PDA

View Full Version : Club ice hockey 2012/2013

x_man11
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
The XU Club Ice hockey team is off to a great start, going 12-2 in the first part of their season, including wins over several division 2 club teams. This puts them tied at #3 in their region for D-3 intercollegiate club!

Great job so far guys! For those interested in checking out a hockey game, take a look at their website. The program has grown tremendously over the years and these guys travel all around representing Xavier well!

http://www.xavier.edu/clubsports/ice-hockey/index.cfm

http://achahockey.org/standings_org.php?ids=1059,1061,1063

LA Muskie
11-22-2012, 12:08 AM
And to think I got in on the ground floor...

Masterofreality
11-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I sent that link to ATL Muskie trying to get that dude back on this board. He's Mr. hockey sweater, himself.

I'm missing me some Freddy Garvin and ATL Muskie.

x_man11
06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm back after an extended break from things...the XU boys played very well this year and ended things with the best ever record posted, 23-5.

They're looking to do a fundraising event in August, a golf outing. Anyone interested in golfing at Legendary Run for a good cause please let me know.

$100, includes 18 holes, cart, dinner and hole sponsorships are $100. Details below:

The Musketeers are proud to announce their
FIRST ANNUAL GOLF OUTING

Where: Legendary Run Golf Course (Cincinnati, OH)
When: Saturday, August 17
Cost: $100/person (or $400/foursome), which covers driving range, 18 holes of golf, and dinner
Time: 1:00 pm shotgun start
All proceeds from this event will benefit the XU Hockey team.
Make checks payable to Xavier Club Ice Hockey and send to O'Connor Sports Center (3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45207-6116)
For more information, contact event chair Brian Gardner at gardnerb@xavier.edu
*** TO SIGN UP: Please visit www.eventzilla.net/web/event to sign up for the outing. Payment should be made via check as stated above.

Muskie
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm back after an extended break from things...the XU boys played very well this year and ended things with the best ever record posted, 23-5.

They're looking to do a fundraising event in August, a golf outing. Anyone interested in golfing at Legendary Run for a good cause please let me know.

$100, includes 18 holes, cart, dinner and hole sponsorships are $100. Details below:

FIRST ANNUAL GOLF OUTING

Cost: $100/person (or $400/foursome), which covers driving range, 18 holes of golf, and dinner
Make checks payable to Xavier Club Ice Hockey and send to O'Connor Sports Center (3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45207-6116)
*** TO SIGN UP: Please visit www.eventzilla.net/web/event (http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event) to sign up for the outing. Payment should be made via check as stated above.

Is that the Saturday before the AFO outing?

x_man11
06-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Not sure, I haven't seen anything about the AFO outing on their website.

Muskie
06-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm almost certain it is that following Monday.

xupuck10
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

FIRST ANNUAL GOLF OUTING

*** TO SIGN UP: Please visit www.eventzilla.net/web/event to sign up for the outing. Payment should be made via check as stated above.

That link is broken, here is the correct link:

http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138984589

x_man11
09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
The Ice Hockey team is selling some sweet apparel for the next 3 weeks. Check out the site, there's some good stuff. I'm not sure about jerseys at this time, I didn't see them on the site but I could contact the coach if anyone is interested in purchasing a jersey. Just send me a message!

http://team-shop.lidsteamsports.com/form/show/XAVIERUNIICEHOKMEN

Muskie
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
The Ice Hockey team is selling some sweet apparel for the next 3 weeks. Check out the site, there's some good stuff. I'm not sure about jerseys at this time, I didn't see them on the site but I could contact the coach if anyone is interested in purchasing a jersey. Just send me a message!

http://team-shop.lidsteamsports.com/form/show/XAVIERUNIICEHOKMEN

Now that is some impressive club sports apparel.

nuts4xu
09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I like that Nike evens makes gear for our club sports. Muskie is right, that is some quality stuff there!

x_man11
09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Yep I was pleasantly surprised! The site is up for a few weeks only for now, as they test out interest.

x_man11
09-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Hey everyone, the team is hosting a tournament this coming weekend. Games will be played at The Gardens and the musketeers will welcome several nationally ranked powerhouse programs. It would be great to have a nice sized crowd at the games to cheer them on. I've posted the schedule below.

