PDA

View Full Version : Recruits reaction to Saturday

cheeba
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Has anyone heard if any of our incoming recruits have commeneted about what took place saturday?

BBC 08
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Do know they've been using zip em up on twitter and laughing about it.

XU05
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
None of them formerly commented on the matter through an interview or anything like that but I know Semaj, Myles Davis and James Farr were tweeting at each other "Zip Em Up" after the game so they saw what transpired and seemed to like the motto.

boozehound
12-14-2011, 08:02 AM
If anybody is worried about this having a negative impact on recruiting, don't. Recruits aren't going to hold that against us.

oddblob
12-14-2011, 08:03 AM
If anybody is worried about this having a negative impact on recruiting, don't. Recruits aren't going to hold that against us.

Agreed.

ballyhoohoo
12-14-2011, 08:10 AM
If anything this helps recruiting. Kids will see the swagger and realize Xavier doesn't back down, or they will see how ESPN was on our nuts non stop. Good or bad, if ESPN is dedicating time to you recruits will think "if they are important enough for ESPN to discuss they must be big time"

BBC 08
12-14-2011, 08:13 AM
There is a post on the premium forum at Scout from Rick about it. In short, this in a way helps us. If you want to read more, join Scout.

XU-PA
12-14-2011, 08:14 AM
If anything this helps recruiting. Kids will see the swagger and realize Xavier doesn't back down, or they will see how ESPN was on our nuts non stop. Good or bad, if ESPN is dedicating time to you recruits will think "if they are important enough for ESPN to discuss they must be big time"

one way to look at it, the other is from the parents side, which could be negative. Not because of what happened on the floor, rational people understand what happened and have it in context. But a casual viewer, seeing mostly the extensive negatives coming from the mouths of those folks trying to create a moral high ground, might hold a negative thought. It also might give a recruit, who was on the fence, an excuse to hop to the other side.

With that said, I would think that the task over at UC is certainly going to be much, much tougher.

jhelmes37
12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Do you really think a 16 year old will base his college decision on a fight? No. There probably wasn't a single 15-18 year old kid appalled. More likely, it was those kids who said, "Dang, X really sticks up for each other. I'd want guys to have my back like that."

And the "gangster" comment was misconstrued by middle aged white dudes. 16 year old basketball players ate it up, guaranteed.

And when we run the table, people will be talking about how we run our mouths, start fights, back it up, and win championships. Game, set, and match.

In a very weird way, I'm sure this helps us.

CSS85
12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Georgetown got into a big fight in China a few months ago and it didn't stop them from getting a pretty highly rated recruit I know of.

outsideobserver11
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Georgetown got into a big fight in China a few months ago and it didn't stop them from getting a pretty highly rated recruit I know of.

Maybe its the area code rule...If it happened in a different area code then it doesn't count right?

Or better yet, If Xavier just gets into another fight with Dayton (after an on the court ass-kicking of course), then do the two fights just cancel each other out so they never happened?

Really though, I feel like that situation got nowhere near the press that this situation is getting.

boozehound
12-14-2011, 08:49 AM
one way to look at it, the other is from the parents side, which could be negative. Not because of what happened on the floor, rational people understand what happened and have it in context. But a casual viewer, seeing mostly the extensive negatives coming from the mouths of those folks trying to create a moral high ground, might hold a negative thought. It also might give a recruit, who was on the fence, an excuse to hop to the other side.

With that said, I would think that the task over at UC is certainly going to be much, much tougher.

Yeah, but we still have to be more parent-friendly than 90% of the other schools we are competing with for top recruits with Sister Rose and our history of graduating Seniors. I'm not worried about parents steering their kids away from Xavier.

Kahns Krazy
12-14-2011, 09:37 AM

I hear they are all abuzz over how many empty seats there were before the national anthem anyway.

There is a post on the premium forum at Scout from Rick about it. In short, this in a way helps us. If you want to read more, join Scout.

One of the reasons I support this site is so I don't have to read ads in every thread. I don't need your pimping of another site any more than I need the other ads.

BBC 08
12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
One of the reasons I support this site is so I don't have to read ads in every thread. I don't need your pimping of another site any more than I need the other ads.

Sorry that I was trying to protect premium information and promoting a site that a good number of posters here frequent. I'll try to keep my adds down for you.

XULucho27
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I'll try to keep my adds down for you.

