PDA

View Full Version : Delusional Dayton

xubball93
02-24-2008, 07:53 AM
But Roberts is still hoping for an NCAA berth.

"It's not over till the last jump shot is shot and the last buzzer goes off," he said. "Until that time, we've got to keep fighting and keep plugging to win."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/02/23/ddn022408udbb.html

Muskie
02-24-2008, 09:18 AM
But Roberts is still hoping for an NCAA berth.

"It's not over till the last jump shot is shot and the last buzzer goes off," he said. "Until that time, we've got to keep fighting and keep plugging to win."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/ud/2008/02/23/ddn022408udbb.html

Honestly... what's he supposed to say? He's not going to say he's packed it in and made spring break plans.

kyxu
02-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Brian Roberts has never quit on this season. Unfortunately, that can't be said for the rest of his team. UD needs more than one guy in order to win games.

OX09
02-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Brian Roberts has never quit on this season.

But he did quit in the Cintas...
Regardless of illness

kyxu
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
That's debatable. There's no doubting the kid's illness and he frankly wasn't able to do anything for his team, so Gregory had mercy on him.

Was reading the UD board a moment ago and found this great quote from "AdamtheFlyer" regarding UD vs XU, which just about sums it up:

If you think Xavier is focusing on beating Dayton, you're wrong. Xavier is focused on becoming the best basketball program in the country. They're focused on making the final four and winning a national title. Dayton is just a roadblock for them. Just an opponent to crush, like St Joe or La Salle.

I don't think I can say the same about Dayton. We're focused on getting better and beating X. That upsets me. That's a little brother complex. That's myopic thinking.

Think big. Real big. That's when the victories over X will come. You're attitude problem is spot on. We try to be them, putting so much effort into beating them. And when things begin to go wrong, we panic because the tunnel vision is blocked. We're not accomplishing the goal. Xavier can't be the goal. They have to be blocking the goal.

vee4xu
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Roberts quit at Cintas. He had 20 points the game prior to X and 20 points in the game after X. He used his flu as an excuse. His only illness was Stan Burrellitis. He plainass quit.

XU Dozer
02-24-2008, 03:26 PM
In all fairness to Roberts, it might have been a decision by the midget. There was no way they were going to beat us in that game. By taking Roberts out, he was 1) saving him for a game they could actually have a chance at winning and 2) to have a built in excuse to explain why the margin of victory was so large. I am going to give Roberts the benefit of the doubt that he didn't quit, I think it was his coach that quit!

XU Fan
02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with Dozer. Gregory sat him down because it was futile to keep him in there and risk injury. Why risk injury to your only good player when there is a 0% chance of winning the game. I thought it was the right move to bench him.

Fred Garvin
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with XU Fan. In fact I'd like to see Drew "quit" and not play against GW.

X-band '01
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Sitting Drew would be a lose-lose for Dayton. Either Xavier wins and they get great play out of guys like Dante and Adrion who get minutes they otherwise wouldn't get, or GW somehow wins and possibly jumps into a tie with UD for the final spot in Atlantic CIty. It couldn't be more perfectly drawn up.

Pleeeease, Sean, give Drew a week off and let him return against St. Joe's.

XU Fan
02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah that is kinda funny that Dayton will be rooting for Xavier in the GW game. Hahaha. I bet they never would have expected that.

vee4xu
02-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I appreciate everyone giving Roberts the benefit of the doubt. I can only suggest what it looked like with my own eyes.