PDA

View Full Version : It's May (XH's Official Indy 500 Thread!!!)

xu95
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I am a day late in starting this thread, I should have started it the day after the race in Brazil. It is May and that means Indy. I am pumped. I can't wait. I will be there for both Pole Day and Bump Day and of course the big drunk fest that is the big race.

I love this month. Let's get racing.

xu95

GoMuskies
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
It is May and that means Indy.

Not until after the first Saturday in May passes.

HuskyMuskie
05-04-2011, 08:39 AM
I am a day late in starting this thread, I should have started it the day after the race in Brazil. It is May and that means Indy. I am pumped. I can't wait. I will be there for both Pole Day and Bump Day and of course the big drunk fest that is the big race.

xu95

xu95...are you from Indy?

xu95
05-04-2011, 09:11 AM
xu95...are you from Indy?

No, but outside of college sports IndyCar racing is my thing. It is the greatest event in all of racing and I start planning for the next years race after the one I was just at finished.

xu95

Muskie
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM

xu95

Text me. We can meet up as I'll be at both. Also good luck in the mini this weekend.

HuskyMuskie
05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Will be there as well. One of the greatest days all summmer.

BBC 08
05-04-2011, 09:30 AM
One of the greatest days all summmer.

While THE greatest day of all summer is this Saturday.

Muskie
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
While THE greatest day of all summer is this Saturday.

Is that because of the Mint Julip?

bigdiggins
05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I have never been to the Indy 500, but I did go to the Brickyard a couple of years ago.
When I was 13 years old I went to a 7th grade girls volleyball game.
The volleyball game was the only time in my life I have been more bored than that Brickyard race.
If the Indy 500 is anything like the Brickyard you could not pay me enough to go.

Muskie
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I have never been to the Indy 500, but I did go to the Brickyard a couple of years ago.
The volleyball game was the only time in my life I have been more bored than that Brickyard race.
If the Indy 500 is anything like the Brickyard you could not pay me enough to go.

The Brickyard race is a totally different experience from the Indy 500. I go to the 500 every year, and will not go to the Brickyard. Once you've seen a car go around at 225 it's hard to watch a car do the oval any slower (like the Nascars)

Olsingledigit
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Muskie is right - watching the taxi cabs (aka NASCAR) guys is boring (been to eight of them) but the Indy 500 is not only a great race but a great spectacle ("Stay tuned to the greatest spectacle in racing"). It is an experience you will never forget.

This will be my 53d Indy 500. It is also the 100 year anniversary of the first 500 in 1911.

Nothing like it.

X-band '01
05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

xu95

Would that be at the Speedway or at Brad's Brass Flamingo?

waggy
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Meira is my #1 (Junquiera 1a), and Servia is my #2. But I like them all to one degree or another.

Indycar.com should have live streaming of practice and some qualifying. Though I'm not sure they are going to have it this year. Hope so.

Race day is an event. It's about the experience. Frankly I'd rather watch on TV as far as the race goes. But being there is great.

Back in the day, my drunk days were mostly the qualifying weekends. Race day I would be with dad, so I didn't get quite as loaded. Back in the late '70s and early '80s there were almost no restrictions on where you could roam the grounds on qual weekends, or practice for that matter. You could stand right along the fence in the back stretch, or sit practically anywhere you wanted. All the stands were open. Totally awesome.

Muskie
05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Meira is my #1 (Junquiera 1a), and Servia is my #2. But I like them all to one degree or another.

Indycar.com should have live streaming of practice and some qualifying. Though I'm not sure they are going to have it this year. Hope so.

Race day is an event. It's about the experience. Frankly I'd rather watch on TV as far as the race goes. But being there is great.

Back in the day, my drunk days were mostly the qualifying weekends. Race day I would be with dad, so I didn't get quite as loaded. Back in the late '70s and early '80s there were almost no restrictions on where you could roam the grounds on qual weekends, or practice for that matter. You could stand right along the fence in the back stretch, or sit practically anywhere you wanted. All the stands were open. Totally awesome.

Backing those guys you're in for a day of heartbreak my friend.

BBC 08
05-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Is that because of the Mint Julip?

