PDA

View Full Version : Triumphant Return of Tiger Woods?

GoMuskies
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Over/under on his finishing position this week was 30.5 at my book. I think he does better than that (say 15th) and gets everyone all hot and bothered heading towards the PGA.

xudash
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I watched Palmer on Charlie Rose last night.

Charlie asked him if he thought Tiger would break Jack's record. Arnie said no. He explained that truly superior athletes of the past, when confronted at the point where they lost their extreme edge, could never get back to it no matter how hard they tried. He literally kept referring to it as the "X Factor."

Personally, I agree with Arnie. I agree with him because I believe his point, but I also believe Tiger may have a tendency to attempt to play the game the way that he did when he was in his early 20's, instead of calibrating his swing to protect against further injury.

Between his body, these kids blowing the ball past him, and the sheer weight of where he must be mentally, knowing where he used to be, is going to make it extremely difficult to pass Jack.

Will Tiger be a force on the tour for a while longer? I think that is likely, given his talent and experience. But I don't think "fragile" covers where he is mentally right now. Deep down inside, he still sees a gorgeous, pissed off blonde coming at him with a 7 iron over some nasty disclosure.

paulxu
08-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Over/under on his finishing position this week was 30.5 at my book. I think he does better than that (say 15th) and gets everyone all hot and bothered heading towards the PGA.

Go, he's going to need a big Sunday to get under you number (sitting at tie for 38th).
Some sort of irony coming if Scott wins with Tiger's caddy on the bag.

GoMuskies
06-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Another triumphant return for Tiger this coming week at Congressional. PMI's tickets just got more valuable (but probably only the Thursday and Friday tickets).

DC Muskie
06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I could have sworn Tiger was back? Did he leave?

PMI
06-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Another triumphant return for Tiger this coming week at Congressional. PMI's tickets just got more valuable (but probably only the Thursday and Friday tickets).

My tickets are already super valuable and awesome member's tickets that you have to be so special and good looking to get. I am looking to possibly upgrade to the middle of the fariway however. Even though I'm super connected at Congressional, if anyone can do some easy legwork for me in making this happen, I'll gladly allow you to do so for nothing in return.

X-band '01
06-20-2014, 03:00 PM
My tickets are already super valuable and awesome member's tickets that you have to be so special and good looking to get. I am looking to possibly upgrade to the middle of the fariway however. Even though I'm super connected at Congressional, if anyone can do some easy legwork for me in making this happen, I'll gladly allow you to do so for nothing in return.

Right post, wrong thread (refer to Seat Location).

GoMuskies
06-20-2014, 03:00 PM
I'd rep you for this sweet post......but, Obama.

paulxu
06-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Damn...a resurrected 2011 thread. Impressive.

muskiefan82
06-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Call Sweet16. I am sure he has better tickets.

bleedXblue
06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I predict a missed cut

MD Muskie
06-21-2014, 09:03 AM

I don't care what he is finishing position will be, I'm just happy I finally get to go to a golf tournament that Tiger Woods will be playing in. I could have gone to the US Open when it was at Congressional but i wanted nothing to do with that traffic nightmare.

paulxu
06-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I don't care what he is finishing position will be, I'm just happy I finally get to go to a golf tournament that Tiger Woods will be playing in. I could have gone to the US Open when it was at Congressional but i wanted nothing to do with that traffic nightmare.

Call PMI. He's got pull...and great seats.

chico
06-21-2014, 11:27 AM

If only Bobinski's son played golf...

X-man
06-21-2014, 11:35 AM

I saw two rounds of the PGA when it was at Valhalla, and Tiger won it. I also saw PGA events at Congressional in the old days (before Avenal was built next door), when I lived in DC, and got to see greats like Tom Watson up close and personal. I'll never forget being behind the 18th tee watching Tom Weiskopf hit a ball that seemed to rise about three times as it left the tee. Congressional is a fabulous course, and one I would have loved to play had I had the right connections.

MD Muskie
06-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I predict a missed cut

Not sure if this is a joke, just trolling Woods fans and/or haters, or if this is a legit prediction, but I don't think this tournament has a cut line because its an invitation only tournament for golfers.

GoMuskies
06-26-2014, 10:34 AM
In what should be a surprise to no one, Woods is being eaten alive by Congressional so far. +6 through 12 holes.

+6 is good for last place among the 60 players currently on the course.

GoMuskies
06-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Tiger's caught fire, though. 3 birdies in 5 holes to get back to +3.

GoMuskies
06-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Not sure if this is a joke, just trolling Woods fans and/or haters, or if this is a legit prediction, but I don't think this tournament has a cut line because its an invitation only tournament for golfers.

