PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah Cousins 2012 SG

awayfan
03-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Looks like they just offered a scholarship to a 6' 3" shooting guard from Mt. Vernon, NY. He also got offers from South Carolina and Oklahoma yesterday

http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2012/03/05/class-aa-a-championship-recap-mv-tz-affirm-section-1-dominance/

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation?id=142515&_slug_=isaiah-cousins&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcol lege-sports%2fbasketball%2frecruiting%2fplayer%2fevalua tion%3fid%3d142515%26_slug_%3disaiah-cousins

More Cowbell
03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
I saw the tweet about this. I find it hard to believe that X is offering an undersized shooting guard. Has he grown since espn's last report on him?

bleedXblue
03-05-2012, 08:19 AM
he's 6' 4 ???

Do we need any more evidence that Lyons is not returning ?

We have Martin, Redford and the frosh all at the SG next year.

Why would we need this kid unless he's an unreal talent or we know Lyons is leaving ?

Cincypunk.org
03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I saw the tweet about this. I find it hard to believe that X is offering an undersized shooting guard. Has he grown since espn's last report on him?

He is 6'3 per the first post. Never heard of the dude, maybe he just hit a growth spurt.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
He is 6'3 per the first post. Never heard of the dude, maybe he just hit a growth spurt.

I think he is a backup plan in Morris or Graham fail to commit. The kid is not highly sought after. He has other offers from Iona, Manhatten, Hofstra, yes also from VT and OK. Rivals has him at 6'3 175lbs.

Yes this means that XU will lose the seniors plus one of McKenzie/Martin/Lyons. With Martin losing a year, if he is not happy I definitely see him leaving.

JimmyTwoTimes37
03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I think he is a backup plan in Morris or Graham fail to commit. The kid is not highly sought after. He has other offers from Iona, Manhatten, Hofstra, yes also from VT and OK. Rivals has him at 6'3 175lbs.

Yes this means that XU will lose the seniors plus one of McKenzie/Martin/Lyons. With Martin losing a year, if he is not happy I definitely see him leaving.

Where would Martin go? He would lose a year of eligibility wouldn't he?

bleedXblue
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
if next year is a rebuilding year, I say let Martin walk and lets start fresh.

WicRill
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't see a mention of Brad moving on to play next year at a school where he might get more playing time or just to pursue a masters and start his broadcasting career. Myles Davis would play the same role as Redford and may add more versatility as well.

xu95
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I think it would have to be very bad for Martin to leave. His choices are lose a year of eligibility or go DII

X4LIFE
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Is there any truth to decommit rumors? A friend sits in front of Mack's wife at games and heard one of the recruits decommitted.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Martin won't see it that way. Why spend 2-3 years somewhere he isn't happy just so he doesn't lose another year. If he is unhappy he will go.

I agree with the above poster. Redford could leave also. I bet it's one or more of Martin/Lyons/Redford. Lyons/Redford making sense since I believe both graduate and could get the waiver.

Frambo
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Is there any truth to decommit rumors? A friend sits in front of Mack's wife at games and heard one of the recruits decommitted.

I believe that they all signed their LOI's, so can they decommit?

xavierj
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Do we have any recruits that have not signed LOI's? I don't think so. Plus if someone did decommit it would be common knowledge by now the way the internet and pay sites work.

boozehound
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Martin won't see it that way. Why spend 2-3 years somewhere he isn't happy just so he doesn't lose another year. If he is unhappy he will go.

I agree with the above poster. Redford could leave also. I bet it's one or more of Martin/Lyons/Redford. Lyons/Redford making sense since I believe both graduate and could get the waiver.

I don't think Redford leaves. There have been a lot of times where he could have left to see more playing time. He has stayed.

Frankly, I think next year could pay off big time for Redford. I don't see a Freshman Myles Davis being so good that he relegates Redford to a 10mpg - 15mpg guy. I think Redford will start at the 2 next year and will have the opportunity to be a Senior leader and have, by far, the largest role in the team that he has had to date. Why be a role player for 4 years only to leave when you have a chance to shine.

