PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed : Remainder 2012 Football Season cancelled

nickgyp
09-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Cancellation of Xavier-Miami game and Club Season

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another board, I had noted Youth Night for the Xavier-Miami Club game that had been scheduled for this weekend. Unfortunately, the Musketeer team suffered a number of injuries that reduced an already depleted roster to 21 available players. This is not enough to remain competitive with other schools like Miami which lists over 80 players on its roster; and the risk of injury to the remaining Muskie players would increase and simply would not be worth it. Coach McCormick and his staff worked very hard to make the 2012 seson a success and they remain committed to 2013.

Here is the official announcement:

"With numerous player injuries suffered in the past two weeks depleting the football program’s roster to a level which creating a safety concern, the recreation department, club officers, and coaching staff have agreed to cancel the remainder of the 2012 season. The Xavier University Club Football team regrets the inconvenience this will create for members of the Midwest Club Football Conference, and the National Club Football Association, but student-athlete safety is the primary concern."

From the Head Coach:

Please let it be known that a current advertisement for the Xavier University club football program's Youth Night showing on the High School Game of the Week page of WCPO.com contains incorrect information. A full page ad in the Crosstown Showdown program is also incorrect. Due to the season's cancellation, there will be no Youth Night this Saturday at Marx Stadium. The Xavier University club football program, its officers, and coaches apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

What looked like a very promising season (which, in part led to this promotional advertisement), unfortunately became a victim of injuries and associated events in connection with creating the proper football atmosphere which is necessary for the football program to seriously compete with other club football teams within the MWFC.

Advertising on WCPO.com, originally purchased for the purpose of promoting upcoming home games will now focus on the program's 2013 recruiting agenda.

Sincerely,

Sean E. McCormick, Head Coach
Xavier University Club Football

XU 87
09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Didn't they have to cancel the season a few years ago for the same reasons? I wonder how much interest there is in playing club football.

Jumpy
09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I think I've got a couple of years of eligibility left. I could be an offensive guard or something. I just need a position where I don't have to move around much.

nickgyp
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
'87:

Yes, it did happen in 2010. There is a lot of interest; coach McCormick's roster heading into fall was near 50 with mostly freshman this year. However, even though it's only club football, it takes a big commitment to play. Many of this year's newcomers were scared off after Manresa indicated that adjusting to college takes some time. Coach McCormick expects a minimum level of player commitment and others had a hard time adjusting to his expectations. Conditioning and practice is necessary; without it; injuries are more likely to occur. Hopefully, after their first year is over, many of the frosh will opt to play in 2013. Last year, Miami's roster was approximately 50 and most other club teams are less than that for reasons such as studies, part-time jobs, etc.. Club football is doable but it doesn't have a big margin of error with players. I was stunned to learn Miami's club team numbered over 80 players. You want the players to be competitive and fun but not risk injuries.

DC Muskie
09-21-2012, 08:15 PM
'87:However, even though it's only club football, it takes a big commitment to play. Many of this year's newcomers were scared off after Manresa indicated that adjusting to college takes some time.

Sorry, this is pretty funny. I am impressed there was an official announcement and ads for the upcoming game.

Seriously it's too bad the season had to end this way. I hope the guys are able to turn it around next year. Also, keep them away from Manresa!

nickgyp
09-21-2012, 09:12 PM
DC:

Coach McCormick signs players up as freshmen-to-be; they arrive on campus one or two days before Manresa with initial practices starting just as they hit start college. With games starting in two-three weeks, there just is a lot of stuff to adjust to as far as being on one's own. A number of this year's frosh expressed interest in biology/pre-med as majors; and I don't think some of them realized what they were getting into. Yes, it is club football but it's not intramurals. I too hope that the interest remains for these players after their first year. Heck, years ago the NCAA had freshmen ineligibility for a reason.