PDA

View Full Version : For the alcoholics on the board

BBC 08
02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Found a list of Top 20 Beers (http://listverse.com/entertainment/top-20-beers/).

BiggieXU
02-18-2008, 02:13 PM
mmmm Yuengling, although Newcastle is my current favorite

PM Thor
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I like exactly 4 of this list. Budweiser? Budweiser on any list should start....This list sucks....

Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Go get some right now, it's only around until the end of March...

94GRAD
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Good tasting beer is over rated. After your forth or fifth one, they all taste the same. At number fifteen, you're not going to remember the previos night anyway.

boozehound
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Amstel light is about as good of a light beer as there is IMHO. Rogue is a decent beer. Stella is OK. Guiness is excellent. I think that Sierra Nevada tastes like crap. I'm not much of a beer drinker though. I prefer Whiskey.

DC Muskie
02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
That guy was drunk when he made that list.

XU05and07
02-18-2008, 02:53 PM
#17 is way too low for Smithwick's...My favorite beer but it should be insulted to be included on that list...FOSTERS?!?! really, come on

Stella is awesome as well...that should be higher.

Guinness should only be included if you are drinking in a pub in Ireland and it is a couple days old...Once you have had it fresh, you will find it hard to drink in the states.

94GRAD
02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
A glaring omission is Fat Tire Amber. Very tasty.

kyxu
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I also agree that Sierra Nevada tastes like crap. Amstel Light is a very fine light beer. Stella is very good, and I agree that Smithwick's should be higher on the list. Guinness should be on any top 20 beer list.

However, the presence of Foster's on this list is really quite odd. That beer is terrible.

One item on the list that not many have heard of, but I would recommend to anyone here who hasn't tried it, is Sammy Smith. It's like drinking a loaf of bread, but it's incredibly tasty. Man, I love being Catholic and able to drink.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 03:12 PM
That list sucks out loud. What sort of list has something at #1 that you can't get? That is just stupid. The fact that the author busted into a stash of beers that he didn't know what he was getting into confirms that he is a know-nothing dickhead.

Several of the beers on the list (Budweiser, Corona, Iron City) have their place of certain lists, but not on a 'comprehensive' list of the 20 best beers. (Iron City belongs on the list of 20 crappiest beers I've ever had)

So much of beer is preference too. I prefer IPA's, so I'm going to rank hoppy beers higher on my list of favorites, but that doesn't mean I don't like other beers too.

I've seen a lot of lists, and usually I'll get an idea or two from each. The only idea I got from this one was that there is a lot of garbage on the internet.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
If you think Foster's is terrible, you probably haven't had a good one. Foster's and Stella are rather similar. I think a lot of people associate something with Fosters because of the 'oil-can'.

I'm not sure I agree with the Sammy Smith "loaf of bread" comment either. I guess it depends on which of their offerings you are sampling.

Stonebreaker
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I would have seen this thread earlier, but I was in a drunken stupor. Please note, I am the founding member of the XH double hitters drinking club.

94GRAD
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I would have seen this thread earlier, but I was in a drunken stupor. Please note, I am the founding member of the XH double hitters drinking club.

As a bar owner, one would think I would have been invited into this club. :D

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Everyone is invited. Come on in and pick a stool.

kyxu
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
If you think Foster's is terrible, you probably haven't had a good one. Foster's and Stella are rather similar. I think a lot of people associate something with Fosters because of the 'oil-can'.

I'm not sure I agree with the Sammy Smith "loaf of bread" comment either. I guess it depends on which of their offerings you are sampling.

Not sure I agree that Stella and Foster's are similar. It's been awhile since I've had Foster's, but I remember hating it, but liking Stella (didn't know what it was until someone told me).

I think I had the Sammy Smith "oatmeal & something or other..." I really liked it.

But it's just a matter of taste, I guess. We don't have to like every beer ;)

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd say give Fosters another try on tap somewhere they serve a lot. I'd be surprised if you still hate it. Beer tastes, like food tastes, develop over time. I know many, many people that hated beer when they first tried it, and several that still dislike the taste but enjoy the effects.

