PDA

View Full Version : The Litigious Nature of Our Society is Curious and Saddening

Tardy Turtle
08-17-2012, 09:01 AM
It's 100+ degrees and the bench is black and fully exposed... THAT MEANS IT'S HOT YOU FUCKTARD.

People are dumb.

Cowboys fan gets the red ass, sues team. (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8276263/dallas-cowboys-hot-water-burned-fan-files-lawsuit-teamhttp://)

blueblob06
08-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Jeeze, so we need a sign that says "this may be hot" next to outdoor benches? What's next?, signs on each street that say "Cars might hit you if you walk into the street".

Kahns Krazy
08-17-2012, 09:47 AM
That says 3rd degree burns. I'm no doctor, but how hot would a surface have to be to suffer 3rd degree burns through clothing before you realize the shit is hot and stand up? I call nans unless this broad had some nerve damage or something already.

paulxu
08-17-2012, 10:11 AM
She should have been wearing her meatoga.

coasterville95
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry, meatoga was confiscated at the gate for carry in food.

I've seen a few stainless steel serving counters at venues that have a caution about this surface can be extremly hot. Really, if I touch the exposed out in the bright sun metal countertop that is gleaming in my eye, I could get burned? Who knew?

Cars in street can be dangerous - have you seen what they did to a lot of the Las Vegas strip? Put substainatial walls/fences up on the edge of the sidewalk, and bridges over the intersections. Gets real annoying to have to go up, over and down at every intersection.

Then down by the Riviera they have installed anti -jaywalking fencing down the center of the divider.

Yes, people seemed to need to be protected from themselves, and then cry and whione when comapnies and the government actually do go out of their way to protect people from themselves.

This probably won't change until "The plaintiff is an idiot" (Otherwise known as the "It's common sense" argument) holds up in court as a defense.

bobbiemcgee
08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
She should have been wearing her meatoga.

One hot piece of ass.

xubrew
08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
From the article....

"She sat down on this black bench, outside an entrance and unfortunately she suffered third-degree burns as a result of it and had subsequent skin grafts,"

That's unbelievable. I don't see how that is even possible. Just how hot was the bench??

bobbiemcgee
08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
If she sat there for awhile, I'm guessing maybe alcohol was involved?

xubrew
08-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Linked below is what a third degree burn looks like, and this is actually mild case of third degree burn by third degree burn standards. It is preposterous that someone would do this to themselves by sitting on a bench. I don't disagree that it appears utterly ridiculous on the surface, but maybe there is something to this. A bench, even a black bench in the middle of the Texas summer heat, shouldn't go so hot that it causes a third degree burn.

Was someone grilling out, and she mistook the grill for a bench??

http://www.burnremedies.com/images/thirddegreeburnpic.jpg

blobfan
08-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't get it. How hot does black marble get? I can take a pan off hight heat, let it sit on a marble counter for a while, and still be able to touch the marble after I remove the sizzling hot pan. I just don't think it can absorb enough heat from the sun to burn human flesh. What's more, it seems she was sitting for some time, so she would have progressed from 1st degree burns, which sweat and alcohol might mask, through 2nd burns which hurt like hell, all the way to 3rd degree burns? And she didn't know until she stood up to use the restroom that she was burned? Was she wearing shorts or did this happen due to direct contact from skin to marble? I just don't see how this happens.

The irony is that someone probably spent the money on a marble bench thinking it would be less of a heat hazard than metal.

Masterofreality
08-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm suing Tardy Turtle for starting this thread.

blobfan
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm suing Tardy Turtle for starting this thread.

There really should be a disclaimer on this site to proceed at your own risk. I think you have a case. If we start accumulating evidence of lost productivity, brain and liver cells as a result of visiting this sight, we might have a class action suit on our hands.

xubrew
08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
To test Blofan's theory, I tried heating up a pan and putting it on my marble-(ish) countertop. I burned myself in the process.

