PDA

View Full Version : What? Notre Dame loses?

Masterofreality
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Shocking!

Yep, another number one recruiting class, and that well-deserved #16 pre-season ranking.

Well done.

GoMuskies
09-03-2011, 09:13 PM
USF is not very good either. ND gift wrapped that one for them. It was fun watching Kelly's head almost explode all game. Dude's out of control.

Blue Blooded-05
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
USF is not very good either. ND gift wrapped that one for them. It was fun watching Kelly's head almost explode all game. Dude's out of control.

Kelly looked like a lunatic today.

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/250/draft_lens6936292module56671742photo_1252640931tem per_tantrums_children_toddler.jpg

+

http://img.skitch.com/20100512-xfp8u5a4eq6c8btyjixqdnbain.jpg

=

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2011/09/2011-September-3-19-30-53-628x353.jpg

Return To Glory v5.0

Snipe
09-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I loved Brian Kelly as a UC football fan. He could do anything. Now he can't do a damn thing. He has the money though. What he did at UC was nothing short of incredible. It was fun to watch. I think he could have made me a quarterback.

Every play he got people open. I thought he was a genius.

PM Thor
09-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Holy crap that pic looks like Kelly is on the verge of an aneurism.

I seriously question everything about college football if a team like ND (this year) could be ranked in the top 20. Don't misconstrue this as ND bashing, I honestly don't care either way about that program, or Hell, pretty much any program in the college football world.

But how in the HELL does a team, ANY team get a #16 ranking coming off of a 8-5 year (and a bowl bid that I really thought was unwarranted)?

Someone please explain it to me. Why do they even rate these teams before the season starts? It's totally foreign to me.

I HATE dayton.

Masterofreality
09-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I also find it wildly amusing that Michael Floyd was "suspended" from the program, but was "reinstated" in just enough time to play games.

That is some suspension, you poseurs. Suspend the kid from March to August. Not even one game?

Look, I'm not saying that Floyd should have been sent to hell, but it was a DUI. One game would have been appropriate, but, ahhhh, don't put a possible football win in jeapordy.

ND lost anyway.

Compare that with BYU "suspending" their best big man for the rest of the basketball season including the NCAA Tournament for an activity that didn't put any other humans at risk.

I'm sorry. With Floyd and the Declan Sullivan incident from last year still very fresh, the ND defenders had better come up with a lot of excuses for their high and mighty program.

xucub
09-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I like Brian Kelly. And in the long run, I think he is the right guy for ND. (I do not have the same love for ND, so it pains me to say that.)

What it also shows is how weak the Big East is in football. Kelly took UC from 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds in the Big East. He is still hitting speed bumps at a real football program.

X-band '01
09-04-2011, 08:17 AM
At least Kyle Davies at BYU will be reinstated for the upcoming season, but MOR has a very good point. BYU was willing to suspend him at a time when their team had a legitimate shot at their first-ever Final 4 appearance, if not a national title. BYU can claim with a straight face that they're not a sports factory like so many institutions are right now.

In the meantime, at least now we know that Notre Dame ain't joining the Big East for football anytime soon. USF is a legit program though - let's not act as if a middling program like UConn just walked into South Bend with a win (think that was during the Weis era).

Masterofreality
09-04-2011, 08:32 AM
. USF is a legit program though - let's not act as if a middling program like UConn just walked into South Bend with a win (think that was during the Weis era).

No.......just Tulsa.

GoMuskies
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
What it also shows is how weak the Big East is in football. Kelly took UC from 0 to 60 in about 3 seconds in the Big East. He is still hitting speed bumps at a real football program.

You understand that USF is in the Big East, right? And that ND is 3-7 in their last 10 against Big East teams? If ND is a "real football program", the Big East must be full of them, then.

Xavier
09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Big east is increadibly weak. USF has a legit chance to win the conference. Wasn't Uconn the Big East champs last year? Michigan beat them 30-10. Michigan got killed in the Big 10. How they still have an auto bid is beyond me.

