PDA

View Full Version : "Hit him, Ernie. You're from Dremen Street."

Muskie
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Xavierhoops.com is very excited to welcome wkrq59 to the writing team. Those of you familiar with wkrq's style will welcome his insight, and wit, and pure love for Xavier basketball.

"Hit him, Ernie. You're from Dremen Street."
by: wkrq59

Those words might mean little or nothing to Xavier alums from Appleton, Wisc., or those living in California or Florida or for that matter, anywhere but the west side of Cincinnati.
But to those who love Empress or Camp Washington Chili, the primordial ooze pre-Skyline or Gold Star, they might have heard grampa muse about those days. "Hit him Ernie..." was a way of saying "Kid, you're from the west side and you're tough. You're a man. Act like it."

I thought of that phrase when I read and later saw (an edited version albeit) on TV, the words of St. Joseph's basketball coach Phil Martelli giving Musketeers' guard Stanley Burrell his due.

"When's graduation? asked Martelli, smiling. ......"I want to be there to make sure that SOB Burrell graduates."

Seldom has so little said by a coach whose team has just suffered a heart-breaking defeat created so much controversy among a few bloggers on Xavier internet sites. Some were actually irate. Others were downright defensive. Most were amused. Burrell took it as flattery, a compliment. (continue reading (http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1922)).