I'm suing blofan for putting the idea in my head, Tardy Turtle for starting the thread that enabled blofan to put the idea in my head, the girl the burned herself that caused Tardy Turtle to start this thread, and last but not least, I'm also suing the Cowboys.

xubrew
08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Okay, in all seriousness.....

I believe everyone has heard of the case where an old woman sued McDonalds because her coffee was too hot. Like me, you probably thought it was ridiculous that someone could be awarded such a huge settlement over something so frivelous. My opinion on it changed completely after I saw the documentary that HBO made in regards to the incident.

This link shows a picture of just how badly she was burned.

http://travis.pflanz.me/2011/hot-coffee-2011/

If you hand someone a cup of liquid that is three times the temperature of what is reasonably safe, you are negligent. Another thing I didn't know about was how many people had complained about that particular McDonalds. If you put something that hot in your mouth, you're going to burn the hell out of your mouth. Apparently several people did, and also needed medical attention.

So, on the surface, it sounds utterly ridiculous for someone to sue McDonalds because their coffee was too hot. But, now that I know the whole story, I think it was legit. You cannot reasonably say that it isn't dangerous or negligent to hand something to someone that is close to 300 degrees without them knowing how hot it is.

I don't know the specifics of the girl who burned herself sitting on the bench, but it sounds too crazy to be as as simple as that. You don't get a third degree burn by sitting on a bench in any sort of normal circumstance. Maybe something negligent was done, and she has a legit case.

vee4xu
08-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Back in the day when I had Mr. Meeker for Business Law he taught us about assumption of risk. Seems pretty applicable here. His example was you go to a Reds game, sit in the third base box seats and you take a shot to the chops from a Pete Rose foul ball, too bad. Assumption of risk says that you knew the risk when you bought the ticket. In this case, see hot bench, sit on hot bench, get burned.

vee4xu
08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Maybe Jerry Jones should countersue her for gross stupidity.

paulxu
08-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Wait a second. Water boils at 212. How could a cup of coffee get to 300?
It would melt the cup, or be bubbling all out the top, or through the lid.

GoMuskies
08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
It was more like 180 degrees. Everyone else sold their coffee at a much lower temp. Clearly, that's what a reasonably prudent person would do under the circumstances.

Smooth
08-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Okay, in all seriousness.....

I believe everyone has heard of the case where an old woman sued McDonalds because her coffee was too hot. Like me, you probably thought it was ridiculous that someone could be awarded such a huge settlement over something so frivelous. My opinion on it changed completely after I saw the documentary that HBO made in regards to the incident.

This link shows a picture of just how badly she was burned.

http://travis.pflanz.me/2011/hot-coffee-2011/

If you hand someone a cup of liquid that is three times the temperature of what is reasonably safe, you are negligent. Another thing I didn't know about was how many people had complained about that particular McDonalds. If you put something that hot in your mouth, you're going to burn the hell out of your mouth. Apparently several people did, and also needed medical attention.

So, on the surface, it sounds utterly ridiculous for someone to sue McDonalds because their coffee was too hot. But, now that I know the whole story, I think it was legit. You cannot reasonably say that it isn't dangerous or negligent to hand something to someone that is close to 300 degrees without them knowing how hot it is.

I don't know the specifics of the girl who burned herself sitting on the bench, but it sounds too crazy to be as as simple as that. You don't get a third degree burn by sitting on a bench in any sort of normal circumstance. Maybe something negligent was done, and she has a legit case.

The bad part of that case is not who's negligence/stupidity caused the burn, the truth is that her old dried-up cunt wasn't worth 32 cents before the incident, let alone the money she was awarded.

xubrew
08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Wait a second. Water boils at 212. How could a cup of coffee get to 300?
It would melt the cup, or be bubbling all out the top, or through the lid.

Correct. The "2" and the "3" are right next to each other. I screw up numbers when I type and don't proofread. I think a strong case was made that it was too hot to be considered safe to handle. I mean...look at what happened to her when she spilled it.