*Michigan fan

waggy
09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
No-trees. Now there's a slam that's gotta cut deep.

Reminds me of the "You beat two trees" pic in the lounge thread. But to not even have trees to beat..

XUFan09
09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
At least Kyle Davies at BYU will be reinstated for the upcoming season, but MOR has a very good point. BYU was willing to suspend him at a time when their team had a legitimate shot at their first-ever Final 4 appearance, if not a national title. BYU can claim with a straight face that they're not a sports factory like so many institutions are right now.

In the meantime, at least now we know that Notre Dame ain't joining the Big East for football anytime soon. USF is a legit program though - let's not act as if a middling program like UConn just walked into South Bend with a win (think that was during the Weis era).

Brandon.

GoMuskies
09-04-2011, 12:11 PM
How they still have an auto bid is beyond me.

If you take away the Big East's you have to take away the ACC's. I recall the ACC champs losing to James Madison last year.

boozehound
09-04-2011, 12:22 PM
If you take away the Big East's you have to take away the ACC's. I recall the ACC champs losing to James Madison last year.

I'm fine with that. That would make 2 fewer crappy teams playing in uninteresting BCS bowl games. If they are both going to have auto bids they should just play each other every year in the bowl game so that only one BCS bowl is ruined.

GoMuskies
09-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, in recent years, both conferences have had some bad years.

xudash
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
The echos have just about faded to nothing.

First game of the season. In South Bend. And they lose to a directional school from Florida that wasn't even on the radar not too many years ago.

Here's their schedule and my guesses on their W/L record:

09/03/11 vs. South Florida L
09/10/11 at Michigan L
09/17/11 vs. Michigan State L
09/24/11 at Pittsburgh W
10/01/11 at Purdue W
10/08/11 vs. Air Force W
10/22/11 vs. USC L
10/29/11 vs. Navy W
11/05/11 at Wake Forest W
11/12/11 vs. Maryland W
11/19/11 vs. Boston College W
11/26/11 at Stanford L

They've really put themselves behind the power curve with that opening loss.

kyxu
09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
The echos have just about faded to nothing.

First game of the season. In South Bend. And they lose to a directional school from Florida that wasn't even on the radar not too many years ago.

Here's their schedule and my guesses on their W/L record:

09/03/11 vs. South Florida L
09/10/11 at Michigan L
09/17/11 vs. Michigan State L
09/24/11 at Pittsburgh W
10/01/11 at Purdue W
10/08/11 vs. Air Force W
10/22/11 vs. USC L
10/29/11 vs. Navy W
11/05/11 at Wake Forest W
11/12/11 vs. Maryland W
11/19/11 vs. Boston College W
11/26/11 at Stanford L

They've really put themselves behind the power curve with that opening loss.

You must really hold Notre Dame in high regard if after yesterday's game you have them beating Pitt, Air Force, Navy and Maryland.

X-band '01
09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Brandon.

Thanks - I had a brain fart and confused him for a baseball player.

X-band '01
09-04-2011, 03:15 PM
They may beat USC at home for a change; the Trojans barely beat Minnesota at home yesterday. They put up a much better fight than the Buckeyes did on their last 2 trips to the Coliseum.

xudash
09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
You must really hold Notre Dame in high regard if after yesterday's game you have them beating Pitt, Air Force, Navy and Maryland.

It's not a matter of holding them in high regard in my case. It's about a lack of familiarity on my part with the programs I have them beating, giving them the benefit of the doubt in those games. Other than Pitt, those contests take place in South Bend.

Assuming I'm right about the first 3 games, I guess they easily could go into the 'burgh completely on their heels and rack up a 4th straight loss. We're they to go 0-4 to get things started, the wheels would certainly be considered off at that point.

Kelly will start to lose some of his shine after this season if they stink it up again.

