to expect poor service at every BW3 in town.

American X
02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
La Floridita - Havana, Cuba

Muskie
02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
There's a Beer Hall in Muncie, Indiana that I love. It's called "The Herot". It has a beer menu that fills most of a three ring binder. The best part is, it's full of townies, college students, bikers, people there to read, just basically all types.

ATL Muskie
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Broad Street Bar and Grill in Athens, GA. Very similar to Dana's.

The Villager Tavern in Nashville.

Michigan Muskie
02-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Besides the mini-fridge in my basement, I always enjoy the tall-boy drafts at BW3 in Kenwood. Although you have to expect poor service at every BW3 in town.

Hey now, I was the opening day bartender for B-Dubs in Kenwood while I was, as they say, in between jobs. In fact, it was my next career move that brought me to Michigan, else my name would be Madeira Muskie.

I enjoy B-Dubs here in Michigan or anywhere I go. It's like the McDonald's of sports bars - you know what to expect no matter where you are.

We have this little place here in my hometown of Pinckney (I'm not making that up) called Bleachers that I really have taken to. From 10-11 every night except Sundays, they serve dollar drafts and 99-cent sliders. I took advantage of Power Hour during the UT-Memphis game with some neighbors. Unfortunately, it was also Karaoke night at Bleachers...

joebba
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't know if it is still open in Downtown Cincy - Nicholson's.

The Artist
02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Muz's

The name actually has a question mark at the end, but I left it out for confusion purposes.

94GRAD
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
What and where is your favorite watering hole?

(Aside from Dana's).

I officially protest this thread.

Strange Brew
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
It can't be Dana's.????...I choose nothing.

:D

xuirish
02-26-2008, 08:50 PM
O'bryon's in Cincy or The Cask'N Flagon in Boston next to fenway

chico
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Now that Hugg's Inn is no longer around, it's hard to choose , but here goes:

Crowley's Highland House
City View
Silverton Cafe

If I'm hungry I'm going to Mt. Adams Bar & Grill. Best bar food in town.

NO JUSTICE! NO PEACE!
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
The Wood's (RIP)

Home of my biggest victories, losses, and pukes in the sink.

Dana's was always a blur.

BBC 08
02-26-2008, 10:06 PM
When I'm back home in Louisville I like to go to either Molly Malone's or the Outlook Inn.

94GRAD
02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Now that there is a smoking ban in cinti, the establishment or MTL's.

Bignose Liar
02-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I would have to go with the G-light or MLTs. G-light is always fun especially when Coach is working.

Muskie 24
02-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Rooney's Pub....for about six months....

PM Thor
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
In town I love Hofbrauhaus, but that's the German in me.

Then there is The Boathouse up on Put In Bay. I worked there for over half a decade, and every time I go back, the owner takes care of me. Man, do I miss that place.

The Artist
02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
What's MLT's? Is that a similar place to MLDUDES?

BlueGuy
02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
What's MLT's? Is that a similar place to MLDUDES?

It's across the street from "Millions of Dudes", and across the intersection from "The Dude Stand".

xuthundercats
02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Willies in Western Hills is where I will be found...

Stonebreaker
02-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Nicholsons is cool
I used to like the Brickyard (Brickhouse?) on Madision Ave in Obryonville
Blarney Stone on Beechmont (now Maloneys East), Very divey, but lots of memories

Muskie
02-27-2008, 08:13 AM
It can't be Dana's.????...I choose nothing.

:D

Well I figured that everyone would say Dana's. I think it goes without saying that Dana's is the number one choice for all your alcoholic and Xavier related drinking needs. I wanted to get some ideas about places other than Dana's.

Muskie
02-27-2008, 08:13 AM
The Wood's (RIP)

Home of my biggest victories, losses, and pukes in the sink.

Dana's was always a blur.

The Woods is closed?:eek:

boozehound
02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Strauss Haus in Covington. They pour a stiff drink, the Beer Garden is great in the summer, and they actually have pretty good food. If you like sauerkraut balls they have the best in town.

BlueGuy
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
The Woods is closed?:eek:

Sounds like you need to get yourself up to date on the goings on around campus.

Great Wonders Campaign (http://xu.imodules.com/s/454/great_wonders.aspx?sid=454&gid=1&pgid=256)

Michigan Muskie
02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Since we're including RIP bars, I want to amend my answer: La Normandie. I loved that place since I was a kid and it has hosted some special memories over the years. It was a very sad day for me when the Comisars shut it down.

Smails
02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Cincinnati:

The 'E'
Crowley's
The Friendly Stop

Outside:
Connors Pub- Broad Ripple Village, Indy
Tootsies- Nashville

Muskie
02-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Sounds like you need to get yourself up to date on the goings on around campus.

