PDA

View Full Version : Question for any web designers

STL_XUfan
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I am looking for a little advice from anyone out there that does any web designing.

As a side project, I am creating a few websites for some small businesses around my area. I am admittedly a novice, in that I don't know more advanced features of web design (I pretty much do everything with HTML and CSS and have very little experience with using .php or other database systems).

My problem:

1. The websites will be fairly straight forward with static content (Home, About, Services)
2. My clients know absolutely nothing about web design
3. I would like for them to be able to edit only the text areas of the website without having to contact me for each change.
4. I don't want them to be able to "blow up" the page or have access to other design elements of the site.

What I have looked into so far:

I have looked into varying Content Management Systems (CMS) and most seem either too expensive for the limited use of my clients or give too much control to the client. My research so far has pointed me towards Wordpress. Apparently it can be modified to accomplish this but takes some work (which I may or may not be able to figure out after a few hours of working with it).

My question:

Does anyone know of a CMS (or any thing else) that will accomplish what I have suggested?

smileyy
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Someone who does is familiar with this sort of thing suggested WordPress when a group I'm in was looking for a low-maintenance easy-to-use CMS system.

I think #4 could probably be as simple as "No, really, don't push those buttons, and I'm not responsible if you do."

xeus
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Wordpress is your best solution. It's open source and fairly easy to use. Building from the ground up in php would be ideal, but probably too complicated for what you've described.

blueblob06
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I've built websites using Yola and Weebly and both those programs are straightforward and easy to use (I have zero background in web design, etc). I do not know though if in those there is a way to restrict areas from editing by users.

blobfan
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Good luck StL XUfan. I have little experience beyond html but know people who have done more complicated web projects and it seems the hard part isn't so much desining it but coming up with something that works across multiple platforms and multiple versions of IE.

Smooth
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Just don't have Text Enhance on it. That shit is way more annoying than those flashing "you're a winner" ads.