PDA

View Full Version : Carson Palmer to the Raiders??

nuts4xu
10-18-2011, 09:20 AM
For a couple first round draft picks. Could be a blockbuster trade deadline deal.

ESPN is just breaking into programming. Details to follow.

Chris Mortenson is on it!

Muskie
10-18-2011, 09:27 AM
A nice pick up for the Raiders and a nice way for this to end peacefully in Cincy. It's time for Mike Brown to let Palmer go. Your franchise QB played on Sunday.

drudy23
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
My "sources" tell me tomorrow is Friday. I don't believe it.

JimmyTwoTimes37
10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
The spirit of Al Davis lives!

Two first round picks for a past his prime QB that hasn't played this year and is injury prone...I'll take it!

bobbiemcgee
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
The spirit of Al Davis lives!

Two first round picks for a past his prime QB that hasn't played this year and is injury prone...I'll take it!

Two 1st rounders for Poutboy would be theft!

LutherRackleyRulez
10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Per usual,

Jay Glazer --- not the Mothership

was the person who actually broke this story

on Dan Patrick Show earlier this AM....

Bengals on verge of dealing Palmer

The Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders are very close to a deal that would send the former Cincy starting quarterback to Oakland to take the place of injured Jason Campbell in exchange for a first-round pick in 2012 and a future second-round pick that could escalate to a first-rounder based on his play.

Palmer demanded a trade at the end of last season, threatening retirement. Until now, Bengals owner Mike Brown was insistent upon making the latter his course of action.

However, former Bengals assistant (and current Raiders head coach) Hue Jackson has been working on Brown, as the two have a close relationship.

Brown may finally decide the pot is too sweet to pass up.

The deal is expected to be done by Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline.

Campbell was injured in Sunday's 24-17 win vs. the Cleveland Browns. The Raiders' starting QB underwent surgery for a broken collarbone on Monday, and is expected to miss a minimum of six weeks.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-carson-palmer-near-deal-with-oakland-raiders-101811

Kahns Krazy
10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I didn't think the Raiders had first round draft picks to give? How far out does this go?

Edit: I see that the future pick is still in limbo. If it's based on Carson's play, I'm not counting on anything there.

I think you have to score that as a win for Mikey, hate him or not (I do). He waited until his rookie quarterback had shown he could take the helm, and until someone else was more desperate than he was. If Brown wasn't so hated, this would be hailed as a brilliant move.

Of course, history says we are likely to draft two more losers or snakebitten stars, but this trade today is a win.

nuts4xu
10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Sounds like it will be a first round pick next season, leaving the Raiders with no picks until the 5th round. AND a conditional pick in the 2013 draft that could also be a first round pick.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7118158/oakland-raiders-verge-getting-carson-palmer-cincinnati-bengals-sources-say

XU 87
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
The Raiders have a first for next year but no 2, 3 or 4. (I see Nuts posted this right before me).

But Carson would be leaving one dysfunctional organization for another. But with Davis gone, that may change.

nuts4xu
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
John Clayton reports the Raiders will be down to just the 5th and 6th round picks in the draft next year.

Talking about going for broke!

Muskie
10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
And It's official.

chico
10-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Mike Brown never would have done this deal if there wasn't a clamp down on rookie contracts. That being said, it's refreshing to see the Bengals do the smart thing for once.

nuts4xu
10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I love it. The core of this team is young, and we how have 2 first round picks next season.

The Raiders will rue the day!!

Let's just hope Palmer passes the physical and nothing holds up this trade.

Kahns Krazy
10-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Mike Brown never would have done this deal if there wasn't a clamp down on rookie contracts. That being said, it's refreshing to see the Bengals do the smart thing for once.

You say this as though Oakland isn't aware of the value of the deal they are offering.

gladdenguy
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Ah, there is one day out of one year where I can say the Bengals aren't the idiots of the league. I would have taken a seventh rounder for the bum that Palmer is. And the Bengals got a first rounder for a guy with not an ounce of leadership, a horrible arm, no mobility, and no confidence. Gotta love the Raiders.

See ya Ginger Palmer. You always did suck.

Tardy Turtle
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
The only acceptable reaction to this news for a Bengals fan:

http://www.fashion-writings.com/img/vo/other-guy-in-jizzed-in-my-pants/I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

ArizonaXUGrad
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Too bad you can't use those first round picks to get an offensive coordinator that can actually call plays. I got stuck with Cedric Benson on my fantasy team this year and it's painful to watch the Bengels. Their play calling is horrendous.

