PDA

View Full Version : Fat Head The Movie

jhelmes37
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
A colleague of mine recommended this movie to me. It's kind of an anti-Super Size Me flick. It claims that fat and cholesterol are not your enemies, they are your friends, and the true enemy is sugar - any kind of sugar. It's loaded with scientific evidence that if you go on a zero-carb diet, you will be healthier, lighter, and live longer. The diet is called a "ketogenic" diet.

This is the first time I've seen something like this, and I'm intrigued. Especially because the diet calls for unlimited amounts of meats, eggs, cheeses, and proteins. But zero carbs.

Has anybody tried this before? I'm intrigued. And there's TONS of information on this website from all sorts of sources claiming this to be the way we should all live.

Thoughts?

http://www.fathead-movie.com/

GoMuskies
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
This is the first time you've seen the Atkins diet? Really?

Kahns Krazy
08-04-2011, 02:17 PM
This is the first time you've seen the Atkins diet? Really?

I second this. I am amazed that this is new to you.

A low carbohydrate diet works for some people. I tend to believe that different people are pre-disposed to react differently to different foods. Sugar/carbs is one that there appears to be a wide variation. From people who can seemingly survive on nothing but carbs and sugar to people who can't tolerate them at all.

I'm no doctor, but I don't think zero carbs is a long term healthy approach, either. Even Atkins did not recommend this approach.

I generally feel better when I stay away from simple sugars and starchy carbs.

The biggest personal drawback to a low carb diet for me is that carbs are generally inexpensive food. Fresh meat, cheese and produce is very expensive compared to bread, potatoes and pasta.

jhelmes37
08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, I know the Atkins diet's been around since the 70's, but the knock on Atkins was always that it gave you high cholesterol, blood pressure, and eventually, heart disease. Most of what this is claiming is that cholesterol doesn't matter when it comes to your health, this diet will not change your blood pressure one bit, and sugar is the main cause of heart disease.

And a ketogenic diet seems to be a bit more restrictive than the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet calls for fewer than 50 grams of carbs per day. This diet calls for zero. Not one.

I guess I'm just wondering if anybody has tried this sort of a thing before and if so, what the results were.

And I can see right away what the biggest issue will be. Alcohol consumption, which almost always has carbs.

jhelmes37
08-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I guess I need to clarify: The low-carb, Atkins, ketogenic, or whatever you call it, diet is not new to me.

What's new is the claim that it is actually healthier for you.

All I ever heard was that you could lose a bunch of weight on Atkins, but you'd die of a heart attack at 50. This is claiming the reverse.

xu95
08-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Every claim in the world will have another claim to dispute it. Don't believe anything.

xu95

kmcrawfo
08-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Every claim in the world will have another claim to dispute it. Don't believe anything.

xu95

Isn't that the truth.... I can find a study/article/textbook to testify to just about anything which is semi-plausible in the medical literature. Best to make your own decision based on the information at your disposal.

My opinion is a healthy balanced diet is the way to go. Moderation in carbs, sugars, etc. Throw in some good ol' fashion exercise and you are good to go. These fad diets rarely end up holding their weight.

Jumpy
08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
This reminds me of the cigarette companies back in the 60's trying to claim that their cigarettes were healthier than their competion's.

ballyhoohoo
08-05-2011, 08:16 AM
You could just eat all the p*ssy in the world, you may not lose weight, but you might be happy.

drudy23
08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
For me, I feel much better and lighter when I get in a good habit of eating alot of produce, turkey/fish, whole grain, and water. It's just "lighter" food and makes me feel better, and most of it is "natural" so my body takes it much better.

When I eat Chipotle, Donatos, BW3, McDonalds...I feel like crap....but those things are so damn good.

nuts4xu
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
This diet has also been referred to as the South Beach Diet, Sugar Busters, and a number of other variations.

Everything in moderation. This diet may work short term, but it is very difficult to maintain.

The most effective diet I have ever seen is the ELMM diet....Eat Less Move More.

If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you should lose weight. If you find you are not losing weight after being on this diet for a few weeks, consult a doctor. You may have issues related to your thyroid.

Kahns Krazy
08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Well, I know the Atkins diet's been around since the 70's, but the knock on Atkins was always that it gave you high cholesterol, blood pressure, and eventually, heart disease. Most of what this is claiming is that cholesterol doesn't matter when it comes to your health, this diet will not change your blood pressure one bit, and sugar is the main cause of heart disease.

And a ketogenic diet seems to be a bit more restrictive than the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet calls for fewer than 50 grams of carbs per day. This diet calls for zero. Not one.

I guess I'm just wondering if anybody has tried this sort of a thing before and if so, what the results were.

And I can see right away what the biggest issue will be. Alcohol consumption, which almost always has carbs.

I read the Atkins book. Atkins claimed the exact same benefits - lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol.