PDA

View Full Version : Kamall Richards (Xavier Commit)

Xavgrad08
10-25-2012, 06:17 PM
I didn't see another thread on Kamall. If I missed it I apoligize. Acording to Alex Kline@TheRecruitScoop Kamall has narrowed his list down to Xavier, Seton Hall & St. Joseph's.

Kamall Richards SF
Ht:6'6"
Wt:210 lbs

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kamall-Richards-142826

xu95
10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
We are a little late getting into the game because a)we had better options at one time, and b)he has a relationship with one of our new assistant coaches. I hear he is high on Xavier currently though.

MHettel
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Not an impressive list. And a 6'6" SF isnt exactly the kind of kid I'm hoping for. 6'6" SG....I'm in. But SF needs to help rebound and probably will defend some much bigger guys.

Should be interesting.

Retire33
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
He from South Kent, CT is a former or currently courted recruit from there too? I want to say Chris Thomas was from there or up there at school for a while. Any chance this recruitment is a push for Thomas recommittment?

bigdiggins
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Not an impressive list. And a 6'6" SF isnt exactly the kind of kid I'm hoping for. 6'6" SG....I'm in. But SF needs to help rebound and probably will defend some much bigger guys.

Should be interesting.

Dez, Dante, CJ Anderson none of them were taller than 6'6". Brown may have played some SF , but other than that who was the last SF X had over 6'6"?

Juice
10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Dez, Dante, CJ Anderson none of them were taller than 6'6". Brown may have played some SF , but other than that who was the last SF X had over 6'6"?

Not to mention Cheekz was our SG at 6'1'' last year, and now MHettel wants a 6'6'' SG? This isn't the NBA.

xlax
10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
He from South Kent, CT is a former or currently courted recruit from there too? I want to say Chris Thomas was from there or up there at school for a while. Any chance this recruitment is a push for Thomas recommittment?

you'd have a better shot at listing the schools Chris Thomas didn't attend than the ones he did.

MHettel
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Dez had freakish athleticism. We had 2 studs in the backcourt, and Dez didnt really show an ability to shoot like a guard. He projects to be an NBA 2. I think he played the 3 out of convienece.

Dante was a good player and a great teammate. But his production was horrible. I'm not looking for another Dante.

CJ had a VERY unique game. Extremely strong in his ability to finish inside, but realistically was probably below average in nearly every other skill on the floor (solid rebounder).

I would like to win championships. You know what teams win championships? Teams with 6'9" SFs and 6'6" SGs. I just think 6'6" is too small for SF, UNLESS he's brining some crazy specific skill (dead-eye shooter, Derrick Brown hops, unbeleiveable slasher....)

xlax
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
You know what teams win championships? Teams with 6'9" SFs and 6'6" SGs.

UK won the championship last year with Doron Lamb (6 '4) at SG and Darius Miller (6 '7) at SF.

Uconn won it two years ago with Shabazz Napier (6 '1) at SG and Jeremy Lamb (6 '4) at SF.

Duke won it in 2010 with Nolan Smith (6 '2) at SG and Kyle Singler (6 '8) at SF.

North Carolina won it in 2009 with Wayne Ellington (6 '4) at SG and Danny Green (6 '5) at SF

Kansas won it in 2008 with Mario Chalmers (6 '1) at SG and Brandon Rush (6 '6) at SF

I'm not sure how much further back i should go before it becomes apparent that you're blatantly wrong. Of the past 5 national champions none of them had a SG at 6 '6 or above and none of them had a SF at 6 '9 or above. Hell only one team had a player within an inch of the heights you say championship teams need at that position and that was Duke with Kyle Singler.

In summary, you are wrong and it really isnt close.

DC Muskie
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not looking for another Dante.

Dante Jackson was a champion. I'm looking for more of those.

XU 87
10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
And a 6'6" SF isnt exactly the kind of kid I'm hoping for. 6'6" SG....I'm in.

And so is UK, Duke, NC, and OSU, and the NBA.

MHettel
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
UK won the championship last year with Doron Lamb (6 '4) at SG and Darius Miller (6 '7) at SF.

Uconn won it two years ago with Shabazz Napier (6 '1) at SG and Jeremy Lamb (6 '4) at SF.

Duke won it in 2010 with Nolan Smith (6 '2) at SG and Kyle Singler (6 '8) at SF.

North Carolina won it in 2009 with Wayne Ellington (6 '4) at SG and Danny Green (6 '5) at SF

Kansas won it in 2008 with Mario Chalmers (6 '1) at SG and Brandon Rush (6 '6) at SF

I'm not sure how much further back i should go before it becomes apparent that you're blatantly wrong. Of the past 5 national champions none of them had a SG at 6 '6 or above and none of them had a SF at 6 '9 or above. Hell only one team had a player within an inch of the heights you say championship teams need at that position and that was Duke with Kyle Singler.

In summary, you are wrong and it really isnt close.

Good research. You list a total of 10 guys who wound up at UK, UConn, Duke, UNC and Kansas. Pretty much the top prgrams in the country. It's possible that despite their less than ideal size, they were simply the BEST PLAYERS in the country, and among the very elite recruits in their respective years.