Muskied
10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Too bad you can't use those first round picks to get an offensive coordinator that can actually call plays. I got stuck with Cedric Benson on my fantasy team this year and it's painful to watch the Bengels. Their play calling is horrendous.

why, because they can't run the ball? It's called teams are loading up to stop the run, Daring Dalton and inexperienced WR's to beat them.....and they are. Screw your fantasy team, Gruden is the man.

drudy23
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM

?????????????

boozehound
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Ah, there is one day out of one year where I can say the Bengals aren't the idiots of the league. I would have taken a seventh rounder for the bum that Palmer is. And the Bengals got a first rounder for a guy with not an ounce of leadership, a horrible arm, no mobility, and no confidence. Gotta love the Raiders.

See ya Ginger Palmer. You always did suck.

In all fairness, Andy Dalton is way more of a ginger than Carson Palmer. That dude is a full-on ginger. Palmer is more of a half-ginger.

I'm not surprised someone gave a first rounder for Palmer. All it takes is one team that desparately needs a QB and believes that they can get him back to his 2005 form. It's not like Palmer is Ryan Leaf. He was a good QB at one point in time. The injuries he has sustained may very well prevent him from returning to anywhere close to 2005 form, but a team with no QB is willing to take that chance. Also, Oakland is the same team that drafted JaMarcus Russell, so their QB evaluation is suspect at best.

I'm glad the Bengals got something good for Palmer. I am also curious to see how he plays for Oakland.

chico
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
You say this as though Oakland isn't aware of the value of the deal they are offering.

Oakland's made some curious football decisions the past several years - they do appear to be doing well this year, though (but then again, so are the Bengals). They may know the value of their picks, but I think they overvalued Palmer. Maybe, though, they felt they had to overpay in order to get a starting qb for a team that looks like a playoff contender.

Or maybe the ghost of George Allen is really inhabiting that franchise and they're just trading all their draft picks.

Juice
10-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Oakland's made some curious football decisions the past several years - they do appear to be doing well this year, though (but then again, so are the Bengals). They may know the value of their picks, but I think they overvalued Palmer. Maybe, though, they felt they had to overpay in order to get a starting qb for a team that looks like a playoff contender.

Or maybe the ghost of George Allen is really inhabiting that franchise and they're just trading all their draft picks.

I bet they knew the value of Palmer was much lower but they had to overpay to get Mike Brown to agree to trade him. If Brown was going to get the same value now as he would in the off season, he definitely wouldn't have done anything.

bobbiemcgee
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Hoping Raiders make the playoffs giving us 2nd !st rounder, then face Bengals:D

ThrowDownDBrown
10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Raiders have to win a playoff game to make it a first rounder

waggy
10-18-2011, 12:55 PM
The Raiders probably have enough talent to win it all, they just need a QB. They are great on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. McFadden is my favorite back in league. But as tough as the league is on running backs, the window is likely small. He'll probably never be better than he is right now, and he's just in year 2 I think. They are a bit weak at WR, but if they can run the ball they can get around that. Janikowski is unreal.

xavierj
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
The Raiders probably have enough talent to win it all, they just need a QB. They are great on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. McFadden is my favorite back in league. But as tough as the league is on running backs, the window is likely small. He'll probably never be better than he is right now, and he's just in year 2 I think. They are a bit weak at WR, but if they can run the ball they can get around that. Janikowski is unreal.

Yeah well they got Palmer so they still need a QB. I hope Ocho gets the boot and ends up signing in Oakland. Then they can pick up Housurmomma. Those 3 deserve each other. Three bums who couldn't lead air out of a paper bag with holes in it.

THRILLHOUSE
10-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Its McFadden's fourth year, but only his 2nd year of being healhy (so far anyway)

XUOWNSUC
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Raiders have to win a playoff game to make it a first rounder

It won't happen, but imagine if the first round playoff game is Cincinnati at Oakland.

gladdenguy
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
In all fairness, Andy Dalton is way more of a ginger than Carson Palmer. That dude is a full-on ginger. Palmer is more of a half-ginger.

Andy Dalton is 10x the Ginger, the man, and the leader than Carson Palmer.

Carson Palmer is a ginger but a sucky one.

bleedXblue
10-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Bengals got a SWEET deal.

