PDA

View Full Version : Xavier football 2011 season starts Thursday night

nickgyp
09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
The football team opens the 2011 season this Thursday night (Sept. 8th) downtown at Taft High School at 8:00 pm against Ohio Mid-Western. New head coach Sean McCormick and staff welcome fans to come out and watch the team play. Returning veteran players and many new faces give the Muskies gridders much optimism for the fall!

Masterofreality
09-10-2011, 03:31 PM
How did the game come out, Nick?

Muskie
09-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Lost the first game. I think I Re-tweeted the score. They'll turn the ship around.

nickgyp
09-15-2011, 08:18 PM
42-6 loss to Ohio Midwestern was a bit hard to watch. Muskies were down 20-0 before closing to 20-6 right before the half. The team is young and it looks to have some talent but the offense was sluggish and the defense let too many big plays happen. There were glimpses of good play on both sides of the ball; and actual game experience will have to provide the veteran and new players an opportunity to develop consistency. The away game at Flint this Saturday means the team will have to learn quickly.
BTW: Taft H.S. stadium with the city skyline in the background is a nice place to watch a game.

Muskie
09-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Nick how was you compare this year's squad to the previous couple? Has their been a lot of turnover in personnel?

xnatic03
09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
42-6 loss to Ohio Midwestern was a bit hard to watch. Muskies were down 20-0 before closing to 20-6 right before the half. The team is young and it looks to have some talent but the offense was sluggish and the defense let too many big plays happen. There were glimpses of good play on both sides of the ball; and actual game experience will have to provide the veteran and new players an opportunity to develop consistency. The away game at Flint this Saturday means the team will have to learn quickly.
BTW: Taft H.S. stadium with the city skyline in the background is a nice place to watch a game.

I've passed the stadium a few times. It seems to be very nice. It's good to see an attempt to "doll up" the area down there. Having a nice football stadium in the middle of the West End and OTR definitely helps make the area nicer.

nickgyp
09-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Muskie:

This year's team has some veterans back but there are a lot of new faces as well. Against Ohio Midwestern, the Muskies really had a hard time getting in synche. The offensive scheme seems different from last year's and replacing QB Chris Greenwood (a four year starter) is tough. This year's QB saw some action last year in one game versus Miami before the season ended early. The new players need some game experience for sure.

Muskie
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks Nick. Sounds like it might be a rough but productive year for the squad in terms of experience.

nickgyp
09-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Muskie:

This team has nine seniors but 50% of the roster are freshmen. Ted Popaliski, the starting QB, is a sophomore, who, in spite of a severe ankle injury, played sporadically in the first half of the loss to So. Illinios (Edwardsville) on Saturday. Significantly, X led at half 20-19 but Popaliski's injury hkept him from playing in the second half. Jeremiah Harlan filled in admirably under the conditions. I had never heard of him or even seen him before. Per Coach McCormick, Harlan just learned of club football and had only practiced a week before being in the lineup. While his inexperience showed, his promise was evident. It may be too soon to compare him to Xavier great Carroll Williams but his elusive running style reminds of Williams' scrambles (when not throwing to Danny Abramowicz).

I have difficulties with links but coach McCormick posted on the Xavier Club Football Facepage a video of Harlan runnig for good yardage against SIUE. hope this works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxgGTd0i8mg
www.youtube.com