PDA

View Full Version : The class of 2012 - are you satisfied?

Complete Nutter
07-26-2011, 09:24 AM
So, four 2012 recruits have now made a verbal commitment to come to Xavier. While there seems to be some speculation about Smith-Rivera still being a possibility, let us for the sake of argument assume that this is it and the class of 2012 is locked. So, to get a picture of this class, here are the players that gave a verbal, the players that at some point were considering X and the players that the school gave an offer to. Position by position, listed according to the position and the ranking that the players have at Scout.com right now.

Point Guards
# 62 Kareem Canty (Rivals 105, ESPN 90)
# 67 Semaj Christon (Rivals NR, ESPN NR)
# 85 Ray Lee (Rivals 124, ESPN NR)

Shooting Guards/Small Forwards
# 10 Rodney Purvis (Rivals 9, ESPN 7)
# 14 Kyle Anderson (Rivals 4, ESPN 10)
# 16 Gary Harris (Rivals 28, ESPN 16)
# 25 D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (Rivals 20, ESPN 32)
# 30 Jeremy Hollowell (Rivals 52, ESPN 41)
# 34 Torian Graham (Rivals 27, ESPN 24)
# 39 T.J. Warren (Rivals 36, ESPN 39)
# 53 Arnauld Adala Moto (Rivals 128, ESPN 53)
# 98 Ron Patterson (Rivals 127, ESPN 86)
# 99 Myles Davis (Rivals 123, ESPN NR)

Power Forwards
# 11 Anthony Bennett (Rivals 7, ESPN 46)
# 43 Elijah Macon (Rivals 49, ESPN 44)
# 52 Montrezl Harrell (Rivals 79, ESPN 59)
# 72 Steve Taylor (Rivals 122, ESPN 93)
# 96 Charles Mitchell (Rivals 74, ESPN NR)
NR James Farr (Rivals NR, ESPN NR)

Centers
# 5 Mitch McGary (Rivals 5, ESPN 4)
# 73 AJ Hammons (Rivals 90, ESPN 63)
# NR Sim Bhullar (he is the number 23 center on Scout and a number 148 prospect at Rivals)

It is a bit strange to feel so satisfied with the four players X got, when you look at all the talent the the Musketeers "didn't get". But for some reason it feels like a very good class to me.

Christon seems to be making some noise right now and should certainly rise in the rankings when Rivals and ESPN update their top 150 and top 100 lists. He allready is a 4 star/94 grade PG on ESPN. Just seen a couple of youtube clips of the players mentioned, but this feels like a clear win, X couldn't have gotten a better PG. I feel the same way about the centers, McGary never was a real possibility and Bhullar just seems to have more potential than the other centers on the list (Hammons, Mitchell). I don't really know anything about Farr, so don't know what to think about the PF position. Was there any chance that X could have had Bennett?

The SG/SF is the position where I thought X would get a really big name. After all the speculation about Purvis, Anderson, Graham and Smith-Rivera, getting Myles Davis seems a bit like a consolation prize. Don't get me wrong, he should be a very good college athlete and reading "the best shooter in the North East" about a SG certainly is nice. But looking back, after all the names thrown around, Davis is a bit meh.

Then again, rankings are just that. Rankings. You just have to trust the coaches at X, they have seen these players more than any of us or the writers at the recruiting sites. If they feel good about these four guys, then so should I. No question. So, while I might miss that one really big name in the class (assuming DSR don't recommit) the class over all does seem really really good.

One last thing, to see X in on almost half of the top 100 recruits is just fantastic.

xuwin
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm extremely happy with our roster at the guard and small forward positions. I would like to have another high quality recruit to plug into the power forward/center mix.

MADXSTER
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I think

Semaj will stay a top 75 player
Sim will be in the top 100
Myles will be in the top 100
Jalen will be in the top 100 for 2012
Farr will remain a 3 star but will not be ranked

One reason to be excited is that the stock in all of these guys is going up as we speak.

GoMuskies
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Fire Mack!

ThePowerOfX
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I think

Semaj will stay a top 75 player
Sim will be in the top 100
Myles will be in the top 100
Jalen will be in the top 100 for 2012
Farr will remain a 3 star but will not be ranked

One reason to be excited is that the stock in all of these guys is going up as we speak.

I think those are spot on for the most part, I would actually say Jalen barely sneaks into top 150, but Farr will be at least a few spots ahead of him IMO. I think Semaj will be top 50. I'm not sure we will ever know how high Sim will be since I think he will be on campus in the fall. Either way, unreal job by our coaching staff.

MADXSTER
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I think those are spot on for the most part, I would actually say Jalen barely sneaks into top 150, but Farr will be at least a few spots ahead of him IMO. I think Semaj will be top 50. I'm not sure we will ever know how high Sim will be since I think he will be on campus in the fall. Either way, unreal job by our coaching staff.

Jalen is ranked 111 by Rivals at this point in the 2011 class. I think he'll move up a bit once he is reclassified into the 2012 group.

XUFan09
07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Jalen is ranked 111 by Rivals at this point in the 2011 class. I think he'll move up a bit once he is reclassified into the 2012 group.

Beat me to it. I'd bet he's somewhere in the 80s or 90s.

paulxu
07-26-2011, 02:02 PM

This is what the last 10 years of dedication to excellence has earned us.
In the old days, committing to X might make a recruit's stock drop. Not anymore.

smileyy
07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I think XU targets the guys it does for a reason. I expect all of them to rise in the rankings (see Dez Wells) as time goes on. There's too much noise around the top-rated prospects, and very little that lets you objectively say that guy #15 is going to be a better player than guy #150. But if you've got a system that guy #150 is going to blow up, you can be the first one in his ear, laying a smooth path to XU.

bobbiemcgee
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
We got 2 four star guards in the last week. Superb backcourts for 5 more years. I'm ecstatic. 'nuff said.

Benxman
08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
As we found out this past week, they don't count until they sign the LOI. Ah Sim we hardly knew ya. So, having said that, I will wait until Nov. to celebrate ... or not.
However, with the expectation that Christon, Farr, Myles and Jalen do sign, I think we have a good class.
Now, let's hope they all make it to campus next year as eligible,signed, sealed and delivered studet athetes. :)

GO MUSKIES!

:sword:

waggy
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Great class. Yes.

SixFig
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Considering this was the class I thought we might land our first McD All American (DSR, Rodney Purvis, Gary Harris) I have to say, I'm a slight bit disappointed.

However, this is a great class and who knows what might happen. I am satisfied

ArizonaXUGrad
08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I believe Sherwin Anderson was a McD All-America so was Drew Lavender.

GoMuskies
08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I believe Sherwin Anderson was a McD All-America

Sherwin Anderson?!? You must be on heavy medication.

PMI
08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Drew was but he didn't commit to Xavier out of high school, so we're still looking to land our first one.