PDA

View Full Version : Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

bobbiemcgee
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Rip

Masterofreality
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
So...

Neil Armstrong's death is merely a ticker mention on the television, meanwhile when the "King of Pop" dies, it was break-in bulletins and non-stop coverage. As I recall, Neil "Moonwalked" long before Michael Jackson ever thought of it.

Misplaced media priorities, me thinks.

X-band '01
08-25-2012, 05:52 PM
We can put a man on Mars and people will still care more about Jacko or other dead celebs instead.

If memory serves me correctly, Armstrong was the only guy I ever know of who was featured on US coins while still alive; that's why his face didn't appear on the Ohio quarters when they came out in 2002.

joebba
08-25-2012, 06:16 PM
I was woking as a "floating" bank teller in the summers while in college at X 20+years ago. I was working as a bank in Lebanon, OH, and cashed a personal check for Neil Armstong. I thought that was cool. He was in a elite group, only one of 12 men to walk on the moon. His quiet private nature seemed evident. I did not let him know I recogized who he was, but I was thinking this man walked on the moon. Very cool.

LadyMuskie
08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I was sad to hear this news today. He was a good man who accomplished great things. I had the privilege of meeting him more than once, and he was a kind, unassuming man. You never would have known he was the first man to walk on the moon. I know his ex-wife as well, and she's the exact opposite of him, but not in a bad way.

I'm also a little sad, for some reason, because the moon landing happened on July 20th, which is my birthday. I've always been fascinated by the Apollo program the minute I learned in grade school that they landed on my birthday (well, 10 years before I was born, but you get the idea). Neil Armstrong's name will be uttered in the same breath as the great explorers like Columbus and Magellan.

vee4xu
08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
One small step for man, one giant leap to Heaven's gate.

Rest in peace Ohio hero. You were truly a modern pioneer.

nuts4xu
08-26-2012, 12:58 AM
It's a bad week to be named "Armstrong"....

Kahns Krazy
08-27-2012, 03:02 PM
From Snopes:

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.asp#pD6Iee3UC4Sl01d6.99

CinciX12
08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I grew up about 45 minutes from Wapak. My first class field trip was to the museum there in 2nd grade.

I was ignoring the news that day, my parents were in town and we were heading down to the Cardinals and Reds game. It truly sucked that after all the celebration for Barry Larkin that I had to find out while we did a moment of silence for Neil.