PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Indy Jun 28-30, where to eat, where to stay, what to do...?

principal
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
My wife and I are going to be in Indianapolis from June 28th - 30th. We are just getting away for the weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? We will consider "nice" hotels, botique hotels, whatever. We would most likely stay downtown, unless there are other suggestions.

Where should we stay?

Where should we eat?

What can we do?

I want the trip to be mellow but I don't want to be bored, running around, chasing down every tourist attraction in the city. We like movies and music, in our late 30s so nothing too wild and nothing too tame. A decent Indie band would be great to see, but not punk/metal/etc. Live jazz would be fine (but we hate smokey bars, LOL) or a chamber orchestra (we like baroque more than anything and would prefer to avoid the full symphony, assuming there is one). A chamber orchestra does not have to be the cities finest, it can be in a smaller venue, even a restaurant (but I don't want to be in an uptight/overly elite restaurant atmosphere).

We both like unique restaurants over chains. Being outdoors is ok as long as it is not too hot. Cultural events (ethnic festivals, for example) would be fun, but probably not an art museum (unless it was interactive or somehow interesting/unique - maybe modern art).

We like movies - an art film theater would be cool (like the Esquire or Mariemont theaters, for example), or something showing older movies (regardless of the era, 40s, 60s, 80s, whatever).

I am open to considering whatever else you might come up with, I'm just throwing ideas out there to give you an idea of what we might like.

If anyone is familiar with Indy, please make suggestions.

KC4X
06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
For a casual lunch, you may want to try Shapiro's Deli. I think there are 2 locations; one of them is downtown (on Meridian) and another near Butler University. We stop there on the way home from Chicago sometimes to pick up some bread and cold cuts.

Muskied
06-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I've heard the Gym where Butler plays basketball is fairly historic. Bring your own water, and a watch if you are on a schedule.

bigdiggins
06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I've heard Brad's Brass Flamingo is a good night spot.

kmcrawfo
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Where should we stay?
The Conrad and JW marriott downtown are nice

Where should we eat?
I like St. Elmos if you are a steak lover
Eddie Merlot's is a chain, but one of my favorites (it is up North)
Canal Bistro is broad ripple is smaller greek restaurant I am a fan of

What can we do?
Broad Ripple has shops/bands/clubs/restaurants
Art Museum
A couple nice Martini bars are downtown if you want some more chill music/place to hang out.
If you like shopping, the keystone fashion mall/Northeast side of town has the nicest places. Also some nice, ritzy restaurants on that part of town.
Children's Museum (seriously) is pretty darn cool. Supposed to be the nicest in the country.
Race Track (Indy 500)

xu95
06-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Bub's in Carmel. Eat a pound burger and get your picture on the wall.

drudy23
06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Well, me and my son went up there for a Pacer's game and stayed in the Hampton Inn Downtown. They had free wi-fi, free breakfast, and the cheapest parking, and was right across the street from the arena. Plus...wait for it....we ate at BW3's. After the game, we got ice cream. Good enough for us westsiders.

For what's it worth, the Raptors, who were playing the Pacers that night, stayed at the Conrad.

danaandvictory
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Two restaurant recommendations:

Bazbeaux (www.bazbeaux.com) is a phenomenal "gourmet" pizza place in a cool bar district just outside the circle - should be an easy drive if you stay over toward the capitol and they have all kinds of microbrews, etc. available.

Maxine's Chicken & Waffles (www.maxineschicken.com) is a pretty damned authentic Southern-style soul food place (it's in an old gas station, which should tell you all you need to know) a few blocks east of downtown. The crowd when we went (for breakfast/brunch on a Saturday) was an interesting mix of hungover college kids and regulars and it was bar none the best fried chicken I've had in the Union.

Kahns Krazy
06-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I've heard Brad's Brass Flamingo is a good night spot.

Seconded. Though I haven't been there in years. I wonder if it's still as good.

I think there's a buffet on Sunday because of Indiana's quirky liquor laws.

DC Muskie
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Five Guys if you can. They are from VA and it's one of the best burger places in all of Indy. Hands down.

HuskyMuskie
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Broadripple is a pretty cool night time place for fun, but it tends to cater to the younger crowd. There are plenty of jazz places, night time music joints, and bars within walking distance from both downtown and Broadripple. Just follow your google search.

St. Elmo's is great, but pricy. I remember that the Patriots and Giants both ate there before the Super Bowl. Ruth's Chris is also fantastic, depending on how much you enjoy steak. I am also a fan of Champ's, Weber Grill, and Shula's Steakhouse. All are within walking distance of the downtown area.

If you can, try staying in the new hotel (Mariott?) next to Victory Field, where the Indianapolis Indiana (AAA) play. That would be another cool thing to do, if you can talk your wife into sports. $12 tickets for damn good seats.

Porkopolis
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll also toss in my vote for St. Elmo's.

fired up karen
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
If you're wanting to stay downtown, the Conrad or JW Marriott are as nice as it gets. However, most (if not all) of the hotels were just renovated for the SuperBowl. I just stayed at the Hyatt in May, and it was nicer than I remembered it.

Do you like beer? There are a handful of microbrews popping up around town that have cool tasting rooms. Check out Sun King brewery if that interests you.

go dawgs.

paulxu
06-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Karen! Welcome back.

X-band '01
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
If you're wanting to stay downtown, the Conrad or JW Marriott are as nice as it gets. However, most (if not all) of the hotels were just renovated for the SuperBowl. I just stayed at the Hyatt in May, and it was nicer than I remembered it.

Do you like beer? There are a handful of microbrews popping up around town that have cool tasting rooms. Check out Sun King brewery if that interests you.

go dawgs.

Now I've got this image of Gerald Ford asking Homer Simpson "Do you like nachos" burned into my mind. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

joebba
06-20-2012, 06:21 PM

go dawgs.

If you like beer, Sun King is awesome stuff especially fresh on tap in their downdown brewery free tastings on Thursdays and Fridays.

There is a cool Bar with great food downtown called the Bourbon Street Distillery.

bobbiemcgee
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Take the Downtown 4 star on Hotwire for $70, can't go wrong. I've done this on numerous Vegas trips and stayed in some fabulous hotels for cheap.

XU-XHI
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Use Hotwire and find a room downtown. Just select a 3.5, 4 or 5 star. The wife and I have done this the past 2 years and have been in great places. (Crowne Plaza - Union Station & Hilton at Tower circle.) $70 a night for both. Easy to walk to anything in downtown Indy.

kmcrawfo
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
If you can, try staying in the new hotel (Mariott?) next to Victory Field, where the Indianapolis Indiana (AAA) play. That would be another cool thing to do, if you can talk your wife into sports. $12 tickets for damn good seats.

I always liked the lawn seats in the outfield at Victory Field. Bring a blanket/chair and chill out. One of my favorite atmospheres at a ball park. Do they still have this?

fired up karen
06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, they still let you sit in the outfield. Very fun time. Looks like they're intown that Friday night...not on Saturday.