Friday 9/27: 8:00 p.m. XU vs. Oakland U.
Saturday 9/28: 9:00 a.m. XU vs. UNC Charlotte
Saturday 9/28: 4:30 p.m. XU vs. Mississippi

I think there is a small admission fee to help offset tourney costs and also act as a small fundraiser for the program. Any support you can give is welcomed!! The team has come a LONG way since I played in 2006/2007!!

paulxu
09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Good luck with the tournament!

(Having hard time understanding a nationally ranked hockey team in Mississippi. Will need Glow to give us inside dope on that.)

x_man11
10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks, Paul! The tournament was a success for year 1 and we heard good feedback from all of the coaches. I spoke to one of the players on the MS team and he told me that NONE of their players were actually from MS. And, in ACHA club hockey, they're broken out into regions and so a team can become nationally ranked for dominating their region, and also winning a couple games in cross-regional play.

This tournament was a brilliant idea by the coaches and players at X, as it brings all of these different programs together into one arena...like a mini-national tournament.

BTW--X went 2-1 in the tourney. For anyone interested in going to games, the schedule is at www.xavier.edu/icehockey

Lastly--any alumni who played ice hockey, or would like to support the ice hockey program, feel free to reach out to me for details on our upcoming alumni weekend. November 1-2, 2013. We'll have an informal gathering at the game on Friday evening, probably followed by nice cold beverages at our favorite watering hole, Dana Gardens, and then will be having a game on Saturday at some point (time TBD) and will watch X play again...once again followed by frosty cold beverages while we catch up, network and re-live our college days. At some point we'll probably be taking up a collection to help the hockey program out, so anyone interested in helping out is definitely welcome to!

sunimex2003
10-31-2013, 04:23 AM
more impressive.

x_man11
10-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Update--tomorrow night's game vs. Denison starts at 9:30 p.m. There will be a group of hockey alumni there watching and raising a ruckus...and also doing 50/50 split the pot and *pending approval* a "Chuck a Puck" event where you purchase a puck to throw at the center face-off dot...closest puck to the face-off dot wins a gift card!

Saturday, the alumni will be playing at Cincinnati Gardens annex at 10:30 a.m., followed by the Xavier hockey game at 1 p.m. We'll be at Dana's at 5:30 p.m. and on for anyone who wants to come out and have a beer with us and help support the program!!

The team is exciting to watch this year so I highly recommend coming out to a game!!

x_man11
03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Any hockey fans in the Columbus OH area should come out to watch Xavier play in the CIHA (another collegiate club hockey league) tournament April 3-5. The Muskies accepted an invite as an "independent" team and will be playing sometime that weekend as the #1 seed I believe. The bracket and admission price has not been posted yet but I'll update as soon as it becomes available.

I know the team would love to see some alumni and fans attend their games up here!

Masterofreality
03-26-2014, 01:20 PM
How did the team do this year?

Aaaaaand....are X Hockey Sweaters for sale as a benefit fundraiser?

Muskie
03-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Any hockey fans in the Columbus OH area should come out to watch Xavier play in the CIHA (another collegiate club hockey league) tournament April 3-5. The Muskies accepted an invite as an "independent" team and will be playing sometime that weekend as the #1 seed I believe. The bracket and admission price has not been posted yet but I'll update as soon as it becomes available.

I know the team would love to see some alumni and fans attend their games up here!

I'm going to post this to twitter as well. Maybe it'll get you a few fans.

xu95
03-26-2014, 02:12 PM
That's assuming anyone besides me follows you on twitter.

Masterofreality
03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Well, the 2 of us....

Muskie
03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

I kept expectations low. I said "few" after all.

x_man11
03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
I kept expectations low. I said "few" after all.

Few is better than just me! Thanks for posting!

MOR, as for sweaters...I can never guarantee but I'll ask. I've put a word in each year since I graduated that there may be interest in products...and even suggested that they ask Club Sports at X to fund the lidz website (I think that was it) year round and open up the apparel to all club sports...but nobody seems to listen to me (I guess I'm not throwing enough $$ their way to be heard! haha).

I'll keep asking though!

coasterville95
03-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Today's business courier reports that the owners of Cincinnati Gardens want to unload it and are accepting bid offers in tr building and 20 acres of land.

Some of those offers are interested in operating the gardens as an arena, others want to redevelop the lot.

If the Gardens is lost, that would be a big hit to the high school and youth hockey scene. However those groups probably don't pay much in rent. I imagine thy may have a big effect on Xavier club hockey. Are there any other affordable hockey rinks nearby to rent. (I don't imagine US Bank would be reasonable for a club match).

So, and Xavier Fans who have a lot of money and a lot of nostalgia for those good old Gardens days, here is your chance to get into the arena business. The current owners cite lack of a reliable major sports tennant.

x_man11
03-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Today's business courier reports that the owners of Cincinnati Gardens want to unload it and are accepting bid offers in tr building and 20 acres of land.

Some of those offers are interested in operating the gardens as an arena, others want to redevelop the lot.

If the Gardens is lost, that would be a big hit to the high school and youth hockey scene. However those groups probably don't pay much in rent. I imagine thy may have a big effect on Xavier club hockey. Are there any other affordable hockey rinks nearby to rent. (I don't imagine US Bank would be reasonable for a club match).

So, and Xavier Fans who have a lot of money and a lot of nostalgia for those good old Gardens days, here is your chance to get into the arena business. The current owners cite lack of a reliable major sports tennant.

Yep, you're correct--they are looking to unload the Gardens. It is a beautiful landmark but in recent years has not had the events or major sports teams to justify extensive renovations. Xavier's team would definitely be impacted--they've got a nice locker room and play all games there, and it's easy for them to get fans to games.

Losing the Gardens facility would mean they would have to relocate to another rink in the area. There are several, Sports Plus in Evendale has 2 sheets of ice but that's primarily youth hockey focused. Northern KY has a rink but again it's youth hockey focused and it's a 20+ minute drive to get there (when I played that's where we played and it was rough). There's a rink in Indian Hill now that may be accommodating, for the right price. And there's Northland Ice Rink in Evendale that could house teams. And as you say--US Bank is available on a limited basis and it is a bit more expensive than other venues.

The team is also competing with UC for ice time and resources, so although there are options, I would imagine the price of doing business would go up. It will be interesting to see what happens!

x_man11
03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
I just saw the Xavier club team gets a "bye" in its national tournament this coming week. They play Thursday at 6 p.m. against the winner of a 1st round game.

All games are at Lou & Gibbs ice arena in Newark, so not too far from Columbus. I will be making the trek from Columbus to watch, and if anyone is interested PM me and we can arrange a carpool.

From a former player's perspective, it's always nice to have fans in attendance supporting you and watching you play. These guys give it their all and travel around the country spreading the Xavier name so it'd be nice to show some support if you have free time!

And, MOR, when I see the coach I will once again tell him to get something going with sweater sales! ;-) I actually suggested that they reach out to Club Sports to pay for the team apparel website and keep it up year round (for all club sports too) but haven't heard anything back yet.

Masterofreality
03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks, 11.

A Xavier Hockey sweater, and a Xavier Club Football jersey would really be cool and complete the wardrobe!

x_man11
04-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I know it's a bit late in the day but anyone in the COlumbus area who is interested in hockey, head over to Newark at 6 p.m. Xavier takes on CCAC (whoever that is?) at the Lou and Gib Reese ice arena over there. There is an admission charge but they've been absolutely terrible at publicizing this event (no joke--I think my 4 year old nephew could do a better job...) so I am not sure what it is specifically, but it should be good hockey and XU would love to have some fans I'm sure!

I'll be there to cheer on the muskies. For those of you who haven't ventured out to Newark, take 161 out past New Albany (it turns into 16 at Granville) and once you get past Granville, go to Country Club Rd and turn left going towards OSU Newark. Take that to the T-stop and turn right onto Sharon Valley Rd. The rink is on the left just down Sharon Valley Road.

x_man11
04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
XU won its first game 10-4 and plays tonight at 10:30 p.m. On the road to a club national championship!

Masterofreality
04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
XU won its first game 10-4 and plays tonight at 10:30 p.m. On the road to a club national championship!

Do they happen to play Ohio U? My nephew plays for them.

x_man11
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Nope, one of my teammates from high school coaches Ohio U's division 2 team. In club hockey there is one "main" league, the ACHA, which has 3 divisions. Ohio U. has a team in Division 1 (the "big boys") and another team in Division 2. Xavier plays Division 3 ACHA, and played Ohio U. last year but was told this year that it doesn't "help" their strength of schedule/ranking perception to play teams from a division up, so they don't play.

