PDA

View Full Version : London 2012

Emp
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Anyone going? I'm in for few days of T&F (Decathlon) and will find a perch for the Women's Marathon.

What's your favorite (summer) Olympic event/sport? I'm crazy about the 4x400 relays (dammit, we still have the best 400 runners at least). The 4x100 relays always drive me nuts because the US cant seem to keep the baton moving around the track.

I get a perverse delight in the nut grabs and assorted shenanigans under water in water polo: a street brawl played in 8 feet of water.

Porkopolis
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
My favorite event is the same as yours--the relays. I loved baseball but the IOC hates the Americas and Asia so they removed the sport from competition. Enjoy yourself, London is a great city and will be absolutely nuts for the Olympics. My friend lives in the western suburbs and can't get over the buzz in the city.

LadyMuskie
07-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Less than 24 hours until the start of the Opening Ceremonies broadcast!!!

The USA Women's Soccer Team has already kicked some French derriere! U-S-A! U-S-A!

There really isn't a sport in the summer games that I don't enjoy. I'd prefer not to watch badminton, table tennis or regular tennis, but outside of that I like it all. Swimming and diving are probably my favorites because I was on a swim team and dive team for a while. Gymnastics is always great. I also enjoy the crew events, fencing, equestrian events, and beach volleyball. Again, there really isn't much I don't like!

Cheesehead
07-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Volleyball, basketball, track & field....ok pretty much anything.

LA Muskie
07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
I enjoy everything except badminton, table tennis and team handball because they are the only sports in which the US has never taken gold (or, for that matter, any medal).

Actually, I quite like team handball nevertheless. So, just badminton and table tennis. And frankly I'd probably even watch badminton for a beer or two.

Cheesehead
07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I enjoy everything except badminton, table tennis and team handball because they are the only sports in which the US has never taken gold (or, for that matter, any medal).

Actually, I quite like team handball nevertheless. So, just badminton and table tennis. And frankly I'd probably even watch badminton for a beer or two.

I actually played team handball at XU as part of Spring Olympics. It was very fun. We played in Schmidt.

LadyMuskie
07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm watching Rock Center with Brian Williams right now, and they said there are rumors that there's a live duel between Lord Voldemort and Mary Poppins. Really, Britain? Really? Perhaps we should have allowed China to produce all Opening Ceremonies after the 08 games.

Masterofreality
07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
What is it with bad Olympic mascots?

I thought Atlanta was the worst, but this?

Bad Mascots (http://www.accessatlanta.com/celebrities-tv/atlantas-olympic-mascot-meets-532495.html)

PM Thor
07-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Im watching the epic battle of Belarus vs New Zealand in mens soccer right now. Loving it.

I can watch it all, love the Olympics as a whole, but cannot wait for the cycling events, especially the one day race, the Brits are going.g to be very hard to beat.

I HATE dayton.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
The road race could be the best in a while depending on whether the punchuers work their magic. Box Hill is not an overly difficult climb but the 7-9th time up could prove hard for Cavendish. If there is a gap look for all other countries to drop the hammer to keep him in the back.

I cannot get into any sports with judges. For me there needs to be a finish line or point scoring or whatever. Stuff like gymnastics just doesn't interest me in the least.

Someone please explain to me why you can dance in a stupid pool for a gold medal but you can't win a gold in baseball and softball.:confused:

Kahns Krazy
07-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm in the I can watch anything crowd. I was watching Gabon Switzerland in soccer yesterday.

ballyhoohoo
07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm watching Rock Center with Brian Williams right now, and they said there are rumors that there's a live duel between Lord Voldemort and Mary Poppins. Really, Britain? Really? Perhaps we should have allowed China to produce all Opening Ceremonies after the 08 games.

I heard the English Olympic team would be lead into the stadium for the opening ceremony by an old man, Benny Hill style.

PM Thor
07-27-2012, 05:56 PM
The road race could be the best in a while depending on whether the punchuers work their magic. Box Hill is not an overly difficult climb but the 7-9th time up could prove hard for Cavendish. If there is a gap look for all other countries to drop the hammer to keep him in the back.

I cannot get into any sports with judges. For me there needs to be a finish line or point scoring or whatever. Stuff like gymnastics just doesn't interest me in the least.

Someone please explain to me why you can dance in a stupid pool for a gold medal but you can't win a gold in baseball and softball.:confused:

But when you have the TDF winner leading you out, like what I expect to happen, that's hard to beat.

Factor in the virtual non pros from random countries riding though, who knows. The young American, can't remember his name,
(Tejay Van Garderen) should do well.
I HATE dayton.

xudash
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Fantastic opening ceremony.

Hey Jude with whatever it was - about a hundred thousand of your closest friends.

James Bond and the Queen. That was good.

Kahns Krazy
07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
The croatian women's baskteball team has a crazy hottie on it.

Pablo's Brother
07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Fantastic opening ceremony.

Hey Jude with whatever it was - about a hundred thousand of your closest friends.

James Bond and the Queen. That was good.

I get 007 and Mary Poppins - but what in the Sam Hell does the NHS have to do with the Olympics?

X-band '01
07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I heard the English Olympic team would be lead into the stadium for the opening ceremony by an old man, Benny Hill style.

Was Mr. Bean close enough? I thought for a moment Ron Everhart was leading the way for Britain.

Apparently the IOC doesn't like America/Asia's stranglehold on such sports. I dunno.

X-band '01
07-28-2012, 07:27 PM

We (read: Ralph Lauren) let them make the uniforms for America instead.

Zing!

bjf123
07-28-2012, 11:31 PM

I have to agree with you. I think any sport that is judged subjectively should not be in the Olympics. I'm not saying the gymnasts, synchronized swimmers, etc., aren't great athletes, I just don't think those should be Olympic sports. Maybe I'm jaded from watching the Olympics during the Cold War and seeing the blatantly political scoring that went on between the Russian and East German judges on one side and the US and British judges on the other in gymnastics and figure skating.

Xavgrad08
07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Michael Phelps has not looked good so far. I think he got a little complacent after the success in the 08 Olympics.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-30-2012, 10:33 AM
But when you have the TDF winner leading you out, like what I expect to happen, that's hard to beat.

Factor in the virtual non pros from random countries riding though, who knows. The young American, can't remember his name,
(Tejay Van Garderen) should do well.
I HATE dayton.

Like I thought could happen, the punchuers did their thing and held off the Germans/Aussies/Brits. Though I hate Vino because of his doping and such it was better then another Cav win and being forced to listen to Phil Liggett and his incessant biased reporting.

5 man teams is not enough to control a race and add to that the lack of race radios and anything can happen.

Tu 4 MVP
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm a fan of the Dutch field hockey team. I dont know if there good or not, but they should be fun to watch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/dutch-field-hockey-popular-reasons-beyond-field-hockey-232321640--oly.html

PM Thor
07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Like I thought could happen, the punchuers did their thing and held off the Germans/Aussies/Brits. Though I hate Vino because of his doping and such it was better then another Cav win and being forced to listen to Phil Liggett and his incessant biased reporting.