That and the horse racing. I just love being at Churchill Downs.

waggy
05-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Backing those guys you're in for a day of heartbreak my friend.

I know, but I like the unfunded guys more. Newman-Hass is a great team of course, but I didn't like them when they were at the top. Servia is a good guy, and a solid if not spectacular driver.

As far as the Foyt team goes I'm a big AJ fan handed down by my dad. Got the old obligatory autograph. His primary is always a new car, and his secondary has historically been good equipment too. It's generally not the age, but the set-up that's the problem. Hoping they can catch some magic/get lucky.

Power is a helluva talent. If he ever figures out ovals, and he will (no pun intended), he'll be unbeatable for the championship.

A lot of storylines this year.

Muskie
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I know, but I like the unfunded guys more. Newman-Hass is a great team of course, but I didn't like them when they were at the top. Servia is a good guy, and a solid if not spectacular driver.

As far as the Foyt team goes I'm a big AJ fan handed down by my dad. Got the old obligatory autograph. His primary is always a new car, and his secondary has historically been good equipment too. It's generally not the age, but the set-up that's the problem. Hoping they can catch some magic/get lucky.

Power is a helluva talent. If he ever figures out ovals, and he will (no pun intended), he'll be unbeatable for the championship.

A lot of storylines this year.

I could see Servia winning the 500 this year. He's looked good so far and he's raced at Indy before. Plus Newman Haas has decent equipment and decent data... I'd feel better about my prediction if they had run an oval before the 500. I'll be out there first weekend of practice... i'll send some updates your way.

xu95
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I actually like Mike Conway for the victory and how sweet would it be coming back from that crash last year to win it.

xu95

waggy
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Month of May Speedway Schedule (http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/var/assets/2011indy500eventsked2.pdf)

paulxu
05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Wait! What about Danica?

xu2006
05-06-2011, 12:01 PM

Nothing compares to the 500. It is the greatest spectacle in racing, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to spend the Sunday before Memorial Day.

The 500 is about as America and apple pie as it gets. The pageantry and fanfare is amazing - from Mrs. Brady (Florence Henderson) singing "God Bless America" and Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" to the salute soldiers receive as they're paraded around the track before the race.

If you've never been, go.

waggy
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Full Entry List (http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/var/assets/I500EntryList.pdf)

Rookie Orientation is Thursday. Only a half dozen or so Indycars will be on course. Free admission.

Indy Lights (not the big cars) practice Friday. Free admission.

Full Indycar practice gets underway on Saturday. $10 admission.

bobbiemcgee
05-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Full Entry List (http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/var/assets/I500EntryList.pdf)

Rookie Orientation is Thursday. Only a half dozen or so Indycars will be on course. Free admission.

Indy Lights (not the big cars) practice Friday. Free admission.

Full Indycar practice gets underway on Saturday. $10 admission.

I pretty much lived @ the track in May growing up in Naptown.
Reminds me of May '61. I was watching what turned out to be Tony Bettenhausen, Sr.( even tho it wasn't his car) crash down the track and become entangled in wire. Piece of metal flew off, thru the fence and got me over the right eye. 7 stitches @ the track hospital. They were bringingTony in as I was leaving. He didn't make it. 50 yrs. ago this weekend. Wow.

Muskie91
05-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Wait! What about Danica?

You want Danica. Here's

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.getsportsinfo.com/image.axd%3Fpicture%3D08_danica-patrick_15.jpg&sa=X&ei=TT_ITaDIF5S-tgfxx7i1BA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFA4JFp5wrg54d1yAFQ_J3gH_J2Ng

Danica

waggy
05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
I pretty much lived @ the track in May growing up in Naptown.
Reminds me of May '61. I was watching what turned out to be Tony Bettenhausen, Sr.( even tho it wasn't his car) crash down the track and become entangled in wire. Piece of metal flew off, thru the fence and got me over the right eye. 7 stitches @ the track hospital. They were bringingTony in as I was leaving. He didn't make it. 50 yrs. ago this weekend. Wow.

