PDA

View Full Version : X on list for Smotrycz

xu15
04-02-2012, 12:03 PM
ReggieRankin Reggie Rankin
RT @JucoRecruiting: Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz lists Maryland, Colorado, Baylor, Providence and Xavier and plans on taking visits soon

GoMuskies
04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Looks like a decent player. I like that he can shoot the three out of the frontcourt. Not much of a rebounder for a 6'9" guy.

OH.X.MI
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I watched a decent amount of U of M basketball this year and Smotrycz looked good in some early games but obviously cooled off later in the season. I think he would be a nice pick up. Also if the rumor is true that Griffin McKenzie's scholarship is going to be cut, this would be great for us. I stress that the McKenzie thing is just a rumor I have been hearing, no factual sport at all.

xu15
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I watched a decent amount of U of M basketball this year and Smotrycz looked good in some early games but obviously cooled off later in the season. I think he would be a nice pick up. Also if the rumor is true that Griffin McKenzie's scholarship is going to be cut, this would be great for us. I stress that the McKenzie thing is just a rumor I have been hearing, no factual sport at all.

I don't think his ship will be cut just for reputation purposes. Recruiting rules all sometimes.

bobbiemcgee
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
He played in all 69 Michigan games.

Snipe
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
69 is my lucky number.

Kahns Krazy
04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
69 is my lucky number.

The groupon today is for 69% off "Colon Hydrotherapy". That is an unlucky number.

MADXSTER
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Looks like a decent player. I like that he can shoot the three out of the frontcourt. Not much of a rebounder for a 6'9" guy.

Second leading rebounder on the team. Also, it depends on how he was positioned for that offense. Was the offense set up for him to stay outside to spread the floor which in turn means less rebounding opportunities?

ArizonaXUGrad
04-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Second leading rebounder on the team. Also, it depends on how he was positioned for that offense. Was the offense set up for him to stay outside to spread the floor which in turn means less rebounding opportunities?

This...I watched more than a few UM games this year and this is accurate. However, Smot is definitely not a banger type of forward. I think he is what we want Griff to turn into and never did.

GIMMFD
04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Any reason why he's transferring?

I wouldn't mind a stretch four, I think we could put Justin Martin in that spot too, especially if he gets stronger and works on his rebounding. But, this Smotrycz guy seems like he knows what he's doing, it would add some experience if anything. Who's spot would he take though scholarship wise?

smileyy
04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
He looks like he'd be a great get. 43% from 3, 77% from FT, nationally ranked defensive rebounding % (118th in the country), 59% eFG%, 62% TS%.

XUFan09
04-02-2012, 08:18 PM

I wouldn't mind a stretch four, I think we could put Justin Martin in that spot too, especially if he gets stronger and works on his rebounding. But, this Smotrycz guy seems like he knows what he's doing, it would add some experience if anything. Who's spot would he take though scholarship wise?

We'll probably find out in the next couple weeks. As for now, rumors and idle speculation.

XULucho27
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM

A few. He was expected to really make an impact this year for Michigan and was doing so until a prolonged shooting slump during B1G play put him in the doghouse. That coupled with the emergence of Jordan Morgan, a reshuffling of the lineup that saw him put on the bench in favor of Stu Douglass, and Michigan getting two very good recruits at the position pretty much did it for him.

He could be a great addition if we have room for him. He's basically the type of player that killed us all year, a 4 who could stretch out the D with his perimeter shooting. His defense does leave a little to be desired and he fouls far too often (more info below) but he did have very good rebounding numbers.

Overall, I don't think he could be a starter at X two years from now but instead could be a great option coming off the bench, posing a matchup problem for a lot of teams. Here's a quick write-up on his season:

Evan Smotrycz

Preseason Expectations: Smotrycz was pinned as the X-factor for Michigan, a player who could put the team over the top as a sharp-shooting starter at power forward. After a solid but inconsistent showing as a freshman, he looked due for a breakout season.

Postseason Reality: It was a rollercoaster season for Smotrycz, who struggled early, caught fire at the end of nonconference play, then went into a prolonged slump that saw him lose his starting job for the rest of the season. The surprising post-season transfer fits that narrative all too well. The overall numbers are solid: Smotrycz averaged 7.7 points per game with a 58.9 eFG%, and he was also the team's most effective defensive rebounder, bringing in 21.4% of opponent misses when he was on the floor. However, Smotrycz never quite found his game again after losing his shooting stroke in Big Ten play, and his overall defense left much to be desired; he finished with a sky-high 5.8 fouls per 40 minutes as he played defense with his hands instead of his feet far too often. Smotrycz on average was an effective offensive weapon, but the inconsistency and defensive shortcomings proved too great to justify giving him starter's minutes.

Highlight: Prospects looked good when Smotrycz scored 20 points on eight shots (4-5 from three) and grabbed nine rebounds against Oakland. It's also worth noting that Smotrycz's 15 points on 6-7 shooting was really the only thing keeping Michigan close against Ohio in the last game of the season.

Lowlight: Smotrycz's final start was the debacle at Iowa, and he failed to score in 22 minutes of play while also committing two turnovers. That was the final straw, as Beilein inserted Stu Douglass into the starting lineup against State.

Key Numbers: 58.9 eFG%, 21.4 DR%, 5.8 FC/40

Next Year: Smotrycz won't be here, which really sucks. Best of luck to him.

All in all, I'd love to see him here at X. However, I don't think he'll come if his ultimate goal is to be a starter. He can be very good, but his streaky performances do make you doubt whether he could start consistently. Specifically, was his performance during B1G conference play an anomaly or part of a trend?

xufan02
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Smotrycz is not a runaway starter after he sits out. I think with Philmore, JMart, and James Farr in the fold we will have that face-up four man already on the roster. We need a brusier for next season; either Oriakha or Colin Borchert would fit the bill. We need a scholarship first.

BMoreX
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Although Xavier is the lone non-Big Six school of the bunch, that doesn't bother Smotrycz.

"Xavier, what is that, like four of the last five Sweet 16s?" Smotrycz noted. "I'd put them in that group even though they are in the A-10, that's a high-level program. I'd lump them in with everyone else."

Gotta love that.

http://atlantic10.scout.com/2/1173962.html

ArizonaXUGrad
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
We are a superior program to what he has narrowed his field down to. Easily...it will be just a matter of where he thinks he fits in better.

smileyy
04-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Baylor is really the only other team that should be in that discussion. Providence...really?

XULucho27
04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say Providence being in the mix is more the result of being closer to home than anything else. Reading MA. is closest to Providence than any of the schools on his list. Who knows if that could be playing a factor.

smileyy
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
That makes sense.

GoMuskies
04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Baylor is really the only other team that should be in that discussion. Providence...really?

You don't think Maryland should be in the discussion?

smileyy
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
You don't think Maryland should be in the discussion?

No. Its not clear to me that that's a program going anywhere. Sure, they have some history. But are they making the tournament next year?

GoMuskies
04-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Maybe not next year, but they shoudl be a tournament team by the time Smotrycz is eligible assuming Dalonte Hill continues to be a recruiting machine.