5 man teams is not enough to control a race and add to that the lack of race radios and anything can happen.

Yeah I kind of think a one day road race with those restrictions is a bit of a crock. Go with the team time trial and individual trial, a 155 mile one day doesn't really represent cycling and what it's all about for me.

I HATE dayton.

JimCoker
07-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Aren't these the Olympics that Nick Vehr worked so hard to get to come to Cincinnati about a decade ago? I seem to recall that he even gave up a seat on council to Chair the 2012 Cincinnati Olypmic bid.

Muskie
07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm a fan of the Dutch field hockey team. I dont know if there good or not, but they should be fun to watch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/dutch-field-hockey-popular-reasons-beyond-field-hockey-232321640--oly.html

What time do they play?

Tu 4 MVP
07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
What time do they play?

Set the DVR for tomorrow at 9:30 AM

joebba
07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Anyone feel like bustin' out to a chorus of Y-M-C-A while watching this. These guys are total grade A prime for the hard core supermax prison types.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Yeah I kind of think a one day road race with those restrictions is a bit of a crock. Go with the team time trial and individual trial, a 155 mile one day doesn't really represent cycling and what it's all about for me.

I HATE dayton.

I see your point there but then a team TT would only favor those countries with good TT'ers. The Spaniards and Italians and the Countries with limited pro-cyclists would never have a shot. You also can't have a 2 week olympic stage race. I think what they have is really the best they can do for both the riders and the fans. It's a circuit so fans can line the course and watch riders on multiple laps and they can toss in a hill like Box Hill or maybe something a bit harder and make it doable for the better climber types.

I think Beijing had a slight uphill finish giving Sanchez a shot. It's a unique sport in that there are just some guys know going in that they will not be standing on the podium because they will cook themselves 50k from the finish.

That said, the race was fun to watch even though a former doper won. I would be in favor of more cycling events including a criterium, short track mountain biking, and cyclo-cross. I would add those and dump any even with the words Dressege or Rhythmic in their titles.

nuts4xu
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I would watch more of the Olympics if they didn't have so many foreigners.....

DC Muskie
07-31-2012, 11:04 AM
How about that Chinese swimmer doing her best East German imitation yesterday?

Kahns Krazy
07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I think Phelps is a real douchebag. Impressive dominance in his sport, but just comes across as a real prick in interviews.

coasterville95
08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
I have to disagree, I didn't see the prick angle in what Phelps said.

I thought he was actually complimentary of his relay team "You guys just build me the biggest lead you can, and I'll do the rest" Isn't that the basic strategy behind every relay race. Every time the reporter tried eto make last nights race all about Phelps, he returned to that line, as if to say "Hey, there were three other guys here who all put their all into this" If anything it was the reporter being a douche for belittling the other three. "What's it like to be a part of Phelps' 19th medal?"

That said, I can't say I agree with Phelps' whole "I'm the swimming master, I don't need to practice or train" attitude. In that regard I'm glad he had a couple bad races early on to light a fire. (And also show him that he isn't going to win on raw talent or reputation alone)

In other Olympic news - great job by the women's gymnastics team, much better showing than the men put on last night in their "Just glad to be here" level performance. Yeah, the women looked even better than they were (which was already spectacular) thanks to the total implosion and self destruction of the Russian team. (Who may or may not have practiced at UD Arena :) ) Of course we have our share of judging controversies, which are even extending into objective sports like swimming. (The race two nights ago when the starting tone sounded before the "Take your marks" announcement malfunction). Gymnastics has an interesting pay-to-challenge rule, put up a fee, if your challenge is upheld you get a refund, if not, they keep it. Makes you have something at stake to prevent gratuitious use of challenges.

I wonder how the race to get the main stadium converted from ceremonial mode to Track and field mode is coming along.

Oh, and here is a sportmanship ethics question. In Badminton of all things. The Badminton tournament is a round robin affiar, and apparently teams have figured out that if you throw a game or two in the round robin portion, you can get an easier road through the tournament. Last night this came to a brutal ugly head when BOTH teams on the court were playing to lose, and were practically booed off the floor, excpe they didn't leave the floor, so they got booed and jeered for the entire match once it became clear they were playing not to win, but to see who can lose the worst. Apparently the Olympics handed out some disqualifications for unsportmanlike conduct. Put in basketball terms - would you purposely THROW a game during the A10 regular season IF it meant an easier road through the A10 Tournament.

The true sportman says blasphemy, but Mr Machiaveli (sp) says "Keep talking to me." - he was "The ends justisy the means used to obtain them"

Sort of like the basketball analogy used to explain why the star gymnist got shut out of the all-around (2 per nation limit, which has burned other gymnists in the past, but they didn't have the expectations she did) Meaning inferior gymnists from other nations got in instead. Commentators were saying "This is like the NCAA telling <insert basketball power conference name here> they can only get two teams into March Madness as every conference gets no more than 2 entries"

BBC 08
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Almost time for my boy Clark Burckle to swim in the 200m Breast finals. Representing Louisville and the real St. X like a boss.

Kahns Krazy
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
I have to disagree, I didn't see the prick angle in what Phelps said.
"

He admitted to not finishing as strong as he could have in his individual race, then followed it up with comments about how awesome his career was gave it just a general "meh" attitude. I've also heard him use the "I wanted to be the first Michael Phelps" line more than once. I don't know how you can be any more pompous than to refer to youself in the third person with presumptive legend status.

DC Muskie
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I think Phelps is a real douchebag. Impressive dominance in his sport, but just comes across as a real prick in interviews.

Phelps is a douche. I can't find the article but there was a story about how he was picked on as a little kid because he had big ears or something. Then when he became an Olympic swimmer he was back home at McDonalds and a kid who used to pick on him went up to him to congratulate him and tell him how proud of him he was.

Phelps response was "I don't know who you are."

The kid tried to remind Phelps, but Phelps just kept saying, "I don't know you."

When they were leaving his mom was sure Phelps knew the boy, and Phelps said, "He used to pick on me and now he wants to be my friend since I'm an Olympian?"

Somehow people think the reason why Phelps is so good is because he was picked when he was younger. Phelps then grew up and became the douchebag he hated in other kids.

He is by far the best swimmer. Best Olympian of all time? Eh, to me not really. Swimming gives out about 900 medals at every Olympics.

He does get one for being the biggest douche.

PMI
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Phelps is a douche. I can't find the article but there was a story about how he was picked on as a little kid because he had big ears or something. Then when he became an Olympic swimmer he was back home at McDonalds and a kid who used to pick on him went up to him to congratulate him and tell him how proud of him he was.

Phelps response was "I don't know who you are."

The kid tried to remind Phelps, but Phelps just kept saying, "I don't know you."

When they were leaving his mom was sure Phelps knew the boy, and Phelps said, "He used to pick on me and now he wants to be my friend since I'm an Olympian?"

Somehow people think the reason why Phelps is so good is because he was picked when he was younger. Phelps then grew up and became the douchebag he hated in other kids.