Please see that you do.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/files/2010/11/Picture-4.png

Pure Refreshment! (c)

xu95
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Please see that you do.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/housingcomplex/files/2010/11/Picture-4.png

Pure Refreshment! (c)

"and"

http://eat.pikimal.com/files/2010/11/coke-zero.jpg

Xman95
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM

But they didn't land someone like Semaj!!! :D

MADXSTER
12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Recruits, unlike writers, actually play the game. Therefore they know that there is going to be a lot of smack talk and tension. Especially when you're playing in a rivalry game. hence the term "RIVALRY."

STL_XUfan
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Do you really think a 16 year old will base his college decision on a fight?

I wouldn't put it past a 16 y/o to base his decision on just about anything.

GoMuskies
12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
What was the reaction to Sunday?

ChiTownMuskie
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
What was the reaction to Sunday?

I would imagine all four are in the process of breaking their LOI's.

GreatWhiteNorth
12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
I doubt the fight would negatively affect our recruits, but their parents might be a little concerned.

boozehound
12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
I doubt the fight would negatively affect our recruits, but their parents might be a little concerned.

I don't even see that happening honestly.

Just4now
12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
This thread is what continues to be wrong with fans of colleges.

You're more worried about a recruit leaving after the brawl and seem relieved about them joking about the zip em up comment. IS that good? Do we want people like that?

Who does this help us recruit? Are they the type of student athlete we want?

Not a fan.

boozehound
12-20-2011, 07:15 AM
I believe the "not a fan" part...

coasterville95
12-20-2011, 07:48 AM
You may not expect me to take the side of the "Zip Em Up" crew, but think about this:

When dealing with a business or a politician or celebrity - people seem to really apprecaite that they are "down to earth, common people that speak my language.

Put yourself in the shoes of a high school junior basketball star. They may have been drawn to the game for rivalry and big time atmosphere. Then they hear what we thought was the worst press conference ever, and think "Man, not only are they a good team, but they speak my language, I feel like I know them already", closely followed by "And the school lets them talk that way on national TV, this really is a cool program" It may seem perverted, but that whole incident may have just strengthened our bond with potential recruits. Just don't send them anything that even acknowledges the Oral Roberts game ever existed. It was on Fox Sports - maybe the Blue Jackets and Cavs were playing Sunday afternoon hoiday specials!

(Of course once we get them here, we enroll them in Public Speaking 101 : How to represent the university to the Media, along with the other courses that will lead to the development of the student side)

More Cowbell
12-20-2011, 07:50 AM

You're more worried about a recruit leaving after the brawl and seem relieved about them joking about the zip em up comment. IS that good? Do we want people like that?

Not a fan.

We want winners. Personally, I don't want a team of 5 Brad Redfords and Griffin Mckenzies.

XUFan09
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Not a fan.

This has been covered. The "Zip 'em up" comment is common lingo among these kids, the equivalent of "the final nail in the coffin" in the world of basketball. The recruits understand the colloquialisms from the press conference much better than the middle-aged white guys who do most of the reporting.

Just4now
12-21-2011, 07:31 AM
This has been covered. The "Zip 'em up" comment is common lingo among these kids, the equivalent of "the final nail in the coffin" in the world of basketball. The recruits understand the colloquialisms from the press conference much better than the middle-aged white guys who do most of the reporting.

I can see your point but I believe parents will be more negatively influenced by the comments and actions than the players will be drawn into it. The kids that decide the events from the shootout is the reason they are considering X are not the type of kids we would want.

I don't think anyone wants a bunch of Griffens or Brad's (although they are pretty good) but the alternative is not people who want to be gansters.

The last thing most black males want to do is have a thug or gansta title associated with them. Most do not like that title and are deeply offended by it.

UCGRAD4X
12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
The last thing most black males want to do is have a thug or gansta title associated with them. Most do not like that title and are deeply offended by it.

But I do agree that most of them understand what Tu means by the comments and not what the media has self-rightously projected it to be. They may be turned off by the reaction more than the actual events.

Just my opinion...FWTW

Xman95
12-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Then white guys like Tu and Lyons should quit saying that stuff so the black players don't get associated with it.

Honestly, I think just about anyone with an open mind and an understanding of younger athletes can comprehend that "zip em up" is nothing more than a saying to get the team pumped up. As someone else pointed out, it's equal to "put the nail in the coffin."

boozehound
12-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I can see your point but I believe parents will be more negatively influenced by the comments and actions than the players will be drawn into it. The kids that decide the events from the shootout is the reason they are considering X are not the type of kids we would want.

I don't think anyone wants a bunch of Griffens or Brad's (although they are pretty good) but the alternative is not people who want to be gansters.

Is that why every single rap song ever is about being a thug or a gangsta?

BBC 08
12-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Is that why every single rap song ever is about being a thug or a gangsta?

It's actually all about being a Goblin now. WOLF GANG!!!