PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Discussion

XUOWNSUC
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
If you want to bitch about how the draft is stupid and how there are a billion meaningless mock drafts out there, please feel free to discuss that in the other thread (Bengals Draft Update).

I'd like this thread to be about real draft discussion.

With that said, what do you see (or hope) the Bungles will do at #4? Or what about your favorite team?

Here is what I think:

1. I hope the Bengals DO NOT go QB at #4. Just to clarify, I will be PISSED if they take a QB at #4. None of the QBs in this draft class are worthy of a Top 10 (or 20) pick in my opinion. Despite the rumors and media attention, there WILL BE a quality QB prospect available in round 2. There always is. That's where the Bengals should get a QB. QBs fall on draft day all the time. Let the other teams reach for a QB. In addition, I don't buy it that teams like Indy, NE, and N.O. are looking for future replacements for Manning, Brady, and Brees. Super Bowl contenders like those teams are looking for players to put them over the top and get them a championship. They aren't gonna waste a pick on a future QB in round 1 - they might do it later, but not in round 1. They are just blowing smoke so that the players they really want will fall to them.

Now, if for some reason I'm wrong, and 6 or 7 QBs get selected before the Bengals pick in round 2 (unlikely), then there are still decent options via free agency (whenever that happens) or via a trade (Kolb).

2. So if not a QB at #4, then what? If it were me, I'd trade down. I hear teams like Houston and Atlanta want to move up - why not make a trade and pick up a few extra picks - Lord knows the Bengals need a ton of them. However, we are talking about the Bengals here and they rarely make a draft day trade. In my ideal world, the Bengals trade w/ Houston and move down to #11. At that spot, I'd pick one of the top two tackles - Smith or preferrably Castonzo. Now I know, some of you might be saying "WTF, we just drafted Andre Smith and we already have Whitworth, why in the hell should we pick a tackle?" In response, I ask you this, were you really happy with the o-line play this past year? Do you really think Smith will turn things around and become a dominant tackle in this league? Do you want our new QB to get Klinglerized? Smith sucks and will go down as a bust. Don't compound the problem by hoping he gets things turned around. Until then, I'd make him an expensive guard and then send him packing as soon as his contract is up. Get a tackle and protect your new franchise QB. NFL GAMES ARE WON IN THE TRENCHES. Somehow, the Bengals haven't figured that out yet. They still think they can grab a lineman in the later rounds and coach them up. Think about that. The Bengals think they can coach. The days of Mcanally are long gone. We have Paul Alexander now. Please.

3. Now I realize that my point #2 will never happen, so what then? My top choice would be Patrick Peterson. Many consider Peterson to be the top talent in this year's draft who could possibly be a "shut-down" corner. There are very few "shut-down" corners in the NFL and we could get one. In addition, JJ could be gone via free agency (depends on what rules take effect) and considering how many teams use 3 or 4 WR sets, having 3 good corners makes sense. I think Pacman is not an ideal #2 corner, I think he is better suited to be a nickle corner and primary return guy. Lastly, Peterson might even be able to play a little safety as well.

4. If not Peterson, then I go for D-Line. Fairley, Bowers, etc. I repeat, NFL games are WON IN THE TRENCHES. Other than Dunlap, were you really happy with the QB pressure last year? Odom gets banged up too much and is getting old and Geathers has disappeared since he got that fat contract. Michael Johnson is way too inconsistent.

5. What is more likely to happen is that the Bengals go with A.J. Green at #4. I wouldn't be too upset with that, but I don't like taking WRs and LBs early in drafts. Usually, you can find good ones later. The same cannot be said about linemen (both offensive and defensive). Plus, I feel that between Shipley, Caldwell, Simpson, and Gresham, the Bengals are ok at receiver. Lots of teams get by without having two great WRs - see Baltimore and New England.

What do you think?

Edit: I forgot to mention the guy I really want the Bengals to get at QB - Andy Dalton. I really like that guy but I don't think we get him. He'll be picked after #4 overall but before we pick in round 2. If we want him, we've got to trade back into round 1 to get him. Won't happen.