He is by far the best swimmer. Best Olympian of all time? Eh, to me not really. Swimming gives out about 900 medals at every Olympics.

He does get one for being the biggest douche.

I'm not saying he isn't a prick, because I know firsthand that he is, but are you telling me you wouldn't want to make the guy who picked on you as a kid temporarily feel like a jackass? That's some good, clean vindication. I'd have done the same if I had had big ears and a shit load of gold medals. I kind of like Phelps even though he's a douche. There's something kind of badass to me about being the best ever and seeming to not really give a shit. Certainly beats the Lebron approach of thinking you're the best well before you're the best, and caring deeply about what every one of the other 6 billion people on the planet think of you. I am a Michael Phelps fan.

Kahns Krazy
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I would have more respect for Phelps if he had told the kid that he remembered exactly who he was, exactly how he had treated him and that he had no room in his life for a-holes. Ducking the kid then telling his mommy is pussy.

I have a lot more respect for Phelps' trainer.

DC Muskie
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm not saying he isn't a prick, because I know firsthand that he is, but are you telling me you wouldn't want to make the guy who picked on you as a kid temporarily feel like a jackass? That's some good, clean vindication. I'd have done the same if I had had big ears and a shit load of gold medals.

I would have more respect for Phelps if he had told the kid that he remembered exactly who he was, exactly how he had treated him and that he had no room in his life for a-holes. Ducking the kid then telling his mommy is pussy.

I have a lot more respect for Phelps' trainer.

This.

BBC 08
08-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Damn. Clark finished 6th. Still proud of him though.

waggy
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
All I know is Phelps has meth-face.

PMI
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
All I know is Phelps has meth-face.

I hear meth really speeds things up.

X-band '01
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone seen any of the tennis matches so far? The venue looks like Wimbledon on acid (not that it's a bad thing for the Olympics, but just looks strange seeing everyone decked out in their country's colors instead of the traditional white).

paulxu
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Why are all the Chinese girls in the stands, cheering their synchronized guys diving, wearing watermelon hats on their heaads?

LadyMuskie
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not saying he isn't a prick, because I know firsthand that he is, but are you telling me you wouldn't want to make the guy who picked on you as a kid temporarily feel like a jackass? That's some good, clean vindication. I'd have done the same if I had had big ears and a shit load of gold medals. I kind of like Phelps even though he's a douche. There's something kind of badass to me about being the best ever and seeming to not really give a shit. Certainly beats the Lebron approach of thinking you're the best well before you're the best, and caring deeply about what every one of the other 6 billion people on the planet think of you. I am a Michael Phelps fan.

Yep! Completely agree.

Although, I do think Phelps is a bit of a mama's boy. I don't think he really planned on coming back this year, but I think his mom wanted him to (since she talks about him competing in Rio - huge mistake!) and she nagged him into doing it. His mother and sisters get on my last nerve. God help any woman who tries to have a relationship with Michael. I can't imagine it would be worth it to have to put up with those three women.

LadyMuskie
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Why are all the Chinese girls in the stands, cheering their synchronized guys diving, wearing watermelon hats on their heaads?

Maybe they're all on the same drugs that their swimmers take. Or maybe they're test subjects for drugs to be used in the Rio games and horrible fashion choices are one of the side effects. It's China, so it's hard to tell, but you can bet that it involves some form of cheating, stealing, pirating, etc.

LadyMuskie
08-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Phelps looked like a decent enough guy congratulating LeClos on beating him and while cheering on his teammate in the 100m free. Maybe he isn't a prick, but it would be easier if he was because then there would be something about him that isn't great. Kind of like how I think Coach K is a jerk. . .

xudash
08-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Some Chinese swimmer watched Caddyshack and got carried away...........

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/13363/olympic-pool-cleared-out-due-to-floating-turd

X-band '01
08-03-2012, 06:38 PM
At least track and field will finally be on the telly tonight.

joebba
08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
The Fake Dream Team is struggling against Lithuania. 85-84 with uder 5min to go.

joebba
08-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow USA mens BB sqeaks by 99-94. Lithuania is a pretty good team, Team USA does not play very good d.

bobbiemcgee
08-04-2012, 01:21 PM
I got food in the refrigerator older than that Ledecky kid and she absolutely SMOKED the competition. Breaks Evans record? 15 yrs. old? Holy shit, between her and Missy looks like another 25-50 medals in upcoming games.

GoMuskies
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Bolt says he wants to play for Man U. That idea is interesting enough to get even me to pay attention to soccer for a bit.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/trackandfield/story/_/id/8242606/2012-london-olympics-usain-bolt-wants-manchester-united-tryout-report-says

Emp
08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Bolt says he wants to play for Man U. That idea is interesting enough to get even me to pay attention to soccer for a bit.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/trackandfield/story/_/id/8242606/2012-london-olympics-usain-bolt-wants-manchester-united-tryout-report-says

Sure he can kick a ball, but can he catch it and take a hit over the center? Bob Hayes is still the most impressive Oly gold medal winner to make a transition to "real" football. Michael Carter a distant second.

Emp
08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
You probably won't see it on NBC because Yanks didnt win, but Muzino and Centrowitz rant very well to take 2nd and 4th tonight.

Michael Johnson is really handling himself well as a primary athletics commentator for the BBC here. Guy is prepared, he knows ALL the athletes, not just the Americans and the Brits, and was quick to correct another commentator who asserted Bolt was the first to defend a 100 Oly title.

I caught a Central Line tube en route to White City for the pilgrimage to Loftus Road Stadium this morning, and huge crowds were out for the Triathon in Hyde Park. Live on BBC for the entire 2 hours, fantastic video coverage. Notwithstanding playing rock music during the 800 semis this evening, they are really putting on a terrific show.

paulxu
08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Somebody threw a ball into the beach bikini gold medal competition.
Very confusing.

joebba
08-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Anyone watch Taekwono Olympic action? How about the dorky uniform they have the refs wear: white long sleeve shirt with an awful tie, khaki pants, and really awful looking gym shoes of some kind.

ballyhoohoo
08-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Any one see this guy?552

joebba
08-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Any one see this guy?552

I double dong dare you to answer the question.

joebba
08-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Any one see this guy?552

I heard he was this dude's son:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RAzDjKBsQeM/TDN7dYwNwxI/AAAAAAAAAFs/2aHsojP4h80/s320/long-duk-dong.jpg

http://youtu.be/tktNZpUTMoQ

Cheesehead
08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I like the team handball. I actually played that once. It's a blast.

joebba
08-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Who's enjoying the first hour of non-olympic coverage of the 1st hour of the olympic broadcast this evening. Jiminy Crikey! One hour NBC! Seriously, BS.

Masterofreality
08-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Young whippersnappers should all learn and appreciate what Britian went through.

LadyMuskie
08-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Words cannot begin to describe the awfulness of NBC's Olympic coverage. Who puts a WWII documentary on an Olympics broadcast? Honestly, no one working in programming at NBC Sports or NBC in general should have a job next week. It's just so bad.

