PDA

View Full Version : Screw Teaching, New Career HELP

stophorseabuse
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Guys, I have had it with teaching. I am calling bullshit on the education system, and I really can't take the profession serious anymore. There are some AMAZING teachers, but the system is so screwed up I don't see good teachers being able to do their job anymore. The old saying those who can do, those who can't teach--that is really not true across the board. However, those who can are basically always shut down by those who can't.

Regardless, my question is, what field would I translate into? I have done a LOT of management with staff/scheduling, and frankly I am very good at it, and I am effecient. I would have very strong references. I work extremely well with people. I have a strong reputation with my work ethic.

I am thinking of throwing myself into hospitality management. I am moving to Jekyll Island Georgia in 2 weeks, it is a major tourist area without a great deal of educated people. There is also a local college that offers a certificate in the field. I am also expecting the economy to spike back in the next few years and there to be a run on hiring.

Anyway, you guys who have a feel for this, what should my MO be? Should I step into an entry level position and just start? go to the college program? Both?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated. I'm starting to realize if I'm going to work in a dirty field I just as well make coin.

Pluto
05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
You could also look into corporate training. Your skills would be transferrable and you would have a "normal" work environment.

GoMuskies
05-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Go to law school. Clients are like spoiled children, so you'll know how to handle them better than most.

jhelmes37
05-06-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm interested to see where this thread goes. I'm wondering the same thing.

7 years of experience, and laid off for next year unless I get a call back. They slipped 270 in my district up in MI.

With the economy, if I don't get called back, there will be ZERO districts hiring. What on earth would I do with such a specific degree.

It's such a shame to be young and good at teaching and to get hosed by seniority while there are dinosaurs who teach kids NOTHING who have their jobs forever simply because they are old. Not to turn this into a debate on unions.

Does anybody with any knowledge have any clue of positions that aren't education related that would require a degree and take a teaching degree? With 3+ years of retail and 7 years of teaching, I've got the people skills thing down.

XU Cowbell Kid
05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
I just graduated and found a job with the government. It is a really good deal and most agencies, from what I can tell, are going on a big hiring push right now. There is this pretty sweet website called USAjobs.gov, if you go there you can browse for things that suit your field and your geographical area. You would probably have to start at the entry level, but I think it would be worth it because the job security is amazing.

Good luck to both of you!

danaandvictory
05-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Go to law school. Clients are like spoiled children, so you'll know how to handle them better than most.

I can't think of a worse career move right now than going to law school. Schools are churning out JDs as fast as they can while everyone in the field is cutting back.

GoMuskies
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I can't think of a worse career move right now than going to law school. Schools are churning out JDs as fast as they can while everyone in the field is cutting back.

Well, the key is to not be an idiot. A lot of the JDs being churned out are. A good schoolteacher will have a lot of the skills that make attorneys successful in real life.

stophorseabuse
05-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Go, if I was younger and had time to go through Law School I would. I should have done that 10 years ago. However, I'm ready to go to work and cash checks. This move is all about dollar signs.

drudy23
05-06-2011, 09:45 AM
As mentioned above, your best bet will be in corporate training. Check out ASTD or GCHRA for Cincinnati based networking opportunities/events.

Actually, your best best bet will be having a good buddy that owns his own company...other than that, see above.

stophorseabuse
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
And on a side note, my wife is about a year from opening up a tatoo shop. She will make great money at that, and if she does well enough I will play golf all day everyday. Maybe I will even become passable as a golfer. :)

kmcrawfo
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
If you meet certain basic science prereqs in a little over 2 years you can earn a Physician's Assistant degree, have great job security, and make $85,000 to 200,000 per year depending on what specialty you enter (primary care the lowest, dermatology the highest).

Good investment vs. earning potential/job security.

joe titan
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Start your own Corporate Training/Consulting company. Probably target small/medium size clients. Use writing skills to publish manuals, videos, etc.

Alternative is HR related positions, but those early level jobs are not high pay.

X-man
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM

I totally agree. And I would also stay away from "certificate" programs unless you are confident that the kinds of jobs you are interested want that sort of certification. If they don't, I would get my foot in the door any way I could and then work my way up through experience and insider connections.