Xavier
09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
I think they will beat MSU. 50/50 against Michigan. I see them finishing 8-4.

ThrowDownDBrown
09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
They may beat USC at home for a change; the Trojans barely beat Minnesota at home yesterday. They put up a much better fight than the Buckeyes did on their last 2 trips to the Coliseum.

It might have helped the Gophers that USC is completely mediocre right now lead by their d bag of a head coach. Robert Woods is an absolute stud though. Was very happy to see the domers lose but I give MOR an F for that nickname

gladdenguy
09-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I loved Brian Kelly as a UC football fan. He could do anything. Now he can't do a damn thing. He has the money though. What he did at UC was nothing short of incredible. It was fun to watch. I think he could have made me a quarterback.

Every play he got people open. I thought he was a genius.

yeah he had an offense with dantonios recruits but never fielded a defense.......that is why he will never win football games with a real schedule.....he floated through the terrible big least but not with nds schedule.....dude is a lucky son of a bitch he got that job

Masterofreality
09-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Was very happy to see the domers lose but I give MOR an F for that nickname

Well, I can't be brilliant all the time.

Won't be the first time I failed at something.

GoMuskies
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
he floated through the terrible big least but not with nds schedule

It apparently needs repeating: USF = Big East.

xavierj
09-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Brian Kelly made a big mistake not starting Tommy Rees. The guy was the glue late last year and showed yesterday he is pretty good. ND out gained SFla by over 250, 508 to 254 yards, and lost. They held south Florida to less then 300 yards and lost. They should have won comfortably. But 5 TO's will kill any team. They will still win 8 games because their schedule is not that good and to be honest they are not as bad as 5 to's made them look, but they had no business losing yesterday. Either way Brian Kelly is probably the best thing for ND but they are a long way away from what they used to be.

gladdenguy
09-04-2011, 11:31 PM
It apparently needs repeating: USF = Big East.

And this needs repeating.......A good team would have beat Notre Dum by at least 3 touchdowns.
South Florida = not a good football team.
Notre Dame = very bad football team.
Louisville = even worse than the two of them. Sorry Go.

gladdenguy
09-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Lets go one more point from last year about the Big Least.
Michigan, a mediocre to bad football team beat the Big East champ by 20.
UConn shouldn't have been on the same field as Oklahoma. That is why the Big Least does not deserve a BCS bowl bid. They get worse every year.
TCU will win the conference every year once they get there. Thats pathetic.

GoMuskies
09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Louisville's bad this year. The Big East sucked last year. VT won the ACC and lost to JMU, so the Big East isn't alone.

But the Big East (and Louisville) will be fine. And they will (and should) keep the BCS bid.

My post simply pointed to the fact that it's kind of illogical to claim that ND's loss to a Big East team proves that the Big East was "weak" and Kelly was able to coast through it at UC but is struggling at ND because he plays "real" teams now.

X-band '01
09-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Hook. Line. Sinker.

That's what you meant to say.

bleedXblue
09-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Kelly is a good coach.

Notre Dame is NOT horrible.

They have a pretty solid D and Ries is only a SOPH.

Kelly did look like he his head was going to pop off Saturday night.

Notre Dame will be fine and they'll end up having a decent year.

Two horrible turnovers in the red zone cost them the game.

I read an article in this mornings paper that said they (ND coaches) still weren't sure who was going to start (Crist of Reis). This is a consistent strategy Kelly used at UC.

Reis is going to be the starter, no question about it.

I see ND finishing 8-4 or 9-3.

An improvement over last year.

They play a tough schedule year in and year out.

LutherRackleyRulez
09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Kelly is a good coach.

I read an article in this mornings paper that said they (ND coaches) still weren't sure who was going to start (Crist of Reis). This is a consistent strategy Kelly used at UC.

yo bXb,

FYI: The Soph QB @ nd is REES......