Great Wonders Campaign (http://xu.imodules.com/s/454/great_wonders.aspx?sid=454&gid=1&pgid=256)

What's funny about that is... I walked right by the Woods to walk from my car for the UC game. I notice that the corner had gone a little upscale with the Pizza/Italian Place. I used to live less than 100 yards away from the place so i grew use to not looking at it (the Woods). Had no idea it closed, but wasn't really paying attention to check either way.

boozehound
02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
With The Woods and Soupies now closed BJ has himself quite the monopoly around XU. Although I think there is some bar called Monty's or something a little ways down Montgomery road.

I wonder where all the freshmen drink now? Between Soupie's and the Woods closing all the bars that didn't ID are gone.

Kahns Krazy
02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
The Code Room at Zips. I think my first beer in a public establishment was in Zips. Toast was my all-time favorite bartender. No offense BJ. I have lived in and around Mt. Lookout for 11 of the last 14 years, and the Code Room has always been the standby. It is the only bar I ever frequented by myself, because I was always sure I would run into people I knew.

The E is a close second. Although it's not quite the same since the passing of the owner several years back, it's stlil a great place. It gets a little loud and crowded on Friday and Saturday for my taste, but they pour a friendly drink and ring up a friendly tab. Plus, it's a short walk for me.

There are dozens and dozens of other great bars. The Pilot holds some special memories for me. Literally, it holds them. I don't have them and I want them back. I used to work with a guy whose family owned the joint. They used to have $1 beers for happy hour. I haven't been in there since the smoking ban. I wonder what it smells like now.

Stoney, we have certainly been in the same place at the same time. The Brickyard was one of my favorite joints. Remember when they had pizza at the bar by the slice after 9PM? Then I spent 3 years out in the township right around the corner from the Baloney Stone.

Raoul Duke
02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Metropolis in Forest Fair is where it's at.

nuts4xu
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Salem Gardens hold a lot of my drinking memories from over the years. I used to live in Mt Washington, and later Anderson Twp, and the Gardens was always the dive to hit on the way home from anywhere.

The Artist
02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
The Code Room at Zips. I think my first beer in a public establishment was in Zips. Toast was my all-time favorite bartender. No offense BJ. I have lived in and around Mt. Lookout for 11 of the last 14 years, and the Code Room has always been the standby. It is the only bar I ever frequented by myself, because I was always sure I would run into people I knew.

The E is a close second. Although it's not quite the same since the passing of the owner several years back, it's stlil a great place. It gets a little loud and crowded on Friday and Saturday for my taste, but they pour a friendly drink and ring up a friendly tab. Plus, it's a short walk for me.

There are dozens and dozens of other great bars. The Pilot holds some special memories for me. Literally, it holds them. I don't have them and I want them back. I used to work with a guy whose family owned the joint. They used to have $1 beers for happy hour. I haven't been in there since the smoking ban. I wonder what it smells like now.

Stoney, we have certainly been in the same place at the same time. The Brickyard was one of my favorite joints. Remember when they had pizza at the bar by the slice after 9PM? Then I spent 3 years out in the township right around the corner from the Baloney Stone.

I'm with you on the code room. About a quarter of a mile from my house. I go there at least once a week by myself after work, and am always glad I do (especially when BJ magically appears from behind my shoulder and buys me a beer).

I just left it out because they kick you out at 11:30 on weekends (which is when we then go to my choice - Muz's).

Kahns Krazy
02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Have you been to muz's? since the remodel? It's remodeling the way only Muz can do it.

The Artist
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Have you been to muz's? since the remodel? It's remodeling the way only Muz can do it.

I actually liked better before. However, I did notice a more potent smell.

My main worry is that it's getting too popular. I think a lot of people go to the other Mt Lookout bars, realize how much they suck, and then go to Muz's.

PM Thor
02-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Oh a quick mention here.

Habits.
Just 4 days ago I got slapped in there for telling a girl that her coat looked like the mens bathroom. (In the remodel, their bathroom now is all white and black tile, very confusing to a guy who is drinking....and a houndstooth coat looks the same)

Kahns Krazy
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I actually liked better before. However, I did notice a more potent smell.

My main worry is that it's getting too popular. I think a lot of people go to the other Mt Lookout bars, realize how much they suck, and then go to Muz's.

I agree. The current look just isn't right, and the crowd is a little more animated. I was there Saturday night and it was fairly crowded. Not in the 1-2:30 that used to be Muz's sweet spot, but at 11:00. I think that started happening when Muz actually hired a bartender instead of him, his wife and brother manning every shift.

Thor coincidentally brings up another bar that I'm not a fan of the remodel. The new front windows change the whole feel of the front half of Habits. Still a great place, but for me it's a different feel.

Kahns Krazy
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh a quick mention here.

Habits.
Just 4 days ago I got slapped in there for telling a girl that her coat looked like the mens bathroom.

If you just walked up to her and said this, a slap is unnecessary. If you said it in response to "Why are you peeing on my coat", then the slap was just late.

