PDA

View Full Version : XU Froshman Wins Ohio AM

joe titan
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Incoming FR Korey Ward shot 283 @ NCR to win Ohio Am title but he says he cannot wait to go head up vs. Dez Wells.

Masterofreality
07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Ho, hum.....

Just another Xavier guy who wins in Dayton. Nice job at NCR.

BTW. X Golf coach Doug Steiner is still trying to finish up funding for his all season golf practice facility in conjunction with Maketewah. There are various levels of sponsorship that will memorialize your contribution. I'm already in for a good chunk. If you have a few extra bucks, this is a worthy cause. Doug is dong a helluva job with the program.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/02/22/00/slideshow_1002227541_ddn071611spohioam25.jpg

xudash
07-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Ho, hum.....

Just another Xavier guy who wins in Dayton. Nice job at NCR.

BTW. X Golf coach Doug Steiner is still trying to finish up funding for his all season golf practice facility in conjunction with Maketewah. There are various levels of sponsorship that will memorialize your contribution. I'm already in for a good chunk. If you have a few extra bucks, this is a worthy cause. Doug is dong a helluva job with the program.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/02/22/00/slideshow_1002227541_ddn071611spohioam25.jpg

I'll second this.

You will now begin to see more and more Xavier golfers achieving at this level, and hopefully beyond this level in the pro circuits. We can thank Doug Steiner for that. He works tirelessly as he continues to build what is fast becoming a top-flight collegiate golf program.

As fans of Xavier basketball, everyone here can appreciate the concept of "facilities race" in collegiate sports. You may be surprised to know that many top BCS level programs have or are pursuing facilities like the one Doug has designed (for men's and women's golf, actually).

If you hate golf and don't care, no problem. If you feel that you're already giving enough to X, no problem. If, as MOR wrote, you have a few extra bucks and you see this as another step in adding to Xavier athletics - and Xavier overall - consider it.

Imagine X with both NBA alumni and PGA alumni garnering press, contributing back to Xavier, and coming home from time to time.

Muskied
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Subscription to Dayton Daily news....worthless

Ohio Amature Champ on the sports cover page wearing a Xavier Lid....PRICELESS!

joe titan
07-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Worth mentioning the improved facilities will be used by both men & women golfers

Further note re: Korey--XU chosen over Buckeyes who otherwise might be thought to have a slight edge in collegiate golf program.

To further MOR, NCR is home course to the Flyers

AdamtheFlyer
07-21-2011, 11:03 PM
You beat Michael Bernard and you've done something good. Bernard had the lead going into the final round, was defending champ (youngest ever at 16), and by the time he graduates from OSU and turns pro in 5 years will likely be the second best HS/college aged amateur in Ohio history behind Nicklaus. But Ward held tough when others stumbled in the 4th round, which is impressive. One of the toughest things to do in golf is succeed when your playing partners are struggling.

NCR South is a beast. When in true tourney form (it wasn't for this, they had to over-water the greens and thin out the rough due to lack of rain), it's arguably tougher than Muirfield and Firestone. If they had room to add a couple hundred yards it would be US Open worthy.

joe titan
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
ATF: Enough w/the hyperbolic predictions. Bernard (from Huber Heights) is a fine player but saying he would be #2 to Big Jack is unwarranted. Ever hear of Weiskopf ? 0r how about Ben Curtis ? Or Andy Sanders & Ralph Guarasci ? Some kids climb the ladder while others just do not live up to all the teenage hype.

AdamtheFlyer
07-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I saw Ben Curtis up close in 1999 when he won the Ohio Am at Moraine Country Club. He was entering his senior year of college. Bernard won it entering his junior year of high school, the youngest champ ever, and was 9 holes away from joining Curtis, Cook and Palmer as the only back to back winners before his senior year. There's nothing unrealistic in what I said. Give it 4 years and see where he's at. He'll be up there.

joe titan
07-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I cannot tell what is least acceptable in your posts: (i) hijacking the thread from Korey Ward winning, (ii) claiming Michael Bernard will be #2 to Jack in Ohio amateur golf history, or (iii) missing the point of my reply post.

Condoning the diversion given these non-bb forums can be more open, nothing can detract from Michael winning last year's Ohio AM to add to his stellar record already. But face it, this year he could not hold the 54 hole lead and posted a big fat 77 to lose.

He can write his own golf story in years to come, but lots of guys before him were labeled "can't miss" and the "next Nicklaus" only to find out how fickle the golf gods can be. I mentioned Ralph & Andy who were dominate as juniors, multi-time All Americans in college (at OSU & Houston respectively) but could not make the next level. Let's see how many All American (top 5 national players) lists include Michael.

Even looking at amateur records only, to say Michael will be #2 to Jack at this point is ludicrous. As MOR often relates, the competition level is sliced ever so thin between winning and also-rans, and Michael has too far to go. You mentioned Cook whose amateur record is more than enviable. Michael would do quite well to approach John Cook in collegiate years; he is off to a good start but the road gets much steeper in college.

You even backpedal from claiming he will be #2 behind Jack to an amorphous "up there" when others accomplished at the greater collegiate level only set the bar for Michael over the next 5 years. Let's allow him to play & then applaud how well he performs. I am certainly not denying his every chance.