Wow is right. Bettenhausen was a big fan favorite, and a big loss, but of course they lost a LOT drivers in those days with it being so dangerous. Do you still follow the series?

waggy
05-09-2011, 02:41 PM
50 yrs. ago this weekend.

And saw AJ's first win. I was there for his last.

bobbiemcgee
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow is right. Bettenhausen was a big fan favorite, and a big loss, but of course they lost a LOT drivers in those days with it being so dangerous. Do you still follow the series?

Sure, last Indy was 2001. I raced SCCA for 20 yrs. - just sold the car this yr. - costs seem to double every 5 yrs. so had to get out. I went to AJ's first (?) victory party @ the Ansted's house. Someone threw him in the pool. He was VERY pissed off.

This thread may get me up there for this yrs. race.

waggy
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Sure, last Indy was 2001. I raced SCCA for 20 yrs. - just sold the car this yr. - costs seem to double every 5 yrs. so had to get out. I went to AJ's first (?) victory party @ the Ansted's house. Someone threw him in the pool. He was VERY pissed off.

This thread may get me up there for this yrs. race.

Amazing. Wins 2 & 3 ('64 & '67) were with Ansted-Thompson Racing.

What kind of car did you run?

bobbiemcgee
05-09-2011, 04:15 PM
99 Miata, 88 CRX SI and 79 Rx7. Small bore stuff. The costs in Big bore were astronomical. Ran mostly Daytona (Road Course - see Rolex course) and Sebring, some Atlanta and a new track in Co. when I was out there for the last 5 yrs.

waggy
05-14-2011, 09:36 AM
GASOLINE ALLEY 24 / 7 (http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/multimedia/37327/)

Just a static camera into the garage area at IMS with no sound. There is link on this page to sign up for race control (no cost) which gives you streaming of practice and qualifying that isn't being shown on TV.

Edit: Actually it doesn't look like you even have to sign up to get the race control video. http://racecontrol.indycar.com/ This does have sound (but there isn't always audio - "problem" not likely on your end). Sometimes it'll be a roving camera person, sometimes it'll be whatever is on the track jumbos, sometimes the track cameras, etc, etc.

waggy
05-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Cars on track. Practice has been open for about 45 minutes. You can watch and listen at the racecontrol link in previous post.

xu95
05-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Will be there on Sunday for Bump Day. Anyone else heading over?

Muskie
05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Will be there on Sunday for Bump Day. Anyone else heading over?

I will be there.

bobbiemcgee
05-16-2011, 12:30 PM
http://gallery.koroded.net/d/150264-3/danica-patrick-race-car-driver.jpg
I will be there.

Danica on top right now.

waggy
05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Buddy Rice is going to be a factor. Panther has good cars at Indy, and he knows what he's doing.

But have a feeling eventhough Target hardly has done any laps yet that they'll be the guys to beat.

xu95
05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I will be there.

I'll text you when I get there.

xu95
05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I would love for Conway to win. Going from nearly dying last year to drinking the milk.

Muskie
05-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I'll text you when I get there.

Cool. Early forecast is calling for rain. Not that they were any good at predicting the beautiful day last Saturday at the track.

paulxu
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Danica on top right now.

In your dreams.

OK...in mine too.

waggy
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I would love for Conway to win. Going from nearly dying last year to drinking the milk.

It's early but he looks like he's got Kanaan's slug from last year. He's run a bunch of laps and I don't think he's cracked 222 yet.

Muskie
05-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I think Conway finally got to 222 late yesterday.

My motto today is: "I hate today, because it is not tomorrow".

Pole Day at Indy is one of my favorite days of the year.

bobbiemcgee
05-20-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110520/SPORTS0107/105200355/De-Silvestro-might-miss-qualifying-after-taking-wild-ride?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Ouch!

xu95
05-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I think Conway finally got to 222 late yesterday.

My motto today is: "I hate today, because it is not tomorrow".

Pole Day at Indy is one of my favorite days of the year.

Conway will win. Mark me down for it. See you on Sunday.

Muskie
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM

We will be near the start/finish on the outside of the track. Text me and I'll let you know for sure. Also, if you're bringing your child. Check out the museum. All the winning cars are phenomenal.

waggy
05-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Surprised there's been no posts here after todays awesome pole day qualifying action. Great stuff. Some high/low-lights off the top of my head..