Are you kidding me ?

Two first rounders for a guy who was never a leader and is on the downside of his playing ability ?

Thank you very much Oakland.

boozehound
10-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Andy Dalton is 10x the Ginger, the man, and the leader than Carson Palmer.

Carson Palmer is a ginger but a sucky one.

I wish I could rep you for that. Nice response.

vee4xu
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
As a Browns fan, let me just say you are welcome. If it wasn't for Scott Fujita pile driving Jason Campbell into the Oakland Alameda County Stadium turf, then there would been no deal to be had with Hue, the only person with whom Mike Brown would have dealt with regarding Carson. ;)

THRILLHOUSE
10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
As a Browns fan, let me just say you are welcome. If it wasn't for Scott Fujita pile driving Jason Campbell into the Oakland Alameda County Stadium turf, then there would been no deal to be had with Hue, the only person with whom Mike Brown would have dealt with regarding Carson. ;)

I don't wish injury on players...but I'm certainly not complaining about this one! Thanks Scott!

Fireball
10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
The Bengals fleeced the Raiders on this deal. I honestly didn't know that Mike Brown had it in him, but maybe Mikey was consulting with Jocketty on loan from the Reds to save some cash on a real GM. Why hire one when you can rent one in the offseason?

Seriously, though...this couldn't have turned out better for the Bengals. They wouldn't have gotten anything near this from any team during training camp. The Cardinals gave up what, a 3rd rounder for Kolb? Very nice job by Brown, and we rarely get to say that. We may never get to say that again.

waggy
10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Raiders pay homage to Al Davis' imfamous trade work with all-time boneheader.

danaandvictory
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
The Bengals fleeced the Raiders on this deal. I honestly didn't know that Mike Brown had it in him, but maybe Mikey was consulting with Jocketty on loan from the Reds to save some cash on a real GM. Why hire one when you can rent one in the offseason?

I'm not a Mike Brown fan and I generally hate the management of the Bengals. But this literally could not have gone any better, and they deserve credit for this happening on their watch.

Still, there's part of me that questions whether the Bengals had anything to do with this deal arising. It's a perfect storm of the Raiders' desperation coupled with Campbell's injury that put this in motion. I can't believe that the Bengals took the hard line with Carson because they foresaw this chain of events. I take Mike Brown at his word that he refused Palmer's trade request out of principle.

That said, when this opportunity arose the Bengals grabbed it and held on for dear life. Good for them. The off-field management of the team seems as rudderless and out of touch as ever but at least the on-field product appears to be turning a corner.

Nigel Tufnel
10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm not a Mike Brown fan and I generally hate the management of the Bengals. But this literally could not have gone any better, and they deserve credit for this happening on their watch.

Still, there's part of me that questions whether the Bengals had anything to do with this deal arising. It's a perfect storm of the Raiders' desperation coupled with Campbell's injury that put this in motion. I can't believe that the Bengals took the hard line with Carson because they foresaw this chain of events. I take Mike Brown at his word that he refused Palmer's trade request out of principle.

That said, when this opportunity arose the Bengals grabbed it and held on for dear life. Good for them. The off-field management of the team seems as rudderless and out of touch as ever but at least the on-field product appears to be turning a corner.

Agreed. I give Brown all the credit in the world for pulling the trigger....but he fell backasswards into this one.

sirthought
10-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Watch, Palmer is now going to turn into a bad ass now that's he's in his home state, playing in Oakland, and has an offensive coordinator that isn't making life so complicated.

I'm happy for the Bengals. I'm happy for Palmer.

Let's continue to stock pile the great young talent and keep the team hungry.

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Agreed. I give Brown all the credit in the world for pulling the trigger....but he fell backasswards into this one.

I'd say it was more like drawing to an inside straight, hitting it on the river and having the river card also give your opponent 3 of a kind. It's basically exactly what he was hoping for, but it's not really part of an overall winning strategy.

Snipe
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
If you are rooting for that second 1st round pick like I am you are now rooting for Carson Palmer. I wouldn't have said that before yesterday, but Go Carson!

I feel great about the Bengals. Had they dropped to 3-3 with a loss to the winless Colts, I would feel lousy about them. With the bye week I get an additional week of feeling good about them while College Hoops starts up and starts to get in gear with Musketeer Madness. That one game means a lot for my sporting mindset.

