PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Singles to Live in Cincinnati

paulxu
05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Need some help.
Have a friend whose 21 year old daughter is moving to Cincinnati to work in Mason area.
I had lunch with him today and gave him some information about my old adopted city, and thoughts about it and where she might look to live.
He's German (now dual citizen) and has lived here for about 15 yrs. Daughter (multi lingual)got degree in international business and lived 1/2 year in Barcelona.

I told him they would love the city (German heritage) and went on about the things that always impressed me living there (basically big city advantages [arts, sports,etc] but easier to get around in and for my part very liveable).

My impressions are naturally skewered from going to school there in 60's, living there until mid 80's and now away for 25 years. I know primarily the Hyde Park/Mt Lookout area as that is where the wife is from and where we lived and our kids went to school for a while.

So I recommended that area and Oakley, pointing out that I thought she would be close to places to meet and socialize with her age group, relatively safe, and a bonus is she would be going the other way as the traffic each morning/afternoon, out and back to Mason, and going downtown is really easy using Columbia or I-71.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where a young, single, working woman should live in Cincinnati? My daughter did the same thing a while ago, but went back to Hyde Park as that was what she knew and now is married and out in Turpin Hills.

Thanks for any thoughts I might pass along!

94GRAD
05-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Brookstone if they want an apartment complex. Mt. Adams if a multi-family house is ok.

boozehound
05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Anywhere in Hyde Park / Mt. Lookout / Oakley if she is going to be commuting to Mason.

Mt. Adams and downtown would be cool as well but would add a little time to her commute. I personally always preferred Hyde Park / Mt. Lookout to Mt. Adams anyways.

GoMuskies
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I think we need to see her picture in order to give good advice here.

PMI
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Beat me to it.

drudy23
05-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Mason - real close, not much going on for 21 year olds
Kenwood - relatively close, on the outskirts of 21 year old fun
Mt Lookout/Hyde Park/Oakley - kinda close, good area for 21 year old (even thought they're all pretentious east-sider)
Downtown - kinda far, good area for 21 year old
Westside - very far, average area of 21 year old, but not far from downtown (and the coolest people live there)
Anderson - don't know much about it, seems very far, seems kinda boring for a 21 year old

Jumpy
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Mason - real close, not much going on for 21 year olds
Kenwood - relatively close, on the outskirts of 21 year old fun
Mt Lookout/Hyde Park/Oakley - kinda close, good area for 21 year old (even thought they're all pretentious east-sider)
Downtown - kinda far, good area for 21 year old
Westside - very far, average area of 21 year old, but not far from downtown (and the coolest people live there)Anderson - don't know much about it, seems very far, seems kinda boring for a 21 year old

He said she's German, not trailer trash.

Is her stay here going to be long term? Those condos at the new Banks project downtown would be great if she's looking for a fresh party atmosphere. They are expensive, though.

More Cowbell
05-23-2012, 03:05 PM

and boom goes the dynamite.

paulxu
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Fortunately for me (and her), I don't have a picture, and haven't ever met her.

I did tell him to not let her near anyone with an open trunk.

drudy23
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Because you can't find any of those Germans over on the westside.

Jumpy
05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Because you can't find any of those Germans over on the westside.

True, but those traits aren't mutually inclusive. No sense in condemning the poor girl sight unseen.

For this reason alone, Paul, I can't stress enough the importance of GoMuskies' request. We need pictures and measurements in order to properly suggest suitable areas of living.

Kahns Krazy
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I think it depends on what the job pays and what her interests are. If I were 21 with a job that would make me flush with cash and I like bars and clubs, I would be looking in Mt. Adams or downtown. If outdoor recreation were a priority, I'd look more to the Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout option, depending on pay.

If the international thing is important, I think you're looking more Clifton or maybe Northside?

When you get the picture posted, tell us more.

ballyhoohoo
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Westside - very far, average area of 21 year old, but not far from downtown (and the coolest people live there)

That's what I'm talking about. Pending a picture I have a free guest room.

The cheviot bar district is highly under rated.

bobbiemcgee
05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
When I graduated from X, I lived at this 20's bldg. for several years. Great spot. Ginormous 1 BR. Great courtyard and had a free garage then. Altho on Madison Rd., it was extremely quiet as everything was rock solid. Across from Withrow but you would never know it. (Quiet). Block or two to Hyde Park Sq. Most residents had been there 20-30 yrs.
I'm sure it's been undated, so I guess she won't pay the 85-100 a month I paid. haha.

http://www.everyaptmapped.com/apartments/cincinnati,ohio,oh/madison+court.html

1st on left.

danaandvictory
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
BJ's Brookstone call is a good one. Less than a mile from Oakley Square, half mile from I-71 North, and tons of young people. The only issue is there aren't really any public houses in stumbling distance and you have to deal with Crossroads traffic on the weekends.

I live in Oakley and have for much of the last decade and am biased, but I think it's the best combination of bars/restaurants and outdoor opportunities while staying less expensive than Mt. Lookout and Hyde Park.

larkinforever
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Best post in the history of Xavierhoops

paulxu
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the input so far. Wish I was single and in my 20's again!
Here's a picture of a German girl. Maybe she looks like this:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/news-in-pics/2009/11/13/claudia-schiffer.jpg

LadyMuskie
05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
She should ask some of her new co-workers where they're living. If she doesn't know anyone in the city, knowing where some of them live would be nice and maybe she could start out near them if nothing else.

As fiancees and then newlyweds (because I was married at 22 and didn't do the single thing after school) the hubby and I lived in Oakley and then Clifton. I liked Clifton better, but then I've always been partial to the gas light district. Ludlow isn't quite what it used to be though. We still have single friends living in Clifton, Oakley and Mt. Lookout. Most of our friends who were single and living in Mt. Adams are now married and living in Mt. Adams or they've moved to the burbs with us. If I had to pick today, I'd probably choose Mt. Lookout or Clifton.

As far as German heritage goes, you can't swing a cat on the west side and miss a German-American (that's for Snipe). That said, none of us speak any German, but most of us can cook a mean hassenfeffer meal or goetta. :D