This richards kid doesnt appear to have any ranking whatsoever, and is being recruited by the likes of Hofstra, Florida Atlantic AND Florida International, Duquesne, and of course 5 other A-10 teams. Kind of a big difference.

I dont know much about this guy, but this late involvement screams desperation to me.

xlax
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Good research. You list a total of 10 guys who wound up at UK, UConn, Duke, UNC and Kansas. Pretty much the top prgrams in the country. It's possible that despite their less than ideal size, they were simply the BEST PLAYERS in the country, and among the very elite recruits in their respective years.

This richards kid doesnt appear to have any ranking whatsoever, and is being recruited by the likes of Hofstra, Florida Atlantic AND Florida International, Duquesne, and of course 5 other A-10 teams. Kind of a big difference.

I dont know much about this guy, but this late involvement screams desperation to me.

Do me a favor then and find the last national champion whose SG and SF fit into your height criteria. I mean, you did say "You know what teams win championships? Teams with 6'9" SFs and 6'6" SGs".

I've went back 5 years and I can't find anything to support that statement. I'd love for you to take a shot at it.

GIMMFD
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm totally fine with a 6'6 SF, if he can play, contribute, and work his ass off. That's all I care about, someone who's going to play every game like his last, if this kid fits the bill according to Mack and company, then swoop him up. Simple as that.

RealDeal
10-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Dante Jackson was a champion. I'm looking for more of those.

I've got champions in that locker room!

RealDeal
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Do me a favor then and find the last national champion whose SG and SF fit into your height criteria. I mean, you did say "You know what teams win championships? Teams with 6'9" SFs and 6'6" SGs".

I've went back 5 years and I can't find anything to support that statement. I'd love for you to take a shot at it.

LA Lakers.

MHettel
10-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Ok. Maybe I wont find them. But that doesnt change my initial opinion that a 6'6" SF better have something very special, because that is smallish. This kid doesn't have an impressive list, and he's neither tall or apparently thick for his position. An undersized, mid-major level player. Cant wait.

XU 87
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, I suppose he's better than the other recruits we have landed so far in the 2013 class.

LA Muskie
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, I suppose he's better than the other recruits we have landed so far in the 2013 class.

Sadly, this cracked me up.

DC Muskie
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
MH has to be ecstatic we didn't land Kris Jenkins. That undersized forward would have been a problem.

xlax
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Visiting Seton Hall (http://zagsblog.com/articles/kamall-richards-to-visit-seton-hall-then-likely-decide/) and then will pick between them, st joe's, and xavier. I can only imagine what some posts will look like if he picks seton hall or st joe's.

blueblob06
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Really loved to read that his coach said this:
"He’s as tough as anybody I’ve coached. He’s just a competitor. He rebounds from the guard postion better than anybody I’ve ever had."

Seton Hall and St Joe's obviously have us beat on proximity to home. Hopefully Myles Davis is talking us up. With no depth at SF at this point, you would think he'd get the opportunity to earn minutes next year. Not sure how that compares to the SH and Joe's rosters at this point.

xlax
11-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Really loved to read that his coach said this:
"He’s as tough as anybody I’ve coached. He’s just a competitor. He rebounds from the guard postion better than anybody I’ve ever had."

Seton Hall and St Joe's obviously have us beat on proximity to home. Hopefully Myles Davis is talking us up. With no depth at SF at this point, you would think he'd get the opportunity to earn minutes next year. Not sure how that compares to the SH and Joe's rosters at this point.

I'd be worried about Seton Hall here. Kevin Willard is a hell of a recruiter and he is quietly getting that program back on track.

94GRAD
11-06-2012, 11:28 AM
X verbal per Brian Snow

xufan02
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Here is him making the call.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/kamall-richards-heading-to-the-a-10/

DoubleD86
11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
If Mack and Co. can follow this up with a commitment from Brandon Randolph from California, they will have done a hell of a job salvaging this class. Bringing those two in with Myles and Jalen next year will be a solid class.

blueblob06
11-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is him making the call.

Woohoo! Good to hear this news.

Are we being punked though and he will be de-committing later on today?

blueblob06
11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Anyone know much about the PG on his team that he's wanting to come to X? Shane Rector.

xufan02
11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Anyone know much about the PG on his team that he's wanting to come to X? Shane Rector.

Xavier is recruiting him, but has not offered. They have three other combo guards that are higher priorities right now.

gladdenguy
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Congrats to Coach Howard and Coach Mack on this get.

ammtd34
11-06-2012, 01:09 PM
A post on a Marquette board said that Marquette offered Richards in July.

GreatWhiteNorth
11-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Finally, some good news after a string of disasters. Congrats to X's coach staff.

BandAid
11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Welcome to X Kamall!

xufan02
11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Mike Richardson ‏ @ Richardsonmike2
2013 PG Brandon Randolph will be at Xavier this Friday for an official visit.

crolfes12
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
First 2013 recruit commits. Doesn't look like he's a big prospect.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2012/11/06/kamall-richards/

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kamall-Richards-142826

MU5K1E_MADNE55
11-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Good to hear! At this point any recruit is a good recruit. He'll be a body! If I'm not mistaken I think this leaves us with 3 scholarships left to fill for next season.