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rees_tommy00.html

bleedXblue
09-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Roger that

Juice
09-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Kelly is a good coach.

I am with you on this. Notre Dame is finally getting athletes to play on the defensive side of the ball with Teo, Louis Nix, Aaron Lynch and Ish Williams. Weis completely neglected that side of the ball. I was expecting a 10-2 season from them this year and I have tempered those expectations a bit but I think they rebound from this.

ThrowDownDBrown
09-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Notre Dame's schedule is not tough, why people continue to say that is beyond me.

Juice
09-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Notre Dame's schedule is not tough, why people continue to say that is beyond me.

Phil Steele would disagree with you: http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/07/18/which-team-plays-the-toughest-schedule-in-2011

GoMuskies
09-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Notre Dame's schedule is reasonably difficult. Other than Stanford, they don't play anyone particularly good, but they don't have many complete cupcakes on the schedule either.

boozehound
09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Kelly is a good coach.

This could certainly be debated.

vee4xu
09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Ahh, the annual is-ND-football-overrated discussion. Love 'em or hate 'em ND gets press. The school is a marketing machine. They live by the old adage, I don't care what you say about me, just make sure you spell my name correctly.

Personally, not a fan of the Irish, but indifferent anymore about discussions relating to their sports programs. One of those topics that gets brought up every year and nothing gets resolved, which is fine. It gives people a chance to vent, take their sides and dig in their heels. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Carry on!

94GRAD
09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Q- How do you know if someone graduated from ND?

A- They'll tell you.

Masterofreality
09-10-2011, 10:42 PM
The genius "Brain" Kelly. 0-2 with Michigan State on the way.

Well done with 30 seconds to go and letting Michigan go 80 yards. Genius.

Oh, yeah. The ghosts are back. The Ghosts of Gerry Faust, Bob Davie, and Joe Kuharich.

pizza delivery
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
What a garbage football game that was. Both teams suck.

Titanxman04
09-10-2011, 11:03 PM
The genius "Brain" Kelly. 0-2 with Michigan State on the way.

Well done with 30 seconds to go and letting Michigan go 80 yards. Genius.

Oh, yeah. The ghosts are back. The Ghosts of Gerry Faust, Bob Davie, and Joe Kuharich.

Never speak those names again.

Blue Blooded-05
09-11-2011, 12:50 AM

While Michigan and Notre Dame are both quite detestable and far below their historical standards of success, I would have to ask you one question after watching that game tonight... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

gladdenguy
09-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Garbage football game?????

You truly have spoken idiocy. I'm sensing from your screen name you probably deliver pizzas for a living as well.

That has to go down as one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

And it wasn't even GuyFawkes or LH.

GoMuskies
09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Defintely was not a garbage game. Neither team may be very good, though.

gladdenguy
09-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Defintely was not a garbage game. Neither team may be very good, though.

I felt bad Friday night for you Go. I meant to tell you.

GoMuskies
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I felt bad Friday night for you Go. I meant to tell you.

Yeah, tough year ahead for the Cards. FIU is a decent team, but obviously Louisville is in bad shape if they're losing to them. The legacy of Steve Kragthorpe continues.

pizza delivery
09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Garbage football game?????

You truly have spoken idiocy. I'm sensing from your screen name you probably deliver pizzas for a living as well.

That has to go down as one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

And it wasn't even GuyFawkes or LH.

8 turnovers, 3 TD's in the last minute? It was like watching pop warner.

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
IMHO, such an awesome game.

Michigan needs more night games. I've never seen Michigan Stadium like that.

The Mich/OSU rivalry has been very meh the past 15 years. ND/mich has been great.

boozehound
09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
8 turnovers, 3 TD's in the last minute? It was like watching pop warner.