I hope Carson plays and plays well this weekend.

Kudos to Mike Brown, and the real thanks that made Carson expendable, young Mr. Dalton. The kid looks to have a bright future. I want two first round draft picks.

On the other side of this, if Oakland really goes in the tank we could get a premium first round draft pick. That would be fun to watch too. I guess we want Carson to either play top shelf or rock bottom. Either way would be fine with me.

THRILLHOUSE
10-19-2011, 08:06 AM
If you are rooting for that second 1st round pick like I am you are now rooting for Carson Palmer. I wouldn't have said that before yesterday, but Go Carson!

I feel great about the Bengals. Had they dropped to 3-3 with a loss to the winless Colts, I would feel lousy about them. With the bye week I get an additional week of feeling good about them while College Hoops starts up and starts to get in gear with Musketeer Madness. That one game means a lot for my sporting mindset.

I hope Carson plays and plays well this weekend.

Kudos to Mike Brown, and the real thanks that made Carson expendable, young Mr. Dalton. The kid looks to have a bright future. I want two first round draft picks.

On the other side of this, if Oakland really goes in the tank we could get a premium first round draft pick. That would be fun to watch too. I guess we want Carson to either play top shelf or rock bottom. Either way would be fine with me.

Its a win-win situation for the bengals. If Carson sucks get a high 1st rd pick in 12 and a 2nd rd pick in 13 still isnt bad, Dalton, Rey and Dunlap were our last three 2nd rd picks. But if he does well and gets a playoff W then we get another first rd pick. So I'm mostly indifferent about how he plays. Not gonna "root" for him, at this point he is a qb on another afc playoff contender, he is an enemy.

mohr5150
10-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I want the Raiders to suck this year and suck worse next year. That way, we get a high first round pick in 2012 and a high second round pick in 2013.

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2011, 10:05 AM

I am rooting for this one. I really hope quitter crybaby just gets pummeled. The secondaries for KC, Denver and SD really have to be salivating about this. How many pick 6's can Carson throw in 10 games?

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Doesn't really look in this picture like Palmer has been staying in football shape since January. Are they planning to start him this weekend?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfl_image_74245.jpg

drudy23
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Doesn't really look in this picture like Palmer has been staying in football shape since January. Are they planning to start him this weekend?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfl_image_74245.jpg

He kind of looks emaciated. Definitely not as fat in the face.

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
He looks a little Ken Broo-ish. I don't think that phrase has ever been used as a compliment, and it still hasn't.

http://www.wlwt.com/2008/1219/18316824_200X150.jpg

Kahns Krazy
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
He kind of looks emaciated. Definitely not as fat in the face.

Maybe that Raider's black is just really slimming. I gotta get me some of that.

Kahns Krazy
10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
I could not possibly be enjoying Carson's pick 6 debut any more. I scared my neighbors I'm laughing so hard. I was still out of breath when he threw his second pick. He's thrown 2 other balls that really should have been picked too.

nuts4xu
10-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Hahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

Hahaha!!

Can't stop laughing! That is the Palmer we have seen for 3 years!!

And we got a first and a second round pick for that piece of crap??

3 picks, one for a TD....I love it.

GoMuskies
10-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Palmer was still probably better than Boller. Boller took terrible to a whole new level.

gladdenguy
10-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Thank you Oakland!!!
Receivers ran the wrong routes..............Bullshit. The guy sucks. Arm like Raggedy Ann, can't move......couldn't lead a bull out of a stable.
Cincinnati was so generous to his garbage ass. Oakland will tear him a new one.

Perma Fro
10-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Carson B L O W S. Today shows how Mikey finally stole one.

boozehound
10-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Hahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

Hahaha!!

Can't stop laughing! That is the Palmer we have seen for 3 years!!

And we got a first and a second round pick for that piece of crap??

3 picks, one for a TD....I love it.

It really makes you wonder what they were thinking. They gave up a first round pick for an aging QB that hasn't had anything close to a good season in 3+ years for 1/2 of the season. Even if he ends up being a decent QB I'm sure it will take a few weeks for him to get his timing down with his receivers, O-Line, etc. The amount that they were willing to give in the middle of the season for Palmer suggests that they have a "this is the year" mentality. I don't see that happening.

drudy23
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I could have jumped the pick 6 he threw. It was just an awful pass...it was almost like he was in slow motion. He looked 5 steps too slow.

boozehound
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I could have jumped the pick 6 he threw. It was just an awful pass...it was almost like he was in slow motion. He looked 5 steps too slow.