None of the 4 regular Andretti Autosport entries consisting of Danica, Marco, Hunter-Reay & Conway, were able to qualify, and things are looking very iffy for tomorrow. I think at least 2 will get in, but I don't know about all 4.

Briscoe (Team Penske) had a morning warm-up accident. Backed into the wall. The force of his legs coming back broke the carbon fiber steering wheel in half. He's in a wee bit o' pain. The team worked a miracle just to get the back-up on the track, but it needs a lot of sorting.

Dragon Racing has one car that is super slow, and the other crashed during it's qualifying attempt. They might not make the race at all, and it's probably the only race they are attempting to run this season.

Ganassi team had an issue in calculating the correct amount of fuel needed for their final qual attempts. :p Franchitti ran out well for completing his run, and though Dixon finished his run, apparently there was a problem with fuel pressure shortly prior to the end of the run. So Dixon missed the pole, and $175,000 and 15 championship points, by 0.0915 of a second.

Newman-Haas a team with great history, who lost their founding owner, actor Paul Newman last year, and who have gone thru a lot of trials in the past couple years with all the difficulties in open wheel, worked their way onto the outside of the front row with journeyman Oriol Servia. Great story.

Bunch of teams that are not series regulars have made an assault on the speed charts. Including the guy who won pole, Alex Tagliani with Sam Schmidt Motorsports. All the potential storylines in here just too much to even get into, but Team Penske for the first time in many many years doesn't even have a car on the front row.

Foyt team looks pretty solid, and Meira could contend. I think he has good enough speed, but one historically weak area of the team has been pit stops, so how fast and clean those boys operate will be huge.

paulxu
05-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Wags, if you and Muskie are just wondering around the infield drinking beer, I'm going to hold you personally responsible for Danica making it into the field today.
I've got a bunch of old Indy classmates there somewhere, but I'm not sure they are really paying attention to the racing yet.

Muskie
05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I'll be out there shortly.

bobbiemcgee
05-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Well, my hero for the day was Simona. Came back from 2 fiery crashes in Texas and Indy (mechanical issue) to make the field in a 2003 car. Had to go out 3 times with burned up hands and then wait to see if she got bumped out of the 24th position. Maybe Divine intervention sent the rain to save her.

"I was really scared. I didn't know if I wanted to get back into a race car," said the 22-year-old De Silvestro".

Instant fan favorite. Smile never seems to leave her face. Gutsy lady.

bobbiemcgee
05-22-2011, 04:42 PM

oops

waggy
05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Great drama on bump day as usual. Wish there wouldn't have been any rain, but in the end everyone got multiple chances.

You can now return to the most interesting debate of which Will Ferrell movie is most juvenile. Asshats.

paulxu
05-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Wags, if you and Muskie are just wondering around the infield drinking beer, I'm going to hold you personally responsible for Danica making it into the field today.
I've got a bunch of old Indy classmates there somewhere, but I'm not sure they are really paying attention to the racing yet.

Nice job. You guys got her into the field. Kudos.

xu95
05-23-2011, 08:14 AM

Well, at least I won't have to waste my time cheering for him next Sunday.

Wow, Andretti Autosports really crapped the bed this weekend.

xu95

xu95
05-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I thought I had your number. Sorry I didn't text you. Are you going on Sunday? We will be tailgating in the Coke lot in the morning.

xu95

bobbiemcgee
05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Looks like Andretti bought his boy Hunter-Reay a ride from Foyt. Why have a Bump Day, just write a check.

waggy
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
It's within the rules (don't start with me)!! :D

bobbiemcgee
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Who will win?

