PDA

View Full Version : Rayvonte Rice - Transfer

SixFig
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
jeffborzello

Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice has already heard from Illinois, Kansas St., Virginia, USC, Xavier, Nebraska and Missouri: http://t.co/DkPwXKAB

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/52087/rayvonte-rice

GoMuskies
04-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I saw Drake play a couple of times last year. There's no one on that team I'd want.

Xman95
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
jeffborzello

Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice has already heard from Illinois, Kansas St., Virginia, USC, Xavier, Nebraska and Missouri: http://t.co/DkPwXKAB

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/52087/rayvonte-rice

Haven't seen much of him, but I get the sense that he's more of a power guard. One of those guys that tries to play like a big in a guard's body. His shooting numbers (especially from 3) leave a lot to be desired from a guard. Probably not at the top of my wish list, but seems like he could at least bring some toughness with him. Can never have too much of that.

boozehound
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
6-4 235 is pretty good size for a guard. I'm not really sure where he fills a need though. 3 point shooting percentage is terrible for a guard.

smileyy
04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
6-4 235 is pretty good size for a guard. I'm not really sure where he fills a need though. 3 point shooting percentage is terrible for a guard.

That's like a shorter C.J. Anderson who's not smart enough to not shoot 3-point shots.

MHettel
04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
seems like Dez Wells. 6-4, 235. Would be a junior when Wells is a junior. Not sure how good of a fit that is unless Wells goes pro????

More Cowbell
04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I believe he considered transferring last year as well.

Xman95
04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
That's like a shorter C.J. Anderson who's not smart enough to not shoot 3-point shots.

DING, DING, DING!!! I agree. (Even though you never like my Griner jokes! ;))

seems like Dez Wells. 6-4, 235. Would be a junior when Wells is a junior. Not sure how good of a fit that is unless Wells goes pro????

Size is similar to Wells, but I think Wells is already more versatile. Definitely a better shooter. Rice would be nothing but a back-up at X, whether at SG or SF.

Mad_Ewok
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Mr. Rice is a very good player that should NOT be underestimated. I've watched him many times and he could definitely compete for a starting spot if he was to transfer to Xavier. He has the ability to take over games. His biggest problem was the fact that he was at Drake, who's program is just dreadful. He's already been THE man on his team, so he could come in and instantly contribute.

smileyy
04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Looking through some stats, he looks like a good player, except for this part:
27-112 .241 (3P%)

He could use to hit more free throws for as often as he gets to the line, but shooting 50% on 2's is pretty impressive for a guard.

PMI
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Mr. Rice is a very good player that should NOT be underestimated. I've watched him many times and he could definitely compete for a starting spot if he was to transfer to Xavier. He has the ability to take over games. His biggest problem was the fact that he was at Drake, who's program is just dreadful. He's already been THE man on his team, so he could come in and instantly contribute.

I don't doubt that he is a good player, because if he weren't I'm pretty sure Xavier would not show even a hint of interest, but I'm curious as to what position he'd threaten to start at at Xavier. With Wells at the 3, presumably Thomas/Davis at the 2 and Christon/Davis at the 1 in 2013-14, who do you see him realistically starting over? I've never seen him play as far as I can remember so I really don't know, but looking at his numbers (albeit in a much worse situation) I'd be skeptical of his ability to come in and really compete for a starting spot. How's his defense? I'd have to imagine that'd be the key factor, if there's one.

I'd say based on numbers alone (good shooting percentage from the field except for behind the arc) he might compare mot closely to Wells, but I would be shocked if he could come in and take his spot. In any case, I'd give this a very low chance of happening given our scholarship situation and our depth at guard/lack of depth underneath.

SixFig
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Don't forget Justin Martin at the 3.

We are loaded (assuming every player stays and improves slightly every year) in 2013-14 at the 1,2, and 3 positions.

smileyy
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
If things played out a certain way (badly) with Thomas, and with Martin's development, I could see he and Wells sharing the 2/3 spot.

He was nationally ranked in steal %, according to KenPom: http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Drake but that just says he gets steals (without fouling too much, from his FC/40), and doesn't necessarily say anything about the rest of his defense.

MHettel
04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I certainly dont see anyone saying that he's not a solid player, or that he couldnt come in and earn some minutes, possibly as a starter.

My point is why would we continue to recruit 2/3s while we are still horribly thin at the 4/5. 2 years from now we'll have Reynolds and Farr (maybe Philmore) in the frontcourt, and thats it. We need at least 2 more 4/5 as our recruiting targets. 3 if you can get it.

Xman95
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Looking through some stats, he looks like a good player, except for this part:
27-112 .241 (3P%)

He could use to hit more free throws for as often as he gets to the line, but shooting 50% on 2's is pretty impressive for a guard.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him, but I have a feeling that the majority of those come from in close. I have a feeling he's the type of guard that plays a physical brand of ball and tries to take smaller, weaker players down low. I'm not sure that's going to fit the style of play at X for a SG.

I know Raymond was a big, strong SG, but he was also a good outside shooter. He could post up smaller guards, but that wasn't his bread and butter. Just not seeing the fit with Rice unless they view him as a back-up who could give minutes at SF and SG.

XUFan09
04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
From what I've heard, he might give Xavier the chance to play a four-guard lineup. He has the length, speed, strength, and size to be appropriate for the 4.

KabeX
04-10-2012, 07:59 AM
And remember Kareem Richardson came from Drake so I would assume he knows something about this kid. It does seem a bit odd to me too given our glaring needs down low.

Mad_Ewok
04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
And remember Kareem Richardson came from Drake so I would assume he knows something about this kid. It does seem a bit odd to me too given our glaring needs down low.

Kareem Richardson was the guy who recruited him from what I have read. So they definitely are very familiar with Rayvonte's game.

xu15
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM

Taylor was the man on his team too......

DC Muskie
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Taylor was the man on his team too......

Two entirely different conferences by the way.

GoMuskies
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Ben Simons was the best player on Drake's team.

Mad_Ewok
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Ben Simons is pretty one dimensional. He's basically just a bigger and better Brad Redford. Look for his numbers to suffer without Rice getting in the lane, as well as the loss of Jordan Clarke down low.

Regarding the conference argument...there is simply no comparison between the NEC, which is almost on SWAC and MEAC levels of terrible outside of LIU and Wagner (which will suck again without Hurley at the helm). The MVC is one of the top non-BCS conferences and they have proven that through their successes.

xavierj
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Maybe but it does appear that Rice put up some monster games against Wichita State and Creighton in both points and rebounds, averaged 16 and 6 in his career against them, but then again who are they? That said I don't think Xavier has room for the guy.

MADXSTER
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I like the guy and would love for him to come to Xavier but unfortunately he just dosen't fill a need at this point. On top of that Xavier is pretty solid at the 1, 2, and 3 spots right now.