SixFig
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Well if he was once committed to Pepperdine that shows bad judgement for a point guard :laugh:

GIMMFD
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
There would have been a problem if we missed out on him, good for X. Now let's get the recruiting wheels rolling..

GIMMFD
11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Mike Richardson ‏ @ Richardsonmike2
2013 PG Brandon Randolph will be at Xavier this Friday for an official visit.

Could we strike lightning twice in one week? I wouldn't mind Randolph, looks like he's a pure scorer, something we could use...

GoMuskies
11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Well if he was once committed to Pepperdine that shows bad judgement for a point guard :laugh:

Decommitting from Pepperdine probably shows bad judgment.

http://www.myfavoritecheerleader.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6751.0;attach=1101 97;image

ArizonaXUGrad
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Hopefully it's a break the seal kind of thing. Hopefully kids see him commit and give us a second look.

JimmyTwoTimes37
11-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Decommitting from Pepperdine probably shows bad judgment.

http://www.myfavoritecheerleader.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6751.0;attach=1101 97;image

Horrible cold weather and gangs/drugs/slums everywhere, Malibu is just a terrible place to live.

Masterofreality
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
What? You mean that every high/prep school basketball player on planet Earth doesn't want to avoid Xavier like the plague because of its horrible admins, stringent code of conduct rules and that you must wear a condom during sex if your partner asks if you have one on?

Shocking!

Although I really hope neither he nor his parents read this (is there a privacy mode button?)- Welcome to Musketeer-land Kamall!

Xaveriana
11-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Turning the corner feels good. Keep the mo!

NY44
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM

He committed on SNY, the NY-regional sports network the Mets play on. It's pretty cool to see a commitment live, it makes it feel much more significant. This commitment is quite a relief, I was worried recruits would be weary of X after the Dez fiasco.

Muskie
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
First 2013 recruit commits. Doesn't look like he's a big prospect.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2012/11/06/kamall-richards/

He's a late bloomer. We've done well with those kids.

XUFan09
11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
He's a late bloomer. We've done well with those kids.

Yeah, he's a legit player and should be a big help next year. A fuller evaluation will be determined in this coming year at South Kent, where he has been able to be more perimeter-oriented.

Muskie
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, he's a legit player and should be a big help next year. A fuller evaluation will be determined in this coming year at South Kent, where he has been able to be more perimeter-oriented.
He apparently has been working on his perimeter game already (and has shown improvement).

XUFan09
11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
He apparently has been working on his perimeter game already (and has shown improvement).

Yep. Overall a larger sample size, we'll hopefully see him as very consistent. He does seem very motivated to improve his game, especially shooting and ball-handling. If he does well in those categories and has good lateral quickness too, that kind of size at the shooting guard spot would be great for this team next year.

XUFan09
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Also, he's already a great rebounder for a wing. That's heartening.

Juice
11-06-2012, 08:20 PM
He is pronounces Xavier as Xzavier. Is everyone ok with this? Because I know it pisses a lot of people off.

Lamont Sanford
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
In the video he mentions that he is working on talking his South Kent PG teammate to join him at Xavier. Any word on this kid? Are we recruiting him too?

Welcome to Xavier, Kamall!

nuts4xu
11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
He is pronounces Xavier as Xzavier. Is everyone ok with this? Because I know it pisses a lot of people off.

If he commits, Coach Mack will straighten him out. I am not as worried about a 17 year old kid mispronouncing his name as I would be with someone that knows better.

He will figure it out.

crolfes12
11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
In the video he mentions that he is working on talking his South Kent PG teammate to join him at Xavier. Any word on this kid? Are we recruiting him too?

Welcome to Xavier, Kamall!

Looks like his name is Shane Rector, we are not on his radar though he has some solid schools going after him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Rector-120886

XUFan09
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Looks like his name is Shane Rector, we are not on his radar though he has some solid schools going after him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Rector-120886

Never, ever, ever trust Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc., when it comes to schools of interest on a player's profile page. They are so wrong at times.

Xavier has been recruiting him.

Xman95
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
If he commits, Coach Mack will straighten him out. I am not as worried about a 17 year old kid mispronouncing his name as I would be with someone that knows better.

He will figure it out.

We got a verbal from him today.

XUFan09
11-06-2012, 10:35 PM
We got a verbal from him today.

The signing period starts in 8 days. We'll receive confirmation soon enough.

CinciX12
11-06-2012, 11:23 PM
If he can't say the name of his school correctly then I do not have to ever acknowledge he is on the team.

X Factor
11-07-2012, 12:24 AM
If he can't say the name of his school correctly then I do not have to ever acknowledge he is on the team.

What?

ArizonaXUGrad
11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Never, ever, ever trust Rivals, Scout, ESPN, etc., when it comes to schools of interest on a player's profile page. They are so wrong at times.

Xavier has been recruiting him.