LA Muskie
05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
If you're a lawyer and recommending that someone go to law school, then that's just plain mean. My first words of advice when someone tells me they're going to law school is "change your mind."

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so back to the OP: hospitality is a bitch. It's a cut-throat industry, folks aren't particularly nice, and you have to work unconventional hours (a nice way of saying you have to work nights and weekends when you'd probably prefer to be with your family). I like the corporate training suggestion.

stophorseabuse
05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I appreciate it guys,

Joe, the corporate consulting idea is tempting. I don't know if I have the coin to start something right now, but I would definately be good at any form of training. Thing is, I gotta know the material I train on. (The prob with bad teachers).

BTW, I would LOVE to travel for my work. I will look into training companies.

GoMuskies
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
If you're a lawyer and recommending that someone go to law school, then that's just plain mean. My first words of advice when someone tells me they're going to law school is "change your mind."

Now that I'm in-house, my perspective on all that has changed. Life is much better.

And I tell fresh out of college with no skills kids to change their mind about law school. Actual professionals with actual skills acquired pre law school is what the profession needs more of (and those people stand a much better chance of getting the precious few good jobs available for fresh law grads).

boozehound
05-06-2011, 10:09 AM

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so back to the OP: hospitality is a bitch. It's a cut-throat industry, folks aren't particularly nice, and you have to work unconventional hours (a nice way of saying you have to work nights and weekends when you'd probably prefer to be with your family). I like the corporate training suggestion.

I agree. Hospitality can really blow, has high turnover, and requires crazy hours. You would really have to love it to want to live it.

Corporate training sounds like a good idea, but may be hard to do from Jekyll Island.

muskiefan82
05-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Your education degree is more transferable than you may realize. All large corporations, state and federal agencies need individuals experienced in providing training and education to internal staff. This is often a function of human resources in many instances; however, many agencies have separate education departments. The creation and implementation of training/educational programs coupled with metrics to measure effectiveness are skills that are needed.

Search training as a keyword on USAJOBS.gov and see what comes up. I think you'll be surprised.

Juice
05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Now that I'm in-house, my perspective on all that has changed. Life is much better.

And I tell fresh out of college with no skills kids to change their mind about law school. Actual professionals with actual skills acquired pre law school is what the profession needs more of (and those people stand a much better chance of getting the precious few good jobs available for fresh law grads).

At the very least a kid should take a year or two off from school before he or she heads to law school. Law school sucks.

GoMuskies
05-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Law school sucks.

If you've never worked before, that's probably true. If you've spent a few years in the workforce, there's a pretty good chance you'll disagree. I enjoyed the hell out of law school (other than during finals).

madness31
05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I wish you luck in your search but I'm curious what makes you think that the economy is going to accelerate in the next 2 to 3 years? The recession ended 2 years ago and recent history shows a recession about every 5 years. Given that, expecting growth for the next 3 years would be reasonable but this should be the sweet spot right now. The problem I have with this forecast is that there are numerous structural problems with the US economy. Hiring will grow a bit but rapid expansion will likely never happen and the next recession could start as early as 2012. Payroll taxes were cut 2% this year and that is projected to go away next year. This will hit consumers hard as everyone with a job will instantly have 2% less to spend. The other issue is that commodity prices will stay high and likely trend higher (with pullbacks here and there). This too will make it difficult for real economic growth to take place. Combine those items with continued job cuts at government (good for long-term but bad for short-term) and it appears likely that the US will grow slowly or fall back into another recession.

The above doesn't even discuss the potential for a foreign economic shock. Emerging market growth has kept US businesses performing at a high level. Should anything derail that growth and job cuts will follow.

The best career advice is to pursue something you will enjoy. If you love your job, you will work harder and be more successful.

LA Muskie
05-06-2011, 11:18 AM
If you've never worked before, that's probably true. If you've spent a few years in the workforce, there's a pretty good chance you'll disagree. I enjoyed the hell out of law school (other than during finals).

I had a blast in law school and, in the process, met my wife and most of my best friends. The law school experience isn't the problem. Nor was working at a big firm -- where I made many other lifelong friends and worked long hours (but entirely reasonable for the comp in my eyes). It's just that the profession has changed so much, and the economy has affected the business so much, that I can't in good conscience suggest that someone incur upwards of $150k in debt (i.e., a mortgage) when the odds of a well-paying job to pay off that debt are stacked against them to the extent they currently are.