LadyMuskie
08-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Young whippersnappers should all learn and appreciate what Britian went through.

We have. The channels are called PBS, NatGeo, History, History 2, and The Military Channel. You can turn on any one of those channels any day of the week and find at least one program about WWII.

WWII documentaries have no place in an Olympics broadcast. I love history. I took a tour of WWII sites when I was in Europe because I enjoy learning about that time in history, but seriously, there's a time and place for everything. That hour long "documentary" diminished the severity and importance of WWII, and cast a pall over the remaining Olympics broadcast. Really terrible programming decision by NBC.

joebba
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
We have. The channels are called PBS, NatGeo, History, History 2, and The Military Channel. You can turn on any one of those channels any day of the week and find at least one program about WWII.

WWII documentaries have no place in an Olympics broadcast. I love history. I took a tour of WWII sites when I was in Europe because I enjoy learning about that time in history, but seriously, there's a time and place for everything. That hour long "documentary" diminished the severity and importance of WWII, and cast a pall over the remaining Olympics broadcast. Really terrible programming decision by NBC.

Totally agree. The decumentary was good, but lets turn the olympics into a potential political mess. Some might see it as a "let's bash the Germans" moment. Not in line with the olympic spirit.

Porkopolis
08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Words cannot begin to describe the awfulness of NBC's Olympic coverage.

Words can not begin to describe the awfulness of NBC in general. They've simply elevated the terrible for these Olympics.

joebba
08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Words can not begin to describe the awfulness of NBC in general. They've simply elevated the terrible for these Olympics.

Sir Charles agrees!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmEvMSyMJmvxvhcWnm-yA47h5_-K0Jb4n8EATKHGEG7KorTt4X

Masterofreality
08-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Problem is that the young whippersnappers don't watch those channels.

Check the ratings. The people the watch History and NatGeo skew to be, like 50 plus years old.

A 50 year old was born in 1962- a long time after the war was over.

paulxu
08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
NBC violates rule #1.

MOR is trying.

joebba
08-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Check the ratings. The people the watch History and NatGeo skew to be, like 50 plus years old.

Maybe, but with that logic we might as well say NBC should breadcast a one hour broadcast of algebra lessons since the average young whippersnapper today is not learning math and science,

BTW, I happen to be fascinated with WWII histroy, and have watched many upon many WWII dcoumentaries over the past 20-25 years. I am a few years under 50.

BTW also, I am not trying to flame, just making a point.

LadyMuskie
08-11-2012, 08:45 PM

That might be, although, we have a lot of friends our age who watch those channels (and we're 33) so ratings don't tell the whole story. Although, I don't believe 50 to be as old as it once was now that I'm inching closer to it. ;)

Regardless, no one tunes into the Olympics to see a WWII documentary. I would have rather seen a doc on the Berlin games in 36 with Owens' dominance or an equivalent that makes sense since it's a sports broadcast. WWII was the pivotal event of the 20th century (IMO), but to emphasize the differences that pulled the world apart during a two week period of bringing the world together in the name of sports is an epic fail on the part of NBC.

LadyMuskie
08-11-2012, 08:47 PM

This is true. Except for Thursday night, we don't watch anything on NBC. Although, I'll admit to being intrigued by Revolution.

DC Muskie
08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I loved the documentary. One hour on the last Saturday of two weeks of coverage and people want to complain?

I think the bitching about NBC's coverage has been worse then the coverage itself.

What exactly would you do differently? To me, it's like some cool kid wrote #NBCfail on twitter and now everyone is trying to be cool.

LadyMuskie
08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, I don't twitter, so I'm already too uncool for NBCFail.

As to what I would do differently, here it is:

1. NEVER hire Ryan Seacrest to do idiot interviews and moronic twitter updates. I do not understand Seacrest's appeal to people. My eye twitches at the mention of his name. He lessens the grandeur of the Olympics. He lessens the grandeur of everything. He's awful.

2. Include more sports during the primetime broadcasts than just swimming, track, gymnastics, diving and beach volleyball. There are a lot of great sports in the Olympics that could have been shown in primetime instead of having to watch 12 quarterfinal and semifinal races in swimming and track. I love swimming, but I didn't need to see Lochte and Phelps race 20 times a day without getting a medal because all the races were preliminaries. Meanwhile, I'm searching the other channels looking for the rowing, archery, white water slalom, etc. And I love beach volleyball. It's fun to play and watch. But, do we really need hours of it each night? Probably not. I get that boys love T&A, but how desperate are you if you're looking to beach volleyball for your jollies?

3. Save the documentaries for Dateline and Rock Center. Did we really need to hear Kerri Strugg recap the 1996 vault seen round the world? No. It wasn't interesting. Nothing new was revealed. Anyone old enough to remember those games will never forget the image of Bela Karolyi carrying Strugg up on the podium. How could we? It's been burned into our brains forever! And a WWII documentary that pales in comparison to anything I've seen or read (and I've seen and read a lot) on WWII? Really? Why? Because the Germans bombed the crap out of London and London is where the Olympics are located this year? Way to go German athletes! Your grandparents and great-grandparents were a**holes! Glad we kicked your butt in the medal count. Ha ha! Sportsmanship! America Rules! Hilter Drools!

4. FIRE Tim Daggett and Elfie Shlagel doing the gymnastics announcing. They are the worst announcers in the history of sport. They talked incessantly, and 9 times out of 10, they were wrong when they were declaring the score one of the gymnasts would get, or that this gymnast would "without a doubt" win the medal.

5. Make damn sure that you don't promote an interview with a gold medal winning athlete before the network has shown the race with said athlete where she wins said gold medal. What the hell was that? At times NBC has made the early days of Fox look like it was run by Mensa members.

6. I wouldn't get my panties in such a bunch over criticisms that my Olympic partner, Twitter, suspends a journalist for voicing those criticisms. Rise above. Acknolwedge the criticism. People would be more forgiving if it appeared that NBC was trying to improve instead of digging in their heels.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more.

joebba
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey NBC, how many minutes of olympics did you broadcast in the first hour tonight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

DC Muskie
08-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Lady just to be clear....

Your Olympics would feature sports nobody would watch and you want to air them in prime time. Did you know these are the most watched non US hosted Olympics since 1976? More people have watched these Olympics then in 2008. You want to remove Michael Phelps and replace him with rowing was it? Rowing. Over swimming. In America. Where millions of kids swim. Interesting.

You wouldn't air any footage that isn't current because we've seen it already. Don't bring up 1996 because everyone has seen it before, nothing more to talk about. More archery please! And yes it's an interesting story that the area where the 2012 Olympics are being held was once bombed in the past world war. The Olympics are a world event in case you forgot. There are people still alive that NBC featured that provided some interesting background stories and context to where the games were held. They did this on a Saturday. The least watched night of the week.

Twitter has become a great place to bitch. People saw one promo of a race that had been over for about 5 hours and was about to be shown on delay in about 2 minutes. It's 2012. It happens. What also happens in the twitter world are assholes who publish private emails of people and then tell people to email them because they can't watch more archery. If you are going to act like a child, I'm perfectly fine with treating you like one. No twitter for you Guy Adams. Off to bed with no dinner and think about what you have done.

