05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Yummy.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/time-magazine-breastfeeding-cover-time-mag.jpg

blueblob06
05-11-2012, 08:56 AM
that's messed up...

ChicagoX
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I feel bad for that kid when he gets to junior high and high school. He'll be made fun of for the rest of his life.

Kahns Krazy
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
So, did they wait around in the studio until the kid was actually hungry and wanted to feed, or did they just pose him like that? Seriously, that is beyond messed up.

Titanxman04
05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
In our restaurant, it's a bit uncomfortable to approach a table to check in on them, and I notice the woman is breast feeding. Typically they have a cover over themselves and the baby, and I know it's part of life with a new born and all, but it's still a bit awkward for me.

None the less, that only happens with newborns at our store. That Picture there is seriously messed up.

RealDeal
05-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Anyone else hungry? I'm starving.

It's a joke for the humor impaired like roach.

Roach
05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
It's a joke for the humor impaired like roach.

Well, I'm certainly "humor impaired" whenever you make a joke ...

Kahns Krazy
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh good lord. Somebody hit the lights and see if it scatters.

JimCoker
05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Several years ago, my receptionist came back from maternity leave. On her 9:30 break, she went into the conference room to pump her breasts. I walked in on that. Mistake #1. Two hours later, I went to the refrigerator to get my lunch, and found that she had placed the bottle of breast milk right next to my lunch. Mistake #2. I fired her. We lost the unemployment claim hearing and she was awarded entitlement to collect unemployment compensation.

GoMuskies
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Several years ago, my receptionist came back from maternity leave. On her 9:30 break, she went into the conference room to pump her breasts. I walked in on that. Mistake #1. Two hours later, I went to the refrigerator to get my lunch, and found that she had placed the bottle of breast milk right next to my lunch. Mistake #2. I fired her. We lost the unemployment claim hearing and she was awarded entitlement to collect unemployment compensation.

Based on this, you appear to be an asshat.

PMI
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
We lost the unemployment claim hearing and she was awarded entitlement to collect unemployment compensation.

You think?

Snipe
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah Jim, I probably would have ruled against you.

In developing countries, kids will breast feed until they are four years old. We have a culture that sees it as just for newborns or in the first six months. Part of that is feminism in a way, because women want to be able to "break the ties of bondage", but that is the way much of the world functioned for humanity, and still functions today.

We started to pump in baby formula into third world countries in efforts to discourage breast feeding, and by many accounts it has disastrous consequences.

Be careful what you wish for, and always be aware of the law of unintended consequences.

Mary, Mother of God was probably 12 or 13 when she gave birth to the baby Jesus. Today Social Services would be on the scene trying to arrest someone for getting her pregnant.

Tardy Turtle
05-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Based on this, you appear to be Asshat Of The Year.

FYP

I bet JimCoker is an absolute treat to work for.

RealDeal
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Quite the mother friendly business you're running there.

sweet16
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM

When you say "several years ago" you mean like 80, right?

XU 87
05-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Does "several years ago" mean less than two years ago? If so, could you send me your former employee's name, phone number and address along with your company D&O insurance information?

Thanks.

STL_XUfan
05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
DIBS!!!!!!!.

I translated that out of legalese for everyone.

SM#24
05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Mary, Mother of God was probably 12 or 13 when she gave birth to the baby Jesus. Today Social Services would be on the scene trying to arrest someone for getting her pregnant.
By someone, you mean God ?
Poor Joseph would have had to take the fall.

Snipe
05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
"Bitch set me up!"

X-band '01
05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
If that were the case, Joseph would be fortunate to be arrested and not executed on the spot. Different cultures and different punishments exist all over the world.

LadyMuskie
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
So, did they wait around in the studio until the kid was actually hungry and wanted to feed, or did they just pose him like that? Seriously, that is beyond messed up.

I don't attachment parent, but I have friends who are. In my experience, those children do not "feed" when they're hungry. They "feed" whenever they want to for whatever reason - usually because they're incapable of dealing with any kind of adversity whatsoever.

For example, earlier this week we had a playdate at a friend's house. Her son fell but didn't even skin his knee. It was, in my opinion, a total non-event. However, the son then had to nurse for 20 minutes in order to be consoled about the fall. The son is a month shy of 5 years old. When he was done he told his mom that he felt better about his "big fall" but was scared to run because he might fall again. "What should I do?" is the question he posed to his mother. :eek: Aren't skinned knees and falling down parts of childhood? We don't spend a lot of time with this family because I'm only capable of holding my tongue for so long. On the other hand, I've become great at spotting kids whose parents are Sears disciples. Like kids who are homeschooled, I can spot them a mile away and haven't yet been wrong once. In my college days, having a keen gaydar was helpful. Now, my keen homeschooler/attacher-dar is also very useful.