GoMuskies
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Ryan Mallett will certainly be around in round 2 if you like him. I'm not a huge fan of Mallett's myself. He's got a big arm, of course, but I did not think he was incredibly accurate. And I think even I could be pretty successful as a QB in Bobby Petrino's system (see Stefan LeFors being drafted way too high and Brian Brohm and Hunter Cantwell each at one time being the #1 rated QB in their respective draft classes).

The Bengals are probably more leery than most of players whose stock is dropping due to character issues, too.

But if you buy into the Mallett talent hype, this could be an opportunity to buy low on him.

Porkopolis
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree that the Bengals should trade down and grab linemen. I won't be too upset with Green or Jones at WR. I'll be unhappy if they take a QB at #4.

XUOWNSUC
04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Ryan Mallett will certainly be around in round 2 if you like him. I'm not a huge fan of Mallett's myself. He's got a big arm, of course, but I did not think he was incredibly accurate. And I think even I could be pretty successful as a QB in Bobby Petrino's system (see Stefan LeFors being drafted way too high and Brian Brohm and Hunter Cantwell each at one time being the #1 rated QB in their respective draft classes).

The Bengals are probably more leery than most of players whose stock is dropping due to character issues, too.

But if you buy into the Mallett talent hype, this could be an opportunity to buy low on him.

I totally agree w/ you - Mallet will drop and will be available in round two. I also am not a big fan of him. Who do you like at QB? Would you pick QB at #4 overall?

PMI
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM

I think you might be right about Mallet, but I still think there's a chance that someone takes a seemingly early first round chance on him. Todd McShay had him going FIFTEENTH to the Dolphins this morning. That sounds extreme (and McShay is a Mallet doubter himself) but all it takes is that one team willing to roll the dice with the guy with the most physical arm talent in the class. I actually don't think accuracy is going to be the biggest issue with him. It's an area he's going to have to improve, but I think he's shown that he's more than capable of it with some of the downright special throws he's made in his college career. His bigger question marks to me is whether he's going to put in the 110% he needs to in order to reach his potential, whether he has that killer instinct, whether he can stay clear of ALL off-field issues, and whether he can improve his mobility in the pocket. Mobility is a problem that Henne has struggled with his entire career, so if Miami is as interested in Mallet as McShay thinks they might be, they probably see some special things in the kid.

Personally, I'd rather gamble with Mallet than Newton, if you take into account where you'd have to select them. What I mean is, if I were Carolina, and I thought Mallet would be the best QB around during my second pick, I'd go with someone else first and Mallet next. I don't see Cam Newton succeeding personally, and I could see Mallet being pretty solid.

GoMuskies
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Would you pick QB at #4 overall?

I don't know enough about Gabbert to have a fully informed opinion, but from what I do know I wouldn't be excited to get him at #4. Cam Newton, sure, but there's no way he drops to 4.

So I would not pick a QB that early myself.

dc_x
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
IMO, the Bengals #1 need is a defensive tackle. Assuming, Dareus is gone before #4, then it would be great if the Bengals could trade down and get Fairley (assuming the Bengals think his character issues aren't an issue).

I don't think they go QB at #4. It doesn't make sense to take a WR when you have so many other holes on your team. I could almost see the Bengals making another Levi Jones move and taking a guy like Fairley at #4 just because they like him and he fills a need.

XUOWNSUC
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I think you might be right about Mallet, but I still think there's a chance that someone takes a seemingly early first round chance on him. Todd McShay had him going FIFTEENTH to the Dolphins this morning. That sounds extreme (and McShay is a Mallet doubter himself) but all it takes is that one team willing to roll the dice with the guy with the most physical arm talent in the class. I actually don't think accuracy is going to be the biggest issue with him. It's an area he's going to have to improve, but I think he's shown that he's more than capable of it with some of the downright special throws he's made in his college career. His bigger question marks to me is whether he's going to put in the 110% he needs to in order to reach his potential, whether he has that killer instinct, whether he can stay clear of ALL off-field issues, and whether he can improve his mobility in the pocket. Mobility is a problem that Henne has struggled with his entire career, so if Miami is as interested in Mallet as McShay thinks they might be, they probably see some special things in the kid.

