PDA

View Full Version : Undercover Boss

GoMuskies
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Is there anyway this turns out to not embarass the city of Cincinnati?

X-band '01
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
He can't embarrass Cincinnnati as badly as he did before, can he?

Mark Mallory's First Pitch on Opening Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5hw5KSXU&feature=related)

Porkopolis
03-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll be watching to see how my tax dollars were misused by Mallory this time. It isn't often I get to see my money flushed down the drain on network television. On the other hand, it could be very positive PR for the city if handled appropriately.

Kahns Krazy
03-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I'll be watching to see how my tax dollars were misused by Mallory this time. It isn't often I get to see my money flushed down the drain on network television. On the other hand, it could be very positive PR for the city if handled appropriately.

Why would any tax dollars be used for this show?

Titanxman04
03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
What company is being represented tonight?

GoMuskies
03-06-2011, 05:18 PM
What company is being represented tonight?

City of Cincinnati, featuring the mayor.

CinciX12
03-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm fully prepared to be ashamed of this city that I have actually grown to really like over my time here.

XU-PA
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
watched, very nice.
Living 1000 miles away, seeing the city on tv on and off, sports, reality shows, etc. I'm often reminded what a cool town I left behind.
All politics aside, because half of us will bitch and moan about it, then the party changes and the other half of us start bitching.
Cincinnati is a world class city and there's nothing about it that is an embarasment.

JimmyTwoTimes37
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
watched, very nice.
Living 1000 miles away, seeing the city on tv on and off, sports, reality shows, etc. I'm often reminded what a cool town I left behind.
All politics aside, because half of us will bitch and moan about it, then the party changes and the other half of us start bitching.
Cincinnati is a world class city and there's nothing about it that is an embarasment.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I didn't see it but everything I've read indicates it was well done and cast a good light upon the city.

I don't know why 700 and Cincinnati.com were throwing such a fit over it for weeks.

PM Thor
03-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I didn't get to see it, but I thought that the show Police Women of Cincinnati did a stellar job. When I first heard about it, I thought "Oh boy, this is going to be a train wreck", but it turned out really well.

I just hope that this show comes close, even if I think that Mallory was idiotic for doing it.

I HATE dayton.

Fred Garvin 2.0
03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I think the mayor, like all the Mallorys, represents the city with a quiet grace and dignity.

drudy23
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I watched it...it was alright. Basically, the 4 "featured" people all ended up with about $10k worth of "stuff" (some got cold hard cash). I'm sure there will be thousands complaining $40k was given away with layoffs going on...that's almost guaranteed.

But from what Mallory said, it seems it was "gifts" from corporate America in Cincy.

In the end, I see nothing wrong with it...but whatever.

blobfan
03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I watched it...it was alright. Basically, the 4 "featured" people all ended up with about $10k worth of "stuff" (some got cold hard cash). I'm sure there will be thousands complaining $40k was given away with layoffs going on...that's almost guaranteed.

But from what Mallory said, it seems it was "gifts" from corporate America in Cincy.

In the end, I see nothing wrong with it...but whatever.

There will be one less layoff due to the $10K donations since the guy working in fleet repair is using his windfall to take an early retirement.

I've only seen one other episode--Chiquita--and found this one less compelling. He went in with an obvious agenda and totally blew one of the reveals. I really loved that he had to spend one night at a VERY important event: ribbon cutting for Queen City Tower. Even when he said he was doing something, it was just delegating. I'm still wondering what he does as Mayor.

I still contend he should have spent time in the zoning bureau or one of the other red tape agencies if he really wanted to see the bad side of public employees.

xsteve1
03-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Mallory came across as a real genuine guy.

joe titan
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Only thing I noticed was the one kid at McKie Center in XU pullover

XU-PA
03-07-2011, 07:41 AM
I agree with a lot of what you say. I didn't see it but everything I've read indicates it was well done and cast a good light upon the city.

I don't know why 700 and Cincinnati.com were throwing such a fit over it for weeks.

I know why 700 threw a fit. just numbers, only raw numbers. Didn't know Cincinnati.com was joining the negative nancy parade.

drudy23
03-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I still contend he should have spent time in the zoning bureau or one of the other red tape agencies if he really wanted to see the bad side of public employees.

I agree...I was thinking the same thing. I thought they could have highlighted some more "interesting" parts of city government.

