PDA

View Full Version : Fan Stupidity

Bmuskie
02-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Check out the highlights of last nights Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs Texas Southern Game. Fan stupidity cost Arkansas-Pine Bluff the game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280562029

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Against a then 6-20 team, mind you. Storming the court really has gotten out of control lately. I went to the Oral Roberts @ IUPUI game a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe they stormed the court there when the jaguars won, but this is just plain stupid.

Kahns Krazy
02-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I honestly don't understand this call. It looked to me like 1 or two idiots, and it was clearly after the buzzer. The T was not necessary.

boozehound
02-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I guess someone decided to make a statement about storming the court...

Muskie
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I heard somewhere that there had already been a warning issues to the crowd to refrain from throwing objects on the floor. If that's the case, then a "T" is the right call.

Bmuskie
02-26-2008, 03:14 PM
What you cannot see in this replay but there is another on ESPN that does show it, is there were about 6 guys that started running around like idiots through the center of the court. At the same time the group of students began throwing things onto the court in celebration including frisbees that were given out before the game as a promotion. Why you would throw things on the court to celebrate is beyond me but they did and therefore the T was given. The video on the right hand side of this link shows them throwing things on the court.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/atr080226

XUglow
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Check out the highlights of last nights Arkansas-Pine Bluff vs Texas Southern Game. Fan stupidity cost Arkansas-Pine Bluff the game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280562029

To say that it cost UAPB the game is a bit of a stretch. It put them down 2 at the beginning of OT, but they had to stink the place up for 5 minutes on their own to earn the L.

coasterville95
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
But, they lost by one point, so the case could be made that had the other team not gotten two free points, and everything else played out the way it did, they would have won by one. I agree, best to take care of business better yourself. But we can see what happened, and in this case we can see that had the techinical free throws not occured they would have won.

The important thig to remember is, NO, the game was not over. So the buzzer sounded, so what. That just signaled the start of the 60 second time out given between the second period and OT1.

To rush the court when the game is in a tie is pretty bad.

Plus, if they gave the warning to clear the court/ don't throw objects on the court, that couns as the warning, if the house manager can not control the fans, the home team gets a techinical. Sorry, but that's how it goes. (And could conceivably keep ketting techicals piled on until the fans behave or are removed from the site of competition)

If you recall this almost became a key point in the 2006 A-10 Championship Game when the horn sounded, we thought we had won yet another hard fought emotional battle against The Hawks, and then we hear the ominous words "THIS GAME IS NOT OVER!" as the officials decided to put time back on the clock, That was a close win, and IIRC if it weren't for the first wave of students realizing the situation and forming human barricades to prevent the premature court storming, we could have been in this same situation. And with time left on the clock after it was adjusted by the officials, those Technical free throws would have been considered part of the second period, and we would have lost.

Story to take to heart for all those who are for court rushings. I know most never do, but make sure the officials have left the floor first, which signifies the score is truly FINAL.

XUglow
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
In the old days, they used to give technicals before the game if one of your players dunked in pregame. There were several games that did the tip with one team or the other up 1 or 2 to nothing. I remember one game in 1976 where Abe Lemons, head coach of Texas, sent a player out to shoot the pre-game technicals backwards. His team lost by one point. In the post-game interview, it was suggested that his team WOULD have won the game had they made the technicals. His comments were basically, "Did you hear that crowd? They were fired up. Their team was fired up. Had we made those technicals, they would have mauled us and put the game away in the first 10 minutes. Heck, their crowd was on our side for the first 5 minutes of the game. Shooting those technical fouls backwards was the only thing that kept us close."

XU Fan
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
In the video on the 2nd link Sedric Toney said the fans threw frisbees onto the floor. Apparently they gave away frisbees at the gate that night, which will probably be the last time they do that. It's kind of funny that the fans didn't understand that the game wasn't over. It is also completely predictable that frisbees would eventually end up on the court.

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
In the old days, they used to give technicals before the game if one of your players dunked in pregame.

I actually saw this happen in a game earlier this season. For some reason, though I'm drawing a blank on the teams that were playing.

XUglow
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I actually saw this happen in a game earlier this season. For some reason, though I'm drawing a blank on the teams that were playing.

I didn't think they had changed the rule. I just thought the refs totally ignored it.

eXdrummer
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I didn't think they had changed the rule. I just thought the refs totally ignored it.

Yeah, I guess they just had been totally ignoring it. I had never even heard of the rule until I saw it happen.

X-band '01
02-27-2008, 06:30 AM
GW got T'd up a couple of years ago (I think it was their 16-0 A-10 season) for dunking in warmups against Richmond; I think Mensah-Bonsu was the one who got caught.

coasterville95
02-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Must be a rule that is sometimes ignored.

I recall I was at the Memphis/UC game earlier this season, a game that Memphis knew they had in the bag. Memphis spent the better part of their warm ups perfecting their dunks. If I didn't know better, I'd of thought I was watching a slam dunk contest. I mean hanging off rim, and sometimes having the upright visibly shake dunks.

As you may guess, nothing came of it, but I was sitting there chuckling about the message it sends. "Guys, we are so great, we can come into your house and whip you, we don't even need to practice, but thanks for the court time, we'll just practice the slam dunks we plan on laying on you during the game"

Kahns Krazy
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I didn't know there had previously been a warning, and that there were Frisbees thrown. Sounds like the right call given the situation.

The warm-up rule is still in place, as is the rule prohibiting dunking the ball whenever there is a stoppage in play. The penalty there is also a technical foul .

Michigan Muskie
02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I didn't know there had previously been a warning, and that there were Frisbees thrown. Sounds like the right call given the situation.

The warm-up rule is still in place, as is the rule prohibiting dunking the ball whenever there is a stoppage in play. The penalty there is also a technical foul .

Apparently they don't penalize you an extra letter for shooting a jumper after a whistle stops play because that practice is commonplace.

Lamont Sanford
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
All I know is that Chief Couch and XU5-0's finest wouldn't have let this kinda thing happen at the Cintas!

He is the strong arm of the law!