As for Ryan Seacrest, what do you expect? He's biggest person in media now that Oprah retired. He's everywhere...on TV, on radio. People love him and he does interviews with Kobe Bryant that show off Kobe. Big deal. The guy doesn't bother me as much as Ann Curry interviewing London's Olympic director like he was Elizabeth Smart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Smart) or something.

NBC has not been perfect. what they did to the Opening Ceremony was really stupid. But they seem to be doing things well enough for people to watch, sprinkling in stories that aren't out of left field and giving us all the volleyball beach or not that we can handle.

I'm sorry Lady, but what you propose no one but you would watch the Olympics.

Masterofreality
08-11-2012, 10:20 PM
My biggest problem with the coverage is the way that the editing sucked the life out of field events like the high jump, long jump and pole vault. Those are the events that I look forward to seeing in their entirety every four years and the drama builds when the event progresses.

NBC just covered them horrifically.

Masterofreality
08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Oh, and for returning that ridiculously bad "Spandau Ballet" commercial to the airwaves after I thought it was gone after the NCAA's, I vow that I will never, evvvvvvvver, buy a Chevrolet again.

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

joebba
08-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Oh, and for returning that ridiculously bad "Spandau Ballet" commercial to the airwaves after I thought it was gone after the NCAA's, I vow that I will never, evvvvvvvver, buy a Chevrolet again.

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Absolutely. The return of that commercial pissed me off greatly.

I don't think I want to buy any GM product until GM is not patyly owned by thr Government (er the tax payers).

GuyFawkes38
08-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure who deserves the credit. But it's amazing how USA basketball has turned around in the past 12 years.

This was the lineup in the 2000 Olympics in Australia: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Allan Houston, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Vin Baker, Antonio McDyess, Vince Carter, Alonzo Mourning, Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton, Tim Hardaway, Steve Smith.

Some big names are missing. A very meh team.

Now every American star in the league was on this years team with the exception of Howard.

nuts4xu
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Now every American star in the league was on this years team with the exception of Howard.

...and Derrick Rose, former league MVP. This team would have been even better with both of those 2, and as their performance showed, the US didn't need those guys to grab the gold. This year's US Olympic team has some youngish players, and I hope they can stick together for at least one more Olympics.

Guys like Kobe, JB James, Mello, Durant, Westbrook, and Chris Paul are fun to watch. You add Rose and Howard to this team, they could have rewritten the record books.

Emp
08-12-2012, 01:11 PM
While we are ranting: I dont have a Visa card, and I never will now. I dont like, but understand, tickets only available through Visa. But no purchases at ANY Oly venue (this includes food) unless you use cash or a Visa? WTF. Plenty of pissed of Brits and tourists inside Oly Village and at other venues.

The Visa solution? Issue you a "gift card" good only for the venue by charging your non-Visa card. Of course it was impossible to spend the whole card. And of course you had to in effect do all the vital info and stand in a long line.

One thing I did like: you could bring your own food! Anything. I took fruit and it was a real boost in the long T&F sessions.

Im with MOR on the jumps and throws.......20 seconds of highlights for the women's pole vault?? It was a very dramatic, down to the last jump for the GM. Fortunately I was there that night, but worldwide plenty of fans who want to watch the individual events unfold.

The BBC ran EVERYTHING, on extra channels, live. If you wanted to see rowing heats or kayak heats, you could go to a menu, and there was no surcharge. What I dont get is why the "small" US sports dont just get sponsors to offer to pay for the time.

The sailing coverage was really quite remarkable.....blimps, on boat cams, and strategic analysis, overlays of who had the leading line and the right of way......I sail only occasionally, have friends who race lasers, but still thought the coverage was great.

XU Sailing/Oly Trivia: the official scorer for Xavier since the 60s, Tom Grogan, was invited to the 80s sailing trials, and still whips the youngsters in summer sailing series in Michigan.

LadyMuskie
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Lady just to be clear....

Your Olympics would feature sports nobody would watch and you want to air them in prime time. Did you know these are the most watched non US hosted Olympics since 1976? More people have watched these Olympics then in 2008. You want to remove Michael Phelps and replace him with rowing was it? Rowing. Over swimming. In America. Where millions of kids swim. Interesting.

You wouldn't air any footage that isn't current because we've seen it already. Don't bring up 1996 because everyone has seen it before, nothing more to talk about. More archery please! And yes it's an interesting story that the area where the 2012 Olympics are being held was once bombed in the past world war. The Olympics are a world event in case you forgot. There are people still alive that NBC featured that provided some interesting background stories and context to where the games were held. They did this on a Saturday. The least watched night of the week.

Twitter has become a great place to bitch. People saw one promo of a race that had been over for about 5 hours and was about to be shown on delay in about 2 minutes. It's 2012. It happens. What also happens in the twitter world are assholes who publish private emails of people and then tell people to email them because they can't watch more archery. If you are going to act like a child, I'm perfectly fine with treating you like one. No twitter for you Guy Adams. Off to bed with no dinner and think about what you have done.

As for Ryan Seacrest, what do you expect? He's biggest person in media now that Oprah retired. He's everywhere...on TV, on radio. People love him and he does interviews with Kobe Bryant that show off Kobe. Big deal. The guy doesn't bother me as much as Ann Curry interviewing London's Olympic director like he was Elizabeth Smart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Smart) or something.

NBC has not been perfect. what they did to the Opening Ceremony was really stupid. But they seem to be doing things well enough for people to watch, sprinkling in stories that aren't out of left field and giving us all the volleyball beach or not that we can handle.

I'm sorry Lady, but what you propose no one but you would watch the Olympics.

First of all, according to deadline.com, the first 14 days of the London games were watched by 210.5 million people and in the same time period 215 million people watched the Beijing games. So, London will get the silver medal in terms of that. So, somewhere along the line, despite all the extra channels, NBC lost 5 million viewers. Maybe it was just all of us who were bitching about it on Twitter. Oh wait, that's right, not everyone twitters.

Second, I don't know anyone, literally, who was happy or excited to watch the WWII documentary. We all tuned in to see sports and were treated to a third-rate documentary by Tom Brokaw who can't seem to actually retire and go quietly into the night. My great uncle, a WWII vet was watching at my parents' house too and his exact words were "What the hell is this? Are we still fighting this war? Nothing like taking the world's worst war and dumbing it down to a one hour time filler." This coming from a man who still, at 90, travels all over the country for reunions with his fellow soldiers. The radio this morning was talking about the stupidity of placing a war documentary on at 8pm when kids would be sitting down with their parents to watch sports. Nothing like having to explain to your almost 4 year old why we're seeing dead people laying in the street, surrounded by crumbling buildings instead of Usain Bolt running down the track. But, hey, maybe those were dead Londoners, so it was okay.

