PDA

View Full Version : Reds taking after the Bengals?

XU05and07
04-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Hopefully this doesn't become a trend...

Mike Leake Arrested (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110418/SPT04/304180108/Reds-pitcher-Mike-Leake-arrested?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE)

boozehound
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Kind of curious as to what a dude with that kind of money would be stealing, particularly since it is something of such little value that it is a misdemeanor.

drudy23
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Jesus....does the Enquirer have people just watching the arrest wires 24/7...this was reported like an hour after his arrest.

Well...I guess they have a reason to make room for Homer or Cueto now.

danaandvictory
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Kind of curious as to what a dude with that kind of money would be stealing, particularly since it is something of such little value that it is a misdemeanor.

I'm making the wild supposition that the DEMON BOOZE may have been involved. Who among us hasn't "relieved" the local publican of a jar?

Kahns Krazy
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I would not have guessed just by looking at that picture that it was taken at 2:30 in the afternoon.

dc_x
04-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy's department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.

He stole $60....the guy makes in excess of $400k.

MCXU
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Mike Brown wants to draft him in the third round now.

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2011, 03:40 PM
This has to be some sort of mistake.

Edit:
On the positive side, Leake is trending on Twitter. That's cool.

Smails
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
My god I hope they made him take his ball cap off for the mug shot and that's not how he looked in public. Dude looks completely loaded

gladdenguy
04-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I wish it was Volquez. I'm ready for him to be out of the rotation. Dude doesn't even give the Reds a chance to win.

LutherRackleyRulez
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
ML's arrest report.....

http://news.cincinnati.com/assets/AB173228418.PDF

xavierj
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I wish it was Volquez. I'm ready for him to be out of the rotation. Dude doesn't even give the Reds a chance to win.

Doesn't give them a chance? He has allowed 4, 3, 2 and 5 runs in his starts and he is under a 2 era after the 1st inning. Now he has been horrible in the 1st inning but by MLB standards he has given the reds 3 quality starts out of 4. You probably wanted Masset gone last year too.

Jumpy
04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
6 t-shirts. That's what he took. It surely isn't about the need. Sometimes people are just kleptos like that. Let's just hope he and Winona Ryder never meet and have children.

gladdenguy
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Doesn't give them a chance? He has allowed 4, 3, 2 and 5 runs in his starts and he is under a 2 era after the 1st inning. Now he has been horrible in the 1st inning but by MLB standards he has given the reds 3 quality starts out of 4. You probably wanted Masset gone last year too.

Startin from behind every start with him. What about his ERA in the first inning?
Quality starts......I love that stat. Awesome information. Thanks.

Titanxman04
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't really look to be honest, so Mods, I apologize.

But what a dummy.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110418/SPT04/304180108/

SlimKibbles
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
That's the last time the Reds should employ a college football coach as a pitcher. Don't they know the hell he put Craig James' kid through?

Titanxman04
04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
That's the last time the Reds should employ a college football coach as a pitcher. Don't they know the hell he put Craig James' kid through?

Blast it all. Well spotted Slims. My bad. Mods, help me out?

ReturnOfTheMack
04-18-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm going to reserve judgement until the legal process runs its course. Remember how everyone jumped down Dedrick Finn's throat for stealing that dog and it turned out he was the original owner of the pug? Obviously this situation is different but there might be some mitigating circumstances that haven't been yet released. It's hard to believe a guy who makes half a mill/year with no prior record would be stealing $60 worth of merchandise. I think we're all guilty of being involved in some sticky situations that on the surface appear much worse than the reality. When all the facts emerge it will show that either there was a serious misunderstanding or Mike Leake has a problem and he needs serious help.

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
For $58 worth of merchandise, either Macy's shouldn't have pressed charges, or the cops shouldn't have pursued an arrest. Who knows what exactly happened, but Leake doesn't deserve the backlash he will receive.

And is it really necessary to arrest someone for stealing $58 worth of merchandise. I'm all for a hefty fine in that situation. But is an arrest and mugshot really necessary?

This is just ridiculous.

XU05and07
04-18-2011, 09:59 PM
For $58 worth of merchandise, either Macy's shouldn't have pressed charges, or the cops shouldn't have pursued an arrest. Who knows what exactly happened, but Leake doesn't deserve the backlash he will receive.

This is just ridiculous.