That's the thing about Mallet - I'm not sure he will give you 110%.

IMO, the Bengals #1 need is a defensive tackle. Assuming, Dareus is gone before #4, then it would be great if the Bengals could trade down and get Fairley (assuming the Bengals think his character issues aren't an issue).

I don't think they go QB at #4. It doesn't make sense to take a WR when you have so many other holes on your team. I could almost see the Bengals making another Levi Jones move and taking a guy like Fairley at #4 just because they like him and he fills a need.

I like Fairley, but I also question whether or not he too will give 110%. I want guys who live and breathe football. Guys like Ray Lewis and Peyton Manning. I'm not sure Fairley has that mentality. However, I'm all for drafting a lineman in round 1. So if the Bengals pick Fairly, I wouldn't be too upset. Don't think it will happen though.

I've been checking out a bunch of mocks today and I'm a bit surprised how many people believe we will go for Gabbert at #4. It's making me nauseous. One guy even said Gabbert was sort of a "local guy" since he is from Missouri. How the hell is he a local guy when he lives 5+ hours away?

waggy
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Can/will the Bungles get anything for Carson and/or Ocho? What are they worth?

XUOWNSUC
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Can/will the Bungles get anything for Carson and/or Ocho? What are they worth?

That's a good question. The league "year" hasn't started yet (due to the labor dispute) so player trades, free agency, etc. cannot happen yet. So I wouldn't expect anything on that front until after the draft. Teams can, however, trade future draft picks at their own risk - assuming there are drafts in the future.

Whenever the league year does begin, I don't think the Bengals can get much for Palmer and/or Ocho. I certainly wouldn't expect a 1st rounder. The Bengals unfortunately don't have much leverage w/ Palmer due to his stance that he would rather retire than play for the Bengals again. As for Chad, many people believe that he has lost a step and that his better days are behind him. With that said, I'd take a second round pick in a heart beat for either one.

bobbiemcgee
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Palmer really should retire, the speed of the game has passed him by. Ocho, don't think anybody really cares what happens to him.

SixFig
04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
I will go on record saying Cam Newton will be a bust. He is destined to be the next Jamarcus Russell...at best he is the next Jason Campbell. That is not saying much.

He wasn't able to read the defense in the title game well, he was calling timeouts and looking at his coach every other possession. NFL defenses will eat his for breakfast. Plus his physical skills won't be so exceptional at the NFL level. In addition you have to deal with his family. Finally, you have to deal with his ego. He is a headcase and odds are 2-1 he will be arrested in the next five years.

bobbiemcgee
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
and so it begins.............with Cam

XUOWNSUC
04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
I was ok w/ the Bengals picking Green. However, I'm not too happy hearing that the Bengals passed on a trade w/ Atlanta. Coulda had another 1st round pick next year and another 2nd rounder this year. Why does the Brown family hate making trades in the draft? I'm still pissed about the Bengals passing on the Saints offer for Ricky Wiliams.

dc_x
04-28-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm was ok w/ the Bengals picking Green. However, I'm not too happy hearing that the Bengals passed on a trade w/ Atlanta. Coulda had another 1st round pick next year and another 2nd rounder this year. Why does the Brown family hate making trades in the draft? I'm still pissed about the Bengals passing on the Saints offer for Ricky Wiliams.

Adam Schefter said that the Falcons had a deal to move up to #4 "that fell apart at the last minute."

Translation - Marvin negotiated a good deal and Mike Brown squashed it.

bjf123
04-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Adam Schefter said that the Falcons had a deal to move up to #4 "that fell apart at the last minute."

Translation - Marvin negotiated a good deal and Mike Brown squashed it.Sadly, you're probably right.

XUOWNSUC
04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Wow. Ponder to Minnesota. The QB run continues. If the Bengals want Dalton, the better trade up soon.