Kahns Krazy
03-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm amused whenever the large group of Cincinnatians that revel in the city's failures don't get a chance to crow.

Our city has been on quite a roll lately. Reds in the playoffs, one periennial Sweet 16 basketball team, little brother basketball team returning to the dance this year, The Banks is developing at a nice pace, events like Bockfest this weekend are continuing to grow, and now a couple of favorable national TV appearances. These are the kind of things that draw people to a city, which is what we need in a bad, bad way.

Porkopolis
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Why would any tax dollars be used for this show?

I actually came away quite impressed with Mayor Mallory. I expected him to throw money around and/or not keep up with his mayoral duties while he was filming the show. I was wrong and for that I am glad.

X-band '01
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Mallory came across as a real genuine guy.

That's why he revealed who he was to the meter maid lady - she was telling him about her son (think he was in a nursing home, don't remember the details) and it didn't seem right to him to prolong his charade, at least for her.

Was it Undercover Boss who approached Mallory? I just don't think he would come off the same if he were to pop in on a random budget meeting as opposed to seeing what's happening with a few random city workers whose jobs go unnoticed. I liked how the mechanic approached his job - cops whose lives are in his hands as he tunes up and repairs the motorcycles as an example.

THRILLHOUSE
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm amused whenever the large group of Cincinnatians that revel in the city's failures don't get a chance to crow.

Our city has been on quite a roll lately. Reds in the playoffs, one periennial Sweet 16 basketball team, little brother basketball team returning to the dance this year, The Banks is developing at a nice pace, events like Bockfest this weekend are continuing to grow, and now a couple of favorable national TV appearances. These are the kind of things that draw people to a city, which is what we need in a bad, bad way.

Cosign, and repped. (the man wouldn't let me rep you, but would have if I was allowed)

CinciX12
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Call me shocked. Actually came across very well. Who would have thought.

blobfan
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
...Was it Undercover Boss who approached Mallory? I just don't think he would come off the same if he were to pop in on a random budget meeting as opposed to seeing what's happening with a few random city workers whose jobs go unnoticed. I liked how the mechanic approached his job - cops whose lives are in his hands as he tunes up and repairs the motorcycles as an example.

I was under the impression the show has been trying to get a public official to sign on for some time. I imagine they might have started with the top media markets and moved down the list. I can't tell you exactly where I read that but it was in one of the many updates the Enquirer has had on the Mayor's show appearance.

PM Thor
03-08-2011, 04:20 AM
I just got to watch the episode. I don't really care about Mallory at all, think he's only a notch above idiot, but when I watched this episode, it hit home. I have never watched this show before.

I went to McKie center when I was a kid, swam there very nearly every summer day between when I was 6 and 13. And I have dealt with Fleet Services at least once every couple of weeks now.

These people are the salt of the Earth. Government workers working with stuff that simply doesn't work (ie the meter maid whose computer locked up constantly when Mallory played with it) and workers taking care of equipment for the police and fire when Fleet Services gets no recognition. GPS for a guy picking up roadkill? We don't even have that for fire or police. Mallory swung and missed on that one.

These are the people that work for the city. I am proud to say I work with them, for the most part. There are idiots out there, no doubt. That show makes me kind of proud to be a Cincinnatian. But good Goddamn. I am Cincy through and through. Always have been, always will be. People need to see the government working every day like this.

Oh and I still think Mallory is a self serving dolt.

I HATE dayton.

Kahns Krazy
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
The role of the mayor in Cincinnati is sort of bizarre to me. He has no real job responsiblity. Having said that, I thought the show was mostly good.

The rec center and the meter maid were my favorite parts. The guy in Fleet Services who ran his mouth, acted like he knew everything, then took $10k and quit is hilarious. By his own admission, he's at the bottom of the totem pole. He suddenly gets exposure to the very top, and he scurries into the corner like a roach in the light. Typical blowhard.

Some of my other favorite parts are when Mallory attempted to throw the meter maid off by saying he was married. For a city that at one time passed a fairly anti-gay discrimination law, we sure do love our homoayors. The whole thing where the guy that picks up dead animals all day every day for 9 years in a row doesn't wash his hands when he eats cracked me up too.

All in all, I thought the show was pretty good, but boy it felt like it dragged. They could have done that show in half an hour.

Snipe
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't thin any of us would like to see what Mark Mallory really likes to do under the covers.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.