PDA

View Full Version : Did Roe Vs. Wade Fail us demographically?

Snipe
12-01-2011, 10:25 AM
At the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of.

Did Row vs Wade fail in stemming the demographic tide?

Porkopolis
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Woah. It's been a while since you started one of those threads. I can only hope this will top even "Amazing Jews" in scope.

XU 87
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
From a legal perspecitve, Roe v. Wade is one of the worst decisions of all time. The decision consisted of a bunch of liberal judges who wanted to legalize abortion and then figured out how to do it via the U.S. Constitution.

In law school, my Constituional law professor was a liberal. But even he once remarked, "For those of you who like this decision, how can you defend it? A lot of smart people ridicule this decision, not because they are anti-abortion, but because they think the decision has absolutely no basis in law."

bobbiemcgee
12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
53 million people will never get to express their opinion, but sadly, we know how they would vote.

Kahns Krazy
12-01-2011, 12:32 PM
[ font=sarcasm]At least your response choices have no bias to them...[ /font]

Roach
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
For the record, Levitt's study has been consistently shown to suffer from all of the most common errors of economic regression analysis - serial correlation, specification bias, heteroskedasticity, multicollinearity, etc. In fact, from what I've read, the brokenness of his modeling results are so severe that it's a wonder he was ever able to publish his work. Perhaps he had an agenda to propagate his theory, irrespective of the soundness of his model ...

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
[ font=sarcasm]At least your response choices have no bias to them...[ /font]

This is easily the worst poll that I have ever posted (in my opinion) for a few reasons. I intended to have some bias in the answers, like voting for abortion and then coupling that with saying that killing a fetus is an essential human right.

That bias was intended because at the end of it, abortion is about the human right to kill a fetus. "Pro Choice" advocates don't crouch the argument in those terms for a reason. Semantics is key in the fight. They can say they are "Pro-Choice" but that doesn't mean that they are pro choice when it comes to school choice, or pro-choice when it comes to having a legitimate third party candidate. Pro-Choice means that they want women to have the right to kill a young fetus on demand. That bias was intended. It is interesting to note that most people that are "Pro-Choice" when it comes to killing children are not "Pro-Choice" when it comes to educating them with school vouchers. I like to joke when asked if I am "Pro-Choice" that I am all for school vouchers. As you can tell I am always the life of the party.

So I intended some bias, but if I could I would just scrap the whole poll question. It was bad on many levels. For one thing, the question was "Did Roe Vs. Wade Fail it’s Objectives?" Now you could agree or disagree with abortion and still have an alternate answer for whether Roe accomplished it's objectives. And answers #3 and #4 don't even chime in with the actual question that I asked. It is just horribly put and that is on me. Big fail for the Snipeman with the whole question.

I threw it together in a haphazard way at the last minute, and I think it detracts from what I was tying to get at.

My original post started with this statement:

At the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of.

Did Row vs Wade fail in stemming the demographic tide?

I was curious to find out what people thought about that statement and that question, and I think all my poll did was screw everything up. I think I f-ed up the whole post because my poll was going to be based upon that statement: "At the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
From a legal perspecitve, Roe v. Wade is one of the worst decisions of all time. The decision consisted of a bunch of liberal judges who wanted to legalize abortion and then figured out how to do it via the U.S. Constitution.

In law school, my Constituional law professor was a liberal. But even he once remarked, "For those of you who like this decision, how can you defend it? A lot of smart people ridicule this decision, not because they are anti-abortion, but because they think the decision has absolutely no basis in law."

I would agree that Roe v. Wade is bad law and a horrible decision just based upon the United States Constitution. "How can you defend it" indeed. I think it would be better off left to the states. I don't think abortion should be legal or illegal on a national scale, just let every state or even every community decide. It would get the issue out of our national elections. People in California will want to go one way, people in Utah will go another, and everyone else gets to decide for themselves locally. I think that would be a lot better than what we have. Overturning Roe v. Wade would not make abortion illegal, it would only send it back to the states.

I am not a fan of abortion, and I would never kill my own children. Unless they were subhuman. Or unless my wife was raped. Most people have some contingency they like to throw in there.

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
53 million people will never get to express their opinion, but sadly, we know how they would vote.

We don't know how they would vote. Flawed as it is the poll has many different outcomes. After Roe was decided every person voting could have been legally aborted. Not every person born after is against abortion.

smileyy
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
There wasn't a poll option for "Legalize post-partum abortions for ethnics."

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
For the record, Levitt's study has been consistently shown to suffer from all of the most common errors of economic regression analysis - serial correlation, specification bias, heteroskedasticity, multicollinearity, etc. In fact, from what I've read, the brokenness of his modeling results are so severe that it's a wonder he was ever able to publish his work. Perhaps he had an agenda to propagate his theory, irrespective of the soundness of his model ...

I would agree with that, in fact here is an article on that subject.

Did Legalizing Abortion Cut Crime? (http://www.isteve.com/abortion.htm)

by Steve Sailer (http://isteve.blogspot.com/)

In our August 1999 debate in Slate, I pointed out to Levitt that the national-level homicide data easily available on federal government websites showed that his theory had radically failed the test of history: the first cohort born after the legalization of abortion had a homicide rate as 14-17 year olds triple that of the last cohort born before legalization.

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
There wasn't a poll option for "Legalize post-partum abortions for ethnics."

It didn't occur to me that would be a popular choice.

bobbiemcgee
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
We don't know how they would vote. Flawed as it is the poll has many different outcomes. After Roe was decided every person voting could have been legally aborted. Not every person born after is against abortion.

So you're saying as fetuses, they would opt for suicide.

Snipe
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
So you're saying as fetuses, they would opt for suicide.

No I am saying that if they were not aborted they still might favor abortion, as many people do. Many people not aborted favor aborting other people.

Snipe
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM
So now with the horrible poll question detracting from the muck I intended to create I will fess up:

"Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don't want to have too many of." ~ Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Read more: Ginsburg: I thought Roe was to rid undesirables (http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=103457#ixzz1fJpD1SEc)

That statement that I made in the first post was actually a quote from Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Some of you probably noticed. I was going to post it as my own and see who attacked me for being a Nazi. Then I was going to reveal that it wasn't me, but a quote from a liberal Jewish woman who happens to be the biggest leftist on the United States Supreme Court. My botched poll question that I threw together foiled my plans to say "A-Ha!" and then pontificate off of my soap box.

I do think that if a conservative politician said such things they would never have a future in politics. I don't think it would be accepted if any conservative public figure would come out and say that publicly. I think that they would be banned from polite society.

So much for my little gimmick though. I think I got to cute and shot myself in the foot with a poll at the last minute. I apologize for wasting all of your time and mine. The way I dreamt it all up it was all going to work out nicely. So much for that.

Smails
12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
and away we go...

http://www.brandautopsy.com/images/old/6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

DC Muskie
12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Does the airport in Kentucky have anything to do with this? If not, let's figure out a way to blame them.

THRILLHOUSE
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q282/The_Bread/Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-.gif