Even scout? I thought it was just ESPN and Rivals that were terrible.

XUFan09
11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Even scout? I thought it was just ESPN and Rivals that were terrible.

It's just different degrees of bad. There's a communcation gap between those updating the profiles and the guys who are really in the know for all these recruiting organizations. We'll be listed as a school for a recruit sometimes who just mentioned Xavier once (without X really recruiting him at all) and then we won't be listed for a recruit that we are heavily recruiting and might actually be able to get a commit from soon.

UCGRAD4X
11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
re: pronouncing Xavier incorrectly

He did so twice, then the interviewer pronounced it correctly and Kamall did as well the two times afterward. So, he can be taught. Sr. Rose should be encouraged.

XUFan09
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM
re: pronouncing Xavier incorrectly

He did so twice, then the interviewer pronounced it correctly and Kamall did as well the two times afterward. So, he can be taught. Sr. Rose should be encouraged.

I got a chuckle out of that.

theleague
11-09-2012, 07:35 AM

ArizonaXUGrad
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Did he sign?

muskienick
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
It's not a done deal until the signed papers arrive. What's the holdup (if any)?

XUFan09
11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Just some technical issues, apparently. Nothing to worry about (though of course that won't stop people).

muskienick
11-20-2012, 05:45 AM
What's so technical about a fax or USPS transmission?

Masterofreality
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
“@AdamZagoria: Kamall Richards, who committed on @SNYtv, has officially signed with Xavier."

Done deal.

ammtd34
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Someone has been taping his school's games and putting the full games on Youtube. I haven't watched any of them, but they're there if anyone's interested.

XUFan09
01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Someone has been taping his school's games and putting the full games on Youtube. I haven't watched any of them, but they're there if anyone's interested.

Awesome. Might take a look at those when I'm bored.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Awesome. Might take a look at those when I'm bored.

So...company hired a new AP clerk for me to supervise. Guy's nephew is a 2015 PG and highly rated. Anyway, kid played with Kamall Richards. The AP clerk used to coach AAU ball.

He said he was surprised to see Kamall go to a school like XU since he had him projected to be at a lower A10 school. He did say the kid is a hard worker, puts himself in the right spots on and off the court, but should take a year or two before he sees the court. Wouldn't surprise him at all if he redshirted.

I think the games are being recorded because Tyler Ennis and my co-worker's nephew play there.

MHettel
01-17-2013, 05:43 PM
worst news possible.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
worst news possible.

That's a little extreme with the talent we have coming in.

Grylls
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Sometimes you never know how good a kid is until he starts to play. For an extreme example, Doug McDermott was not recruited by his father while he was at Iowa State because he didn't think he was good enough to play at that level. Turns out he's a pretty good player.

Muskied
01-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Sometimes you never know how good a kid is until he starts to play. For an extreme example, Doug McDermott was not recruited by his father while he was at Iowa State because he didn't think he was good enough to play at that level. Turns out he's a pretty good player.

Butler has about 6 dudes projected to play in the Horizon...and they are doing ok.

2 years ago, we BEGGED for players to play hard, and give consistent effort. If we get a few role players who can give defensive intensity, I feel good about the rest of the talent on the team keeping up offensively. Also keep in mind....we needed a slump buster worse than Manti Te'o.

DC Muskie
01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Missouri was recruiting this kid. People were surprised all of the Pac-10 missed out on him. But some guy in account payable says he's surprised he got recruited so highly and MH thinks it's the worst possible news.

Good lord.

bobbiemcgee
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a couple UD buddies who told me they saw Semaj play in HS and weren't impressed. hehehe

nkymuskie
01-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Missouri was recruiting this kid. People were surprised all of the Pac-10 missed out on him. But some guy in account payable says he's surprised he got recruited so highly and MH thinks it's the worst possible news.

Good lord.

This is the Kamall Richards thread, not the Brandon Randolph thread.

gladdenguy
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Haha. DCMuskie never has a clue what he is talking about. Sounds about right.

GoMuskies
01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
He had offers from Seton Hall, Duquesne and St. Joe's according to Scout. Not exactly a who's who of top college basketball powers, but they all obviously get good players sometimes. We'll find out more in about 10 months.

XU 87
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
So...company hired a new AP clerk for me to supervise. Guy's nephew is a 2015 PG and highly rated. Anyway, kid played with Kamall Richards. The AP clerk used to coach AAU ball.

He said he was surprised to see Kamall go to a school like XU since he had him projected to be at a lower A10 school. He did say the kid is a hard worker, puts himself in the right spots on and off the court, but should take a year or two before he sees the court. Wouldn't surprise him at all if he redshirted.

I think the games are being recorded because Tyler Ennis and my co-worker's nephew play there.

We don't necessarily need him to come in next year and play. We've got Stainbrook and Reynolds coming in and Farr will have a year under his belt. And hopefully Philmore will have Taylor-like improvement next year.

But my own top secret inside sources tell me that Richards is a pretty good player. We'll see.

GoMuskies
01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
We don't need him to come in next year and play. We've got Stainbrook and Reynolds coming in and Farr will have a year under his belt.