My daughter exemplifies the other end of the spectrum I guess. She is 3 1/2, fell last night, skinned both knees and her palms of her hands, cried for a few minutes while I held her and then said "Look mommy look! This booboo looks like an X! (and it did look like an X) and this one looks like a puppy dog tail. Time for a popsicle and then I want to backflip on the rings again." I'll grant that she makes me nervous because she has no fear, but her behavior seems more in line with the way my husband and I remember growing up.

I'm guessing later on in life, we'll see which of our children is more equipped to deal with the realities of every day life. I think some of the problems we're seeing nowadays with people being ill-equipped to deal with adversity stems from attachment parenting. They're too used to being able to run to mommy when anything slightly bad or slightly out of the norm happens. In addition, some seem almost incapable of doing anything without their parents there to guide them. There's no initiative. No ingenuity. Almost no imagination without prompting from mom. These kids might be healthier physically, but mentally, they're not any better off.

Retire FiftyTu
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
That is a grown man sucking on those tits...

gladdenguy
05-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Based on this, you appear to be an asshat.

More than that. An asshat would be nice. I hope that story was something you heard from a buddy. If you fired her for that, I am speechless.

blueblob06
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
For example, earlier this week we had a playdate at a friend's house. Her son fell but didn't even skin his knee. It was, in my opinion, a total non-event. However, the son then had to nurse for 20 minutes in order to be consoled about the fall. The son is a month shy of 5 years old. When he was done he told his mom that he felt better about his "big fall" but was scared to run because he might fall again. "What should I do?" is the question he posed to his mother. :eek: Aren't skinned knees and falling down parts of childhood? We don't spend a lot of time with this family because I'm only capable of holding my tongue for so long. On the other hand, I've become great at spotting kids whose parents are Sears disciples. Like kids who are homeschooled, I can spot them a mile away and haven't yet been wrong once. In my college days, having a keen gaydar was helpful. Now, my keen homeschooler/attacher-dar is also very useful.

That is freaking crazy! Wow. That makes me sick. I can't believe you can handle being around them at all. That's a phone number to take out of your phone. When's the mom gonna stop, when the kid is allowed to switch to beer?

chico
05-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Is this really just a storyline to an upcoming episode of Mad Men?

bobbiemcgee
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
My kids grew up next to an orange grove, park and lake. Were out the door early with the dog, came back for lunch with half the neighborhood for a swim/triage of day's wounds, then off again 'til dinner. The "neighborhood network" worked just fine with of all things, "land lines." Different era, I guess.

GreatWhiteNorth
05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Is that kid even her son? I wonder how long or how many times did he had to post for that picture.

Titanxman04
05-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't attachment parent, but I have friends who are. In my experience, those children do not "feed" when they're hungry. They "feed" whenever they want to for whatever reason - usually because they're incapable of dealing with any kind of adversity whatsoever.

My daughter exemplifies the other end of the spectrum I guess. She is 3 1/2, fell last night, skinned both knees and her palms of her hands, cried for a few minutes while I held her and then said "Look mommy look! This booboo looks like an X! (and it did look like an X) and this one looks like a puppy dog tail. Time for a popsicle and then I want to backflip on the rings again." I'll grant that she makes me nervous because she has no fear, but her behavior seems more in line with the way my husband and I remember growing up.

I'm guessing later on in life, we'll see which of our children is more equipped to deal with the realities of every day life. I think some of the problems we're seeing nowadays with people being ill-equipped to deal with adversity stems from attachment parenting. They're too used to being able to run to mommy when anything slightly bad or slightly out of the norm happens. In addition, some seem almost incapable of doing anything without their parents there to guide them. There's no initiative. No ingenuity. Almost no imagination without prompting from mom. These kids might be healthier physically, but mentally, they're not any better off.

It's the kind of behavior that you have described that leaves me to believe that our country will be invaded and dominated within the next 100 years. Softies.

GuyFawkes38
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm definitely not an expert on this issue, but from a couple of articles and radio interviews I've heard, that seems to be the general consensus by the experts. It's irrefutably healthier for kids to be breastfed (the longer the better....yes, I'm a little shocked by this too). But it can be draining for the mother (especially mothers who work outside the home) and perhaps mentally harmful for the kid (but the evidence is more unclear about the mental drawbacks than the physical benefits).