That probably would have been the Oatmeal stout from Sammy Smith. I think I said on another thread somewhere that I haven't met a Sammy Smith that I don't like. Try them all! I haven't been there in a while, but Alive One used to have a $2 bottles night. Any bottle, and they had several Sammy Smith offerings. That would be a good place to try them out. You'll have a hard time finding Sammy for $2 anywhere.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I just checked alive one's site, and they list Tuesday as $2 beer night, and everyday from 6-9 pm, $2 imports/micros.

I might have to hang out there more often.

Strange Brew
02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll second the Fat Tire nomination. I always look for it when I'm out west.

kyxu
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I just checked alive one's site, and they list Tuesday as $2 beer night, and everyday from 6-9 pm, $2 imports/micros.

I might have to hang out there more often.

Absolutely. Good looking out, thanks!

eXdrummer
02-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Kindof an obscure one, but I'm a huge fan of wheat beers, and I find the weizen at Hofbrauhaus to be outstanding.

94GRAD
02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Kindof an obscure one, but I'm a huge fan of wheat beers, and I find the weizen at Hofbrauhaus to be outstanding.

If you like wheat beers, try Erdinger. It is the best Hefe-Weizen I've ever had.

Nigel Tufnel
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
That list is pretty bad. I really only agree with Victory being on there. How you can have a list of the best 20 beers and not have anything from Dogfish Head, Bells, Great Lakes, Two Brothers, Alesmith, New Holland, The Great Divide, or Three Floyd's is beyond me. I liked Guiness a long time ago...before I actually had some real stouts. Now, I can barely drink it...maybe one on St. Patrick's Day...that's about it.

Anyone who really enjoys their beer and lives north of Cincy should stop by River's Bend Wine & Spirits. The selection isn't enormous like Jungle Jim's or The Party Source, but they have a great selection of premium beers. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine. Microbrews galore...and if you like Belgium Ales, they have pretty much anything you want.

May have to stop by there before the game tonight.

Lasser83
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I like exactly 4 of this list. Budweiser? Budweiser on any list should start....This list sucks...

I think Budweiser is underrated. I agree with everything this blog says about it:

http://crookedtimber.org/2007/05/10/in-praise-of-budweiser-contains-extended-footnotes/

Budweiser is a great lager. And I love Lagers and their more subtle flavors than ales.

Kahns Krazy
02-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Budweiser is a fine beer. Over my life, I will drink more Bud and Bud light than most other beers combined. For thirst quenching, I love domestics, and I fall on the Bud side more than the Miller side.

nuts4xu
02-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I have had all but 5 beers on this list, and no way would many of these beers made my top 20 (Iron City and Corona for starters). I am a pale ale guy, and how Bass didn't make this list, is beyond me. I like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

I agree that the omission of Fat Tire is another travesty. That stuff is awesome. Mt Washington Ice and Beer will boot leg the stuff from time to time. But the operation is obviously very hush, hush, and you have to know someone to get your hands on a case.

It is a rare occasion that I turn down a Budweiser. I was drinking Bud Deisel when my friends were chugging Natty and Busch Lights (not that there is anything wrong with that). I find if I must drink Light beer, Miller Lite has the most flavor, and in fact tastes closer to a Budweiser than any light beer I can find.

BBC 08
02-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Another beer that should have made the list is also the newest addition to the Dana's beer selection, Magic Hat No. 9.

Fred Garvin
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I get a kick out of Dusty as the beer expert. The first 8 years I knew him he derided me for my "fancy beers". Then he saw Skip with a Guiness, suddenly he was a convert. Even named his dog Guiness. Dusty always was a dilettante.

I pretty much go by brewery these days. Dogfish, Bell's, Stone, Sam Smith's, Victory, Weyerbacher, Three Floyd's. Someone mentioned a Victory omission but they were represented in the Hop Devil. As we speak I'm enjoying their Golden Monkey. It weighs in at 9.5. As most, it is better on tap. I once had it at the Brown Dog Cafe on Pheiffer and it was impressive. As was the Brown Dog Cafe.