I agree that he didn't look like he was "football ready". The guy has basically been with the Raiders for a week. He probably isn't back in football shape yet. I'm a little surprised that they even played him this week, but I guess when your other option is Kyle Boller you don't really have a plan B.

xu95
10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
It really makes you wonder what they were thinking. They gave up a first round pick for an aging QB that hasn't had anything close to a good season in 3+ years for 1/2 of the season. Even if he ends up being a decent QB I'm sure it will take a few weeks for him to get his timing down with his receivers, O-Line, etc. The amount that they were willing to give in the middle of the season for Palmer suggests that they have a "this is the year" mentality. I don't see that happening.

I'm not sure about that. Jason Campbell only has a contract through this year. I expect Carson will be the fulltime starter next season since he still has four years left on his contract.

xu95

Snipe
10-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Boy was that horrible. I was rooting for Carson to come in and make the comeback just to make Sunday afternoon interesting. My oldest son was rooting for him and had to turn the TV off.

That was flat out horrible. Doesn't surprise me either. Even though I was rooting for him, I didn't take it so bad when he choked. I have seen that before. They were booing Boller, just wait until they get a hold of Suckjob Palmer and realizing they just blew two high draft picks.

I am not the biggest fan of Palmer, though not really a hater either. I was rooting for him just for the fun of it. I remember when he was the best QB in the league in my estimation, before the Kimo nightmare.

His first completion looked a lot like that play, and that probably shook him up. It brought me back some bad memories too. I hate the Steelers. I really don't like them.

I don't feel sorry for Carson. He has plenty of coin. I am always going to be bitter about Kimo though. Carson really was a world class gun slinger before the fall. I think Oakland just got used and abused by Mike Brown in that trade. Kudos for that. Things are going so well right now that we even won during the bye week. When was the last time this team went a month without a loss in the regular season? And I expected so little (and still don't expect that much). It is nice.

I like our rookie QB. Other teams in the NFL have nice runs from time to time, might as well be us for the next few years. What a breath of fresh air that would be.

danaandvictory
10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
As Snipe notes, it was pretty crazy that Palmer got hit low on his first play, thereby drawing a personal foul flag under the Carson Palmer Rule.

boozehound
10-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Glad he's gone

Can we go ahead and ban this moron? He obviously is not a Xavier fan, and has way too much time on his hands.

Based on the content of his posts, and the fact that he misspelled "Luciano Pavarotti" in his name, I am going to guess he is a UC fan.

GoMuskies
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
lUCy lasted longer than I expected him to. It's like the mods aren't patrolling this board every second of every day. What's up with that?!?

Fred Garvin 2.0
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Can we go ahead and ban this moron? He obviously is not a Xavier fan, and has way too much time on his hands.

Based on the content of his posts, and the fact that he misspelled "Luciano Pavarotti" in his name, I am going to guess he is a UC fan.

Why would you guess he's a U.C. fan? Do you feel Xavier fans are, on the whole, more intelligent?

boozehound
10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Why would you guess he's a U.C. fan? Do you feel Xavier fans are, on the whole, more intelligent?

I do feel Xavier fans are more intelligent than any of our rival fan bases. I may be a bit biased though.

The reason that I guessed he was a UC fan was because several of his posts referenced either UC or the Big East's superiority over the A10 or Xavier. Seems like a rhetoric more befitting of a UC fan than a UD fan.

GoMuskies
11-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Carson managed to make Tebow look good by comparison today.

Fireball
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm rooting for Carson, but he certainly isn't helping the Raiders a whole lot right now. Two games played for the Raiders and 6 picks thrown. Ouch.

Palmer was brought in to save their season, and he's just not going to do that. Tough position for him to be in.

xubball1993
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I thought Carson was a huge disappointment - I'm glad he's gone.

The more he stinks it up at Oakland, the higher draft pick we get next year.

Jumpy
11-07-2011, 08:47 AM

?

This has me confused. The Bengals get a first round pick in next year's draft no matter what happens this year. The conditional 2013 pick is a 2nd rounder unless The Raiders win one playoff game (orsomething like that) this year.