I don't know how you can watch a game with 3 lead changes in the last minute, including the go-ahead TD scored with with 2 seconds on the clock, and say that it wasn't a good game. Nobody ever said that either team played great defense, just that it was exciting. You are definitely in the minority opinion here.

pizza delivery
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't know how you can watch a game with 3 lead changes in the last minute, including the go-ahead TD scored with with 2 seconds on the clock, and say that it wasn't a good game. Nobody ever said that either team played great defense, just that it was exciting. You are definitely in the minority opinion here.

This is clearly a topic that will end with a decisive answer and mutual agreement. :rolleyes:

XUFan09
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
In rating games, pizza delivery seems to put a greater emphasis on the quality of the play (in this case, sloppy offense and poor defense), while others put greater emphasis on the excitement level. It's as simple as that, a difference in preferences when deciding how much someone enjoys a game.

Last year, I really enjoyed the Xavier-Butler game, but though the defense for both teams was great, the offensive execution (or lack thereof) was painful at times. It was a really close game, I could definitely see a bystander not really enjoying it based on the poor offense on both sides.

SM#24
09-12-2011, 05:31 PM
The Mich/OSU rivalry has been very meh the past 15 years. ND/mich has been great.

Why do you suppose that is ?

ThrowDownDBrown
09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Why do you suppose that is ?

Because it's been two evenly matched mediocre teams

GoMuskies
09-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm disappointed this thread no longer references No-Trees Dame.

GuyFawkes38
09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
If you want to watch football without turnovers and wild momentum changes, watch the NFL. College football is not your best option.

But IMHO, that's part of the charm of college football. These are non-professional student athletes. They make lots of mistakes which produces unorthodox and unique finishes.

Masterofreality
09-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm disappointed this thread no longer references No-Trees Dame.

Yeah. What up wit dat?

SixFig
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
In rating games, pizza delivery seems to put a greater emphasis on the quality of the play (in this case, sloppy offense and poor defense), while others put greater emphasis on the excitement level. It's as simple as that, a difference in preferences when deciding how much someone enjoys a game.

Last year, I really enjoyed the Xavier-Butler game, but though the defense for both teams was great, the offensive execution (or lack thereof) was painful at times. It was a really close game, I could definitely see a bystander not really enjoying it based on the poor offense on both sides.

What? A reasonable rationalization of the arguments that doesn't involve snide namecalling?

I must neg (read: positive) rep you sir!

XUFan09
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
What? A reasonable rationalization of the arguments that doesn't involve snide namecalling?

I must neg (read: positive) rep you sir!

Haha thanks :D

waggy
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah. What up wit dat?

Maybe Muskie thought you misspelled it?

nuts4xu
09-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Muck Fichigan!!

Hate dem bastards!!

gladdenguy
09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Muck Fichigan!!

Hate dem bastards!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Notre Dame sucks. Brian Kelly sucks more.
The carousel of coaches needs to stop with a good one eventually.
I'm glad Michigan hired a good one. I would hate to ever slip to what Notre Dame has been through for the last 15-20 years. Embarrassing.

nuts4xu
09-13-2011, 12:47 PM

I can't argue ND sucks right now, and if you have 10 TO's in 2 games, you don't deserve to be anything but 0-2.

I think Kelly will still get it right. He isn't going to be able to do a quick fix like he did at UC, it will take another year or two.

At least I hope....

nuts4xu
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
I walked into NY Deli in Mt Washington to get a sandwhich, and I was wearing an ND T-shirt. One guy, (who I know) begins giving me a hard time about the game. He is a Michigan fan, and is all good.

Then some 75+ old man (whom I don't know) starts singing "Hail to the Victor" and laughing...

I just wanted a fuckin sandwich but got a side of "busted balls" with it for free. Tough crowd you Wolverine fans!

Kahns Krazy
09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
I walked into NY Deli in Mt Washington to get a sandwhich, and I was wearing an ND T-shirt.

Strike 3.

Emp
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm in the "give me close, exciting, momentum changes game" category.