MCXU
05-11-2012, 06:10 PM
It's good to be the King!

Blueblob4life
05-11-2012, 06:12 PM

You, LadyMuskie, are a Great American!

Did anyone see the interview she did on Today? I......I'm not sure how to digest this one. But she is right about one thing, it's certainly not for everyone.
http://jezebel.com/5909538/breastfeeding-mom-from-time--cover-its-not-right-for-everybody

GuyFawkes38
05-11-2012, 09:32 PM
This will definitely go down as one of the most famous covers in US media history. Just intriguing. It's something you don't want to look at it but you can't help staring at (sort of like a car crash).

Hanna Rosin of slate sums it up well (http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/05/10/time_s_breastfeeding_cover.html):

This image of hot California mom (who looks a little like Kathryn Hahn) live-breast-feeding her almost 4-year-old will surely make Tina wish she’d thought of it first.* There are many aspects to its genius: The mom and son’s twin impassive expressions, with just the teeniest hint of So What? Fuck You. The mom’s blond highlights and skinny jeans, an urban packaging meant to prove once and for all that home schooling and breast-feeding a kid even though he’s old enough to make his own breakfast is not just for the yahoos who can’t afford milk.

Indeed, the women I've noticed publicly breastfeeding (thankfully not many) never looked like that.

LadyMuskie
05-11-2012, 09:52 PM
You, LadyMuskie, are a Great American!

Did anyone see the interview she did on Today? I......I'm not sure how to digest this one. But she is right about one thing, it's certainly not for everyone.
http://jezebel.com/5909538/breastfeeding-mom-from-time--cover-its-not-right-for-everybody

I completely agree with her that each parent, each family needs to make their own choices and figure out what works for them.

However, her son, who should be so bright and so well-adjusted because of his long term breastfeeding and attachment parenting (if you believe the studies), is acting less well behaved than half the 3 year olds at a Xavier game. He's rolling around. He can't sit still. He's playing with her hair. He's yelling out. My daughter is easily the same age as that kid, and she hasn't acted like that in a year. I see kids his age in church, including my child, who sit and look at books or color and aren't rolling around like beached fish. Hell, the boys and girls in my daughter's gymnastics class can sit for longer periods of time and listen to the instructions from the coach without having to writhe around like they've got ants in their pants. It's almost as if breastfeeding isn't the only thing making kids smart and well adjusted. Perhaps, environment, genetics and parenting have something to do with it as well.

And I should note that I did breastfeed for a variety reasons, so I'm not against it at all. If we're blessed to have another child I would breastfeed that baby as well, but I don't think that my breast milk (or any mother's breastmilk) will keep a child from getting sick, having allergies, etc. and I don't think it makes a child smarter than his or her peers. I know studies "suggest" it, but I've seen the opposite in children who were breastfed long term. The older I get, the more I realize that I can find a study to tell me anything I want and everything boils down to common sense, You cannot parent by consensus from a study. You'll go crazy and you'll wind up parenting the wrong things.

BandAid
05-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Like kids who are homeschooled, I can spot them a mile away and haven't yet been wrong once. In my college days, having a keen gaydar was helpful. Now, my keen homeschooler/attacher-dar is also very useful.

I'm just curious, have you pegged me as a homeschool kid? Or is it one of those things where we would have to meet in person? Granted, I am posting in a Xavier basketball chat board at 11:30ish on a Friday night during the offseason...but I'm no more effed up than half the guys here!

joebba
05-11-2012, 10:39 PM
How many people on this thread on breastfeeding have "Zip em up!" in their signature line? :o

Blueblob4life
05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I completely agree with her that each parent, each family needs to make their own choices and figure out what works for them.

However, her son, who should be so bright and so well-adjusted because of his long term breastfeeding and attachment parenting (if you believe the studies), is acting less well behaved than half the 3 year olds at a Xavier game. He's rolling around. He can't sit still. He's playing with her hair. He's yelling out. My daughter is easily the same age as that kid, and she hasn't acted like that in a year. I see kids his age in church, including my child, who sit and look at books or color and aren't rolling around like beached fish. Hell, the boys and girls in my daughter's gymnastics class can sit for longer periods of time and listen to the instructions from the coach without having to writhe around like they've got ants in their pants. It's almost as if breastfeeding isn't the only thing making kids smart and well adjusted. Perhaps, environment, genetics and parenting have something to do with it as well.

