PDA

View Full Version : Zavier Turner (PG)

SixFig
01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Love the name, hate the spelling

5'9'', 160 lbs. | Class of 2013
Hometown - Indianapolis, IN
School - Pike High School

Profile (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103539/zavier-turner)
Article (http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2012/01/04/pikes-turner-gathering-info-for-hard-decision/)

Turner, a 5-8 point guard, said Wednesday that he’s “paying closer attention” to four schools: Loyola (Ill.), Saint Louis, West Virginia and Xavier. He has scholarship offers Loyola and Saint Louis.

“It’s a very, very hard decision,” said Turner, who is averaging 12.5 points and 6.4 assists through eight games this season. “I want to go somewhere I fit into the system really well and make an impact. I don’t want to be unsatisfied with where I go.”

Turner said he likes the idea of Saint Louis or Loyola because he believes he could earn early playing time at both schools. West Virginia and Xavier are appealing because each program runs a three-guard offense.

DoubleD86
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Love the name, hate the spelling

5'9'', 160 lbs. | Class of 2013
Hometown - Indianapolis, IN
School - Pike High School

Profile (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103539/zavier-turner)
Article (http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2012/01/04/pikes-turner-gathering-info-for-hard-decision/)

A scout reporter (covers the A-10 well and runs the SLU site) said on twitter that the "bettor's money" is on SLU for Turner, FWIW.

XUFan09
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
He (like all 2013 PGs) would probably have to blow up for Xavier to go after him hard. With Dee in the 2011 class and Christon in the 2012 class, the team seems set at point guard for a few years. I imagine it would be rough to have someone at your position in the two classes above you, unless you felt you could surpass them. Of course, most respectable recruits probably seem to have the winning mentality and confidence that leads to that conclusion.

boozehound
01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't want another 5'9" PG. SLU can have him.

Benxman
02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't want another 5'9" PG. SLU can have him.

THIS!

GO MUSKIES!

:sword:

ArizonaXUGrad
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
THIS!

GO MUSKIES!

:sword:

I think the idea is that they are hoping he grows a bit more. You rally cannot have enough kids off the bench who can handle the ball. A team needs 3 PGs or 3 Gs who can bring the ball up the court.

Xman95
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Are they re-recruiting Dee Davis here? (Nice that he's from Pike, the place that gave us Justin Cage.)

smileyy
02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I'd take a 5'9" PG, if he can blow past defenders and get in the lane.

boozehound
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd take a 5'9" PG, if he can blow past defenders and get in the lane.

I wouldn't. Not at 5'9" unless he has a crazy good 3 point shot with a high release and a reliable floater (ala Drew Lavendar). I don't really care about him getting in the lane. I don't want to rely on a 5'9" guard dribble penetrating. I also think it is pretty hard to be a great defender if you are that short. Let's say he has to guard a 6'3" PG on the opposing team. It would take very little separation for the defender to be able to get his shot off over somebody that small.

I think that is part of our problem against teams with bigger guards with our current back court. Both guys are around 6 feet tall. You put us up against a team with some 6'4" + guards it can be a problem.

At least in recent years our best defenders have pretty much always been guys who are over 6'2" tall.

muskienick
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't. Not at 5'9" unless he has a crazy good 3 point shot with a high release and a reliable floater (ala Drew Lavendar). I don't really care about him getting in the lane. I don't want to rely on a 5'9" guard dribble penetrating. I also think it is pretty hard to be a great defender if you are that short. Let's say he has to guard a 6'3" PG on the opposing team. It would take very little separation for the defender to be able to get his shot off over somebody that small.

I think that is part of our problem against teams with bigger guards with our current back court. Both guys are around 6 feet tall. You put us up against a team with some 6'4" + guards it can be a problem.

At least in recent years our best defenders have pretty much always been guys who are over 6'2" tall.

Give me a Jamie Gladden and Stanly Burrell in the backcourt, a Justin Cage and a Torraye Braggs at the forwards, and Tyrone Hill on the low block (with a decent supporting cast) and I'd be happy to go to bat against anybody.