I would expect Redford to put in major work this offseason toward developing a more complete game knowing that he has a chance to be a major player next season.

boozehound
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Do we have any recruits that have not signed LOI's? I don't think so. Plus if someone did decommit it would be common knowledge by now the way the internet and pay sites work.

Yeah. They have all signed LOI's so they can't really decommit.

bleedXblue
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
What about possibly not being eligible to play ? Maybe Davis might be a partial qualifer ??

I know we're reallyl reaching here......this is just a guess.

Xman95
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
If I had to guess, I would say that the focus on adding another SG is because Lyons won't be here next year. I'm not saying this is the case, just what my guess would be. I don't see Redford leaving. Martin? Maybe, but he would have to seriously hate his situation to sit another year or drop down to D-2.

AdamtheFlyer
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah. They have all signed LOI's so they can't really decommit.

Technically, they can. Any signed player can still go anywhere. If the original school releases them from the LOI, they'd be eligible immediately. If not, they are essentially a transfer, and would have to redshirt to keep their freshman year. They can also go to a JUCO for a year and then go to any D1 school if they were academically qualified for the NCAA. Doubt any of the kids have said they aren't coming, though. That would be news by now.

Cousins is an interesting prospect. Seems like a late bloomer who held off and is now blowing up a bit. Dayton's been in on him for a while, though I'm not sure if he's a high priority or just an offer. Archie's in on several 2012 guards for the spring period. Hard to say who is his top target.

A10fan
03-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Archie's in on several 2012 guards for the spring period. Hard to say who is his top target.

It's easy to say who is his top target.It's the one that commits.

boozehound
03-06-2012, 07:30 AM
What about possibly not being eligible to play ? Maybe Davis might be a partial qualifer ??

I know we're reallyl reaching here......this is just a guess.

Given our recent track record a partial qualifier wouldn't shock me.

We like to have at least 1-2 guys redshirting for various reasons each year it seems.

Pete Delkus
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
So Mack is in Albany to watch this kid play in Class AA finals. Article says he has X, V. tech, Okl, Dayton and UCONN as finals. UCONN can't be in a good position for thud kid, especially when he has says he wants to distance himself from home and go away from school. Who knows if UCONN is far enough.

6'3 kid who is electric and known for his D. I'm sure Archie is listing all our current guards coming back and adding Davis and Semaj too.

Side note...Much of the success teams have had in this tourney seems to be at the rim. My point is that bigs are so important, even though everyone loves G in the tourney.

I want another big time PF like Strong, Williams, Hill, Grant and of course, West.

I would love the talents of Duncan and Doellman in a recruit.

Seems our successes align with a different type of recruit.

AdamtheFlyer
03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Dayton sent Allen Griffin to the same event. Archie was hosting a 6'5" SF named Ryan Taylor on campus at the same time. Originally committed to Louisville but spent last year at Hargrave. No idea what they means for their chances or even interest in getting Cousins. Archie does have two scholarships open, but I'm not sure he will give both to a 2012 freshman. Chances are he banks one for either an incoming transfer or a 2013 kid, to get more balance in the classes.

An article I read on Cousins made it seem like he wants to play PG and would favor a program who would give him that opportunity. Xavier has Christon and Davis for the next 3 years, and Dayton has Dillard next year and a highly regarded freshman in Jevon Thomas coming in. Don't think Cousins would be much of an option at PG for either school.

Just a hunch, but I can see Cousins ending up at Virginia Tech.

xu95
03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I really think Cousins will end up at Dayton. He seems happy with both Dayton and Xavier and I just think he will enjoy possibly having more playing time at Dayton.

xufan02
03-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I think Cousins is going to go where he can get the most minutes. Now that Lyons has confirmed he is coming back I think a juco big man is what we need. There are a few targets the staff is working on currently.

bleedXblue
03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I would MUCH rather we bring in a frosh SG or PF or C that needs some developing but has the potential to become a good player rather than take a flyer on a JUCO transfer. This staff has not done a good job evlauating big man talent the last 2-3 years.

MADXSTER
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
I would MUCH rather we bring in a frosh SG or PF or C that needs some developing but has the potential to become a good player rather than take a flyer on a JUCO transfer. This staff has not done a good job evlauating big man talent the last 2-3 years.