Back in the day when I had Mr. Meeker for Business Law he taught us about assumption of risk. Seems pretty applicable here. His example was you go to a Reds game, sit in the third base box seats and you take a shot to the chops from a Pete Rose foul ball, too bad. Assumption of risk says that you knew the risk when you bought the ticket. In this case, see hot bench, sit on hot bench, get burned.

If it was just a minor burn that didn't require a skin graft I would agree with you entirely. It was a third degree burn, though. I guess my issue is that I just don't see how that's possible. It just doesn't seem natural that a bench would THAT hot just by being out in the sun. Say something was done to it. I have no idea what, but say there was a grill, or a heater, or something that was placed on it and caused it to heat way up. Would that make you feel differently about it??

I'm not saying that something was done to it, but I just can't imagine that it would get that hot by just sitting there. I've sat on metal bleachers and benches in 111 degree weather, and I never got burned, much less gotten a third degree burn.

vee4xu
08-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Correct. The "2" and the "3" are right next to each other. I screw up numbers when I type and don't proofread. I think a strong case was made that it was too hot to be considered safe to handle. I mean...look at what happened to her when she spilled it.

If it was just a minor burn that didn't require a skin graft I would agree with you entirely. It was a third degree burn, though. I guess my issue is that I just don't see how that's possible. It just doesn't seem natural that a bench would THAT hot just by being out in the sun. Say something was done to it. I have no idea what, but say there was a grill, or a heater, or something that was placed on it and caused it to heat way up. Would that make you feel differently about it??

I'm not saying that something was done to it, but I just can't imagine that it would get that hot by just sitting there. I've sat on metal bleachers and benches in 111 degree weather, and I never got burned, much less gotten a third degree burn.

Completely with you bro.

kmcrawfo
08-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Just in case people are curious, this article will probably answer some questions about different materials temperature. Testing was done in 104 degree heat.

http://landscapegardeningplants.com/landscapenews/nov10/itstoohot.html

A surface/material's temperature and ability to injure the skin depends on that materials ability to efficiently store heat energy and then conduct/transfer that heat energy into the skin. The best example I can think of is that the more similar a material is to a black frying pan/grittle the more efficiently it will be able to do so. In this case, my guess is black marble probably was at/above the temp of the black vinyl. Approx 200 degree. Plenty hot enough to cause severe skin burns with prolonged exposure.

However, you will notice these people were smart enough to remove there hands when they hurt. The difference between this and the coffee is that when you spill the coffee you can't remove the coffee. However, you can remove your hand/butt/legs from a hot surface if you place them there. If this was truly an injury able to be sustained in a few seconds of exposure, it would have occurred previously as I am pretty sure this is not the first 100 degree day in Texas since that bench was placed. Other people have sat on the bench, and smartly they got up when it hurt.

If you sit on a bench and it is hot, get the heck up. You should not get 3rd degree burn from a few seconds of exposure to these temperature. This lady had to sit and stay sitting for the heat/energy transfer to occur in order to sustain these injuries.

I have never seen or heard of someone getting burns like this from a black slide, black stone bench, etc. I would have to guess that she had to have more than a common sense exposure to this material.

nuts4xu
08-18-2012, 12:45 AM
If you hand someone a cup of liquid that is three times the temperature of what is reasonably safe, you are negligent.

Agreed, however according to the Specialty Coffee Association of America and the National Coffee Association, the optimal temperature for brewing a great cup of coffee is 197.6 – 204.8F. If the temperature of the water is too low under extraction occurs. Since acids in the beans are the first substances to dissolve, the coffee will taste weak and have a sour flavor.

The optimum drinking temperature, according to the Specialty Coffee Association of America, is between 140º F & 160º F.

Therefore if you have a cup of liquid 3 times the temperature of what is reasonably safe, you are handing them a cup of liquid that is roughly 420 degrees. This isn't phyically possible in my opinion. If you fill even a paper cup with liquid at this temperature, it would melt the plastic lining, dissolve the paper, and melt anything it came in contact with. To serve a liquid this hot, it would have to be boiling excessively to even approach these temperatures.