I hope you're right, but I'm not exactly feeling secure about two guys who've never played a minute for Xavier and another guy who can't get off the bench as part of the worst frontcourt I've ever seen Xavier have.

DC Muskie
01-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Right. The kid who went on TV to announce that he was coming to Xavier. We won't know how good he is until he gets here.

XU 87
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
I hope you're right, but I'm not exactly feeling secure about two guys who've never played a minute for Xavier and another guy who can't get off the bench as part of the worst frontcourt I've ever seen Xavier have.

As you were posting, I made a slight edit to my post- we don't "necessarily" need him to come in and play (but we might). I've heard that Reynolds is pretty good and that Stainbrook is pretty good too. But we'll see.

GoMuskies
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
We need the Big Stain and Reynolds to be very good next year, no doubt about that. I expect Randolph to be really good, such that we should have an excellent starting backcourt. To me, Davis, Richards and Cantino are just total wildcards.

XU 87
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Based on what I've read, I'm not expecting Cantino to play much if at all next year.

It was strongly implied on the Scout board when Farr committed that he would be a bit of a project.

gladdenguy
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
We need the Big Stain and Reynolds to be very good next year, no doubt about that. I expect Randolph to be really good, such that we should have an excellent starting backcourt. To me, Davis, Richards and Cantino are just total wildcards.

Our starting five next year
Randolph
Semaj
Martin
Philmore (like it was said.....he needs to improve big time)
Stainbrook

Off the bench
M. Davis
J. Reynolds
D. Davis
J. Farr
E. Stenger (few minutes)

I don't expect anybody else to get time. Richards can redshirt if he wants. Cantino is just not good enough.

GoMuskies
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Why on earth was Cantino given a scholarship, then? If he's not any good and is in a bizarre eligibility situation, what was the point?

We weren't using the scholarship for anything else anyway, so I hope the guy takes advantage of the free education, but the whole situation still seems quite odd.

waggy
01-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Father Graham liked him?

SixFig
01-17-2013, 11:25 PM
For what its worth, I have a friend who is a current Div. 1 assistant coach and has deep ties to the New England Prep and AAU Circuit. He was extremely bullish about Kamall, and said that a number of good teams, including Gonzaga among others, was on to him. Of course he needs to get stronger physically but according to him Richards is a Xavier level player for sure.

And he RAVED about Brandon Randolph. Said he was a high major player would be a starter on a Pac12 team.

We will see

bleedXblue
01-18-2013, 05:52 AM
I wonder what was being said about Justin Cage when he was recruited by X.

GoMuskies
01-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Justin Cage was Mr. Basketball in Indiana in '03.

PMI
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Good lord.

I don't know why this is really news to anyone. This is exactly what we were told Kamal Richards would be months ago when he committed. Someone talks to his friend about the guy and hears exactly what we already knew and people are just now second-guessing the signing? Not everyone comes in an immediate stud. He could end up being fine or getting passed over by the others on the roster, which would just mean we have other better players. Or maybe he'll actually be good.

bleedXblue
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Justin Cage was Mr. Basketball in Indiana in '03.

And was a 3 star recruit I think ?

My point is that he wasnt expected to come in right away and be an instant contributor.........even though from what I remember he had a pretty decent Freshman year.

kyxu
01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
And was a 3 star recruit I think ?

My point is that he wasnt expected to come in right away and be an instant contributor.........even though from what I remember he had a pretty decent Freshman year.

This is true. As far as Indiana Mr. Basketball goes, Cage was lightly heralded. He won the award for essentially being the best player on the best team in Indiana (Pike High), and coming from a program that had churned out a lot of future NBA players. Cage was not considered to be one of those kinds of guys. Still, he was a good college player who had a solid career at X, so maybe those voters were on to something.

GoMuskies
01-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Scout had Cage as a 4 star player and #71 in his class.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 09:33 AM

Good lord.

Guy in AP who was an AAU coach whose nephew plays with Kamall Richards who this guy is in contact with every day. The nephew is a top 25 2015 player.

In the end you can believe what you want but I have seen the texts Book Richardson sends this guy. Everything seems on the up and up with him. He is a pretty honest guy.

It's just a chat board and beholden to second hand information. You can pick and choose what info you believe or not believe.

Edit: He called the kid a "4 year contributor". I think that is something this program needs. XU will never be a depot for kids who leave early. We need hard workers who have long term commitment. Also, Richards plays with Isaiah Briscoe/Tyler Ennis this year and Melvin Johnson (VCU) was on his team last year. Johnson is their Myles Davis type of guard.

DC Muskie
01-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Guy in AP who was an AAU coach whose nephew plays with Kamall Richards who this guy is in contact with every day. The nephew is a top 25 2015 player.

In the end you can believe what you want but I have seen the texts Book Richardson sends this guy. Everything seems on the up and up with him. He is a pretty honest guy.

It's just a chat board and beholden to second hand information. You can pick and choose what info you believe or not believe.

Edit: He called the kid a "4 year contributor". I think that is something this program needs. XU will never be a depot for kids who leave early. We need hard workers who have long term commitment. Also, Richards plays with Isaiah Briscoe/Tyler Ennis this year and Melvin Johnson (VCU) was on his team last year. Johnson is their Myles Davis type of guard.

I have no problem with you sharing information. I have a problem with people who think Accounts Payable guy's opinion is the worst possible news. No doubt the guy is honest, I have no reason not to think that.

Jordan Crawford left early. Semaj could leave early. But yes, we've always had four year contributors. I have no idea how this kid will turn out. But the worst possible news to me would be he's dead. Or he gave up basketball. Or he's dead. Did I mention that before? Not someone's opinion.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
I have no problem with you sharing information. I have a problem with people who think Accounts Payable guy's opinion is the worst possible news. No doubt the guy is honest, I have no reason not to think that.

Jordan Crawford left early. Semaj could leave early. But yes, we've always had four year contributors. I have no idea how this kid will turn out. But the worst possible news to me would be he's dead. Or he gave up basketball. Or he's dead. Did I mention that before? Not someone's opinion.

You should probably just ignore that poster totally or maybe just his overly negative posts. I also get your post is trying to be humorous, but it doesn't change the fact the guy is still involved in a recruitment and was on the East Coast AAU scene. This is no different any other opinion or third party info connection on here.

Edit: Include that I was really just confirming from another source what most people here already suspected.

BandAid
01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
If this kid doesn't go pro after one year he's a freakin flop, and it'll be a sign the entire Xavier program is going down the tubes.

DC Muskie
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
You should probably just ignore that poster totally or maybe just his overly negative posts. I also get your post is trying to be humorous, but it doesn't change the fact the guy is still involved in a recruitment and was on the East Coast AAU scene. This is no different any other opinion or third party info connection on here.

Edit: Include that I was really just confirming from another source what most people here already suspected.

I like the insight you gave. I hope that none of this deters you from sharing in the future. Having said all that, I will most likely continue to refer to him as Accounts Payable guy, because I find that personally funny.

Before you ask, yes I understand that by doing so I am being a dick. Accounts Payable people are very important and have tough jobs. Just to clarify.

Smails
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
If Brandon Randolph unseats Dee Davis next year, then we are going to be really strong. If Dee makes the same level of improvement that he did from last year to this year, I can't see him being a non-starter. This year is a serious hair pullerouter, but damn I think the cavalry is on the way. From what I've been told we are really going to like Stainbrook's game.

xu95
01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
If Brandon Randolph unseats Dee Davis next year, then we are going to be really strong. If Dee makes the same level of improvement that he did from last year to this year, I can't see him being a non-starter. This year is a serious hair pullerouter, but damn I think the cavalry is on the way. From what I've been told we are really going to like Stainbrook's game.

Chris Mack will tell you exactly that. He is very excited to have Stainbrook next year.

xu95
01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I just went and talked to someone in our Accounts Payable and unfortunately he didn't have any insight into Kamall Richards.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
I like the insight you gave. I hope that none of this deters you from sharing in the future. Having said all that, I will most likely continue to refer to him as Accounts Payable guy, because I find that personally funny.

Before you ask, yes I understand that by doing so I am being a dick. Accounts Payable people are very important and have tough jobs. Just to clarify.

I won't deny you that. Everyone has their lot in life, it's really what you do with it and what kind of person you are that matters in the end.

bleedXblue
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM

How many times have we heard this though ?

We heard Taylor and Philmore were tearing it up in practice and they both struggled in their first year back.

I'm going to remain positive that Stainbrook will come in right away and be ready to go. The balls gotta bounce in our direction at some point after all of the struggles we've had the last 2-3 years with recruiting/recruits.

My hope for Richards is that he can come off the bench, play D and rebound. Not really expecting a lot more than that. Essentailly what Cage did his Freshman year.

DC Muskie
01-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I won't deny you that. Everyone has their lot in life, it's really what you do with it and what kind of person you are that matters in the end.

Internet messageboard wisdom. Speak to truth my brother.

GoMuskies
01-18-2013, 11:28 AM
No fighting my fellow members of the Class of '98.

I think it just hit me that was 15 years ago. Damn.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM

I watched a couple of Stain's games that were televised last year. The kid could play when he was pretty overweight so I would imagine his quickness would only improve towing around 30ish pounds less.

I don't like speculating starting lineups for next year before this year is over. At this point, I would tend to agree that a Junior Davis will be ahead of Randolph at least at the start of the year. Remember, Randolph will be coming from HS I don't believe he is even prepping.

xufan02
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Not sure where they play together because Kamall is at South Kent this season and Ennis/Briscoe don't play for them. They are actually at St. Benedicts. Kamall is who he was when he committed on November 6th. I'm excited for the toughness and competitiveness he will bring to the wing. If Justin Martin doesn't put in a lot of work this summer; Kamall might steal minutes.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM

We heard Taylor and Philmore were tearing it up in practice and they both struggled in their first year back.

I'm going to remain positive that Stainbrook will come in right away and be ready to go. The balls gotta bounce in our direction at some point after all of the struggles we've had the last 2-3 years with recruiting/recruits.