As for in-house, I guess everything's in the eye of the beholder. I worked in-house for about a year and a half. It wasn't for me. The work was repetitive and I couldn't stand the corporate culture (namely the corporate politics that really don't exist in law firms). I now have my own boutique litigation firm (currently 3 lawyers) and am happier than I've ever been career-wise. I'd rank my experiences: (i) my own small firm; (ii) big firm; (iii) in-house job. Then again, my wife is in-house and much, much prefers it to both of the big firms she worked for.

LA Muskie
05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
At the very least a kid should take a year or two off from school before he or she heads to law school. Law school sucks.
I disagree that law school sucks. I do agree that everyone should take a year or two off to get some perspective. I treated law school like college, which is to say that I had a ton of fun but didn't really work as hard as I should have, and I didn't take advantage of my opportunities. I came out fine because I'm a good test taker, but other doors would have opened if I'd put in a more appropriate level of effort.

By far the hardest working law students were those who took a few years off and worked. They knew that working hard at law school was still far less work than actual work in the real world. I'm not going to say that they all did as well as those who went straight through (because exams play a way-too-disproportionate role in class rank, and some people are better test-takers regardless of how they get to law school), but to me they were bound to be the best lawyers.

GoMuskies
05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
It definitely has to be the right in-house fit. Some of the things I looked at would have been miserable, but I'm pretty sure I hit the jackpot.

Big firm life would have been great without the partners and clients. As it is, it was a necessary evil. Learned a lot, but the idea of going back and doing it over again makes my skin crawl.

ArizonaXUGrad
05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
It's not that law school sucks, it's that they are basically charging kids 50-100k for it and they basically graduate with no jobs. Well, some government jobs are out there for criminal defense etc but they don't pay enough to pay down your college loans. It gets worse if you have under-graduate loans.

To the OP, if you have a masters in something you can teach community college. It's a whole different ball game. If cash flow is really the issue do what you can to keep it coming in. I know far too many people during the down times that failed to take advantage of even lesser paying jobs to keep the cash flowing.

sweet16
05-06-2011, 11:53 AM
If you haven't already done so you may want to take a look at the CME functions at most, if not all, pharmaceutical companies.......at least that endeavor would not be a complete departure from your education background. Good luck!

blobfan
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree. Hospitality can really blow, has high turnover, and requires crazy hours. You would really have to love it to want to live it.

Corporate training sounds like a good idea, but may be hard to do from Jekyll Island.

What about hospitality related training? You can teach; you probably have good customer/client service skills. Reach out to the tourism bureau in your new home area and see if they have training opps there.

Nigel Tufnel
05-06-2011, 12:27 PM
This is kind of a stop gap suggestion....if you are looking for other work but would like to make some money (probably not a lot) in the meantime, you could take a class and get your Guardian ad Litem certification. Courts are always looking for someone with experience dealing with children. You could get appointed to do GAL work, work your own hours and take home some money while looking at other opportunities.

The amount of money you would make would basically depend on how many cases you wish to take. I don't know that it would be economically feasible for you to do it full time, but like I said, it could get you some income until you find what you are looking for.

Your experience as a teacher would make you extremely qualified to do that job. You may have to testify in some cases, but the majority of cases would get worked out based on your recommendation to the court. The better your report, the better the chance you won't need to testify...of course, you will get paid for your time to testify if it comes to that.

Doing GAL work for people fighting over custody of their children isn't too bad...if you decide to get involved in children services work, it could get a little more troubling (in that you will see some pretty repugnant stuff).

Just a thought....

XULucho27
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Where were all of you 2 years ago when I got into law school to dissuade me from pursuing this path?! In all seriousness law school is a joke, it's basically one big networking circle jerk sprinkled with some useless classes that teach you absolutely NOTHING about how to practice law.

I don't regret coming to law school because I am actually a nerd and thoroughly enjoy writing, researching, and most of all, litigating. However, I would not recommend it to someone who wasn't passionate about it or had a very clear plan. Also, don't even touch a school not ranked in the First Tier (Top 100).