There is a cut this week, and it is currently +3. Tiger is +4 with 8 holes to play.

GoMuskies
06-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Hmm, to put it as kindly as possible....Tiger is currently tied with Patrick Cantlay and Keegan Bradley and is one shot back of Ernie Els.

DC Muskie
06-27-2014, 05:01 PM
+7 and missed the cut.

GoMuskies
12-05-2014, 01:23 PM
This particular comeback has been much better for Tiger. He's currently in 18th place at the Hero World Challenge.

drudy23
12-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Let's put an end to the Tiger Comeback...it's not going to happen.

bleedXblue
12-05-2014, 02:30 PM
He will win again. He won't come close to dominating the game the way he did. No one may ever do that again.

What's sad is that his decline was all self induced.

It's not all bad. He gets to go home to Lindsey Vonn.

PMI
12-05-2014, 02:42 PM
He will win again. He won't come close to dominating the game the way he did. No one may ever do that again.

What's sad is that his decline was all self induced.

It's not all bad. He gets to go home to Lindsey Vonn.

I wouldn't say his decline was all self-induced, unless it comes out that his injuries were related to something else. I get that his swing was very physically straining on the body, but it's not like he hasn't taken the time off to recover when he's needed it. I guess the exception to that would be finishing the US Open on the bad knee, but he did win that so it's hard to blame him for. Of course he won't come close to dominating the way he once did again. That was a unique run of dominance in the history of sports, and the competition, arguably in large part because of his success, is much deeper and tougher now. If I had to bet on it, I'd say he will win a tournament this year, but not a major. If he can be healthy for Augusta though, and not suffer one of the worst "F you's" from the golf gods of all time, I think he can be in the conversation there.

waggy
12-05-2014, 02:47 PM
He was on juice, and now he's not. Simple.

drudy23
12-05-2014, 02:49 PM
There's a point in everyone's life where they must admit to themselves "I'm not who I used to be" and change. Tiger is not willing to look at himself and admit that. It's physically impossible for him (or anyone else) to continue to play the way he always had. He will never be as dominant, but I think COULD catch Jack if he admits this and changes his game (focus less on the power and masters the finesse). Every great gets to this point....MJ developed the fade away and mastered his defense and leadership. He wasn't dunking on everyone his second go-round. Tiger has to do the same, but has to be willing to admit that he's not the same Tiger....that can be very hard for the ultra competitive.

To me, this is his biggest psychological hurdle.

XU 87
12-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Let's not forget that Tiger was player of the year two years ago and won about 6 tournaments, just not a major.

PMI
12-05-2014, 03:26 PM
There's a point in everyone's life where they must admit to themselves "I'm not who I used to be" and change. Tiger is not willing to look at himself and admit that. It's physically impossible for him (or anyone else) to continue to play the way he always had. He will never be as dominant, but I think COULD catch Jack if he admits this and changes his game (focus less on the power and masters the finesse). Every great gets to this point....MJ developed the fade away and mastered his defense and leadership. He wasn't dunking on everyone his second go-round. Tiger has to do the same, but has to be willing to admit that he's not the same Tiger....that can be very hard for the ultra competitive.

To me, this is his biggest psychological hurdle.

I don't really agree with that. In fact, Tiger has admitted (at least verbally) that he's not the player he used to be physically. You could point to things in his game that already have changed due to his age/condition now. He just hired a new swing coach who is supposed to be able to get more out of what he physically can do than he was getting before. I think you're right he has a psychological hurdle to overcome, but I don't think he's being delusional about where his game is at. Like 87 mentioned, he's not that far removed from an excellent year, that almost anyone else in the history of golf would've considered incredible. I believe his psychological hurdle has more to do with his putting in a circumstance where he no longer has the physical advantage he once did in the rest of his game. It's easier said than done, but he hasn't putted at a very high level in his recent majors. I think in a lot of them, his ball striking has actually been good enough to contend.

xu82
12-05-2014, 03:34 PM

The Lance Armstrong of the golf world? Lance kept using, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger still is too to some degree. His ego is too big to stop I'd think, he's just broken down over time and this could be one reason why. He's still capable of winning any given week, but it will never be him against the field again. I think he got a new swing coach. I wonder if he also replaced his Canadian doctor?

XU 87
12-05-2014, 03:40 PM

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/07/new-book-says-tiger-woods-paid.html

Where there's smoke there's fire?

DC Muskie
12-05-2014, 06:26 PM
I thought I read he was back.

xu82
12-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I thought I read he was back.

Or, it might have been "he's got a bad back".

And knee, and who knows what else when your Canadian doctor starts working on you...