PDA

View Full Version : Xavier 115 Loyola Marymount 113

Nigel Tufnel
05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
A few of my friends who are not huge X fans went to this game on January 2, 1990. They still claim its one of the best college basketball games they have ever seen. I remember watching it on tv...it was exhausting just watching. Great game though.

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/021805aah.html

waggy
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
That box score is amazing. LMU goes 15-25 from 3 (Kimble 7-8), and X shoots just 3-9 and still wins. How? Rebounding of Hill and Strong.

Masterofreality
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
That game is in my archived library of Xavier game video. I still go back and watch it on occasion.

Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble vs Jamal Walker, Derek Strong and Ty Hill.

Many people forget that Xavier had played Loyola Marymount out in Los Angeles the year before and won that game too 118- 113.

I''d like to know if 459 combined points in a two game series between two teams is an NCAA record.

GoMuskies
05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I''d like to know if 459 combined points in a two game series between two teams is an NCAA record.

LMU used to play some ridiculously high scoring games with a school called U.S. International. One year the score was 181-150.

Did a little checking. Earlier the same month, LMU beat US International 162-144. So I suppose the record is 637.

JTG
05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Aside from the Georgetown NCAA game in the Hoosier Dome, this is my favorite. Saw it in person, and it was great entertainment.

drudy23
05-30-2012, 02:31 PM
That box score is amazing. LMU goes 15-25 from 3 (Kimble 7-8), and X shoots just 3-9 and still wins. How? Rebounding of Hill and Strong.

Has there ever been two guys go 20-20 in the same game besides this one? Well, Hill went 30-20, Strong went 20-20.

MADXSTER
05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Has there ever been two guys go 20-20 in the same game besides this one? Well, Hill went 30-20, Strong went 20-20.

Speechless!

Benxman
05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Amen to this thread! I was there with a buddy and we both agree it was the most thrilling game we have ever seen. Run and gun at it's best can't be beat for sheer entertainment and that's exactly what this game was. Thanks for reminding me of it. It's been a while since I thought about it. Hill and Strong were probably the best big man combination that X has ever had. Hill was a four year starter and ended it as the Xavier career rebounding leader and Strong was a 'partial qualifier' who then started all three years of his eligibility. Not only did they have fine college careers, but both went on to play many years in the NBA. I don't know whether Pete Gillen was responsible for recruiting the bigs, or whether it was Skip Prosser, his number one assistant, but they sure got it done. That era was responsible for X getting the nick name 'Power Forward U'. Aaron Williams was a freshman on that team, and later they recruited ___ ARGH! I have a senior moment road block and can't remember the name. He has Parkinson's Disease and had his jersey retired this year! ). Oh well, most of you will know who I'm talking about.
Prosser then recruited David West. Wow! I hope Mack can resurrect some of that old magic.

GO MUSKIES!

:logo:

MADXSTER
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Brian Grant.

Yes, was at the game. Remember I stopped watching the game for a minute so that I could watch all the heads go back and forth like in a tennis match.

It was such a ridiculous pace that I laughed out loud at the obsurdity of it all.

smileyy
05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I love that the LMU archives have those box scores, especially from that season. LMU vs. LSU had Shaq putting up quite the line as well. And their NCAA tournament demolition of Michigan was one for the ages.

Ah, here they are:
LSU 148, LMU 141 in OT: http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/022405aab.html
Gathers gets 48 and 13, Kimble 32 and 11, and Jeff Fryer shoot 6-22(!) from three.
LSU shoots 64% from the floor for the game, and puts 7 players in double figures

LMU 149, Michigan 115 in the NCAA 2nd round (after Gathers death in the conference tournament)
Jeff Fryer hits 11-15 three pointers, LMU hits 21-40 3's overall

waggy
05-30-2012, 09:57 PM
T. Hill was a great player. Big and strong, but could (and would) get up and down the floor.

smileyy
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
It's a lot easier to get 20 and 10 when you play as fast as those Xavier teams did.

Masterofreality
05-31-2012, 04:42 AM
Under Paul Westhead, defense was just a rumor at LMU in those days.

But they were sure fun to watch!

drudy23
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
There was a decent 30 for 30 about Westhead and his "run and gun" philosophy.

UCGRAD4X
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
T. Hill was a great player. Big and strong, but could (and would) get up and down the floor.

He is listed on the Deveroes Summer League roster in the 'Legends Past' category. Even after all of his back problems I bet he can still bang it with the best of them.

Porkopolis
06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Those LMU teams were unlike anything I've ever seen. That game is before my time as a Xavier fan but I sure wish I'd experienced it.

smileyy
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
My 14 year old's memory of the game is something like:

"Yay! Xavier's big men are letting them control the game pretty easily!"
"Holy *($# can Bo Kimble miss?!"
"Whew! Holy crap I can't wait to see the stat lines"

nuts4xu
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I am only 38 years old, but have been attending Xavier games since I was 12. That is 26 years if you are counting.

I even spent 2 years on the Xavier bench as a student manager.

My point being, I have seen A LOT of Xavier games in my short time on this planet, yet the game against LMU was one of the best I have ever seen in person. I have this game in my DVD collection and it is amazing to see these teams run up and down the floor scoring so fast.

I can't imagine a team trying to play this style. You need to go at least 10 deep to play like that, and even then, it is crazy to think a team could hoist up that many shots in a college basketball game.

KingCole
06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
LMU used to play some ridiculously high scoring games with a school called U.S. International. One year the score was 181-150.

Did a little checking. Earlier the same month, LMU beat US International 162-144. So I suppose the record is 637.

Here's a Yahoo article about the games and how LMU's 186 points in a game will probably never be broken.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/no-7-untouchables-loyola-marymount-186-point-onslaught-130029531.html;_ylt=Am7TPUWH_Sb0uzQ0fEdWH4revbYF

My dad still says to this day that the X vs. LMU game at the Gardens was the most exciting basketball game he has ever been to.

