PDA

View Full Version : GCL Basketball

MADXSTER
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Your thoughts....

MuskieMAN5
04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Definately one of the best leagues in the country. Of course there's your moellers lasalle elder and x but the other divisions aren't bad either...derrick brown went to CJ and they have a great program as well some central teams

drudy23
04-15-2011, 03:51 PM
This is random...but anyway. I hate it when people say "other conferences have better basketball players, but the GCL wins because they play a better team game." Now, I will give it to these people that the athleticism in some other conferences is superior...but just because you're quicker and can jump higher, doesn't mean you're a better basketball player.

There's a reason that you'll find a GCL school near the finals every year...because overall, they have basketball players...not just athletes.

Those that make it to the next level either have both...are are just far superior in athleticism.

PM Thor
04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm biased, because a coworkers son starts for LaSalle (and is pretty freaking good too) but the GCL is a great league. I don't really like to compare it to other conferences, because each conference brings something separate from the other conferences. I don't really know how the GCL does it, but it always seems to be really good, year after year, for decades now it seems. Plus their fans are freaking nuts.

I HATE dayton.

XUOWNSUC
04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
St. X Rules!

Jumpy
04-15-2011, 06:38 PM
St. X Rules!

And elder drools.

ReturnOfTheMack
04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Went to Moeller. Played at Moeller. Love the GCL.

schmidy43
04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Lancers baby, State champs! It was good to go up to the finals and see them win state in a sport other than Cross-Country.

SixFig
04-16-2011, 02:23 AM
GCL?

If I wanted to see a bunch of white guys playing slow paced, stone age basketball I'll go to a Knights of Columbus pick up game. At least I'll get cheap beer there.

just trying to get a reaction

Porkopolis
04-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Having grown up hundreds of miles away in another state I'm kind of indifferent. Regardless, the GCL has some of the best high school basketball I've ever seen. My wife and I have both taught a lot of GCL players so I follow with interest. One of my former students hit the shot that propelled LaSalle to the title game this year so that was a very cool moment.

chico
04-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I call on all GCL grads to give negative reputation points to sixfig for his blasphemous statements regarding our beloved conference. I'm kidding - don't do that - just pity the poor guy that he was not able to attend one of these fine institutions. Knights of Columbus - that's for alumni, along with the Y league.

I'm biased - Moeller grad - but I think the GCL is not only one of the best basketball leagues, but one of the best all-around leagues for sports in the country. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, and granted, I haven't done a lot of research but it seems that every sport each year has at least one - if not more - GCL teams fighting for a state title. And it's not just one or two teams. Heck, even Elder has won a state title in recent memory.

Porkopolis
04-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm biased - Moeller grad - but I think the GCL is not only one of the best basketball leagues, but one of the best all-around leagues for sports in the country. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, and granted, I haven't done a lot of research but it seems that every sport each year has at least one - if not more - GCL teams fighting for a state title. And it's not just one or two teams. Heck, even Elder has won a state title in recent memory.

I agree, especially in football and baseball. The GCL regularly produces nationally ranked teams and would probably produce more if they didn't have to play each other. Ohio's region system guarantees that you don't get GCL on GCL match-ups in the title games.

tjb
04-16-2011, 09:29 AM
GCL?

If I wanted to see a bunch of white guys playing slow paced, stone age basketball I'll go to a Knights of Columbus pick up game. At least I'll get cheap beer there.

just trying to get a reaction
lebron james i believe has 3 state rings but the one he is missing was his jr year. his team lost to roger bacon who happens to be in the gcl. i was at the game. definately not a bunch of white guys playing slow paced basketball

MADXSTER
04-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm not a St X grad but let's don't take for granted the 32 state titles in 41 years in swimming. Most impressive.

Kahns Krazy
04-16-2011, 09:49 AM
I haven't been to a high school basketball game since I was in high school. There's really no logic behind why I find college sports fun to follow and high school creepy, but that's how I roll.

I guess I went to some sort of Indiana all star game at Conseco, but that was mostly an excuse to go to Brad's Brass Flamingo.

danaandvictory
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Moeller grad.

GCL basketball is what it is. If you're going in looking for a 90-88 game with dunks and fast breaks and so forth, you're going to be disappointed. The games are chess matches, and it's a league that values patience and execution over athleticism.

That said, the results speak for themselves.

gladdenguy
04-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Elder grad.
There is nothing better than watching GCL teams up against an opponent who is much more talented, with more than one player going on to play big time division 1 basketball, and most times, the GCL wins because of better coaching and fundamentals.
For example, I love Drew Lavender but one of the best moments was watching Elder beat the crap out of that Columbus Brookhaven team who was supposed to kill Elder. Just awesome.
Also, that Roger Bacon win was incredible. Those kids will never forget that.

wkrq59
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
If Ohio ever goes to a separate tournament in all sports for public and parochial schools the GCL will be the league to receive credit or blame (take your pick). Right now the proposal, which has been tabled or voted down several times in past years, is slowly gathering some support, again.
And if you doubt the superiority of the league (all the way back to when there was only one division, (Elder, Purcell Roger Bacon, St. X, Hamilton Badin, and McNicholas) just check out the teams that have participated in the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown, which has become one of the top and most sought after early season high school football competitions in the nation. I believe one or more or all four of the South Division teams, Elder, LaSalle, Moeller and St. Xavier have been showdown participants from the very beginning of the competition which started many years ago.
Oddly enough, Xavier University years ago, was a huge participant in GCL football and basketball competitions. The Sunday football doubleheaders of the 50s and 60s (Elder, Purcell, Roger Bacon and St. Xavier) produced some of the best football in the state, certainly in Southwestern Ohio. And the Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon GCL basketball doubleheaders in Schmidt Fieldhouse were must social events for most local high school kids. And because they had no gym suitable for competition, Schmidt was the home court for St. Xavier. The other three schools had their own gyms, but I think only Elders for a time was used as their home court.
Baseball has been even more formidable with Elder the first GCL team to win a state title.:D

Backyard Champ
04-16-2011, 03:38 PM
lebron james i believe has 3 state rings but the one he is missing was his jr year. his team lost to roger bacon who happens to be in the gcl. i was at the game. definately not a bunch of white guys playing slow paced basketball

Really? I wasn't there but I thought I remember hearing they really held the ball a lot. Almost trying to slow it down every chance they got.

I'm a Moeller grad, home of the best baseball and basketball programs in the GCL. :D

tjb
04-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Really? I wasn't there but I thought I remember hearing they really held the ball a lot. Almost trying to slow it down every chance they got.

I'm a Moeller grad, home of the best baseball and basketball programs in the GCL. :D
bacon won 71-63. not your usual gcl score. very fun to watch

ReturnOfTheMack
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Don't forget wrestling, golf, volleyball, lacrosse, and rugby.

gladdenguy
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Not in football anymore LOL......the most important one.

Backyard Champ
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM

If your going to add rugby, you have to had hockey too.

wkrq59
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM

what about ice hockey?????:mad:

ReturnOfTheMack
04-17-2011, 07:50 AM
sorry about that... ice hockey as well