Either way, how would him performing poorly in Oakland equate to a higher draft pick for the Bengals?

paulxu
11-07-2011, 08:49 AM

I thought it was the other way around. If Oakland makes the playoffs, then the 2nd round pick in 2013 becomes a 1st round pick.

Edit: Sorry Jumpy. Was typing my post I guess as you were posting.

chico
11-07-2011, 08:56 AM
If Oakland tanks it this year, the first rounder next year will be better because of their bad record. Bengals will get 2nd rounder in 2013 but the 2012 pick will be better. If Oakland makes the playoffs this year and wins a game, their draft position in next year's draft will be worse.

Maybe we hope they win a game in the playoffs this year and go 4-12 the following year.

THRILLHOUSE
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
?

This has me confused. The Bengals get a first round pick in next year's draft no matter what happens this year. The conditional 2013 pick is a 2nd rounder unless The Raiders win one playoff game (orsomething like that) this year.

Either way, how would him performing poorly in Oakland equate to a higher draft pick for the Bengals?

if carson leads the Raiders to the AFC championship this year or next year the 2013 2nd rd pick becomes a first rd pick. The 2012 pick is first rd no matter what, so if the raiders suck the rest of this season the bengals should have a high first round pick in the 2012 draft

Jumpy
11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Alright, now I'm getting his point.

In the long run, it makes sense for all of us Bengals fans to cheer our arses off for the Raiders. I'd rather have two first round picks (even if one is late first round) than a middle 1st rounder and a second rounder.

I hope Palmer plays lights out for the rest of the year. He's gotten his two bad games out of the way, now its time to start playing like a Pro Bowler.

Snipe
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I was going to root for Carson if he did well. Talk about a fair weather fan. Now that he sucks again I am rooting for that too. Let's get a better draft pick. Screw Oakland.

I am glad he is gone. He was the man until the Steelers did the dirty deed. He was the gunslinger. Now I am happy with him away, two drafts picks and the young stud Dalton.

The Bengals have me going off right now. We can beat the Steelers.

xu95
11-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm rooting for Carson, but he certainly isn't helping the Raiders a whole lot right now. Two games played for the Raiders and 6 picks thrown. Ouch.

Palmer was brought in to save their season, and he's just not going to do that. Tough position for him to be in.

Obviously his receivers are running the wrong routes.

xu95

xsteve1
11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I was going to root for Carson if he did well. Talk about a fair weather fan. Now that he sucks again I am rooting for that too. Let's get a better draft pick. Screw Oakland.

I am glad he is gone. He was the man until the Steelers did the dirty deed. He was the gunslinger. Now I am happy with him away, two drafts picks and the young stud Dalton.

Any Dalton is the truth. Just a gamer and a leader.

bobbiemcgee
11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I got a free 90 day preview of NFL Red Zone. Gotta say I'm hooked. Can see Carson fail and Dalton succeed on one screen. I swear they showed about 90% of the Bengals game which I don't get in Fla. ever. No commercials and no timeouts. Just non stop big plays/scoring. You can dvr the whole day and watch what you want. Awesome.

paulxu
11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Well played Bobbie. 90 days from now the NFL is in hibernation...so free best part of the season for you.
I'm pretty sure that's not an option here in Sparkle City.

gladdenguy
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Obviously his receivers are running the wrong routes.

xu95

And his offensive line is the worst in football.

Fred Garvin 2.0
11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I was going to root for Carson if he did well. Talk about a fair weather fan. Now that he sucks again I am rooting for that too. Let's get a better draft pick. Screw Oakland. I am glad he is gone. He was the man until the Steelers did the dirty deed. He was the gunslinger. Now I am happy with him away, two drafts picks and the young stud Dalton.

I thought our 2 became a 1 if Oakland wins a playoff game. So you'd rather have a better one pick. I guess that does give us less room for error.

ThrowDownDBrown
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
The Raiders have to make the AFC championship game for that second pick to become a first rounder, no chance that is happening this year. So because of that, and because Palmer is a huge bitch, I am rooting for his complete and utter failure. Hope the Raiders lose out and we get as high a draft pick as possible

waggy
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
A high 1st rounder, and then a high 2nd rounder would work. It's conceivable that the pick next year could be in the top 10.

waggy
01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Looks like the Bengals pick from Oakland will be #17.

Porkopolis
01-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Looks like the Bengals pick from Oakland will be #17.

