PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament Ticket Question

boozehound
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I have the chance to purchase pre-sale all session tix for the Columbus, OH site for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. I thought about betting them and hoping that Xavier ends up in that location for the first weekend, but I don't really want to deal with it if I will be able to get tix through Xavier at a later date when we find out where we will be playing. For those of you that have attended NCAA games in the past: As a season ticket holder will I be able to purchase NCAA tickets for whatever location Xavier draws in the first weekend if I decide to go?

Thanks

94GRAD
10-14-2011, 07:24 AM
The closer the venue, the harder itis to get tix through X. I would buy the pre-sale tix if you can. You can always sell them later if X isn't there.

Kahns Krazy
10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Not sure what the venue is in Columbus, but lately the NCAA has been putting games in enormous arenas, guaranteeing that they will not sell out, and putting a damper on the resale value of tickets. If the arena is 20k seats or less, I'd jump on pre-sale, if it's bigger than that, I'd worry slightly about your resale value. If you are guaranteed close seats, get them regardless.

I had 20th row floor seats at Lucas Oil when they did the first two rounds there, and I barely got my money back out because you could walk up and buy a ticket in the upper levels for half the face price of my tickets.

nuts4xu
10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
The higher up you are on the season ticket food chain, the better your chances to get tickets through Xavier. If you are a club seat holder, and have held tickets for a number of years, you usually get first crack at NCAA tickets.

Premium I or II, you will have a chance but not as great as the club seat person.

I would imagine the venue will be Schottenstein Center or Nationwide Arena. Nationwide is much bigger than Schottenstein, but as you can imagine, if OSU is having a good year, Buckeye fans will sell out either place before the meat of the conference season.

danaandvictory
10-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I have the chance to purchase pre-sale all session tix for the Columbus, OH site for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

The games are at Nationwide Arena, which is obviously not OSU's home court. I think there's about a 95% chance OSU ends up with a protected seed this year (they are probably no worse than a 5-10 ranked team) and so if the Buckeyes play there, you should have no problem selling those tickets.

What's great this year is that four of the eight first weekend venues are a reasonable drive. Would love to see X in Louisville or Nashville.

ThrowDownDBrown
10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Pretty sure OSU is the host for the games at Nationwide so they won't be able to play there

Nationwide is much bigger than Schottenstein
The Schott and Nationwide are actually the exact same size for basketball games, 19,500.

danaandvictory
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Pretty sure OSU is the host for the games at Nationwide so they won't be able to play there

Is that the rule now? I thought Nova was able to play at the Wachovia Center (or whatever iti s now) a few years back.

EDIT: I'm wrong

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/BracketPrin-Proc10-5-10.pdf

A host institution’s team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting.

Bmuskie
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
You're right Dana, OSU is not allowed to play in columbus.

X-band '01
10-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Is that the rule now? I thought Nova was able to play at the Wachovia Center (or whatever iti s now) a few years back.

EDIT: I'm wrong

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/BracketPrin-Proc10-5-10.pdf

Villanova could play at the Wachovia Center back then because the A-10 was the host institution/conference.

Louisville and Ohio State are both examples of schools that can't play on their own court (or city) since they are the host institutions.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, CAN play at Consol Energy Center this year since Duquesne is the host institution. There is a limit on how many games Pitt could play at Consol, however.

nuts4xu
10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Why would OSU want to host NCAA games? Is there a financial incentive?

If hosting the first 2 rounds prefents you from playing in Columbus, and the school has to do a TON of work to put on th event, what is the benefit?

I can see if a school like Duquesne wants to host to gain some exposure for the program, but doesn't seem to make much sense for a school like Louisville or OSU.

X-band '01
11-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Why would OSU want to host NCAA games? Is there a financial incentive?

If hosting the first 2 rounds prefents you from playing in Columbus, and the school has to do a TON of work to put on th event, what is the benefit?

I can see if a school like Duquesne wants to host to gain some exposure for the program, but doesn't seem to make much sense for a school like Louisville or OSU.

Cincinnati hasn't even hosted NCAA games (at the Riverfront Coliseum/USBarn Arena) since 1992. I think Xavier was the host back then. Even as recently as 1987 the arena hosted regionals (which Indiana won en route to a national title). The facility is a shithole, err, subpar compared to other places which host early round games nowadays.

As far as Columbus, I would have to guess that Ohio State may get big enough of a cut from the gate that justifies them hosting early round games. Ditto Louisville this year as this will be the first time that the Yum Center will be hosting NCAA games.

bigdiggins
11-22-2011, 05:38 PM
The facility is a shithole, err, subpar compared to other places which host early round games nowadays.

It cannot possibly be worse than UD Arena.