We have two 6'9 PF freshman coming in next year. One is a four star and the other a top 150 recruit.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
From what I can see right now, this team needs a guard that is 6'3 or taller with some speed that can defend the 1 or the 2. I know Dez has speed but can he really defend the 1 or the 2. If this basketball team loses 1 or 2 guys in the off season I don't see a problem filling that spot(s) with this 6'4 guard or Graham at 6'4 or Morris at 6'6.

xavierj
03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
From what I can see right now, this team needs a guard that is 6'3 or taller with some speed that can defend the 1 or the 2. I know Dez has speed but can he really defend the 1 or the 2. If this basketball team loses 1 or 2 guys in the off season I don't see a problem filling that spot(s) with this 6'4 guard or Graham at 6'4 or Morris at 6'6.

Semaj is listed at 6'3" and Myles Davis is 6'2" so that will help a little. Semaj being bigger and very athletic should make him a really good defender down the line.

wkrq59
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
First, Mark Lyons is coming back. Redford, Martin and McKenzie have given no indication they are leaving, so Xavier is full up on scholarships. Considering the growth Martin showed in the three tournament games, ditto for Dee, it appears as though Xavier will be fine in the back court and wing. The 4 and 5 however could use help. :eek::confused::D

ArizonaXUGrad
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
First, Mark Lyons is coming back. Redford, Martin and McKenzie have given no indication they are leaving, so Xavier is full up on scholarships. Considering the growth Martin showed in the three tournament games, ditto for Dee, it appears as though Xavier will be fine in the back court and wing. The 4 and 5 however could use help. :eek::confused::D

To the poster above, various recruiting sites list Chris/Davis at 6'2 and 6'1 respectively. I hope they are each 1 inch taller though.

To this poster, there aren't any bigs left in this class that X is after that are worth anything. There are 2 guards that a 4 star and a 3rd guard that has size in Cousins that we are showing interest. I say get what you can that you believe will be successful.

Pluto
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Committed to Oklahoma

xu15
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Committed to Oklahoma

Fine by me. I want Torian Graham or a top juco big man if we open up a roster spot.

Muskie 35
03-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Pretty sure we are out of the Torain Graham race....dont think they are after him anymore....

xMUaSKvETiEEeRSr
03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Pretty sure we are out of the Torain Graham race....dont think they are after him anymore....

How do you know this? Look at Torain Graham's twitter page (@TorianJG4). He only seems to retweet Xavier fans.

gladdenguy
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
How do you know this? Look at Torain Graham's twitter page (@TorianJG4). He only seems to retweet Xavier fans.

I have heard we have stopped recruiting T. Graham as well. We are only pursuing big men....which seems reasonable right now. I would think Lyons coming back would had a lot to do with that decision.

xavierj
03-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I think this kid committing so quick to Oklahoma tells you Xavier informed him that they will not have a spot for him, thus did not set up a visit for him. I would imagine this means that everyone will be back except one big man. I would think Xavier will look to a juco or Oriahki if they could land him. I think Xavier will get a very good wing, 5 -star, in the next class who would be here in the 2013-2014 season.

MADXSTER
03-28-2012, 12:41 PM

There ya go thinkin again :D

xu15
03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I think this kid committing so quick to Oklahoma tells you Xavier informed him that they will not have a spot for him, thus did not set up a visit for him. I would imagine this means that everyone will be back except one big man. I would think Xavier will look to a juco or Oriahki if they could land him. I think Xavier will get a very good wing, 5 -star, in the next class who would be here in the 2013-2014 season.

Ummm, yeah, I think I would be ok with us getting a 5 star wing.

We need to get rollin on that class soon. We have no one so far.

BandAid
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Ummm, yeah, I think I would be ok with us getting a 5 star wing.

We need to get rollin on that class soon. We have no one so far.

The only reason for early commitments is to look good ;)

xavierj
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Man I'm good. Although not convinced he won't go nba after 1 juco year.

XULucho27
04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Man I'm good. Although not convinced he won't go nba after 1 juco year.

That was pretty impressive. Got the year, position, and caliber. Well played.