PDA

View Full Version : Interesting email sent today

X-band '01
04-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Cincinnati Enquirer - Fake Tornado Photos Circulate (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110427/NEWS01/304270025/)

Apparently the photoshop artist in question could be looking at criminal charges for inducing panic for emailing a photoshop of a tornado near Eastgate Mall. Someone from the Clermont County office was complaining about "resources being wasted" despite no 911 calls or actual reports of a tornado this morning.

What's next - are you going to tell me that the watermelon workout video from 2003 was doctored?

XUglow
04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Jim Cantore is reporting here from Tupelo on the Weather Channel. I hope it is a photo-shopped Jim Cantore, because if it is the real one, then I am probably screwed. What's up with all of these sirens? Sounds like an air raid.

paulxu
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Jim Cantore is reporting here from Tupelo on the Weather Channel. I hope it is a photo-shopped Jim Cantore, because if it is the real one, then I am probably screwed. What's up with all of these sirens? Sounds like an air raid.

Get in the bathtub with a matress Glow.

PM Thor
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I understand the use of the sirens, but it seems as if they are overdoing it. People hear them so often now, that everyone is getting somewhat desensitized to their use, not heeding the warnings as they once would.

I HATE dayton.

boozehound
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree, Thor. The sirens should be reserved for when there is actually a tornado

STL_XUfan
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I understand the use of the sirens, but it seems as if they are overdoing it. People hear them so often now, that everyone is getting somewhat desensitized to their use, not heeding the warnings as they once would.

I HATE dayton.

+1. I never even left the attic of the house I lived in at Xavier when the sirens went off. Normally all it meant was that there was a thunder storm.

Then again, I am from Missouri, so when I hear a tornado siren my standard reaction is to walk outside and watch the storm from my porch.

XUFan09
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Then again, I am from Missouri, so when I hear a tornado siren my standard reaction is to walk outside and watch the storm from my porch.

This. I sometimes get people asking me, "Hey, did you hear about the tornadoes outside St. Louis?!", as if it's a big deal or something...

XUglow
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM

I HATE dayton.

We just guessed that the sirens have been on for 6 of the last 13 hours since this latest bad ass strorm started blowing through. Lots of tornados are popping up across the South, but 6 hours of sirens does tend to make you a bit numb to the warning.

X-band '01
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

ObamaHood is too busy showing off birth certificates to let me rep you. No truer words were ever spoken as it relates to Jim Cantore, Mike Bettes, and the rest of the WC crew on the road.

XUglow
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I survived despite Jim Cantore's best efforts to lure a tornado through downtown Tupelo. He reported, took a quick tour of Elvis' birthplace, and flew away on his broomstick to some place more dangerous.

Another siren? Crap.

kyxu
04-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Reportedly, FIVE tornadoes touched down in Tuscaloosa today...in ONE instance. I wonder if that's mother nature's retribution against Harvey Updyke.

Too soon?

But seriously, poor people. My heart goes out to them.

chico
04-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I survived despite Jim Cantore's best efforts to lure a tornado through downtown Tupelo. He reported, took a quick tour of Elvis' birthplace, and flew away on his broomstick to some place more dangerous.

Another siren? Crap.

I actually passed through Tupelo today - if I'd have known you were there I would have asked for directions to the Glow factory. Drove from Birmingham to St. Louis - storms were everywhere. Was very fortunate to arrive safely - was 10 miles south of a tornado that passed over I-55 near Cape Girardeau. In-laws in Bama made it through okay but they'll be without power for a few days and have a lot of cleaning up to do.

Glad you made it through safe, Glow. It was nice going through Tupelo and hearing the all-Elvis station on the radio.

Titanxman04
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
My roommate (not Drews Crew) came home today and asked if I had heard about this whole "fake tornado" thing. Turns out, he works with the guy who did it. I asked what happened and thought he was going to be charged, but he isn't.

He forwarded those photos to three co-workers. Two of which, responded with "whoa, thats pretty cool man. Nicely done". The third, pooped their pants and forwarded it to a million people, and by the afternoon, everyone seemed to be in a panic.

The police apparently called the guy at least twice and decided he didn't do it out of malice or with any intention of stirring up a panic. It was clear that that third person freaked out before realizing that it was doctored. To which, the ripple effect held true.

Interesting story none the less.

XUglow
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
I actually passed through Tupelo today - if I'd have known you were there I would have asked for directions to the Glow factory. Drove from Birmingham to St. Louis - storms were everywhere. Was very fortunate to arrive safely - was 10 miles south of a tornado that passed over I-55 near Cape Girardeau. In-laws in Bama made it through okay but they'll be without power for a few days and have a lot of cleaning up to do.

Glad you made it through safe, Glow. It was nice going through Tupelo and hearing the all-Elvis station on the radio.

Reminds me of a joke... "Next time you pass Tupelo... thanks." Seriously though, always delighted to see Xavier fans anywhere, any time. My brother lives in STL, so I have done that drive a few times.

There is a town of 900 about 12 miles SE of Tupelo that was totally devastated. 12 dead out of 900 residents. Every house or business in town is damaged or destroyed. Yesterday was as bad as I have ever seen for storms.