You ask me if I've forgotten that this is a world competition. I ask, have you? The Germans and the Japanese who were obviously not portrayed in the best way in Brokaw's "documentary" are part of the Olympics too. We didn't wipe them all out. I guess their feelings don't matter. Never mind that the current generations have nothing to do with what happened, it's totally appropriate to show a WWII documentary and vilify German and Japanese people because, you know, London got bombed and apparently the only person worth talking about from England is Winston Churchill who's been dead for a few years now. Wow! Everybody's coming together now. I can't wait until the Sochi winter games in two years. I'm guessing NBC is putting together some documentaries about the Gulag, the on-going disaster that is Chernobyl, or the incredibly high rates of alcoholism and violent crime in Russia. I could do one about how dangerous the Russian Mafia is that I know people who can't disclose their co-worker's names or where they work because they're trying to bring down the Russian mob. How wonderful for all of us (especially those of us with children) to tune in to watch some good sporting events and get to see these half-assed documentaries instead!

Other documentaries we might see before the Closing Ceremonies tonight:
"Get Out Puritans: How the We Kicked Out the Puritans Who Subsequently Sailed to America and Began systematically Wiping Out the Native Population"!

"Dickens Was Wrong: London's Filth, Lack of a Sturdy Middle Class and Child Labor Problems Weren't That Bad".

"Who Owns the Falklands? F Off Argentina! We Know Who Really Won."

"Why We Had to Imprison That Pain in the Arse Ghandi. Indian Sovereignty! Ha! Oh. Wait . . . "

"While It Is True That We Wanted You to Feel Bad for Us During Our WWII Documentary, Please Don't Look Too Closely at How We Treated The Rest of the World for 400 Years While We Were Colonizing Everyone and Everywhere." (I don't know. That title might be too long.)

Third, I don't mind talking about the past, but do we need hour and half hour long "specials" about it, when that time could be used to show sporting events? It's not like there was a dearth of sports to show. No. NBC wanted to appear artsy and deep so they interviewed Kerri Strugg for the 9 millionth time.

Fourth, I love to watch Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte and Rebecca Soni. Who doesn't? But did we really need to see them swim each race two or three times before getting to the medal round? It doesn't really matter whether or not Phelps, or anyone else, wins his heat. We still could have seen the medal races and been able to see some other sports that don't get as much play. If no one would watch any of the other sports, then why show highlights during primetime? Why show the women winning the rowing competition, judo, boxing, etc.

I also love that you think people are sheep for being on Twitter, but NBC isn't the big sheep by hiring the next big media guy since Oprah retired. Screw all you bastards on Twitter for being whiny sheep, but way to go NBC to hire the popular guy to do idiot spots on other popular people! Wow! I'm so glad that I now know Michael Phelps' mom's view on Michael's dating life. I was bored with just watching him dominate the swimming world. Now I know how she and her daughters feel about Michael going on dates. Hooray!

And when it comes to the idiot move to promo Franklin's win before they showed she had won, I'll just say that not everyone in the world is on social media and some of us were able to keep from hearing and/or seeing spoilers before they happened. People were rightfully upset, particularly when you consider that NBC execs were telling people to stop whining about the delay. I had no problem with the tape delay, but don't screw people over by tape delaying and then also ruining what you've delayed. It's called common sense. How many stupid people did that commercial go through and no one said - "Oh. Wait. We haven't shown that race yet."

I love the Olympics and I'll watch regardless because I just like the sports, etc. But, that doesn't mean that I think NBC is doing a great job. As one reporter said on the radio, NBC desperately needed the Olympics because the rest of their lineup ranges from bad to pitiful. Even the once mighty Today show is faltering because NBC just makes one bad move after another. I don't think we can blame all of these problems on complainers on Twitter. Sometimes, NBC sucks whether Twitterers say so or not.

DC Muskie
08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I think you need to go back and reread deadline.com. The second story has this in its body:

(The London)Games has had over the past 16 nights has made it the most watched non-U.S. Summer Games since Montreal in 1976.

Where I have read that before? Oh right, from me!

And just so I have it correct, no one outside your family is happy there was a WWII documentary? And why are you ragging on Tom Brokaw? Who hates Tom Brokaw? Do you beat puppies too?

Also, what 4 year old is up at 8 pm on a Saturday? NBC doesn't really cater their programming at that time to the desires of a 4 year old.

The documentary featured never seen before footage and received great reviews (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443792604577573123439693602.html).

They still won the ratings race, which is the business that they are in.

But man, who knew an hour long documentary would piss you off so much. It was well done, only an hour and then you got to see some sports. Did you really need to bring up every other conceivable world topic? East London was bombed, now it hosts the Olympics. Sorry 4 year olds!

Again, maybe someone on the radio could have explained NBC is going to put out events and interviews that are going to bring in viewers. Like Ryan Seacrest. Like Kerri Strug. If you were in charge, people would be bitching about not seeing enough actual Michael Phelps let alone his mother. They are not going to take off Phelps so they can introduce a new sport that NO ONE knows about.

Did I read this correctly?

As one reporter said on the radio, NBC desperately needed the Olympics because the rest of their lineup ranges from bad to pitiful.

This genius thinks NBC needed the Olympics desperately? No shit Sherlock! Fox and ABC wanted it desperately too. What other reason do you think these networks purchase this event? Did the reporter also tell you that networks really want viewers who are 18-49? Because they buy things?

I'm not placing the blame on people on Twitter. I'm bitching about the people who are bitching and it seems to snowball.

I haven't had a huge problem with the coverage and I've watched every night since I dropped cable.

DC Muskie
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
While we are ranting: I dont have a Visa card, and I never will now. I dont like, but understand, tickets only available through Visa. But no purchases at ANY Oly venue (this includes food) unless you use cash or a Visa? WTF. Plenty of pissed of Brits and tourists inside Oly Village and at other venues.

The Visa solution? Issue you a "gift card" good only for the venue by charging your non-Visa card. Of course it was impossible to spend the whole card. And of course you had to in effect do all the vital info and stand in a long line.

They did the same thing with McDonalds. The only "chips" allowed to Olympic workers.

Nothing amateur about these games at all.

The BBC ran EVERYTHING, on extra channels, live. If you wanted to see rowing heats or kayak heats, you could go to a menu, and there was no surcharge. What I dont get is why the "small" US sports dont just get sponsors to offer to pay for the time.

The BBC is very much different than NBC. NBC paid 4 billion for the next 20 Olympics or something like that. The BBC had to pay only $100 million. There is no need for additional revenue generating opportunities.

Kahns Krazy
08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I watched about 43 seconds of closing ceremonies. I don't ever need to watch TV coverage of people recording something on their own phone.

LadyMuskie
08-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I think you need to go back and reread deadline.com. The second story has this in its body:

(The London)Games has had over the past 16 nights has made it the most watched non-U.S. Summer Games since Montreal in 1976.

Where I have read that before? Oh right, from me!

And just so I have it correct, no one outside your family is happy there was a WWII documentary? And why are you ragging on Tom Brokaw? Who hates Tom Brokaw? Do you beat puppies too?