Now Detroit picks up Fairley to pair w/ Suh. Interesting.

Fun draft so far.

paulxu
04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I will go on record saying Cam Newton will be a bust. He is destined to be the next Jamarcus Russell...at best he is the next Jason Campbell. That is not saying much.

He wasn't able to read the defense in the title game well, he was calling timeouts and looking at his coach every other possession. NFL defenses will eat his for breakfast. Plus his physical skills won't be so exceptional at the NFL level. In addition you have to deal with his family. Finally, you have to deal with his ego. He is a headcase and odds are 2-1 he will be arrested in the next five years.

Perfect. He'll fit right in with the disaster that's the Carolina Panthers.

Xavgrad08
04-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't mind the Bengals first round pick, but it really doesn't matter who the receivers are if Jordan Palmer is the QB.

DoubleD86
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Dalton still available, I am pretty excited about that. Hopefully we can get him at #3 tomorrow.

I like the Green pick. I wanted to move down but didn't seem like anyone was looking to go up once Broncos took Miller. At first I was upset about passing on the Falcons trade but there are two points: A) If you believe in the Draft Pick Value Chart (which I do for the most part) the Falcons package was less than the #4 overall pick. B) Look at the 27 and lower pick (the pick we would have gotten if we take Falcons trade) and who do you like there? Maybe Gabe Carimi, maybe Da'quan Bowers. But nothing really sticks out.

I would have prefered to trade back to the 8-12 area, but there were no suitors so I am happy with the Green pick. Now, hopefully Dalton slides past Buffalo and we can grab Green and Dalton and that is a good start.

BENWAR
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Dalton still available, I am pretty excited about that. Hopefully we can get him at #3 tomorrow.

I like the Green pick. I wanted to move down but didn't seem like anyone was looking to go up once Broncos took Miller. At first I was upset about passing on the Falcons trade but there are two points: A) If you believe in the Draft Pick Value Chart (which I do for the most part) the Falcons package was less than the #4 overall pick. B) Look at the 27 and lower pick (the pick we would have gotten if we take Falcons trade) and who do you like there? Maybe Gabe Carimi, maybe Da'quan Bowers. But nothing really sticks out.

I would have prefered to trade back to the 8-12 area, but there were no suitors so I am happy with the Green pick. Now, hopefully Dalton slides past Buffalo and we can grab Green and Dalton and that is a good start.

I just don't see Buffalo passing on Dalton.

Is Bowers on suicide watch for not being drafted so far?

XUOWNSUC
04-29-2011, 05:42 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if Dalton slid to the Bengals at #35. It's not gonna happen. Somebody will trade w/ NE to select him with the first pick in the second round. I really wish the Bengals were the team to do it, but they won't. The Bengals are allergic to trades.

If Dalton is gone, I wouldn't go QB. I'm not a fan of Mallet. I'd rather pick between Bowers and the safety Moore.

Smails
04-29-2011, 07:16 AM
I did not watch the draft last night so could someone who did please explain to me why Bowers wasn't taken.

A few months ago some outles were projecting him as the first overall pick.

drudy23
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM
I really wish the Bengals were the team to do it, but they won't. The Bengals are allergic to trades.

Word on talk radio is that the Falcons wanted AJ Green (but instead ended up with Jones and giving up alot of picks). Makes you think if the Bengals were offered all those picks as well but passed.

XUglow
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Word on talk radio is that the Falcons wanted AJ Green (but instead ended up with Jones and giving up alot of picks). Makes you think if the Bengals were offered all those picks as well but passed.

Yes, they were offered all of those picks. ATL wanted Green or Jones, so they are happy. I thought ATL gave up a lot to get to #6. I would have made that trade with them in a heartbeat.

drudy23
04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, they were offered all of those picks. ATL wanted Green or Jones, so they are happy. I thought ATL gave up a lot to get to #6. I would have made that trade with them in a heartbeat.