I don't think the Three Floyd's is currently available. My pony keg guy said they were having issues. They are out of Munster. I love their Robert The Bruce.

My current fave is Bell's Hopslam(at about 9%). I find Smithwick's to be overrated. It is only about 4.5% alcohol and I'm not paying $9 for that. That is the case with most of these imported stouts. You are only about 5% unless you go for the imperial stout.

Finally I was impressed with Am X's Dogfish selection on the Musketeer Madness thread. I can't remember what it is called. It has raisins and definitley gives the DT"s.

chico
02-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, Fat Tire is very good. Every time I visit St. Louis I come back with a case.

Newcastle is also a very, very good beer, but I think you need to like that kind of beer to really enjoy it. I'm also a fan of the old Christian Moerlein, but haven't yet tried the new one. Sam Adams Light is also very good.

And no list of top beers is complete without Little Kings Cream Ale.

Fred Garvin
02-18-2008, 10:04 PM
I haven't had the Fat Tire since the last time I visited Colorodo. I didn't know you could get it in St.Louis. What is the fatherst East you can find it?

I remember about 10 years ago I could find Philly's Dock St. Then they suddenly had no distribution. Any Philly people on here?

joebba
02-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't had the Fat Tire since the last time I visited Colorodo. I didn't know you could get it in St.Louis. What is the fatherst East you can find it?

I remember about 10 years ago I could find Philly's Dock St. Then they suddenly had no distribution. Any Philly people on here?

Check with the Bandit. Maybe he can go on a run for you.

XU0001
02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Yuengling..... enough said! Any time someone travels to an area where there is Yuengling we have them pick some up for us. We even get it for Christmas and birthday presents from friends and family. We even went to a wedding in Florida and of course they had Yuengling on draft, well let's just say it didn't last too long as our friends drank it all.

Lloyd Christmas
02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Any list that includes Corona in the top 20 is a joke. I haven't meant anyone that enoys Corona without the lime, and you shouldn't need fruit to make a beer drinkable.

joebba
02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Yuengling. This is Yoda's favorite drink to give the Jedi trainees for teaching drunken Jedi fighting techniques.

http://yodafans.homestead.com/files/customs/td6yodaheadcloseup.jpg

xuirish
02-18-2008, 10:30 PM
This list is blasphemy. He didn't list Harp, what a fool

chico
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM

As strange as it sounds, I think the Mississippi River is the farthest east you can find Fat Tire.

Strange Brew
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
One of the best business trips of recent memory was a trip to Philly and the hotel I was staying at was serving $1 16oz Yuengling drafts. That was a great night.

xuirish
02-18-2008, 10:58 PM
One of the best business trips of recent memory was a trip to Philly and the hotel I was staying at was serving $1 16oz Yuengling drafts. That was a great night.

The wife and I were in Erie Pa last september and the bar we were out had a similar deal, I think it might of been $1.50, but either way let's just say i'm glad our hotel was within walking distance.

waggy
02-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Man, I love being Catholic and able to drink.

:confused:

Does God have different rules for different churches?

94GRAD
02-19-2008, 12:00 AM
:confused:

Does God have different rules for different churches?

Baptists are not allowed to drink

waggy
02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I guess I'm out then. But there are lots of reasons why.

Fred Garvin
02-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Not a fan of the Yuenling. My brother owns a bar and an old frat brother got him a couple twelves. He gave me one and gave me the entire "if you say lager in Penn it's a Yuenling" spiel. Wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not judging, I realize how local beer can become emotional. I guess I wanted to feel I was drinking good beer and still drinking beer the guys in Deer Hunter would have drank.

BTW, don't know if you folk saw it but there was an excellent documentarty on PBS recently about Penn brewries. It included Victory and the newer ones.

Kahns Krazy
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
I get a kick out of Dusty as the beer expert. The first 8 years I knew him he derided me for my "fancy beers". Then he saw Skip with a Guiness, suddenly he was a convert. Dusty always was a dilettante.

