PDA

View Full Version : Born Racists!

Snipe
05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
From London's Daily Mail:

Babies develop racist traits aged nine months, before coming into contact with other races (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139735/Babies-develop-racist-traits-aged-months-coming-contact-races.html#ixzz1uC2E4uXP)

White babies aged just nine-months-old show signs of racial bias, according to a study in facial recognition.

Researchers at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst found that by the young age the babies were already discriminating against those of different races in their ability to recognise faces and emotional expressions.

They analysed 48 Caucasian babies with little to no experience of African-American or black individuals.

Now maybe white babies aren't really born racist, because if you read the article five month olds aren't racist, but 9 month olds are. Something white people do to their children between the 5th and 9th months of life may be the determining factor. Or not.

‘These results suggest that biases in face recognition and perception begin in preverbal infants, well before concepts about race are formed,’ said study leader Lisa Scott in a statement.

‘It is important for us to understand the nature of these biases in order to reduce or eliminate [the biases].'

Get that. Babies are born, and they study them. They determine that they have biases, even after not even coming into contact with any other race. This person wants to eliminate the biases of 9 month old children on some bullshit test. I will tell you one good way to eliminate them, just get rid off all the white babies. We are doing that already. White children are a minority of births today. When I was born in the 60s, this country was around 90% white. This country will be much better off once we rid ourselves of racist white people.

I applaud their work. We need to eliminate the biases in 9 month old babies by all means! I await the next studies on Blacks, Asians, Jews and Hispanics to see if their newborn infants are inherently racist by nature. It is one of those "Could you imagine" things that I always like to bring about, like could you imagine studies of young black nine month old infants that proclaimed that they are all inherently racist? I couldn't either.

Jumpy
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Funny story: One day a few weeks ago, I was in our living room with my 18 month old daughter and we had one of the Disney channels on in the background. As people who have watched Disney channel know, they don't run commercials between shows but rather run show promos or music videos starring their "talent".

I happened to not be paying attention to the tv when one of their music videos came on, but my daughter was watching. As soon as the video started, she said "monkey!" and pointed at the tv. I looked up to find three African-American girls on the screen. I had a moment of instant panic, thinking my daughter was a born racist. However, that panic was short lived when I realized that the music video had clips from the new Disney movie about the gorillas in it.

Once I realized she had seen an actual gorilla on screen when she said that and not a person, it became quite humorous. For a few tense moments, though, I was wondering how I was going to teach a toddler not to call dark skinned people primates.

Snipe
05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I think that just proves that you are a white racist.

UCGRAD4X
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Studies have shown, and it should not be surprising, that infants (and human beings in general) prefer faces that most closely resemble those that care for them. The more unlike those that are familiar, the less positively responsive they are.

It is human nature, not white nature.

What a total crock of crap! People who put out this crap are looking for evidence of racism until they find something they think might fit the description and publish the results without considering other possible unbiased explanations.

Why would they just use white babies in the first place.

It is irresponsible to make an assumption about anything, (race, in this case) based on a sample of one (race = white).

chico
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
You know you come here too often when you see the title of a thread and instantly know it's one of Snipe's.

Snipe
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Chico, when you glance at something and make a predetermination and generalization like that I can only conclude that you are a white racist. I hope you don't have children, because by nine months they are probably racist.

Racist.

DC Muskie
05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Juice's daughter is well on her way to becoming a major donor at Xavier.

Congrats my friend!

wkrq59
05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Ray, the off-season has started into its "how did I miss that?" phase:eek:

chico
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Chico, when you glance at something and make a predetermination and generalization like that I can only conclude that you are a white racist. I hope you don't have children, because by nine months they are probably racist.

Racist.

I have nothing against races. In fact, I have many friends that ran in the pig marathon over the weekend.

Xman95
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I think that just proves that you are a white racist.

And, therefore, crazy as well.

blobfan
05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
It seems there's a difference between an individuals racial preference and Racism. The article appears to be discussing the former. It's scientifically interesting in that it gives insight into human development but it's not determinative on its face.

It's the news feeds that redistribute it with catchy headlines to stir people up that should be excoriated, not the scientists conducting the study.

Snipe
05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
I have nothing against races. In fact, I have many friends that ran in the pig marathon over the weekend.

My amazing Hebrew friends don't like your pigs. Perhaps you should be more sensitive in the future to our diverse multi-cultural society.

Pig farming racist.

Snipe
05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
It seems there's a difference between an individuals racial preference and Racism. The article appears to be discussing the former. It's scientifically interesting in that it gives insight into human development but it's not determinative on its face.

It's the news feeds that redistribute it with catchy headlines to stir people up that should be excoriated, not the scientists conducting the study.

That is all fine and nice, but what about study leader "Lisa Scott" who wants to eliminate these biases in 9 month old children?

‘These results suggest that biases in face recognition and perception begin in preverbal infants, well before concepts about race are formed,’ said study leader Lisa Scott in a statement.

‘It is important for us to understand the nature of these biases in order to reduce or eliminate [the biases].'

I agree that the media likes to use headlines to push the "whites are racist meme". That isn't new, but it seems like the study leader isn't against it either.

This wouldn't have been news if it was Jewish kids, Hispanic/Latio kids, Black kids or Asian kids. This is news because it shows that white children are born and naturally become little racists. It fits the narrative, and whatever fits the narrative is fit to print.

At what point will people start to admit that anti-racist is code for anti-white?

chico
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
My amazing Hebrew friends don't like your pigs. Perhaps you should be more sensitive in the future to our diverse multi-cultural society.

Pig farming racist.

If loving bacon is wrong I don't want to be right.