PDA

View Full Version : Golfweek Features XU Golf

joe titan
12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
article about XU golf expansion at Maketewah

Xavier and Maketewah unite for new look in 2013
Maketewah CC's new practice area, with indoor learning center (left) and clubhouse (right).

Al Kanters/Special to Golfweek

Maketewah CC's new practice area, with indoor learning center (left) and clubhouse (right).

By Al Kanters, Golfweek correspondent
December 14, 2012 8:39 a.m.

The Latest
For Subscribers
In this issue: Dec. 7-14, 2012

CINCINNATI – Xavier's golf teams will look toward the spring season with even more anticipation than usual.

That’s because the Musketeers expect to be in their new indoor practice facility by February.

Maketewah Country Club has partnered with nearby Xavier University in a master plan and renovation, with the club’s new practice facility as the centerpiece of efforts to revitalize a century-old club with a rich history.

“With this new first-class facility just five minutes from campus, our teams will be more competitive because we can practice year round,” Xavier men's coach Doug Steiner said, “and our ability to recruit has improved tremendously.”

Maketewah, a 1910 Thomas Bendelow design that was modified by Donald Ross in 1929, has hosted a local U.S. Open qualifier for the past 40 years. Among the course’s distinctive qualities: strategic use of angles, challenging greens, rolling terrain and both nines ending with par 3s. However, at 6,680 yards and a par 72 (72.3 rating, 131 slope), Maketewah (MACK-eh-TEE-wah) has struggled to keep pace with the modern game.

Architect Brian Silva, hired to guide the update, implemented a two-phase plan.

• Phase I, begun in the summer, focuses on the practice center: a 10-acre short-game area with a 6,000-square-foot putting area plus four 3,000-square-foot greens, seven bunkers and a chipping area. Phase I also includes expansion of the practice range. It is expected to be completed by February.

The indoor facility, in a new 10,000-square-foot building, will include four hitting bays with doors that open onto the course, a 4,000-square-foot putting green, offices for the Xavier coaches, men’s and women’s team locker rooms and a lounge. The indoor facility also will include a Cobra/Puma regional fitting center.

Bob Philion, the president of Cobra-Puma Golf, was one of Steiner's first recruits and graduated in 1993.

"It was about a year-and-a-half project raising the money," Steiner said, "and he was the final piece of the puzzle. It's a really good match for Cobra/Puma."

• Phase II, scheduled to start in fall 2013, will focus on the golf course: improvements to tees, fairways and bunkers, plus a new green on the 458-yard, par-4 sixth hole, with more room for air movement.

Silva has relied upon a more offset style of scatter-shot bunkering rather than placing the hazards left and right alongside standard landing areas.

Bendelow and Ross were not as predictable as today’s course architects, Silva said. Their bunkering was more random, and they let the land dictate where bunkers might naturally form, such as with Ross’ well-known cross bunkers that appear just 100 yards in front of the tees.

“Bunkers give life and interest to the landscape and are not just for landing areas and around greens,” said Silva, whose work includes updates of Ross designs The Biltmore Golf Club in Coral Gables, Fla., and Mount Washington Golf Club in Bretton Woods, N.H.

Xavier has contributed $850,000 to the project, through 43 donors, Steiner said, at a minimum of $5,000 each. Phase I is estimated at $2.2 million. The budget for Phase II not finalized.

Maketewah’s new par will be 71, with four sets of member tees ranging from 4,956 to 6,577 yards, plus the “Bendelow Tees,” which will allow the course to stretch to 6,927 yards and a par 70 for collegiate competition and U.S. Open qualifiers.

Dave Bahr, Maketewah’s head professional, says local amateurs have expressed interest in the new facility, and the club has seen a modest spike in membership since construction began.

“The ability to practice year round will be a great attraction to those serious about improving their game,” Bahr said.

Foremost among them will be Xavier’s golfers. The men open the spring season in the March 10-12 Pinehurst Invitational; the women begin play in the Feb. 18-19 Le Triomphe Collegiate in Broussard, La.

Al Kanters is a Golfweek’s Best course rater and Cincinnati-based business consultant.
Latest Related Headlines
College golfers performing well in pro tournamentsCollege golfers performing well in pro tournaments
Kim, Widegren highlight Fall Palmer Cup RankingsKim, Widegren highlight Fall Palmer Cup Rankings
All-Americans to receive invites to Mylan ClassicAll-Americans to receive invites to Mylan Classic
Print
Email
Click here to find out more!
Featured
Players
Doug Steiner
Bios, Stats, Photos and Highlights
The Latest
Headlines
Professional

McCabe: With Watson, PGA takes a gamble
Video: Miceli breaks down the choice of Tom Watson
2013 Web.com Tour schedule features 25 stops

GET MORE »
Junior

Top junior boys of 2012: No. 6 Jim Liu
Top junior boys of 2012: No. 7 Andy Shim
Top junior boys of 2012: No. 8 Andy Zhang

GET MORE »
College

Xavier and Maketewah unite for new look in 2013
College golfers performing well in pro tournaments
Cal's Stalter, Homa on opposite ends of anchoring ban

GET MORE »

Golfweek Magazine
GolfweekMag

GolfweekMag Don't expect Europe to chose a conventional captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup. Our @GolfweekTait explains who it could be: bit.ly/12pW6R6 about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet · favorite

GolfweekMag .@GolfweekSMartin sat down with @WebDotComTour president Bill Calfee to discuss the 2013 season. Q&A here: bit.ly/SYV1NB 4 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

GolfweekMag With Tom Watson, the age bracket for the Ryder Cup captaincy grows says @alexmiceli. Story: bit.ly/XiMRht 20 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

GolfweekMag Larry Nelson would be an inspiring captain for Team USA at the 2016 Ryder Cup say @GolfweekRude. Story: bit.ly/TRenRP 21 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Join the conversation

MORE GOLFWEEK
Business
Golfweek Events
Golfweek Junior Tour
Golfweek Custom Media
Golfweek Raters
SUBSCRIBE
Print
Digital Edition
E-Newsletters
Subscriber Services
Reprints
SCORES
PGA Tour
LPGA
European Tour
Web.com Tour
Champions Tour
U.S. Pro Tours
Int'l Pro Tours
College Men
College Women
Junior Boys
Junior Girls
Amateur Men
Amateur Women
Amateur Senior
RANKINGS
Pro Men's
Pro Women's
Men's Collegiate Individual
Women's Collegiate Individual
Men's Team Collegiate
Women's Team Collegiate
Junior Boys
Junior Girls
Men's Amateur
Women's Amateur
Senior Amateur
VIDEO & PHOTOS
Video
Photo Galleries
CONTESTS
Fantasy
Faldo "Ask The Expert"
Trivia Challenge
Make Me Over
ABOUT GOLFWEEK
About Us
Contact Us
Media Kit
XML Sitemap
SEARCH

Golfweek.com | © 2012 Turnstile Publishing Company

Masterofreality
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah, Baby!!!!!

Cobra-Puma...Thank YOU!

BBC 08
12-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Who wants to get me in contact with Bob Philion so I can go work at Cobra Puma?

bleedXblue
12-14-2012, 08:17 PM
This is pretty incredible.

Xavier golf is going to do nothing but get better.

xudash
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2013/04/04/xavier-maketewah-develop-huge-indoor.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-04-04&u=nBaExrqRSIS0+8tOrwQRvSDJvwN

Masterofreality
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm proud to be one of those full donors and look forward to being at the Grand Opening next weekend!

xudash
04-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm proud to be one of those full donors and look forward to being at the Grand Opening next weekend!

I'm proud to be one of them as well, though the article was off on the limited donation amount (or someone has some explaining to do!).

Anyway, I can't make it, so please let Doug know that I've allotted my share of alcohol to you. I'll doubt they'll run out of that anyway.

Masterofreality
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm proud to be one of them as well, though the article was off on the limited donation amount (or someone has some explaining to do!).

Anyway, I can't make it, so please let Doug know that I've allotted my share of alcohol to you. I'll doubt they'll run out of that anyway.

Just got back from the beautiful new XU Golf facility at Maketewah. What a gorgeous facility and it was a beautiful day. This place will put XU at the absolute top of the Big East when it comes to golf. The indoor range, putting and chipping areas are unbelieveable. They are even able to adjust the speed of the indoor practice putting green. Although it is an artificial surface, it rolls true and smooth. It's also contoured for breaking putts.

Dash, you'll be happy to know that the article was incorrect. In actuality, there are only 31 donors, which includes you and I. They announced all the donors names and nice that both you and I included our wives names along with us. Our names will be emblazoned in a couple of places in the building, including having lockers named after us.

They got off cheap with the alcohol with me too, though. Had to drive back to Cleveburgh.

By the way. Get ready for the first reconfigured Big East Conference Tournament that will be held in the Philadelphia area...probably about this time in 2014. One of the major project donors, who is also a Lew Hirt Society Brother, has connections and is already setting it up.

xudash
04-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Just got back from the beautiful new XU Golf facility at Maketewah. What a gorgeous facility and it was a beautiful day. This place will put XU at the absolute top of the Big East when it comes to golf. The indoor range, putting and chipping areas are unbelieveable. They are even able to adjust the speed of the indoor practice putting green. Although it is an artificial surface, it rolls true and smooth. It's also contoured for breaking putts.