Totally agree that these are not pro athletes, they do crazy things, and that is one of the joy of college sports. Even the Ohio State game was a good one to watch Saturday, because Toledo was making it a game, not the usual cupcake rout.

XULucho27
09-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I walked into NY Deli in Mt Washington to get a sandwhich, and I was wearing an ND T-shirt. One guy, (who I know) begins giving me a hard time about the game. He is a Michigan fan, and is all good.

Then some 75+ old man (whom I don't know) starts singing "Hail to the Victor" and laughing...

I just wanted a fuckin sandwich but got a side of "busted balls" with it for free. Tough crowd you Wolverine fans!

That guy sounds like a miserable pr*ck.

I don't gloat. Or rather, I only gloat to Ohio fans because they are, for the most part, walking, non-carbon based, pseudo intelligent beings whose sole purpose of existence is to replicate their sub-human DNA and inject soul sucking sadness into their offspring who, aside from being children of the devil, have a cranium that instead of housing a functioning brain merely serves as a scarlet and gray decorated minaudiére holding nothing more than the lyrics to "Hang on Sloopy" and the de rigeur body gestures that spell out o-h-i-o. But then again, that's just my opinion.

I think the Wolverine crowd is a pretty decent bunch but, as with any fan base, you'll find people who take it too seriously or are just plain annoying. I feel for ya bud, it's tough to get your balls busted after such a close game. For the most part, I like Notre Dame fans.

Xavier
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM

The carousel of coaches needs to stop with a good one eventually.
I'm glad Michigan hired a good one. I would hate to ever slip to what Notre Dame has been through for the last 15-20 years. Embarrassing.

I thought less then 20 years ago they were a game from winning the NC? (93, i think it was) As a michigan fan, I wouldn't mind that.

PMI
09-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I thought less then 20 years ago they were a game from winning the NC? (93, i think it was) As a michigan fan, I wouldn't mind that.

Really? As a Notre Dame fan, I wouldn't mind having actually won the 1997 National Championship, along with having the Heisman winner. Please don't try to compare ND's last twenty years to Michigan's. That's a losing battle.

kyxu
09-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Didn't Michigan win it all in 1998? Well...a share of it all.

PMI
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM

97. And fortunately for an inferior Nebraska team, there was no actual championship game then.

Xavier
09-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Really? As a Notre Dame fan, I wouldn't mind having actually won the 1997 National Championship, along with having the Heisman winner. Please don't try to compare ND's last twenty years to Michigan's. That's a losing battle.

By no mean was I saying I'd rather have ND's last 20 years. But to say they have been and embarrassment for 20 years isn't entirely accurate- thats the point I was making in what I meant to say was I wouldn't mind having a couple of their years (in that 20 year stretch) this year, as a Michigan fan. My mistake

MADXSTER
09-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Go and throw eggs at me but when it comes to football I'm a Notre Dame fan.

gladdenguy
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM

National title in 97. Won a BCS game in 99. Lost to a junior named Vince Young in the Rose Bowl in 04 in a great game. Was one game from a National Championship in 06.
Not National Championship material every year since the turn of the century and not up to par with Michigan standards but certainly MUCH better than Notre Dame.

Notre Dame has literally done nothing except get crushed by an Oregon St. team in a BCS game they have never should have been invited to. I don't remember if Notre Dame was one game from a championship when Alabama beat Miami for the title in 93. I'll trust you. Since then they have been pathetic.

Snowboarder
09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
97. And fortunately for an inferior Nebraska team, there was no actual championship game then.

Nebraska would have whipped Michigan. The Big 10 was extremely young and weak that year. UM Big 10 opponents went 0-5 in Bowl games that year. Michigan beat Ohio St. at home 20-14. In the Sugar Bowl Florida St. beat Ohio St. 31-14 on a neutral site. I remember the Ohio St. players said that FSU was by far the best team they faced all year. PLus in the Rose Bowl Michigan barely beat a Washington St. that had little talent. Nebraska crushed #14 Texas A&M 54-15 in the Big 12 Title game. They then destroyed Tennessee 42-17 in the Orange Bowl. A Tennessee team that had sent 20 players to the NFL and had players such as Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Chad Clifton, etc. NU Big 12 opponents went 3-2 in Bowl games. Lastly Nebraska's margin of victory was 31 points a game where as Michigan's was 17 points a game.