You're suggesting that they let every person just take $58 worth of goods from any Macy's store? I know of 3 Macy's stores within 20 minutes of my house...I could get $154 worth of merchandise.

theleague
04-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I really don't get this, I mean this isn't even a respectable arrest. He got caught stealing t-shirts, who does that?

GuyFawkes38
04-18-2011, 10:05 PM
You're suggesting that they let every person just take $58 worth of goods from any Macy's store? I know of 3 Macy's stores within 20 minutes of my house...I could get $154 worth of merchandise.

If Leake took $58 worth of merchandise from 3 stores I think it would be a different matter.

In this situation, the manager of the Macy's should be the bigger person and take into account the pain and suffering the arrest would cause. Is it worth taking a stand like that for $58 worth of merchandise.

blobfan
04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
If Leake took $58 worth of merchandise from 3 stores I think it would be a different matter.

In this situation, the manager of the Macy's should be the bigger person and take into account the pain and suffering the arrest would cause. Is it worth taking a stand like that for $58 worth of merchandise.

So, can I come steal $58 from you? I'd lose my job if it was reported so you'll save me the pain and suffering, right?

XU05and07
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM

It's not the manager's responsibility. I think his/her pain and suffering from being fired for allowing people to steal from his/her store should be paramount to a professional baseball player who steals.

You can't perpetuate the lack of personal responsibility and accountability that persists in our society now.

XU05and07
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM

We should allow:

- Andy Kennedy to punch a cab driver
- Bob Huggins to drive drunk
- Barry Bonds lie to a grand jury
- OJ Simpson murder his ex-wife
- Chris Brown beat up his girlfriend
- Mike Vick fight dogs
- Bobby Gonzales steal from a store
- etc...

just because they have the chance of pain and suffering.

There are laws for a reason.

Fred Garvin 2.0
04-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I just think it's hilarious someone has the title of "loss prevention employee."
Hey, isn't Adam the Flyer a glorified securtiy guard? Maybe this is his handiwork.

GoMuskies
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM

You do a good job stirring things up.

Thiefs suck.

MuskieCinci
04-19-2011, 12:47 AM
So, can I come steal $58 from you?

That is not how stealing works.

drudy23
04-19-2011, 02:51 AM

And is it really necessary to arrest someone for stealing $58 worth of merchandise. I'm all for a hefty fine in that situation. But is an arrest and mugshot really necessary?

This is just ridiculous.

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic.

If not, this could be the worst post in the history of XH!

Masterofreality
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Obviously Leake just feels like he has to follow in the grand tradition of other athletes with "Cincinnati" on their uniforms- Like Eugene Land.......

GuyFawkes38
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I seriously hope you are being sarcastic.

If not, this could be the worst post in the history of XH!

What purpose does it serve to arrest and jail someone who stole less than $100 worth of merchandise? Why not ticket him and give him a fine?

Driving 10-20 mph over the speed limit is a much more dangerous activity. But of course, we wouldn't jail someone for speeding that amount over the speed limit even though it's clearly much more dangerous and disruptive than petty theft.

Pete Delkus
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I just think it's hilarious someone has the title of "loss prevention employee."
Hey, isn't Adam the Flyer a glorified securtiy guard? Maybe this is his handiwork.

Macy's has the best "Loss Prevention Employee" in the league. Everyone is MLB knows this, as he kicks "risks" out of stores left and right.

I remeber Ryan Theriot saying "You just don't steal on this guy". Few even attempt to run against that guy because he's thrown out 42 % of would-be stealers.

"He'll throw out anybody anywhere, anytime"...Cubs Manager Mike Quade said.

The word around MLB Club Houses...Don't steal on him!

EDIT....My bad ~ They were talking about Yadier Molina.

drudy23
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
What purpose does it serve to arrest and jail someone who stole less than $100 worth of merchandise? Why not ticket him and give him a fine?

Driving 10-20 mph over the speed limit is a much more dangerous activity. But of course, we wouldn't jail someone for speeding that amount over the speed limit even though it's clearly much more dangerous and disruptive than petty theft.

Wow...you are that dumb.

Next we shouldn't arrest people for "attempted" murder...because, well, they didn't die. And there was no harm in just the attempt.

blobfan
04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
That is not how stealing works.
Well, since he's being so accomodating I thought perhaps he'd leave the door unlocked if he knows someone is coming to steal. Far be it from him to pass judgement on a petty thief.