And I should note that I did breastfeed for a variety reasons, so I'm not against it at all. If we're blessed to have another child I would breastfeed that baby as well, but I don't think that my breast milk (or any mother's breastmilk) will keep a child from getting sick, having allergies, etc. and I don't think it makes a child smarter than his or her peers. I know studies "suggest" it, but I've seen the opposite in children who were breastfed long term. The older I get, the more I realize that I can find a study to tell me anything I want and everything boils down to common sense, You cannot parent by consensus from a study. You'll go crazy and you'll wind up parenting the wrong things.

I don't want to come off as judgmental, but I do agree with your assertion about her son being less well-behaved or at least appearing as such. I also think it's something that might cause problems in the future in terms of dependence and inability to socialize. So many "studies" counter each other that you just kind of have to see what works.

Unfortunately for this kid, I think it's a disservice to him and will only harm him (and others like him) in the long haul, based on his attitude. But that's also because I was a momma's boy that had to grow up and skin my knees a few times and cry young manly tears. Then eat lots of steak and potatoes. And finally go to Xavier and become a real man.

sweet16
05-12-2012, 05:23 AM
I wasn't home-schooled and I'm over 50 years old but I still enjoy breastfeeling......does that make me a bad person?

American X
05-12-2012, 06:17 AM
I've become great at spotting kids whose parents are Sears disciples.

Unfashionable clothes and a wide array of power tools?

X-band '01
05-12-2012, 07:26 AM
How many people on this thread on breastfeeding have "Zip em up!" in their signature line? :o

I've counted 4 - I was going to rep you for that but ObamaHood, you know.

UCGRAD4X
05-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I also heard a radio interview on the subject (probably NPR - which may or may not attest to its credibility) about a woman who had her breast milk analyzed and was shocked at the number and amount of toxins there-in.

I began to wonder how it compared to a similar analysis of cows milk, tap water or organically grown fruits and vegetables.

UCGRAD4X
05-12-2012, 08:48 AM
This will definitely go down as one of the most famous covers in US media history.

You really think so?

I filed this in the "Who gives a crap" category.

I mostly agree with Lady - but if some Yuppified momma wants to do this - it just gives my kid another leg up to round the bases while this kid is running to his mommy that my kid didn't let him win.

It also doesn't bother me one way or another if a mom wants to feed her infant in public. Why should I feel uncomfortable that she is exposing herself? If it doesn't bother her why should it bother me? Kids gotta eat.

I don't mind the occasional exposed breast (as many of my Lounge posts might attest). I might not encourage it as a general rule. It would loose its appeal and a high percentage you really just don't want to see.

bobbiemcgee
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I mostly agree with Lady - but if some Yuppified momma wants to do this - it just gives my kid another leg up to round the bases while this kid is running to his mommy that my kid didn't let him win.

Don't worry, she'll arrange for a "participation" trophy cuz no one is allowed to lose nowadays.

X-band '01
05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I like how the mother already has her full name and age listed (as if she's about to be featured in a police mugshot).

Still, I'd hate to be in that kid's shoes in about 5-10 years when his name shows up in search engines because of a magazine cover that he had no control over at all.

Blueblob4life
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I like how the mother already has her full name and age listed (as if she's about to be featured in a police mugshot).

Still, I'd hate to be in that kid's shoes in about 5-10 years when his name shows up in search engines because of a magazine cover that he had no control over at all.

^Yep.

If grade school kids are still terrible at times, I can only imagine how bad this guy will have it in high school. Puberty and finding your own identity sucks, but this will only make it that much more difficult. If nothing else, I don't think the mom has thought this through completely.

Sure, she's proud to do it now, but what happens if the taunts and bullying come later? Not saying for sure that it's going to happen, but people are shitty (I'm no exemption) and I wonder what will happen later.

LadyMuskie
05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm just curious, have you pegged me as a homeschool kid? Or is it one of those things where we would have to meet in person? Granted, I am posting in a Xavier basketball chat board at 11:30ish on a Friday night during the offseason...but I'm no more effed up than half the guys here!

I'm sorry if I offended you. I can do it very well. Admittedly, I wouldn't be able to tell on a message board. But, I knew my husband's former boss was a homeschooler the first time I met him. My husband said "no way" but it turned out I was right. Maybe it's woman's intuition or something. I don't know. It isn't necessarily good or bad things that I spot and it's hard to explain what makes me think someone is a homeschooler. It's hardly ever one thing, but as a stay at home mom who spends hours at the zoo, museums, parks, etc. you become attuned to different kinds of people, and as your kids get older people watching becomes part of the fun.