My hope for Richards is that he can come off the bench, play D and rebound. Not really expecting a lot more than that. Essentailly what Cage did his Freshman year.

Agreed, remember also that XU is getting 6 new bodies next year to replace 3 guys who graduate. I think the odds that 1-3 of those guys being good is better than when we are pulling in just 2 recruits.

The other side of that, now the team will have guys in practice at every position that aren't just walk-ons that are fighting for PT. If you think no way Reynolds beats out Phillmore for more PT it doesn't change the fact that Phillmore will have to show it in practice every day. That should make all the players better in the long run

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Not sure where they play together because Kamall is at South Kent this season and Ennis/Briscoe don't play for them. They are actually at St. Benedicts. Kamall is who he was when he committed on November 6th. I'm excited for the toughness and competitiveness he will bring to the wing. If Justin Martin doesn't put in a lot of work this summer; Kamall might steal minutes.

Kamall was at St. Benedicts last year.

xufan02
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Kamall was at St. Benedicts last year.

I am aware, so Bob in AP hasn't seen Kamall play in 5 months, but knows he is not a stud. Gotcha.

Juice
01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Agreed, remember also that XU is getting 6 new bodies next year to replace 3 guys who graduate. I think the odds that 1-3 of those guys being good is better than when we are pulling in just 2 recruits.

The other side of that, now the team will have guys in practice at every position that aren't just walk-ons that are fighting for PT. If you think no way Reynolds beats out Phillmore for more PT it doesn't change the fact that Phillmore will have to show it in practice every day. That should make all the players better in the long run

I also think that Phillmore should make a jump in performance similar to Taylor's this year. He will be a senior and will be adjusted more to high D1 play rather than mid/low D1 play that they both saw at their previous schools. I don't see Philmore being a go to guy or anything like that, but a capable starter at the PF position next to Stainbrook.

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I am aware, so Bob in AP hasn't seen Kamall play in 5 months, but knows he is not a stud. Gotcha.

Yeah just 5 months and his nephew played with the kid, we are talking 5 months of real time not dog years.

bobbiemcgee
01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
I spoke with Brenda, the AR clerk @ St. Benedict's. She said she heard cabal was pretty good. Saw him waiting a bus last night.

bleedXblue
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I also think that Phillmore should make a jump in performance similar to Taylor's this year. He will be a senior and will be adjusted more to high D1 play rather than mid/low D1 play that they both saw at their previous schools. I don't see Philmore being a go to guy or anything like that, but a capable starter at the PF position next to Stainbrook.

Philmore looks to me that he could lose some weight and trim down a bit. He's a slogger and at 6'6-6'7 thats a tough spot to play in the post with.

I could be wrong, but I bet if he lost 10-15 lbs he could gain some quickness and improve his play dramatically.

MHettel
01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I am being a dick. .

We finally agree on something.

xufan02
01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah just 5 months and his nephew played with the kid, we are talking 5 months of real time not dog years.

Just busting balls. I think Kamall will be a pleasant suprise.

DC Muskie
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
We finally agree on something.

Thanks for chiming in princess.

MHettel
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
When I hear an opinion about a player, and that opinion is from an average Joe and he declares that "player X is going to be awesome!", I take it with a grain of salt. It's EASY to predict success.

You just dont normally hear opinons where people express surprise that a player got picked up by a certain team because they didn't beleive they were good enough...

An so what if the guy is an AP clerk. He's an AAU Coach and is close to the game. Ed Hochuli and every other NFL referee have "day jobs", but I'd take their opinion when it came to matters concering the NFL.

The source is a coach and the source is indicating that we might be stretching.

Lets face facts. We had ZERO recruits going into the signing period. We sequentially struck out on 3-4 guys in a row, finally settling on Richards who nobody knew was even on the radar. We didn't sign him because he was the player we targeted. We signed him because we needed to sign someone and when we didnt get the guys we really wanted, we settled for him. Now we hear less than glowing reviews about him from a guy qualified to give reviews....

I'll take Cage ALL DAY. I would love another Cage. If thats his upside, then I'm fine with that. Not all guys actually achieve their upside, however...

Last point. In 1998 or so I was REALLY following XU recruting and we struggled to land a few targets. I had all my hopes pinned on a kid named Ricky Wright, who ultimately picked Villanova and had a solid career there. At the time, we appeared out of options, having not landed multiple targets. We settled for David West. I expressed my doubts about that one.....

waggy
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Is Kamall even real?

ArizonaXUGrad
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Just busting balls. I think Kamall will be a pleasant suprise.

I agree, I think he is going to progress into exactly the kind of player XU has seen over the years.

CSS85
01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Is Kamall even real?

I wish Churchill Odia wasn't. It cracks me up that people get so worked up about ANYONE's projections about players this young. It's not like Semaj was a highly rated player since he was 14 or something. That's one of the reasons Mack thinks he is so coachable. There can be many problems with Prima Donna players (UCLA???) so if we can find guys who are late bloomers, who "experts" think aren't very good, who develop AND have a chip on their shoulder, that seems like a very promising formula for success.

