PDA

View Full Version : Car Repairs

xu2006
02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Looking for some insight here... does anyone know of a trusted mechanic in the Cincy area? What about collision repairs? I'm just wondering what experiences people have had around the area.

Thanks.

chico
02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
If you need a good body shop, I'd try Mt. Washington Motors - on Rt. 32 just outside of Newtown. X grad and his father run the place, they're very fair and they've always done good work.

blobfan
02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I've always been happy with the work Burtons did, but they can be pricey.

Kahns Krazy
02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I have used Whities on Madison Road for 19 years. They have always treated me very fairly. The story I always tell when I recommend them to people is one time I brought my Civic in and told them I needed the 90,000 mile service. That service runs about $380. They called me that afternoon to remind me that I had done all of that service 8 months earlier while i was replacing a water pump, and all I was due for was an oil change, so the total would be $26, not $380. Their phone # is 221-1666. I believe they work on most foreign cars, but they specialize in Japanese cars. The only downside is that they are only open Monday through Friday.

Art Miller on Delta down by the Precinct is also very fair. My girlfriend and her whole family bring their cars there. Art will work on just about anything, and will tell you very honestly when he thinks you have something that a dealer should handle. Art's specialty is European cars. Art has Saturday morning hours.

For American cars, I have used JK Car Care, which I believe is still out near downtown Milford, but to be honest, I haven't had an american car in about 10 years, so I don't know if that is still a good spot.

For body work, there are two places down on Kellogg. Jerry Ernst and Mike's Auto Body. I took my Civic to Mike when I rear ended someone and I was paying for it myself. The dealer recommended body shop quoted me $1,500. Mike quote $1,200, then asked if I was paying for it myself. When I said I was, he re-worked the work and the quote, and got me down to $800 by re-using some parts that he said would be replaced in an insurance job, but really didn't need to be. I still drive the car 10 years later, and have had no problems with anything he worked on, including the paint.

If you have any higher-end body work you need done, I recommend Eastside Body Shop. They all but rebuilt a car of mine. ($17,000 in body work). With that much work, there were bound to be some issues, but they addressed all of them until they were right. At the end of the day, the car looked better than it did before I tried to straighten a curved guardrail with it.

Hope that helps.

boozehound
02-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I second the Mount Washington Motors recommendation. I have found them to be extremely fair and honest.

xu 89
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Art Miller is very good. Been taking my cars there for 15 years and have been very pleased.

Michigan Muskie
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
When I was living in Cincinnati I was referred to "Dan the Man" - Dan's Auto Repair in Deer Park. Not only is he reasonably priced (very fair) but the workmanship is top quality. To boot, his son was once the trainer for Xavier basketball (Dave Fluker). Dan has pictures of athletes all over his walls, including Deion Sanders as I recall.

The story I recall is when I had a damaged running board on a conversion van. It was cracked by a runaway golf cart in a parking lot. I took the van to CarQuest in Madeira and was told it would have to be completely replaced and that they couldn't order just one board, I'd have to order two. Total estimate was close to $1200. Someone referred me to Dan Fluker, so I visited him and he told me he could repair it and paint it for $50. When he was done with the job, it looked good as new.

I wish I had a "Dan the Man" in Michigan. It's been 7 or 8 years since I visited Dan, but he's stil listed online: Dan's Auto Repair 513-791-0028. 8560 Vorhees Drive 45236

ATL Muskie
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Collision repairs..... sounds like someone has a White Death story.

PM Thor
02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
add me to that list ATL. I was cleaning off the ice on my windows and punched through my drivers side window, destroying it. Hey get this. When cold, plastic is brittle! Son of a bitch.

XU0001
02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Burtons does a heck of a job I don't know about pricing all I know is my insurance company said to go their and they did a fantastic job!

kane79
02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
mt washington is the way to go. been going there my whole life.my father graduated with one of the donovan boys, who run it, from purcell and both went to xu. Always have a nice conversation about the basketball team when i'm in there.

Smooth
02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I had the misfortune of working for a rental car company for a couple years. I worked at the Glenway, Colrain and Fairfield offices, so I am (or was) familiar with most body shops west of 75. Mt Healthy was the best of the 50-60 I regularly dealt with.