This is mostly true. Fred has taught me much about the world of beers. I have no idea what a dilettante is, but I'm sure I've always been one.

msj61
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm also a big fan of wheat beers. Some you should check out if you haven't already:
Goose Island 312, Barrel House Hocking Hills, Sam Adam's Hefeweisen, Widmer, and Magic Hat's Circus Boy.

If you like Witbier's: Sam Adam's White Ale, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Bell's Winter White, and Rock Bottom's Tiger White are all very good.

American X
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Finally I was impressed with Am X's Dogfish selection on the Musketeer Madness thread. I can't remember what it is called. It has raisins and definitley gives the DT"s.

Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre - proof their is a God because you will see him after ingesting enough. An excellent brewery all-around.

For beer connoisseurs, seek out Baltic from Russia - numbered 1 through 9 varying in potency and flavor. Not easy to find, but readily available in areas of Russian mob concentration like Brighton Beach.

muskee2000
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
As far as Wheat beers go, I have to mention the oldest brewery in the world, Weihenstephaner. My personal favorite though I am biased to German beers. Kostritzer is also very good and believe they have that at the Party Source.

Living out in PA, I discovered this Yuengling in much the same manner as others. An Irish pub has it for $1 during happy hour and it is tremendous. Also tastes good with a cheese steak at the new ballpark in Philly. I have heard though that there are 'good' and 'bad' batches of it. They make a nice version of black and tan as well.

MuskieMax
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
This list sucks... Iron City is a terrible beer, the new Jimmy Buffett beer "Land Shark" is better than Corona - you can drink the last sip without making a skunk face. There are some really good beers on that list but most of them are to hard to get in the states or they do not taste as good in Ireland - like Guinness and Smithwick's.

I would like to see a list of the best American micro brews - I think that would be a more interesting ranking. Everyone has their own favorite beer and also the one beer that they had to much in college.

XU0001
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Tried Land Shark on Friday, tasted very similar to Corona, needed a lime to go with it but couldn't drink too many. Maybe you need to save them for a yealy trip to Margaritaville

Kahns Krazy
02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
... Everyone has their own favorite beer and also the one beer that they had to much in college.

Goebel. By the grace of beer gods, this swill was sent to an brewing grave. I remember this crap as being about $7 for a 24-pack suitcase in 1991. God that crap was horrible.

Vinny99
02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Good tasting beer is over rated. After your forth or fifth one, they all taste the same. At number fifteen, you're not going to remember the previos night anyway.

Spoken like an expert!

94GRAD
02-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Spoken like an expert!

Thank you for letting me be your first, quote that is.

pickledpigsfeet
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Goebel. By the grace of beer gods, this swill was sent to an brewing grave. I remember this crap as being about $7 for a 24-pack suitcase in 1991. God that crap was horrible.

American Light was ours. $6.29 for a 24 pack. It tasted pretty close to the same warm as it did cold, which was both good and bad.

xuirish
02-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Thank you for letting me be your first.

That's what she said.

Fred Garvin
02-26-2008, 01:25 AM
There is a guy who writes a beer column for the Cincinnati Enquirer, Ed Westeiner, or something like that. They don't publish it as much as they once did. Anyway he advises getting one of these four packs they sell of a particular type of beer that they make annually. You could get Paulaner's Oktoberfest. They make a four pack of say 04', 05, etc.
The idea being to compare different vintages.

Has anyone done this? I think it would have to be bottle-conditioned as those can stand up to cellar aging. One place you can get them is at the Dilly Deli in Mariemont, OH.

His column is always informative. Something along the line of Michael The Beer Hunter Jackson. I remember he had a great piece on hefeweizen and how the lemon peel should be forsaken.

Lloyd Braun
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I like exactly 4 of this list. Budweiser? Budweiser on any list should start....This list sucks....

Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Go get some right now, it's only around until the end of March...

Better yet, come to Clevetown and get it on tap. The 9.0% ABV increases on tap there. Heaven in a glass.