If it makes a difference, I can also tell westsiders from eastsiders from northerners (West Chester-ites and Mason-ites). I can also spot a tourist visiting the Zoo or Kings Island, for example, as opposed to a local. Maybe I'm just good at noticing small details about people. Maybe my super power has something to do with figuring people out. I would rather have had the power of flight!

LadyMuskie
05-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Unfashionable clothes and a wide array of power tools?

They look like little Tim Taylors. Even the girls. It's crazy!

BandAid
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry if I offended you. I can do it very well. Admittedly, I wouldn't be able to tell on a message board. But, I knew my husband's former boss was a homeschooler the first time I met him. My husband said "no way" but it turned out I was right. Maybe it's woman's intuition or something. I don't know. It isn't necessarily good or bad things that I spot and it's hard to explain what makes me think someone is a homeschooler. It's hardly ever one thing, but as a stay at home mom who spends hours at the zoo, museums, parks, etc. you become attuned to different kinds of people, and as your kids get older people watching becomes part of the fun.

If it makes a difference, I can also tell westsiders from eastsiders from northerners (West Chester-ites and Mason-ites). I can also spot a tourist visiting the Zoo or Kings Island, for example, as opposed to a local. Maybe I'm just good at noticing small details about people. Maybe my super power has something to do with figuring people out. I would rather have had the power of flight!

I was just teasing cause I hear people say similar things about homeschoolers all the time. I had a former boss who had a comversation with me once that went something like this:

Me: I was hometeached.
Boss: Well that explains a lot.
Me: Ya
Me: I wonder to what did you chalk up my idiosyncrasies before you knew I was homeschooled?

I may be biased, but I think there are a lot of things I could've been that are far worse than being homeschooled. For example, I could've gone to dayton!

SlimKibbles
05-12-2012, 04:31 PM
I also heard a radio interview on the subject (probably NPR - which may or may not attest to its credibility) about a woman who had her breast milk analyzed and was shocked at the number and amount of toxins there-in.

I began to wonder how it compared to a similar analysis of cows milk, tap water or organically grown fruits and vegetables.

I read or heard something recently about that too. It may have been a link on FARK.

EDIT: It was a link on FARK. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breasts-natural-unnatural-history-explores-evolution-organ/story?id=16292226#.T67Xr-hYuuk

FTA: "...Williams, 45, was inspired to write the book when she agreed to participate in a study of her breast milk when she was nursing her daughter. The results were startling -- her milk was full of chemicals, from pesticides to flame retardants. ..."

Blue Blooded-05
05-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I was talking about this with a co-worker, who at the present time is very pregnant with her second child. She was telling me about how she breast fed her first child at right at the table during a team lunch and how there's nothing wrong with it, because "it needs to be done, she's not hurting anyone and it's natural."

Now... I don't disagree with her... But here's where the double standard comes in... If breast feeding is natural, so is peeing outside on a tree.

Peeing on a tree doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't hurt the tree (animals do it all the time!). It only happens when it 'needs to be done' (a bathroom is way more comfortable) ... yet I can be cited and ticketed. I just don't get it.

I'm calling the local legislative representative... If breast feeding is legal in public, so long as it's discrete... so should peeing outside. Who wants to sign the petition with me?!?!

blobfan
05-13-2012, 01:02 AM
...I'm calling the local legislative representative... If breast feeding is legal in public, so long as it's discrete... so should peeing outside. Who wants to sign the petition with me?!?!
Why don't you invite people to discretely pee on your trees for a week and the Moms can discreetly breast feed at my house and we will see who's house is more livable. I'll bet after day 2 you'll keep your windows closed.

joebba
05-13-2012, 01:09 AM
I was talking about this with a co-worker, who at the present time is very pregnant with her second child. She was telling me about how she breast fed her first child at right at the table during a team lunch and how there's nothing wrong with it, because "it needs to be done, she's not hurting anyone and it's natural."

Now... I don't disagree with her... But here's where the double standard comes in... If breast feeding is natural, so is peeing outside on a tree.

Peeing on a tree doesn't hurt anyone. It doesn't hurt the tree (animals do it all the time!). It only happens when it 'needs to be done' (a bathroom is way more comfortable) ... yet I can be cited and ticketed. I just don't get it.

I'm calling the local legislative representative... If breast feeding is legal in public, so long as it's discrete... so should peeing outside. Who wants to sign the petition with me?!?!

I can see it now. A new political party - not the Tea Party but The PEE Party.

bobbiemcgee
05-13-2012, 10:21 AM
At the risk of starting another "mommy war", and being insensitive, of course, the kid looks big/old enough to just walk over to the fridge and pour himself a glass of milk. :eek: