PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Simpson Indicted

nkymuskie
01-19-2012, 11:39 AM
First of all I want to say thank you to the Kenton County prosecutor for waiting until AFTER the season is over to press charges on Jerome. If the prosecutor had pressed charges earlier there is the chance that we never would have had the pleasure of watching the flip.

But yeah Jerome finally was indicted on

"trafficking marijuana over 8 oz and less than five pounds, according to Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders. The charge is a Class D felony with a punishment of one to five years in prison."

It looks like we will likely be looking for a new #2 wide receiver either through the draft or free agency.

Here's a link to the rest of the article http://t.co/bNQwdvzV

smileyy
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Legalize it.

Also, *($# waiting on charges. I couldn't tell if you were being facetious.

Kahns Krazy
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Interesting that the indictment is for less than 5 pounds when the stories at the time put the amount between 8 and 11 lbs.

I'm still scratching my head about this whole thing. I honestly hope Jerome can beat this one. The delay in the indictment is curious to me, though it can certainly be for any number of reasons.

nkymuskie
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Legalize it.

Also, *($# waiting on charges. I couldn't tell if you were being facetious.

Haha yeah I was being facetious. I was surprised it took that long though to finally indict him.

XU05and07
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Interesting that the indictment is for less than 5 pounds when the stories at the time put the amount between 8 and 11 lbs.

I'm still scratching my head about this whole thing. I honestly hope Jerome can beat this one. The delay in the indictment is curious to me, though it can certainly be for any number of reasons.

He was just holding the other half for someone else

xavierj
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
He has a clean record. I would imagine he might get a little jail time, which he can serve in the off season, probation and maybe get suspended 4 games from the league. His NFL career will not be over.

bobbiemcgee
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM
marijuana possession is against the law? How many mui deaths last year? Just dumb laws.

nkymuskie
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
His NFL career will not be over.

I agree with this ^ I think he will probably serve a little more than a little though. Minimum of at least 4 months. This is a felony by the way. I'm not sure if there is a way his lawyer could plead this down to a misdemeanor or not.

Porkopolis
01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree with this ^ I think he will probably serve a little more than a little though. Minimum of at least 4 months. This is a felony by the way. I'm not sure if there is a way his lawyer could plead this down to a misdemeanor or not.

He is lucky he was on the Kentucky side of the river. Ohio has mandatory minimum sentencing, Kentucky does not. Hopefully he avoids jail time. Full disclosure: I favor the complete legalization of marijuana and think the law he broke should not exist.

nkymuskie
01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
marijuana possession is against the law? How many mui deaths last year? Just dumb laws.

I agree that it should be decriminalized.

The danger of the drug comes from the people buying and selling it (Edit: illegally), not the drug itself. If you want to smoke that's your choice just like cigarettes and alcohol.

Porkopolis
01-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree that it should be decriminalized.

The danger of the drug comes from the people buying and selling it (Edit: illegally), not the drug itself. If you want to smoke that's your choice just like cigarettes and alcohol.

I agree. Some people make the "gateway drug" argument, but the only reason marijuana is a gateway drug is that you buy it from a drug dealer.

nuts4xu
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
It was just a little pot!

I bet Simpson serves zero days in jail, and will be in Bengal stripes not prison stripes next fall.

8 oz ain't shit.....ask Corey Blount.

Porkopolis
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM

He had 2.5 pounds. That is not just a little pot, that is enough to keep Cheech & Chong occupied for a bit. :D

Edit: yeah, I know Blount had way more. He should have dropped the "o" from his last name.

xavierj
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
It was just a little pot!

I bet Simpson serves zero days in jail, and will be in Bengal stripes not prison stripes next fall.

Yeah Blount served a year for about 30 lbs that he said was for his 40th birthday.

smileyy
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Here's some math, pulled out of my ass. Let's say that marijuana could retail for $50 an eighth, but if marijuana were legalized, the price would end up getting cut in half, but with a 20% sales and "sin" tax applied.

2.5 lbs * 16 ozs/lb = 40oz * 8 eights/oz = 320 eighths * $25/eighth = $8000 * 20% tax rate = $1600 for local governments.