Dash, you'll be happy to know that the article was incorrect. In actuality, there are only 31 donors, which includes you and I. They announced all the donors names and nice that both you and I included our wives names along with us. Our names will be emblazoned in a couple of places in the building, including having lockers named after us.

They got off cheap with the alcohol with me too, though. Had to drive back to Cleveburgh.

By the way. Get ready for the first reconfigured Big East Conference Tournament that will be held in the Philadelphia area...probably about this time in 2014. One of the major project donors, who is also a Lew Hirt Society Brother, has connections and is already setting it up.

MOR,

Glad you could make the event. I'm looking forward to visiting it this summer. What is especially nice about all this is Maketewoh's commitment to all its improvements. That facility at that old, historical (but improved) club that close to campus is a home run for Doug.

As for the naming business, you having your name on a locker is appropriate, because you played golf for X.

Masterofreality
04-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Matt Gerard, my boy from Cleveland and a Frosh golfer was my personal tour guide. He took me down to the indoor simulator with video cameras all around that allow the players to have their swings analyzed along with speed detectors. That fits right in with the Cobra fitting center that is on site. Now kids can get custom equipment and constant adjustments just like the pros do.

We all know how small tolerances affect the result and this is so cool for the kids. A bit different than trying to hit balls off a mat into a net behind the chain link fence at Schmidt Fieldhouse in February.

Masterofreality
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Here's an article with some inside pics.

http://xaviermagazineextra.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/780/

BMoreX
04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I had no idea we have a top twenty program nationally. That's really impressive.

joe titan
05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Korey Ward shot 73 in round 1 of NCAA Regional as Scarlet

http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/player/static/player4394.html

paulxu
10-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Golf team leading after day one of tournament at Firestone.

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/100614aaa.html

Masterofreality
10-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Golf team leading after day one of tournament at Firestone.

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/100614aaa.html

This would be a huge win for Xavier and Doug Steiner's program. There are some, who I will not name, in the Athletic Department, that are pushing for a de-emphasizing, or even possible elimination, of the men's program. They've already cut his budget. And, yeah, I'm putting that out there because it pisses me off to no end.

C'mon guys. Bring this thing home!

paulxu
10-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Congrats to Jose, and nice showing by the team.

Xavier's Jose Montano took home the individual title by scoring a 4-under par 212 - three strokes ahead of K-State's Smith - thanks to a 1-under par 71 on Tuesday. University of South Carolina-Aiken won the Firestone Invitational for the second year in a row with a 12-over par 876, one stroke ahead of Xavier.

Masterofreality
10-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Congratulations to Xavier's Men's Golf Team in winning the udump Invitational at NCR Country Club! My boy Matt Gerard had a solid 3rd Place Medalist finish at +1 and the team won by 10.

Congrats Gentlemen. The Cryers can't beat us in golf either!

http://www.daytonflyers.com/documents/2014/10/21//Dayton_Fall_Invitational_FINAL_Men_67.pdf?id=2164

dubbledxu
10-24-2014, 07:15 AM
This would be a huge win for Xavier and Doug Steiner's program. There are some, who I will not name, in the Athletic Department, that are pushing for a de-emphasizing, or even possible elimination, of the men's program. They've already cut his budget. And, yeah, I'm putting that out there because it pisses me off to no end.

C'mon guys. Bring this thing home!

Sucks to hear if true, but I've heard similar things and talk abt Steiner leaving. He's built some great players, hope this is just a bump in the road

94GRAD
10-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Doug signed a two year contract this year

Masterofreality
10-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Doug signed a two year contract this year

Riiiiiiiiight, but....

I hope everything works out.

xudash
10-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Riiiiiiiiight, but....

I hope everything works out.

We can always hope...

sweet16
10-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Sucks to hear if true, but I've heard similar things and talk abt Steiner leaving. He's built some great players, hope this is just a bump in the road

It's not true.......I think this guy just makes stuff up.

94GRAD
10-24-2014, 12:03 PM
It's not true.......I think this guy just makes stuff up.

It was true, Doug was very worried about being fired

Masterofreality
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
'94, that guy who posted ahead of you doesn't even warrant a response.

paulxu
05-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Muskie Golf! Go Jose.

http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/050415aab.html

xudash
05-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Doug Steiner getting it done, as usual.