The second league is a newer league formed by teams that were pissed off by the ACHA's cronyism and "good ole boy" society...this is the tournament XU played in. They ended up losing in the semi-finals and got 3rd place in the tourney.

Do they happen to play Ohio U? My nephew plays for them.

x_man11
06-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Anyone interested in purchasing Xavier hockey gear can go to the link below. The picture quality isn't the best but looks like some decent gear if you're looking to buy some more X stuff. Sorry, still no jerseys at this time. Pretty much every time I see the coach I ask why not put it on the list of items available, but to date no luck.

http://www.xavier.edu/campusuite25/modules/photo-gallery.cfm?grp_id=2870

x_man11
08-21-2014, 11:31 AM
For anyone in the Cincinnati area this coming weekend--I know the timing is rather last minute but I just received details around the 2nd Annual Xavier Ice Hockey Golf Outing.

This year's outing will be held on Saturday, August 23, 2014 at WeatherWax Golf Course (up by Middletown). Scramble format, tee time is 12:00 p.m. and there will be a dinner and auction following the scramble.

At $100 per golfer, this isn't an expensive outing and all of the proceeds directly benefit the club ice hockey team. Last year's team posted an impressive 25-6-3 record (the best yet) and the team travels all around the country representing Xavier University.

It's a fun event. For more information on registering contact Max Poe at poem1@xavier.edu. I tried to look for the website link and it didn't have any info unfortunately.

If you can't go this weekend, consider coming into town for the team's 2nd Annual "North/South Showdown" at the Cincinnati Gardens the weekend of September 26, 2014. This tournament features prominent club hockey programs and is a great platform for the Xavier program to gain even more national exposure. The players love having fans come out, and admission fees help offset the cost of the tournament to the team.

That's all I've got for now--PM me if you have any questions!

KingCole
11-14-2014, 11:13 AM
I know many have asked about buying a Xavier hockey jersey before and that day has finally come. The cost is $100 plus shipping. Check out the link below.

http://www.xavier.edu/clubsports/ice-hockey/Order-Muskie-Hockey-Apparel.cfm

XUBT
11-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Has anyone had any luck with this? The link directs you to an expired order form that doesn't even have the hockey jerseys as a purchase option. It also directs you to: "If you are interested in a jersey, email coachdriscoll.xavierhockey@gmail.com with color and number preferance. Cost of Jerseys are $100.00 + shipping"

I sent him an email on Friday and he pointed me back to the website/order form. (Although he replied within minutes, which was nice.)

x_man11
11-21-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a couple emails out to look into this. Their apparel company doesn't have jerseys listed as an item so that's just a tad confusing. XUBT--did you respond to Coach Driscoll that the gallery section with the order form doesn't have jerseys listed?

x_man11
11-21-2014, 02:14 PM
OK all -- I got some clarity on the sale and what was going on. Here are the details on ordering. I'm sorry for any confusion!

PM me if anyone would like to have the form emailed to them! It has the picture of the jersey and all the info below. I guess they just did not post it to the website yet.

Dates of public sale:
November 1
st
– November 30th
Cost:
$100 with custom number
$110 with custom number and name
How to order:
Email poem1@xavier.edu
Include: size, number, name, and choice of grey or blue jersey

Send payment to:
Xavier Ice Hockey
O’Connor Sport Center
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, Ohio 45207-6116

waggy
11-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Those are sweet.

x_man11
11-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Those are sweet.

A lot more baller than when I played years ago, that's for sure! For 1/2 of the season we didn't even have matching jerseys! haha

XUBT
11-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for looking into it X_MAN! Look for a PM from me for the order form.

x_man11
11-21-2014, 03:37 PM
You've got it! If anyone else needs it sent to them let me know, but it looks like the info is the same as what I posted. The pdf file just comes with a nice pic of the jerseys. Which by the way are sweet!

x_man11
12-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Did anyone end up ordering a jersey? If so, did you get it yet/what do you think of it? I'm proud of how the program has grown over the years and was happy to see they finally took my suggestion to offer jerseys for sale!

XUBT
12-10-2014, 12:46 PM
I ordered a couple, one for me and one for my kid. Haven't seen anything yet but it's only been 2+ weeks.