PMI
06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
My 14 year old's memory of the game is something like:

"Yay! Xavier's big men are letting them control the game pretty easily!"
"Holy *($# can Bo Kimble miss?!"
"Whew! Holy crap I can't wait to see the stat lines"

Hang on, am I missing something? Your 14 year old remembers this game?

smileyy
06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I meant "My memory from this game from when I was a 14 year old"

PMI
06-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I meant "My memory from this game from when I was a 14 year old"

Haha, gotcha. I was confused. I'm 26 and I was too young to remember that one.

Emp
06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes I was, at the time at the scorer's table, doing the old paper and pencil stats. I was the new guy and had to record the visitor's stats, so my head was down half the game making marks on the scoresheet. I missed a great deal of the Xavier offense. At floor level, it was awesome. Still the greatest X team ever, IMHO. Certainly the most athletic, position for position.

Sidebar: in the early going of the second half, Westhead was complaining that Xavier was again tapping the ball out of bounds after a made basket, which would (slightly) slow down the LMU fast break back up the court. Xavier had been warned in the first half. A second violation was supposed to result in a technical. Westhead was making the "Technical" sign with his hands. The ref turned and saw what he thought was a timeout call, and charged LMU with the timeout. Westhead never called timeouts, and was furious.

Because the game was televised, a long first timeout ensued. Westhead spoke briefly to his team, then started complaining down the scorers table. The correct protocol is to say nothing in response to a visiting coach, but when he got to me, I offered "well it looked like you were calling timeout, coach." He stopped, looked at me hard, and told me I was supposed to keep my mouth shut. The rest of the crew was stage whispering "dont say anything!" I didnt, but as the timeout dragged on and Westhead continued to nurse his mad-on, he came back and started in on me again. Not a peep did I utter.

Later, SID Tom Eiser informed me I was on triple not so secret probation. I managed to hang on at the scorers table until 2004, when some young dudes (Statman among them) with a computer and headset replaced the whole stat staff.

joebba
06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes I was, at the time at the scorer's table, doing the old paper and pencil stats. I was the new guy and had to record the visitor's stats, so my head was down half the game making marks on the scoresheet. I missed a great deal of the Xavier offense. At floor level, it was awesome. Still the greatest X team ever, IMHO. Certainly the most athletic, position for position.

Sidebar: in the early going of the second half, Westhead was complaining that Xavier was again tapping the ball out of bounds after a made basket, which would (slightly) slow down the LMU fast break back up the court. Xavier had been warned in the first half. A second violation was supposed to result in a technical. Westhead was making the "Technical" sign with his hands. The ref turned and saw what he thought was a timeout call, and charged LMU with the timeout. Westhead never called timeouts, and was furious.

Because the game was televised, a long first timeout ensued. Westhead spoke briefly to his team, then started complaining down the scorers table. The correct protocol is to say nothing in response to a visiting coach, but when he got to me, I offered "well it looked like you were calling timeout, coach." He stopped, looked at me hard, and told me I was supposed to keep my mouth shut. The rest of the crew was stage whispering "dont say anything!" I didnt, but as the timeout dragged on and Westhead continued to nurse his mad-on, he came back and started in on me again. Not a peep did I utter.

Later, SID Tom Eiser informed me I was on triple not so secret probation. I managed to hang on at the scorers table until 2004, when some young dudes (Statman among them) with a computer and headset replaced the whole stat staff.

Some funny stuff in your story. Love the Animal House reference. I seem to remember technical for inadvertantly grabbing the ball after it goes throgh the net. If you happen to be standing right there it is a reflex reaction.

http://991.com/newGallery/Duran-Duran-The-Reflex-29959.jpg

smileyy
06-20-2012, 01:30 AM
I would love to see 1990 vs. 2008. Maybe have a tournament with 2003 and 2004 in there too (or maybe 2009?)

wkrq59
09-05-2012, 02:46 AM
That game is in my archived library of Xavier game video. I still go back and watch it on occasion.
Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble vs Jamal Walker, Derek Strong and Ty Hill.
Many people forget that Xavier had played Loyola Marymount out in Los Angeles the year before and won that game too 118- 113.

MOR, the amazing thing is in that game in Los Angeles, Bo Kimble did not play. He was injured. And it was the game where Jamal Walker calmly made either four straight or six straight free throws at the end of the game to seal it. And before the first two, Mally was standing at the free throw line jawing with Hank Gathers who kept telling him, "Kid, you know you're gonna miss," and Jamal would reply with some comment and then "swish." What was even more fun was watching Magic and Kareem and I forget the other Lakers chatting with the players and coaches in the Marriott restaurant-bar afterwards. Great night to be a Muskie fan."

Masterofreality
09-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Jamal Walker remains one of my favorite Xavier Musketeers....ever!

dcfunk
09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
That boxscore is classic. 33 offensive rebounds for XU!

Many who didn't watch the XU teams from the late 80s and early 90s don't understand the level of talent we had, while playing in the lowly MCC. I made a comment in another thread that we had teams in those days, before an on-campus arena, before nike contracts, before TV deals, and before a history of NCAA success, that could compete with anyone. I was laughed at. That 1990 team had final 4 talent, no question. It featured three future NBA forwards, including a future lottery pick and NBA All-Star. Heck we had a double digit lead in the 2nd half against Texas in the S16 and let the game slip away.

Our program, on a whole, is much improved now from those days, in every aspect. It's just amazing that we recruited at the level that we did while having minimal resources. We'd get bumped for practice time at the Garden by the Circus. Could you imagine what the 1990 frontcourt would do to this years frontcourt? Wow.