Also, what 4 year old is up at 8 pm on a Saturday? NBC doesn't really cater their programming at that time to the desires of a 4 year old.

The documentary featured never seen before footage and received great reviews (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443792604577573123439693602.html).

They still won the ratings race, which is the business that they are in.

But man, who knew an hour long documentary would piss you off so much. It was well done, only an hour and then you got to see some sports. Did you really need to bring up every other conceivable world topic? East London was bombed, now it hosts the Olympics. Sorry 4 year olds!

Again, maybe someone on the radio could have explained NBC is going to put out events and interviews that are going to bring in viewers. Like Ryan Seacrest. Like Kerri Strug. If you were in charge, people would be bitching about not seeing enough actual Michael Phelps let alone his mother. They are not going to take off Phelps so they can introduce a new sport that NO ONE knows about.

Did I read this correctly?

As one reporter said on the radio, NBC desperately needed the Olympics because the rest of their lineup ranges from bad to pitiful.

This genius thinks NBC needed the Olympics desperately? No shit Sherlock! Fox and ABC wanted it desperately too. What other reason do you think these networks purchase this event? Did the reporter also tell you that networks really want viewers who are 18-49? Because they buy things?

I'm not placing the blame on people on Twitter. I'm bitching about the people who are bitching and it seems to snowball.

I haven't had a huge problem with the coverage and I've watched every night since I dropped cable.

Honestly, I'm so tired from getting ready for a loved one's funeral and wake that I'm not going to keep going back and forth. I'm glad you enjoyed the coverage. I don't know anyone else who seems to have loved it as much as you, so I'm happy for you. As for kids staying up past 8, when you have kids, we'll talk about child rearing habits. I remember when I was not yet a parent and thought I knew it all too. Good times! Don't call child services, but my daughter was at her friend's house playing tonight until 8pm and by the time she got her bath, etc. she wasn't in bed until 9 (GASP!) and we have to get up early tomorrow morning and she'll be up past 8 again tomorrow night since the visitation doesn't even end until 8. I guess since her cousins will be there too, I won't be in trouble all by myself. :p

Peace out!

gladdenguy
08-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Thank gosh the Olympics are over. My wife is an addict. After swimming is over, the Olympics are over for me.

Lady, correct me if I'm wrong but if you wanted to watch all those terribly boring sports they didn't show on NBC, couldn't you have changed your channel to one of the other 5 Olympic stations they had and watched Judo or some other terrible sport?

I think NBC did a fine job showing the exciting sports and swimming is easily the best sport in the Olympics. I don't know how you can complain about the amount of heats shown.

Nonetheless, they are over and we can forget about them until Rio in 2016.

wkrq59
08-13-2012, 02:04 AM
At least we didn't see ad nauseam the athlete running, jumping, swinning in dressage, or diving or some other sport for the great, great, great uncle of his next door neighbor who suffered from beri beri at a young age or the great nephew who was eaten by a pack of wolves after he was left in a watermelon patch in Dayton where his great grandfather worked in the truck plant now dead. No we didn't need a damned documentary and could have used less coverage of the swimming prelims or any of the prelims unless a heavily favored contestant was eliminated and then that could have been updated in tape and highlighted as import demanded. I still enjoy watching the women's soccer matches and the semifinal game that USA should probably have lost, but that's sport. So is the USA men's basketball drubbings and even the closer than necessary gold medal game thanks to A10 reffing and hey, where was John Cahill? I did enjoy that 83-point win because I didn't think it was possible for anyone to make that many threes. I saw one made where the shooter looked at Krzyzewski as if to say "I didn't think I could make it." Hell, the USA stopped running plays and just took the ball down and shot it or drove in for uncontested layups. They wanted to get the damned game over with. Overall I enjoyed the gymnastics, the swimming, the rowing (what little we saw of it) and the equestrian grand prix show jumping as well as the hoops, the soccer and what little there was of Serena Williams wiping up the earth with everyone. :):p:D

nuts4xu
08-13-2012, 08:10 AM
I watched about 43 seconds of closing ceremonies. I don't ever need to watch TV coverage of people recording something on their own phone.

this.

In a word, the closing cermonies were "GAY".

My gay friends were talking about how gay they were.

bleedXblue
08-13-2012, 08:35 AM
In all seriousness, are the closing ceremonies even needed? Take the MILLIONS of dollars spent and donate it all to starving children all over the world and do some good with it.

DC Muskie
08-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Honestly, I'm so tired from getting ready for a loved one's funeral and wake that I'm not going to keep going back and forth. I'm glad you enjoyed the coverage. I don't know anyone else who seems to have loved it as much as you, so I'm happy for you. As for kids staying up past 8, when you have kids, we'll talk about child rearing habits. I remember when I was not yet a parent and thought I knew it all too. Good times! Don't call child services, but my daughter was at her friend's house playing tonight until 8pm and by the time she got her bath, etc. she wasn't in bed until 9 (GASP!) and we have to get up early tomorrow morning and she'll be up past 8 again tomorrow night since the visitation doesn't even end until 8. I guess since her cousins will be there too, I won't be in trouble all by myself. :p

Peace out!

I never said I loved it, I said i didn't have a huge problem with the coverage. Millions of others seem to agree with me.

I have plenty of friends and family members with kids. Kids are not some foreign concept to adults who don't have their own. It's also not a foreign concept that network TV might not have 4 year olds in mind when doing their programming. If you somehow took that to mean I thought you are a terrible parent, I apologize for that wasn't my intent.

Also my condolences on the lost of your loved one.

xu95
08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Visa payed a shitload (yes that is a technical term) for that right. If I was them I would be upset if you could use another brands card.

coasterville95
08-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Who would have thought an event meant to bring the world together would cause such a riff on our own little message board.

For the record:
WWII Documentary: There is a time and a place for everything. The prime 8pm slot on Saturday night of the Olympics was NOT that time and place. Not to say it wasn't a bad documentary, and not to say the subject matter isn't important. And yes, it was interesting to get the British twist on the event Just not at that time. Yes, I watched it, thinking it would be one of their 5-10 minute fluff pieces. I'm guessing they didn't mention it would be an hour long at the risk of losing the viewership for that hour. This would be like, right before our first ever Elite Eight game vs. Duke at the Georgia Dome - they told you the game was at 8pm, but then it really started at 9pm so they could do a 1 hour civil war documentary and how it affected Georgia (what with Sherman's March and all that)

NBC Coverage in general: I think its become "cool" to hate on the NBC coverage. Maybe the point is valid for those that just watched the main NBC channel. But between the alternate networks and the internet on demand video feeds, there was a lot of content available. Even more if you ventured into places like front row sports. The model of all-event whip around coverage may have been valid 20 years ago (and i think even then they had some sort of box you could buy/rent with red, white and blue channels) but now with what 3-5 differnet cable channels and the internet on demand services, the content is there for those that seek. I thought it had been understood the main NBC channel gets the marquee sports, that meant Gymnastics and Swimming on week 1, and Track/Field and Diving on week 2. Plenty of other whip around coverage as well, as the main channel had at times cycling, BMX, volleyball (both beach and arena), basketball, water polo, wrestling, trampoline, rythmic gymnastics, rowing and soccer. And in the news blurbs you could see brief snippets of fencing, weightlifting, judo, table tennis. The 5 hour time difference made tape delay the most practical solution. Nothing new here either, you have had to turn to the alternate to get Curling or hockey in the winter games, or basketball and soccer in the summer games, the last few go arounds.