PMI
09-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Nebraska would have whipped Michigan. The Big 10 was extremely young and weak that year. UM Big 10 opponents went 0-5 in Bowl games that year. Michigan beat Ohio St. at home 20-14. In the Sugar Bowl Florida St. beat Ohio St. 31-14 on a neutral site. I remember the Ohio St. players said that FSU was by far the best team they faced all year. PLus in the Rose Bowl Michigan barely beat a Washington St. that had little talent. Nebraska crushed #14 Texas A&M 54-15 in the Big 12 Title game. They then destroyed Tennessee 42-17 in the Orange Bowl. A Tennessee team that had sent 20 players to the NFL and had players such as Peyton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Chad Clifton, etc. NU Big 12 opponents went 3-2 in Bowl games. Lastly Nebraska's margin of victory was 31 points a game where as Michigan's was 17 points a game.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Michigan had the better overall season. Nebraska needed an absolute miracle just to get past Missouri that year. Michigan's defense was one of the better ones in the history of college football that year, led by the best player in the nation. They had a substantially better defense than Nebraska. Nebraska was playing really well at the end of the year, but you had to look at the body of work back then because there was no title game, and Michigan was consistently the best team all year long. Both teams played great opponents in their bowls (don't forget Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were 1 and 1A in college football that year.) Also, you can look at who beat who all you want, but look at the NFL talent on UM that year compared to Nebraska and tell me who the better roster is. Not all that close.

You can point to the Ohio State thing, but everyone who knows college football knows that rivalry is what it is, and to use that close game as a way to penalize UM is ridiculous, especially when Nebraska only beat Missouri by the grace of the football gods. Plus, if you want to play that game, both teams played Baylor and Colorado. Michigan beat Baylor by 35, Nebraska by 28, and Michigan beat Colorado by 24, Nebraska by 3. But you really can't look at it that way without going in circles.

I think it was pretty clear that Michigan was the best team in college football if you look at the whole 1997 season. Sadly, college football is and always has been way too subjective to get any clear answers.

XULucho27
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Michigan's defense was one of the better ones in the history of college football that year, led by the best player in the nation. They had a substantially better defense than Nebraska.

I think it was pretty clear that Michigan was the best team in college football if you look at the whole 1997 season. Sadly, college football is and always has been way too subjective to get any clear answers.

I always find myself arguing this point with a Nebraska fan that PMI and myself know very well and I always find it comical that for as much as Nebraska fans pride themselves on their team's defensive prowess of years past and appreciate good defense, they give absolutely NO credit to Michigan's D from that year which was, as you've correctly pointed out, one of the best in the history of college football.

I mean they had Dhani Jones!! He tackles the globe!!

PMI
09-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I always find myself arguing this point with a Nebraska fan that PMI and myself know very well and I always find it comical that for as much as Nebraska fans pride themselves on their team's defensive prowess of years past and appreciate good defense, they give absolutely NO credit to Michigan's D from that year which was, as you've correctly pointed out, one of the best in the history of college football.

I mean they had Dhani Jones!! He tackles the globe!!

And what do we always determine? That while both sides think we're right, college football is just too damn subjective to ever put any good debates to rest. That said, we're right.

MADXSTER
09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
And what do we always determine? That while both sides think we're right, college football is just too damn subjective to ever put any good debates to rest. That said, we're right.

Thus why college football needs a real playoff system.

GoMuskies
09-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Louisville would have kicked that '97 Michigan team's ass. After all, Louisville at one point led #1 Penn State 7-0 that year.