PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2012 Signing Day

X-Fan
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
So, with the recent Decommit, will there be anyone signing on Signing Day?

Someone, PLEASE, give me some good news.

xsteve1
10-02-2012, 05:26 AM
So, with the recent Decommit, will there be anyone signing on Signing Day?

Someone, PLEASE, give me some good news.

Not looking too good. Maybe Patterson, but that is a big if.

ArizonaXUGrad
10-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Not looking too good. Maybe Patterson, but that is a big if.

This team needs a 6'6-7 SF and a guard or two especially an off-guard. Mack is definitely in panic mode recruiting wise unless he has guys we don't know of yet.

As of now with no Cantino on the roster, there will be 5 open scholarships and that gives 2 to Davis/Reynolds hoping they stick around.

xudash
10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
This team needs a 6'6-7 SF and a guard or two especially an off-guard. Mack is definitely in panic mode recruiting wise unless he has guys we don't know of yet.

As of now with no Cantino on the roster, there will be 5 open scholarships and that gives 2 to Davis/Reynolds hoping they stick around.

I'm asking honestly, where would they go otherwise? Is the presumption too much tuition involved in staying at Xavier, coupled with an ability to play immediately were they not to stay on Xavier's campus?

ArizonaXUGrad
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm asking honestly, where would they go otherwise? Is the presumption too much tuition involved in staying at Xavier, coupled with an ability to play immediately were they not to stay on Xavier's campus?

My thoughts were that exactly, the cost of the tuition being too high or worse being unable to secure a loan. I am definitely getting the impression from these two that they are going to do whatever they can to stay on Xavier's campus.

I think PT isn't their #1 priority. I think these two clearly want to play 4 years here, otherwise, they would have left school and signed on some CC for immediate playing time and cheaper tuition costs. By staying on campus and getting loans, don't they keep that 4 year of eligibility?

jcubspoe
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
My thoughts were that exactly, the cost of the tuition being too high or worse being unable to secure a loan. I am definitely getting the impression from these two that they are going to do whatever they can to stay on Xavier's campus.

I think PT isn't their #1 priority. I think these two clearly want to play 4 years here, otherwise, they would have left school and signed on some CC for immediate playing time and cheaper tuition costs. By staying on campus and getting loans, don't they keep that 4 year of eligibility?

Yes, they will have 4 years of eligibility even if they sit out this year. Every player has 4 years of PLAYING eligibility, some even get 6 years to do it if a hardship waiver can be proven...death in family, injury (Mbakwe at Minn this year is in his 6th season).

GIMMFD
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Zero recruits. Great. I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise...

ArizonaXUGrad
10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Zero recruits. Great. I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise...

At this point best case scenario Cantino is eligible, that leaves this team 1 scholarship short of being full. Next year there will be 4 scholarships open. It's October, we are less than 3 weeks from the season and zero of those four have been filled.

bigdiggins
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
At this point best case scenario Cantino is eligible, that leaves this team 1 scholarship short of being full. Next year there will be 4 scholarships open. It's October, we are less than 3 weeks from the season and zero of those four have been filled.

There are only 8 scholarship players on the team right now. How many scholarships is an eligible Cantino taking?

wkrq59
10-04-2012, 01:28 AM
May I remind you all of the season back in the late 80s when a kid named Derek Strong became one of the first Prop 48 players to lose his freshman year. He was not allowed to practice with the team so Walt McBride and I think Dexter Bailey, two grads came to Schmidt almost every day to practice with him and keep his spirits up. Derek started is sophomore year and helped Tyrone and Byron lead Xavier to the start of new era of Xavier basketball. He is a member of the Xavier athletic hall of fame, BTW. He graduated with his class and the year after he graduated, the NCAA changed the rules to allow prop 48s to be partial qualifiers and have an extra year of eligibility if they graduated with their class. Think of the front line of Brian Grant, Aaron Williams and Derek Strong, Jamal Walker and Jamie Gladden and Michael Hawkins, Colin Parker and Michael Davenport .....Remember, remember??????
:seestars::wink::pulpfiction:

ArizonaXUGrad
10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
There are only 8 scholarship players on the team right now. How many scholarships is an eligible Cantino taking?

You are right, Davis and Reynolds are not currently taking a scholarship but since there aren't any immediately available guys theirs will not be filled. They will be filled next year.

FYI, Stainbrook being a transfer is a scholarship player he is just not allowed to play in games. We have 9, 8 that can play. If Cantino is eligible that would be 9 that can play and 10 overall. We have two coming in, Davis and Reynolds next year and 3 exhausting eligibility. If all goes well we have 4 open for 2013.

MHettel
10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
May I remind you all of the season back in the late 80s when a kid named Derek Strong became one of the first Prop 48 players to lose his freshman year. He was not allowed to practice with the team so Walt McBride and I think Dexter Bailey, two grads came to Schmidt almost every day to practice with him and keep his spirits up. Derek started is sophomore year and helped Tyrone and Byron lead Xavier to the start of new era of Xavier basketball. He is a member of the Xavier athletic hall of fame, BTW. He graduated with his class and the year after he graduated, the NCAA changed the rules to allow prop 48s to be partial qualifiers and have an extra year of eligibility if they graduated with their class. Think of the front line of Brian Grant, Aaron Williams and Derek Strong, Jamal Walker and Jamie Gladden and Michael Hawkins, Colin Parker and Michael Davenport .....Remember, remember??????
:seestars::wink::pulpfiction:

Hawkins never played with Strong, Walker, Parker or Davenport. he was a freshman in 1991-92.