It's not that law school sucks, it's that they are basically charging kids 50-100k for it and they basically graduate with no jobs. Well, some government jobs are out there for criminal defense etc but they don't pay enough to pay down your college loans.

While government jobs don't pay a lot, new legislation provides for total loan forgiveness if you work for a minimum of 10 years in a government office or licensed 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. So it's a trade-off, but in such a thin job market I would take a starting salary of 60K for example in Chicago coming right out of law school in return for no loans after that amount of time.

Edit: Best of luck in your search for a new career. I hope it all works out well for you guys!

Muskiefornia
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Straight from Xavier to law school. It sucks no doubt. If you have missed this and are considering; this is a fairly accurate depiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

GuyFawkes38
05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I've never been to law school. But I've heard from friends that it's a lot of fun (like high school with sex and alcohol).

The crappy part is trying to find a good job afterwards in an increasingly tough job market (lots of new law schools opening up the past 20 years, so it was even getting more difficult before the recession).

Muskie
05-06-2011, 01:35 PM

The job market for experience attorneys is bad... but the market for new lawyers is even worse.

Drew's Crew
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Guys, I have had it with teaching. I am calling bullshit on the education system, and I really can't take the profession serious anymore. There are some AMAZING teachers, but the system is so screwed up I don't see good teachers being able to do their job anymore. The old saying those who can do, those who can't teach--that is really not true across the board. However, those who can are basically always shut down by those who can't.

Regardless, my question is, what field would I translate into? I have done a LOT of management with staff/scheduling, and frankly I am very good at it, and I am effecient. I would have very strong references. I work extremely well with people. I have a strong reputation with my work ethic.

I am thinking of throwing myself into hospitality management. I am moving to Jekyll Island Georgia in 2 weeks, it is a major tourist area without a great deal of educated people. There is also a local college that offers a certificate in the field. I am also expecting the economy to spike back in the next few years and there to be a run on hiring.

Anyway, you guys who have a feel for this, what should my MO be? Should I step into an entry level position and just start? go to the college program? Both?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated. I'm starting to realize if I'm going to work in a dirty field I just as well make coin.

As a fellow teacher, I am sorry to hear you are so frustrated with the system. I agree that there are some serious issues with it, and unfortunately I don't see it changing too much any time soon. Although I have never thought of changing occupations and hopefully never have to, I would think that an EFFECTIVE teacher, which I am sure you are, would absolutely be desirable in many fields.

The ability to effectively communicate and manage people is one that is lost on much of society and experience inside a classroom allows one to have that first hand experience. Like I said, I don't know which career you would translate best to, but I wish you luck. And if you ever decide to teach again, we would love to have you back!

94GRAD
05-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Buy a bar. People drink when they are depressed and when they are happy!

UnCaged
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM

I loved law school...everything that I'm able to remember at least. However, it doesn't change the fact that going there now and taking on the $120k+ debt you'll likely be seeing is a great way to see how "real" life can get when you have an okay salary but can't afford squat.

XUglow
05-06-2011, 03:40 PM
My daughter just quit teaching. I hired her to work in phone sales and customer support. You probably have more skills at solving problems and dealing with difficult people than you realize.

jhelmes37
06-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Update: luckily I got my job back for next school year and I will be shaping America's youth yet again!!! Thank God I didn't have to become a gigalo.

GuyFawkes38
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Update: luckily I got my job back for next school year and I will be shaping America's youth yet again!!! Thank God I didn't have to become a gigalo.

Congrats!!!

Pablo's Brother
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I would avoid law school. Too much competition for a small amount of job openings. Have you considered Xavier's MHA program. One of the best in the nation, near 100% hire rate out of school and health care administration is lucrative/growing field.

bobbiemcgee
10-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Go EAST, young man:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boom-town-ohio-town-sees-thousands-jobs/story?id=14761821

GoMuskies
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Go EAST, young man:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boom-town-ohio-town-sees-thousands-jobs/story?id=14761821

Frackety frack. That's driving a lot of jobs. Steubenville may be a bit more attractive that going to ND and woking in the Bakken. They need people like crazy up there, too.