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/43117-who-has-the-best-chance-to-win-the-100th-anniversary-indianapolis-500/

wkrq59
05-29-2011, 12:43 AM
The Brickyard race is a totally different experience from the Indy 500. I go to the 500 every year, and will not go to the Brickyard. Once you've seen a car go around at 225 it's hard to watch a car do the oval any slower (like the Nascars)

Muskie, covered 15 straight Indy 500s from 1985--Danny Sullivan Spins and Wins, to 1999, and I have forgotten who won the damn thing, I think it was an A.J. Foyt driver. I could dig through my files but it would take too long. I'll Google it later.
Also had a chance to cover the first ever Brickyard 400 NASCAR race with ll its pomp and frolic. One thing I can say, nothing is more exciting that the start of the Indy 500. After those first few laps, though, it settles back into watching the TV and running to the garages to catch the early wrecks and drop outs. And at both events, the 500 and the 400, the post racer conferences are fun, if you like herd journalism. I always loved he entire month before the 500, and with a few bad asses, the drivers in both sanctioning bodies are fun to deal with, even A.J. who is a great deal like Boib Knight and I got along with and enjoyed both.

wkrq59
05-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Looks like Andretti bought his boy Hunter-Reay a ride from Foyt. Why have a Bump Day, just write a check.

Bobby, there will always be a "'bump day" and even Al Unser Sr. went to Indy one year without a ride, took the Penske year-old car from the hotel lobby and won the damned race. He took Danny Ongais' car. You remember Ongais, who hit for the cycle at Indy, taking on the walls in all four turns and losing each time. It was the final straw with Penske when he hit the wall in Four and demolished one of Penske's fastest cars. One great race, for me, mainly because I beat all the national guys with the interview with Al in April in Albuquerque and he told me if he didn't get a quality ride he'd retire. But he walked the grounds for three weeks before Roger finally told Danny to take a hike if he ever got out of his hospital bed and got his brains unscrambled, and handed a car over to Big Al and. The rest was history. Why did Penske let a storied reliable driver like Big Al who was never flashy go after his contract ran out? Easy, Danny Ongais (the asshole) bought Al's ride. That simple. Andretti simply bought the ride from AJ because he thinks his driver is better. AJ sold the ride because he didn't think his driver, even though qualified, could win.:eek:

paulxu
05-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Who will win?

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/news/show/43117-who-has-the-best-chance-to-win-the-100th-anniversary-indianapolis-500/

What the? Where's my girl Danica on that guy's list?

waggy
05-29-2011, 07:55 AM
A couple weeks ago Servia was 100-1, and Meira was 60-1.

waggy
05-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Q, you might like this piece and it's sportswriter name-dropping..

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/indy500/2011/columns/story?columnist=hinton_ed&id=6603241

bobbiemcgee
05-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I went to the first Brickyard and agree it's nothing like the 500. The fans loved Danny "On the gas". He was fearless going out to ram those walls. I think his last race there was a top 10 when he was in his fifties. He was crazy.

paulxu
05-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I went to the first Brickyard and agree it's nothing like the 500. The fans loved Danny "On the gas". He was fearless going out to ram those walls. I think his last race there was a top 10 when he was in his fifties. He was crazy.

You need to stop in South Carolina and visit the Lady in Black to see some real wall crashing.

bobbiemcgee
05-29-2011, 08:51 AM
What the? Where's my girl Danica on that guy's list?

All the Andretti cars haven't been able to keep pace yet. Slow. The track temp should be 30 degrees hotter today, so they could luck out with a set-up but doubt it. May be Danica's last 500 unless they pay her a fortune to come back. Her sponsor seems to have deep pockets and will follow her anywhere. They are sponsoring the whole friggin' race this year. Look for Rick Hendrick to sign her to a long term deal.

bobbiemcgee
05-29-2011, 08:58 AM
You need to stop in South Carolina and visit the Lady in Black to see some real wall crashing.

I raced my scca car there once. What a desolate place out in the middle of nowhere. I used up a whole set of tires on the abrasive surface in one weekend and never came back. They must have built that track from old razor blades or something.

paulxu
05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
I raced my scca car there once. What a desolate place out in the middle of nowhere. I used up a whole set of tires on the abrasive surface in one weekend and never came back. They must have built that track from old razor blades or something.

Not to worry. Probably been redone twice since then. Safer barriers, new surface, etc.
Great banks there.

Tough day for the rookie at Indy. Danica was in there but needed a caution at the end to compete.