Instead, local governments will probably spend at least 10x that amount prosecuting him.

xsteve1
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Really could care less if he's back or not. The guy is freak'n stupid and doesn't play hard all the time. The Bengals need to bring somebody in in FA or draft over him.

Porkopolis
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Here's some math, pulled out of my ass. Let's say that marijuana could retail for $50 an eighth, but if marijuana were legalized, the price would end up getting cut in half, but with a 20% sales and "sin" tax applied.

2.5 lbs * 16 ozs/lb = 40oz * 8 eights/oz = 320 eighths * $25/eighth = $8000 * 20% tax rate = $1600 for local governments.

Instead, local governments will probably spend at least 10x that amount prosecuting him.

Governments often make silly financial decisions. I'm currently fighting the IRS over an additional $400 they think I owe from three years ago. They have already spent more preparing their case against me than that, and it is a case I should win easily based on legal counsel I've received.

Kahns Krazy
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM

The legalized, untaxed cost of an eighth would be well below $25, so your example is conservative. Out of a $25 eighth, I'd guess that 80% would be tax of some kind.

I'm all for it.

LyonsIsFlyin
01-19-2012, 03:55 PM
The legalized, untaxed cost of an eighth would be well below $25, so your example is conservative. Out of a $25 eighth, I'd guess that 80% would be tax of some kind.

I'm all for it.

You guys are speaking the truth. So much money would be generated through legalizing it, not to mention crime rate would drop dramatically as well.... only reason I see not to do it is because it's logical.

Fred Garvin 2.0
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Drugs are bad.

smileyy
01-19-2012, 09:59 PM

I'm all for it.

You're probably right, but I'm guessing the tax rate would be something around 100%. Which I'm fine with.

Snipe
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM

I'm all for it.

Medical Maryjane goes for about 300 an ounce in California, so it would probably be $35 an ounce.

I read a report on it once. Drug dealers have significant advantages in black markets. For one, they don't pay taxes. No income tax, no sales tax, no FICA taxes on workers. They can employ kids and not pay them minimum wage. They also don't have to fill out any paperwork, pay any fees or licensees and they aren't subject to any government regulations. All that stuff is very costly to businesses and once they have to comply with it the prices don't come down as much as people suspect.

For the government to make money on weed they have to keep it highly regulated. If they don't, and they allow people to grow for personal use on their own property then the game is over. 1 plant can end up looking like a small tree with enough miracle grow in just one growing season. Then you can harvest more than a pound of the stuff. A pound of the stuff at California prices is $4,800. People would grow their own, and I doubt many hobbyists would consider it work when they were watering their grow.

States will have every incentive to keep weed highly regulated. Current growers in Humbolt County California have lobbied against it being legal. If the state is to profit at all they need to control it tightly.

So I think you are right and wrong in a sense. If it was truly legal and you could grow it in your back yard and take it across state lines it would be pretty cheap everywhere. If it is going to be highly regulated and taxed by the state, the cost will remain high. I am betting on the cost remaining high if more States go ahead with legalization.

Kahns Krazy
01-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Medical pot is still a federal crime, and the price includes hazard pay for those who are willing to risk it in the name of "medicine". Fully legalized pot would have very little relationship to California's structure.

A pack of cigarettes contains about half an ounce of tobacco and can stiil be found for $4, and that includes over $2 in taxes. Certainly, there is a difference in harvestable weight between a tobacco plant and a pot plant, but I don't believe it is a factor of nearly 100 times.

Snipe
01-20-2012, 09:11 AM
My point is that I don't this is a bug, it is a feature. I think States would want to preserve the high price and high regulatory environment even though they let it loose. I would bet that the US Federal Government would OK Medical pot first, and after that the lobbyists would demand that they keep the market cornered. At least if it is just like anything else.

I agree though, the stuff grows like a weed, hence the moniker. It grows huge on all it's own. They still have tobacco permits that you can sell for lots of money too. Not everyone is even allowed to grow tobacco even though it has never been illegal (yet), at least not grow it commercially. I can't see the State not involved even if they do make it more permissible. The State exists in part to interfer and tax your transactions, and sin tax theory dictates that they will want to tax weed transactions and regulate them more than other products.