PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Player of the Year?

jdm2000
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
This should be an interesting year. I think it will be tough for any of the Muskies to win the award (though Burrell has a good shot at Defensive POY, which is phenomenal for a guard). Just too much balance--hard to pick one. So who will it be?

Calathes -- Probably the best player on the second best team in the league. Could be helped by a strong finish.

Forbes -- Prolific scorer for the Minutemen -- if they go on a run, get in position to make the tourney, he could be a dark horse candidate.

Roberts -- Sorry, I just don't see it at this point. If it were given for the non-con, he'd be a shoo-in. But he's been handled in two games against X, and he has not come up big in some other games (see the missed FTs to ice it at the LaSalle game). Plus, it might take some real stones to give it to a guy who's the best player on a team that's probably going to finish somewhere between 8th and 12th in the conference.

Who are the other candidates?

wkrq59
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Channel 19 had an interesting piece---very long on Burrell, Drew and Josh, especially Stanley.
In it the sportscaster said Sean was trumpeting Burrell for POY, not just def.poy in the conference.
One thing is for damn sure:If Sean Miller isn't coach of the year in the A10, something is really wrong. Heck, at this juncture he could give Calipari or Ben Howland at UCLA a run for his money. Ditto for Bruce Pearl. I know this, too. Drew and Duncan and Stanley should all be in line for serious hardware as far as all-conference teams and def player of the year as well as POY in the conference.

GuyFawkes38
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Xavier has dominate such a tough conference that I think it should go to an X player.

I would be content with either Burrell or Lavender.

It would be a crime if the honor goes to a different player of a team other than X.

PM Thor
02-24-2008, 11:16 PM
It won't go to an X player, we are too balanced. No players number jumps out at you. There are other eye popping players out there who are much more important for their teams than any individual player for X.

I think it will be Calathes. That guy is scary good.

xuirish
02-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I think it should be a Co-Co-Co-Co MVP Burrell, Lavender, Brown, and Duncan.

jdm2000
02-25-2008, 06:30 AM
It won't go to an X player, we are too balanced. No players number jumps out at you. There are other eye popping players out there who are much more important for their teams than any individual player for X.

Agreed -- much as I would love for it to go to a Muskie, I just can't see it, given the team's balance.

dc_x
02-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Will Daniels at URI is a leading candidate.

It's tough to make an argument for Drew. His case would have actually benefited if Xavier would have lost a few games while we has less than 100%. The fact that Xavier keeps with winning without a healthy Drew makes it tough to argue that he is POY.

Snipe
02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
I think it should be a Co-Co-Co-Co MVP Burrell, Lavender, Brown, and Duncan.

I thought it was a great move when Skip Prosser did away with the team MVP awards because basketball is a team game. I don't think we should ever bring it back.

Who is the MVP on this team between Lavender, Duncan or Burrell. It is impossible for me to say. I can't say enough about all three of them and we couldn't afford to lose one of them. They make this team incredible. Not one of them worries about himself, they all give everything they have for Xavier University.

Seems like one of the biggest problems of the Muskies chances is that they might split the vote. I could see people voting for Burrell, Lavender or Duncan.

Outside of Xavier I would look no further than Calathes. That kid is a flat out stud and SJU is second in the league. This team has plenty of players with talent and stats, but I like winners. If not an X-man, Calathes would be my pick. That kid has game.

Muskie
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
What about Goldwire at Charlotte?

Kahns Krazy
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I thought it was a great move when Skip Prosser did away with the team MVP awards because basketball is a team game. I don't think we should ever bring it back.

Who is the MVP on this team between Lavender, Duncan or Burrell.

Some say Burrell is the Heart and Soul of this team.

DC Muskie
02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
I really think at the end of the day it's Roberts. This conference has a standard of giving it out to players on bad teams.