Please share your source citing Leake's imprisonment. As far as I have read, he was booked, posted bail, and back in the clubhouse before the evening news.

GuyFawkes38
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Please share your source citing Leake's imprisonment. As far as I have read, he was booked, posted bail, and back in the clubhouse before the evening news.

I've never been arrested. But I do understand that being arrested is a big deal. Many job applications ask if you've been arrested (regardless if you were convicted).

If Leake was fined instead of arrested (IMHO, driving a car 20 mph over the speed limit is a worse offense than stealing $60 worth of merchandise), this would be mentioned less in the press. It's humiliating to be arrested.

Wow...you are that dumb.

Next we shouldn't arrest people for "attempted" murder...because, well, they didn't die. And there was no harm in just the attempt.

You didn't address my question. Do you think that petty theft is a more serious crime than reckless driving? Do you think that petty thefts need to be arrested?

drudy23
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I've never been arrested. But I do understand that being arrested is a big deal. Many job applications ask if you've been arrested (regardless if you were convicted).

If Leake was fined instead of arrested (IMHO, driving a car 20 mph over the speed limit is a worse offense than stealing $60 worth of merchandise), this would be mentioned less in the press. It's humiliating to be arrested.

You didn't address my question. Do you think that petty theft is a more serious crime than reckless driving? Do you think that petty thefts need to be arrested?

What does it matter what I think? Last time I checked, I don't have the ability to change the law.

xu95
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
You're right it is humiliating. Maybe he won't do it again.

coasterville95
04-20-2011, 07:38 AM
And, in another example of "It just gets wierder and wierder":

Mike's story now, per channel 9 is that he was doing a, well shall we call it a self service merchandise exchange. Yup, he claims he was merely doing an exchange and, get this, must not have known you need to get a sales associate involved to perform the exchange. So let me get this right, he got all the way through college without learning how stores work. Yeah, right!

Of course the article is of a "Sources say" he said/ she said perspective, but if this is an attempt of a PR coverup, he needs a new PR person. That said, as of the time of the article, Macy's says he still has not produced any kind of sales receipt to cover the original sale, and they would have to "review their videotape".

I think this is almost WORSE than saying "Yeah, I was stupid, I had a momentary lapse of judgement , here is your $60, etc." At least we could beleive somebody did that, not so much that a person could get to the age of 23 without knowing the proper way to do a merchanide exchange.

That said, had this been just any random citizen this may have merited a brief mention in the police blotter section of your local paper, nothing more. By the same token, to say he should not receive the same treatment through the judicial system as any random citizen just becuase he is a "star" is ludicrous.

GuyFawkes38
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank god the Cincinnati police and Macy's decided to arrest him.

Leake did make an incorrect exchange of $60 worth of merchandise and had to be arrested. We just can't have criminals on the streets.

Heh. This is ridiculous. IMHO, this makes Macy's and the CPD look petty.

Mike's story now, per channel 9 is that he was doing a, well shall we call it a self service merchandise exchange. Yup, he claims he was merely doing an exchange and, get this, must not have known you need to get a sales associate involved to perform the exchange. So let me get this right, he got all the way through college without learning how stores work. Yeah, right!

Of course the article is of a "Sources say" he said/ she said perspective, but if this is an attempt of a PR coverup, he needs a new PR person. That said, as of the time of the article, Macy's says he still has not produced any kind of sales receipt to cover the original sale, and they would have to "review their videotape".

This will be proven. He's not lying when there's video evidence available to all sides.

Macy's, the CPD, members of the media, and everyone on this thread need to apologize.

XU 87
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM

I hope you're not serious. In any event, you just want to give a fine for stealing? If that's the case, let's all get out there and shoplift. The fine will be much less than what we're able to steal before we finally get caught.

GuyFawkes38
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope you're not serious. In any event, you just want to give a fine for stealing? If that's the case, let's all get out there and shoplift. The fine will be much less than what we're able to steal before we finally get caught.

Do people who commit a theft under $100 really constitute a public danger. Do they need to be off the streets.

The Leake theft turned out to be bogus. But lets say he did do it. What public safety purpose did it accomplish to arrest him.

Like I've said, reckless driving is more of a public danger than petty theft.

GoMuskies
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I wonder if Guy is a shopowner. I'm guessing not.

boozehound
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank god the Cincinnati police and Macy's decided to arrest him.

Leake did make an incorrect exchange of $60 worth of merchandise and had to be arrested. We just can't have criminals on the streets.