LA Muskie
01-18-2013, 04:34 PM

This was my thought exactly. I hope he does tear it up next year, but experience says that the transfer transition is a tough one.

PMI
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
When I hear an opinion about a player, and that opinion is from an average Joe and he declares that "player X is going to be awesome!", I take it with a grain of salt. It's EASY to predict success.

You just dont normally hear opinons where people express surprise that a player got picked up by a certain team because they didn't beleive they were good enough...

An so what if the guy is an AP clerk. He's an AAU Coach and is close to the game. Ed Hochuli and every other NFL referee have "day jobs", but I'd take their opinion when it came to matters concering the NFL.

The source is a coach and the source is indicating that we might be stretching.

Lets face facts. We had ZERO recruits going into the signing period. We sequentially struck out on 3-4 guys in a row, finally settling on Richards who nobody knew was even on the radar. We didn't sign him because he was the player we targeted. We signed him because we needed to sign someone and when we didnt get the guys we really wanted, we settled for him. Now we hear less than glowing reviews about him from a guy qualified to give reviews....

I'll take Cage ALL DAY. I would love another Cage. If thats his upside, then I'm fine with that. Not all guys actually achieve their upside, however...

Last point. In 1998 or so I was REALLY following XU recruting and we struggled to land a few targets. I had all my hopes pinned on a kid named Ricky Wright, who ultimately picked Villanova and had a solid career there. At the time, we appeared out of options, having not landed multiple targets. We settled for David West. I expressed my doubts about that one.....

1. There are plenty of times where people think a player out-kicked his coverage in terms of where he committed to school, and not just in basketball. You don't hear about it as often because people don't generally want to publicly say negative things about kids, but if you have any connections to high school/AAU coaching, you hear it plenty. Hell, I've heard it about past Xavier recruits too. I heard it about several players from my high school, most recently Tyler Thorton of Duke, who is having a pretty solid career.

2. Ed Hochuli is the most overrated referee in professional sports history. I would take any of his opinions with a grain of salt.

3. I love Justin Cage. He's one of my all-time favorite Musketeers. But I'll never understand why his name comes up so often in comparison to other recruits of young players. It seems like anyone who isn't a 4 or 5 star and who is known to work hard and hustle gets compared to Cage. Obviously, Cage did all of those things well, but he was also a really solid all around player, and very rarely do you see a player come in who completely reminds you of a past player, because all players are unique. I understand the concept of comparing players, but I guess I don't get why it's always Cage who is compared to every player who is known to do the little things well.

5. I don't get why people get so worked up over what they perceive to be "just taking a player for the sake of taking one." First off, Mack isn't going to take someone who he truly believes couldn't play here, even if they may have an uphill battle. And if they do have an uphill battle, it's only because there are better players in the program at their position. You either use your scholarships or you waste them. It's not like we were choosing between Richards and three other 5 stars, all of whom would've committed on the spot. If he can play, great. If he can't see many minutes, he will probably transfer and his scholarship will be replaced. It happens every year. We've never had all of our scholarship players play, and we never will.

4. I do not doubt that you doubted David West. And if it's so EASY to predict success as you say, you wouldn't have expressed many doubts, would you?

Take it from Denny Green. What people are apparently now just discovering about Richards as a prospect are what we thought they were. Nothing groundbreaking has been said in this thread in the past two days. It's exactly what we were told months ago. What we don't know is how it will play out on the court when he gets here.

Xman95
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Is Kamall even real?

Yes, he is. I saw him the other day eating dinner with Lennay Kekua.

Masterofreality
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
3. I love Justin Cage. He's one of my all-time favorite Musketeers. But I'll never understand why his name comes up so often in comparison to other recruits of young players. It seems like anyone who isn't a 4 or 5 star and who is known to work hard and hustle gets compared to Cage. Obviously, Cage did all of those things well, but he was also a really solid all around player, and very rarely do you see a player come in who completely reminds you of a past player, because all players are unique. I understand the concept of comparing players, but I guess I don't get why it's always Cage who is compared to every player who is known to do the little things well.

People forget that Justin Cage was Indiana's Mr. Basketball in 2003. I always though that Justin had the skill set to be another Mark Aguirre,but for whatever reason, he never performed like that.....until the Ohio State game, and we know what happened in that one. :sick:

ammtd34
01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a couple UD buddies who told me they saw Semaj play in HS and weren't impressed. hehehe

It was probably in the district final in 2011 against Travis Trice's Wayne team. The game was at UD and Semaj was in foul trouble most of the game so he didn't play much. He had 13. Trice had 38, but Winton Woods won the game.

bobbiemcgee
01-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I wish Churchill Odia wasn't. It cracks me up that people get so worked up about ANYONE's projections about players this young. It's not like Semaj was a highly rated player since he was 14 or something. That's one of the reasons Mack thinks he is so coachable. There can be many problems with Prima Donna players (UCLA???) so if we can find guys who are late bloomers, who "experts" think aren't very good, who develop AND have a chip on their shoulder, that seems like a very promising formula for success.

Agree. Reason they have 13 'ships when only 5 can play at a time.