At least this looks to be a solid draft. Not as high as I'd hoped but still a nice place to pick up some help on defense.

waggy
01-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Seems like the Bengals have had some tough luck in the 1st round. Perry got injured and never really got going. Pollack got injured like the first play of his career. Joseph leaves via free agency. I'm sure there are more.

The Sporting News mock draft has them taking a safety.

Porkopolis
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
The Sporting News mock draft has them taking a safety.

Makes sense. Crocker is solid but after that it gets really thin at safety. As for the first round luck, Green and Gresham have worked out pretty well. Maybe that luck is beginning to change.

Jumpy
01-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Makes sense. Crocker is solid but after that it gets really thin at safety. As for the first round luck, Green and Gresham have worked out pretty well. Maybe that luck is beginning to change.

Over the past four drafts, the only pick in the top two rounds to not pan out is Keith Rivers. I guess the jury is still out on Maualuga in a way, but the rest have been solid contributors:

2008: Keith Rivers, Jerome Simpson
2009: Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga
2010: Jermaine Gresham, Carlos Dunlap
2011: AJ Green, Andy Dalton

xavierj
01-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Over the past four drafts, the only pick in the top two rounds to not pan out is Keith Rivers. I guess the jury is still out on Maualuga in a way, but the rest have been solid contributors:

And Keith Rivers has missed a year and a half due to injuries. I think Ward might have ruined his career.

THRILLHOUSE
01-04-2012, 07:00 AM
And Keith Rivers has missed a year and a half due to injuries. I think Ward might have ruined his career.

the injury that cost Rivers 2011 season was not football related. I loathe Hines Ward, but I dont blame him for Rivers not being as good as I thought he would be.

bleedXblue
01-04-2012, 07:07 AM
IMHO, you should never take a linebacker in the 1st round unless he's an absolute beast. You can really only name a few worthy of that pick....

XUOWNSUC
01-04-2012, 07:19 AM
IMHO, you should never take a linebacker in the 1st round unless he's an absolute beast. You can really only name a few worthy of that pick....

You are absolutely correct in this opinion. You can find good LBs (and RBs) in the middle rounds. No need to waste a 1st rounder on them unless the guy is a can't miss once in a lifetime kind of player. Very few are that kind of player.

pizza delivery
01-04-2012, 08:30 AM
That would have been a year to start picking up better D Lineman, or OL, or RB, but LB was a need and they went for it. Who knows, maybe Rivers bounces back and has added some strength. For being a longer LB, he certainly wasn't a great cover guy.

XU 87
01-04-2012, 08:36 AM
the injury that cost Rivers 2011 season was not football related.

How did he get hurt?

THRILLHOUSE
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
How did he get hurt?

it was never announced how it happened. Right before training camp he had to get surgery on his wrist and the bengals placed him on the non-football injury list. http://mobile.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/29/2303679/bengals-confirm-wrist-surgery-place-linebacker-keith-rivers-on-non

Porkopolis
01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Off topic, but Keith Rivers is my next door neighbor. He is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth guys you could imagine meeting. I really hope he avoids the injury bug next year.

RealDeal
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't call Jerome Simpson a solid contributor yet. In 4 NFL seasons he has 1,000 yards and 7 TDs. The flip was great but he had done nothing until this year. If he can keep it going next year then ok. Same with Smith to a slightly lesser degree, he's another broken foot from being done.

gladdenguy
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.derfmagazine.com/news/sports/carson-palmer-oakland-raiders-bengals-playoffs

Carson Palmer leads Bengals to playoffs. Just awesome.

XU 87
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
It's a good thing that the Raider's receiver ran the wrong route on that last interception Carson threw.

gladdenguy
01-04-2012, 02:31 PM
It's a good thing that the Raider's receiver ran the wrong route on that last interception Carson threw.

Hahaha. Or they had the worst offensive line in football.

Jumpy
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't call Jerome Simpson a solid contributor yet. In 4 NFL seasons he has 1,000 yards and 7 TDs. The flip was great but he had done nothing until this year. If he can keep it going next year then ok. Same with Smith to a slightly lesser degree, he's another broken foot from being done.

You're kidding right? In the 17 games he's started in the past season and a half, he's had 70 catches for 1000 yards and 7 TDs. That is nothing to sneeze at. I know it took him a long time to finally break the starting lineup, but now that he's here he isn't going anywhere for a while.

bigdiggins
01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
The Oakland Raiders fired coach Hue Jackson after hiring Reggie McKenzie as their new general manager, ESPN reports, citing an unidentified National Football League official.