Heh. This is ridiculous. IMHO, this makes Macy's and the CPD look petty.

This will be proven. He's not lying when there's video evidence available to all sides.

Macy's, the CPD, members of the media, and everyone on this thread need to apologize.

Even if Leake's story is true I don't see why Macys and the CPD would owe him an apology. You don't just go into a store and start exchanging merchandise yourself. Who does that?

Mack Attack
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
I would be shocked if Channel 9's version is what really happened. Too many things don't add up. Why would Leake's attorney be in court yesterday asking for a diversion program if he just made an improper exchange? To be accepted for diversion the charged person has to admit guilt. I don't think saying he improperly exchanged something would qualify as an admission of guilt in court.
I am honestly surprized that Macy's prosecuted him. Generally there are certain criteria that a shoplifter has to meet to be prosecuted per the store policy.

xeus
04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm surprised that Triantifilou recommended diversion to his client in this situation. This seems like a good case to get the charge down to a low-level disorderly conduct and then have it expunged in a year. My experience with diversion has been that it's more of a pain in the ass than anything. yes, the charge disappears if all conditions of diversion are met, but that's ultimately no different than an expungement.

That said, there are some prosecutors who will absolutely refuse to deal, particularly in a case like this where it's not a terribly difficult case to prosecute.

Interestingly, the woman who runs the Ham Cty diversion program (Maria Karvelas) and Alex Triantifilou are friends and attend the same Greek orthodox church.

XU 87
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=xeus;268083]I'm surprised that Triantifilou recommended diversion to his client in this situation. This seems like a good case to get the charge down to a low-level disorderly conduct and then have it expunged in a year. My experience with diversion has been that it's more of a pain in the ass than anything. yes, the charge disappears if all conditions of diversion are met, but that's ultimately no different than an expungement.

[QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you. But because this is so public, he probably doesn't want any type of guilty conviction.

XU 87
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Kroger's, Macy's and other stores probably disagree with you.

nuts4xu
04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
This whole story is still tough to believe. I can't recall the last time I purchased 6 tshirts of any kind from Macy's at the same time and have it add up to only $60. That is just $10 per shirt, I didn't realize Macy's sold undershirts for that price.

And why in the hell did the store bother with security tags for $10 tshirts? Maybe for one shirt that cost $60 I can see it....

Just smells like bullshit all the way around to me.

Mack Attack
04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
http://http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=496084&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

They're $10 online too. It is American Rag, doesn't sound like it's the highest quality clothing.

muckem muckem
04-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I wonder if Guy is a shopowner. I'm guessing not.

Doesn't sound like he has a nice car, either.

Pete Delkus
04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Do people who commit a theft under $100 really constitute a public danger. Do they need to be off the streets.

The Leake theft turned out to be bogus. But lets say he did do it. What public safety purpose did it accomplish to arrest him.

I'm sorry, I don't have the "Benefit" of all the local coverage...but is this what you are talking about when you say the Leake thefit was "bogus"?

That Leake somehow thought that he could affect what is termed an "even exchange" without benefit of a store employee presiding over the transaction

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Maybe Leake thinks he can:

Commandeer a automobile without the benefit of the owners knowledge.
Drive home without the benefit of using the Ohio and KY traffic light system.
Enter another persons house without the benefit of their acknowledgment.
Perform coitus without the benefit of a women’s consent.

Man, I’m glad these BENEFITS are usable at OUR discretion!

CinciX12
04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I tend to agree with you. But because this is so public, he probably doesn't want any type of guilty conviction.

You are admitting the guilt though as a term of going into the diversion program. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

xsteve1
04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I hope he goes out and robs a bank if it will get him to continue to pitch like he did today.

Fireball
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I hope he goes out and robs a bank if it will get him to continue to pitch like he did today.

Better yet, can we get Wood and Volquez to start stealing stuff?

Excuse me..."exchanging" stuff.

GuyFawkes38
04-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Leake is my favorite MLB player.

gladdenguy
05-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Volquez ERA is over 6. I don't care how you cut it big guy.....he sucks.

Texas, I will take a do over. I'll take Josh Hamilton playing 60 games a year rather than the head case pitcher we have. Thank gosh Edinson didn't want to sign over a year contract because the moronic Reds would have signed this nut long term.

How many teams have had their opening day pitcher sent down to AAA in the second month of the season? Hopefully the Reds join this crowd.