The Artist
02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I can only dream of someday being able to spit game like Thor does.

Araceli
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I grew my teeth in the MLT and the old Pat Millons which was just across the street. Today, when I get back to Cincy, I still go to the MLT AND zIPS, but have added the Irish Tavern in East Hyde Park and the Mariemont Inn. If I´m in a bad mood, I like some of the C and Wbars in the Over The Rhine area, but always go with my younger nephews. City View also gets my visit , but I dislike immensely the bar scene in Mt Adams. Danas is the most unique of all, but there will be a day when someone has to prop the walls. In New York, I love the Blarney Stones during the day and the 666 at night, with a stop in the 21. If any of you guys want indications for Spain, UK , France etc, I´ll be glad to provide. There is a place in London, the Prospect oF Whitby, really unique in this world.

Kahns Krazy
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I grew my teeth in the MLT ....

Merely calling it "The MLT" defines the era in which you were there.

XU AZ
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
The gas light has always been good to me. Good food as well.

xuirish
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
The gas light has always been good to me. Good food as well.

Good Call on the G-Light. Coach is my favorite, besides BJ obviously.

94GRAD
02-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Good Call on the G-Light. Coach is my favorite, besides BJ obviously.

Joey is the man. I'm just part of the B-team.

Dana1015Muskie
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
If it wasn't for those 2 kids who go everyday dana's would be as pitiful as soupy's was.

94GRAD
02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
If it wasn't for those 2 kids who go everyday dana's would be as pitiful as soupy's was.

Self promotion at its finest.

XU0001
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
MLTs or the Gaslight. They are great places to head out to when Dana's is packed with the young ins. In Northern KY in Main Strasse try 701 it's fairly new and not as packed as the other bars in the area.

Kahns Krazy
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
MLTs or the Gaslight. They are great places to head out to when Dana's is packed with the young ins.

Ahh, the great wisdom of reaching the tired old age of 29.

Fred Garvin
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I was a big fan of throwing down shots with my friend Huggs at Lovelan's Sleepy Hollow Inn. Sometimes we'd got to Martinos and my bud would barf on his Lexus before driving home. Wonder whatever happened to that kid.

Fred Garvin
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I had no idea The Gaslight got such a Xavier crowd. I went there back in the day when I had a buddy who lived on Beaver(insert joke). We'd get baked and head up to the Gaslight for Long Islands. My only problem with that place was deciding on my route back home.
I couldn't decide if I should head down ridge and go 71 North to Kenwood or take my chances with the Silverton police and head up Montgomery.

I'm a firm believer that drunk drivers should stick to their familiar route.

XUglow
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I was a big fan of throwing down shots with my friend Huggs at Lovelan's Sleepy Hollow Inn. Sometimes we'd got to Martinos and my bud would barf on his Lexus before driving home. Wonder whatever happened to that kid.

If you get divorced in West Virginia, are you still brother and sister?

XU0001
02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Ahh, the great wisdom of reaching the tired old age of 29.

Ah well don't worry I am not 29 just yet. I am the rip old age of 28! I don't think it the afe that has to do with leaving the young ins at Dana's maybe it comes from being 21-27ish and being their too many days during the week and every weekend. The change of scenery is always nice. (have I dug myself out of the hole yet?)

xuirish
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Ah well don't worry I am not 29 just yet. I am the rip old age of 28! I don't think it the afe that has to do with leaving the young ins at Dana's maybe it comes from being 21-27ish and being their too many days during the week and every weekend. The change of scenery is always nice. (have I dug myself out of the hole yet?)

No not really. See you at Dana's tommorrow night.

Cheesehead
02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
1) Dana's (Need I say more)

2) City View (Name says it all)

3) Silvertown Cafe (especially when the Rusty Griswolds play there)

4) MLT's (spent many nights down there after I graduated)

5) Peg's Pub in Evendale /Al's Bar in Sharonville: Classic Dives w/ some interesting regulars

Raoul Duke
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Surprised no one's said haps. Tostado's is also a fine establishment. Edit: and speaking of establishments, I join in the E crowd. The best part is they don't get too mad when you're in the back room and accidentally walk into the behind the bar area near 2:00 a.m.

joebba
02-29-2008, 06:18 PM
http://photoblog.conomocity.com/photo/gen/800/001-001961.jpg

03-01-2008, 11:13 PM
When I lived in Baltimore, I used to hit this hole in the wall off of Fort Ave. It was authentically Irish in that a fund raising arm of the IRA held meetings there. Once the townies (and suspicious irishmen) knew your face, it was the most welcoming place outside of your momma's kitchen.

YOU GOT TO BE BALL READY WHEN "SHOWTIME" SHERWIN ANDERSON IS ON THE FLOOR

canadianX
03-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Madigan's and Balloon's in Ellicottville, N.Y an Alcoholic town with a ski problem