The Raiders had an 8-8 record in their first season under Jackson, losing four of their final five games to miss the playoffs after a 7-4 start. Oakland hasn’t been to the playoffs since losing the Super Bowl after the 2002 season.

Jackson had handled most of the Raiders’ player personnel decisions since owner Al Davis died in October, including the trade that brought quarterback Carson Palmer to Oakland for draft picks.

McKenzie, 48, is set to take over those decisions after serving as the Packers’ director of football operations since 2008. The Raiders have scheduled a news conference for later today.

To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at matuszewski@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Sillup at msillup@bloomberg.net

xsteve1
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
If Gruden goes I'd expect Jackson to be back with the Bengals. Wouldn't that be ironic.

waggy
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
The Bengals will play the Raiders next year. Wonder if the NFL when working out the schedules will make Carson come to Cincy?

The Bengals 2nd pick in the 1st round will be #21 I think.

ThrowDownDBrown
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
You're kidding right? In the 17 games he's started in the past season and a half, he's had 70 catches for 1000 yards and 7 TDs. That is nothing to sneeze at. I know it took him a long time to finally break the starting lineup, but now that he's here he isn't going anywhere for a while.

Well he's a free agent and there's a good chance Simpson won't be back next year. He was extremely inconsistent this year and also has that whole federal drug investigation hanging over his head too

ThrowDownDBrown
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
The Bengals will play the Raiders next year. Wonder if the NFL when working out the schedules will make Carson come to Cincy?

The Bengals 2nd pick in the 1st round will be #21 I think.

Oakland is playing here in Cincy next year

nkymuskie
01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
The future actually looks bright in Bengal land. I don't know if I am actually allowed to say that, but I am very optimistic for next season. Having two first round draft picks is going to hopefully add some instant contributors. In my opinion we need a guard, safety, running back, and maybe another corner.

This is just dreaming but how awesome would a WR core of Aj, Michael Floyd, Jerome, Shipley, and Andrew Hawkins look. Floyd will likely be there with our pick at 17 and possibly there with our second first round pick. Floyd would provide some physicality to AJ's speed and leaping ability.

Definitely not priority number one, but that would be some serious weapons for Dalton.

waggy
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
With a minimum salary floor coming, one would think it would make sense for the Bengals to get active in free agency a year prior, rather than having to get to the minimum in one offseason. But I really don't know how much ground they have to make up.

xubball1993
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM
As a Bengals fan, I find it's best to lower my expectations. I didn't think they'd win 4 games this year. So I'm going to assume they'll suck next year and only win six. That should equate to a playoff win!

boozehound
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
The future actually looks bright in Bengal land. I don't know if I am actually allowed to say that, but I am very optimistic for next season. Having two first round draft picks is going to hopefully add some instant contributors. In my opinion we need a guard, safety, running back, and maybe another corner.

This is just dreaming but how awesome would a WR core of Aj, Michael Floyd, Jerome, Shipley, and Andrew Hawkins look. Floyd will likely be there with our pick at 17 and possibly there with our second first round pick. Floyd would provide some physicality to AJ's speed and leaping ability.

Definitely not priority number one, but that would be some serious weapons for Dalton.

Another solid draft and a year of experience for some guys and we could be a very good team next year. You never know what's going to happen though.

RealDeal
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Well he's a free agent and there's a good chance Simpson won't be back next year. He was extremely inconsistent this year and also has that whole federal drug investigation hanging over his head too

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120110/SPT02/301100144/Who-will-pair-J-Green-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

XU 87
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Sounds like Simpson (and a few others) doesn't know the offense, which has been a problem since he got here.

XULucho27
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I see that they floated Robert Meachem as a possibility. In my opinion that would be a great pick-up. I also completely forgot about Shipley. It will be nice for Dalton to have him in the fold next season. Between Shipley and Green all we need is one more speedster to burn man coverage when Green picks up the double team (a la Chris Henry), I think Meachem would fill that role excellently.

nkymuskie
01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Sounds like Simpson (and a few others) doesn't know the offense, which has been a problem since he got here.

Rumors being rumors I've heard that Simpson has a pretty severe learning disability. That would explain his inability to pick up the offense. Regardless Gruden will be back next year so another year can only help right? Granted Jerome re-signs with us.