It is my opinion McDonald's settled with this crazy woman to minimize the damage and negative publicity they received as a result. The company I work for benefitted from his case, and we were awarded the hot cup business at McDonald's to appease the outraged public.

LadyMuskie
08-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Clearly the woman who sat on the bench is the same reason there is a warning tag on my hair dryer that says "DO NOT USE WHILE BATHING" and provides a lovely picture of what not to do. She's also the reason my stand mixer says "Do not insert hand into beaters while machine is on". When we bought our new dishwasher and oven, it actually said in the instruction manual not to place human beings inside the dishwasher or the oven - just in case we were foggy on where we could place the human beings. This woman, and her ilk, are the reasons why I see these warnings, and think "Who needs to be told that?" If you sit down and a seat is hot, who doesn't stand back up and say "Wow. That's hot. I wouldn't sit there if I was you."

People make me sad.

Smooth
08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
My favorite is the jar of mixed nuts that says "May contain nuts" on the label. Just waiting for the day that label is required on men's underwear.

UCGRAD4X
08-19-2012, 08:13 AM
If you sit down and a seat is hot, who doesn't stand back up and say "Wow. That's hot. I wouldn't sit there if I was you."

Sitting on something black in 100+ heat in the first place constitutes a fair amount of stupidity in the first place. It's all down the left side of the IQ bell curve from there.

LadyMuskie
08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Sitting on something black in 100+ heat in the first place constitutes a fair amount of stupidity in the first place. It's all down the left side of the IQ bell curve from there.

You're right. I can't imagine that there wasn't a fair amount of heat emanating from the bench in the first place that she had to have felt before sitting down. There is no such thing as common sense anymore.

DC Muskie
08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
This person is a Cowboys fan. Of course she is an idiot. They put a star on the helmet for the inbreeds to know which team is theirs.

blobfan
08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
To test Blofan's theory, I tried heating up a pan and putting it on my marble-(ish) countertop. I burned myself in the process.

I'm suing blofan for putting the idea in my head, Tardy Turtle for starting the thread that enabled blofan to put the idea in my head, the girl the burned herself that caused Tardy Turtle to start this thread, and last but not least, I'm also suing the Cowboys.

Wow. I feel bad for this 'blofan.'

X-band '01
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Blofan, Blobfan, Boobfan, Blofeld, I'm sure they're al upstanding individuals.

paulxu
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Does this new forum look come complete with spell check?

X-band '01
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Anyone who owns an iPhone or iPad can speak to Auto-Correct or SpellCheck being more of a burden in some cases.

PMI
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
This person is a Cowboys fan. Of course she is an idiot. They put a star on the helmet for the inbreeds to know which team is theirs.

All this is very true. Cowboys fans are very unintelligent, shoddy creatures and do things nonsensical things all the time. I once saw a Cowboys fan get himself hit in the back of the neck with a dart. The dart board and the dart throwers were all right there in plain sight. I thought it was a spellbinding sight, until I realized it was a Cowboys fan, and then it just seemed about right. That's how they are, and this woman is no exception due to her allegiance. Now she's a Cowboys fan and an actual redskin. Who'd have thought? But I do hope this moron wins her suit against them. Jerry Jones keeps these damned oven seats at his stadium to go along with the punt-blocking scoreboard spaceship and the thousands of standing room tickets that don't even allow you into the stadium, among many other things. I swear that place is actually an evil transformer. Dallas sucks, and I hate them.

xubrew
08-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Okay, this was a freak accident, whereas the Cowboys fan arguably brought it on herself, but still....$14.5 for getting hit with a baseball seams more than just a little bit too much....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/14-5m-boys-brain-injury-161747443--spt.html

QueensbridgeMF
08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM5PWNevVmE

how much is this Boys fan going to get from the Chargers?