It also gets critiziced for showing only those events involving Team USA. Well, did you see the size of Team USA, and every one of those fine athletes has family, friends, supporters, and their own DVR trying to see THEIR athlete on TV. That takes time to try to cover as many of them as practical. I think they could show more of them if they didn't have to spend 5 minutes on each one trying to tell us why we should be emotionally invested in them. It was fine when it was one or two atheletes per games that had some sort of special cirumstance, but now it seems like they dig up "the sob story" for each one.

So if VISA is the official credit card (and hence the only credit card accepted), then since McDonalds is the official restaurant, does that mean their food is the only food available in the Olympic villiage? Man, what a depressing thought.

XULucho27
08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
NBC Coverage in general: I think its become "cool" to hate on the NBC coverage.

While it's true that the complaining got a bit annoying, it certainly wasn't unfounded. In my case, the streaming through NBCOlympics.com was not an option. The feed was choppy, it buffered often, and was basically unwatchable. This would then preclude my viewing of the "prime time" events unless I waited for the evening's telecast. I despise watching the tape delayed versions because by then I've a) found out who won, through no fault of my own (hey, NBC, if you're going to refrain from showing me events live and then leaving me no other method in which to view them, do me a favor and don't send me a text alert from your news division telling me who won the fuç&*$# race!!) and b) have lost interest because I know the aforementioned results.

Maybe the point is valid for those that just watched the main NBC channel. But between the alternate networks and the internet on demand video feeds, there was a lot of content available. Even more if you ventured into places like front row sports. The model of all-event whip around coverage may have been valid 20 years ago (and i think even then they had some sort of box you could buy/rent with red, white and blue channels) but now with what 3-5 differnet cable channels and the internet on demand services, the content is there for those that seek.

I do agree that the alternate channels did provide adequate coverage of some of the less popular sports, which is the main reason I watch the olympics (that and soccer). Ultimately, I found two very good streams of both BBC1 and BBC2. I have to say that the BBC's coverage was infinitely better. They would consistently move around different sports, showed most of the gold medal matches or competitions, regardless of whether a GB athlete was involved, and kept the annoying profiles of athletes and their stories (Really? Phelps had a hangnail when he was 12? What an inspiring story!) to a minimum. Additionally, the BBC's commercial breaks were not nearly as frequent as those NBC had (I get that they spent a truckload of money to get the games, but it was still ridiculous) and they showed events in their entirety; my biggest problem with NBC prime time coverage.

We also watched the closing ceremonies on the BBC. I have to say that was also exponentially better. The BBC announcers respected the performances instead of trying to talk over them like Lauer and Vieria. I admit that these interjections by the NBC crew would be ok if consisted of insightful commentary but often it's just plain obnoxious (http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/07/28/nbc_olympics_coverage_meredith_vieira_think_it_s_c ool_to_be_ignorant_.html). Occasionally, the BBC crew would chime in, however it was done very infrequently. Contrast that to Lauer and Vieira's constant blathering during the opening and it wasn't even close.

Ultimately, I agree with you that NBC did do a lot of things right with the olympics. Nonetheless, all you have to do is watch one of several other international channels for an example of how to do it better.

BBC 08
08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm glad me and my team provided you excellent coverage, Lucho.

GuyFawkes38
08-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Ultimately, I agree with you that NBC did do a lot of things right with the olympics. Nonetheless, all you have to do is watch one of several other international channels for an example of how to do it better.

Off topic, but sometimes I think the BBC gives Americans the incorrect view that government owned/funded networks are awesome. The BBC is awesome, but it's an outlier. Every other nationally owned tv network is awful (including the CBC).

Emp
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Who would have thought an event meant to bring the world together would cause such a riff on our own little message board.

So if VISA is the official credit card (and hence the only credit card accepted), then since McDonalds is the official restaurant, does that mean their food is the only food available in the Olympic villiage? Man, what a depressing thought.

McD was the fastfood sponsor, and had several huge, free standing restaurants.

There was other food available for spectators, including some very good fish'n'chips, three choices of Indian food (the one with the dot in the forehead, not the feather), a "beef roll" (this was also a featured food at the Galway Races, seems to be very popular), sandwiches, pita rolls. Alas no bangers!

So Visa pays a Shitload Squared, and cops all of the millions in ticket sales, publicity, etc. The same was true at the US T&F trials in Oregon, but you could still purchase food and souvenirs with other cards. There is something more than vaguely coercive about requiring someone who has paid for a ticket at a venue paid for by tax dollars to be required to use only "currency" issued by Visa, credit or otherwise. I can't access my own account with my own ATM card after Ive been in effect locked into the venue(you could NOT leave and return)?

Imagine VISA becomes the only card you can use at a Xavier home game.....or say Xavier University. Or the Great American Ballpark, PB Stadium. So you pay sales tax forever for these facilities and have to use a required credit card??

Next, VISA, the official credit card of Hamilton County and the State of Ohio.

bobbiemcgee
08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Imagine VISA becomes the only card you can use at a Xavier home game.....or say Xavier Next, VISA, the official credit card of Hamilton County and the State of Ohio.

Actually, you cannot use Visa for anything having to do with the State Gov't of Florida. So guess this is coming all over.

GoMuskies
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Glad I missed the WWII documentary. Sounds stupid and misplaced.

I saw a few minutes of the closing ceremonies. Looked like there were about 28 people in the stands. Was there a UC non-conference basketball game scheduled afterwards?

Kahns Krazy
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
McD was the fastfood sponsor, and had several huge, free standing restaurants.

There was other food available for spectators, including some very good fish'n'chips, three choices of Indian food (the one with the dot in the forehead, not the feather), a "beef roll" (this was also a featured food at the Galway Races, seems to be very popular), sandwiches, pita rolls. Alas no bangers!

So Visa pays a Shitload Squared, and cops all of the millions in ticket sales, publicity, etc. The same was true at the US T&F trials in Oregon, but you could still purchase food and souvenirs with other cards. There is something more than vaguely coercive about requiring someone who has paid for a ticket at a venue paid for by tax dollars to be required to use only "currency" issued by Visa, credit or otherwise. I can't access my own account with my own ATM card after Ive been in effect locked into the venue(you could NOT leave and return)?

Imagine VISA becomes the only card you can use at a Xavier home game.....or say Xavier University. Or the Great American Ballpark, PB Stadium. So you pay sales tax forever for these facilities and have to use a required credit card??

Next, VISA, the official credit card of Hamilton County and the State of Ohio.

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/ali2.jpg

American X
08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I thought the XXX Olympics would be much more arousing.