As would the 30 other franchises in the league.

xavierj
04-29-2011, 09:43 AM
As would the 30 other franchises in the league.

no because Buffalo and Denver passed up the same offer. Cleveland would have been better off staying with the pick. I think building around Colt McCoy with talented guys like AJ Green would have helped or they could have taken the CB as well. The Bengals were talking to Atlanta for a while but couldn't get what they were looking for.

American X
04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Dalton?

http://nightclubsecurity.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/roadhouse31.jpg

XUOWNSUC
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I did not watch the draft last night so could someone who did please explain to me why Bowers wasn't taken.

A few months ago some outles were projecting him as the first overall pick.

He has a knee injury that teams are afraid of.

waggy
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/03/andy-dalton.jpg

SixFig
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Dalton?

http://mediarushes.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dalton-bond-poster-21.jpg?w=590&h=263

XUOWNSUC
04-29-2011, 08:11 PM
http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/03/andy-dalton.jpg

I am pumped about getting Andy Dalton. I never thought he would last until or 2nd round pick. I liked him the best out of ALL the QBs in the draft. He fits Gruden's system perfectly and most importantly, the guy is a LEADER. Something Carson never was.

X-band '01
04-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Dalton?

http://mediarushes.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dalton-bond-poster-21.jpg?w=590&h=263

I'm just going to pretend that those 2 movies never happened.

JimmyTwoTimes37
04-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Really like today's picks

Porkopolis
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Really like today's picks

It's like we've entered some alternate reality where the Bengals know what they're doing. I'll take it. :)

SixFig
04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm just going to pretend that those 2 movies never happened.

Haters gonna hate, but I like Dalton more than Moore or Brosnan. He brought intensity that a secret agent should have, and was more faithful to the books in that Bond felt used (a blunt instrument) and his drinking and womanizing was a way to mask his growing pain from being a tool of the British government.

1. Connery
2. Craig
3. Dalton
4. Lazenby (haters gonna hate here too)
5. Brosnan
6. Moore

XULucho27
04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
1. Connery
2. Craig
3. Dalton
4. Lazenby (haters gonna hate here too)
5. Brosnan
6. Moore
No quibbles for the most part with your list but I always have to defend my boy Pierce. I think he was a product of bad writing. The screenplays for his movies were atrocious but damn if that dude couldn't play a cool, calm, and collected secret agent. I do agree with your first two though, those guys played a fantastic Bond.

GuyFawkes38
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
yeah, I really like Brosnan as Bond. Perhaps I'm biased because I grew up with him as Bond. But he strikes me as a natural fit.

Most people love Craig, but IMHO, he's just awkward, which is kind of cool but it sometimes feels un-bond like.

XUFan09
05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
yeah, I really like Brosnan as Bond. Perhaps I'm biased because I grew up with him as Bond. But he strikes me as a natural fit.

Most people love Craig, but IMHO, he's just awkward, which is kind of cool but it sometimes feels un-bond like.

Agreed on Brosnan. He exemplified the smoothness of Bond perfectly.

With Craig, I think he's perfect for being the early Bond. Maybe a little awkward, very gritty, a brutal fighter (his debut scene alone was out of the ordinary Bond-wise, to say the least). The guy is not suave at all, but he's supposed to be relatively young and immature as a secret agent. Plus it gives an added edge to the movies.

LutherRackleyRulez
05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm down with j. bond....

but, by far, the cooliest, most bad-ass, totally fly spy

is Derek Flint (James Coburn) ---- Our Man Flint ('66) & In Like Flint ('67).....

http://cdn.mymovies.ge/backdrops/d3c/4bc960a6017a3c57fe02bd3c/in-like-flint-original.jpg

http://www.moviestore.com/library/photos/250/250595.jpg

http://cdn.hometheaterforum.com/d/db/1000x500px-LL-db641a0c_OurManFlint.JPG

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T37VW1Y0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

GuyFawkes38
11-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Daniel Craig is killing it. Loved the new Bond film.

I never expected Craig to revive the Bond brand. He seemed like an odd choice. But in retrospect, a brilliant move.