PDA

View Full Version : What has gotten into St. Johns?

MrLookout9
02-25-2011, 12:32 PM
I just read through Jakarr Sampsons thread, not knowing the ending, and for most of it, XU and Louisville were the main players for his services. Out of seemingly nowhere, St. Johns swoops in and picks him up.

On ESPN, they have 9 recruits, 6 of which are in the top 100 for the incoming class. Anyone know how this happened?

From what I have read, there coach is pretty good and he is heavily pitching starring in New York. Whats different about this year though?:confused:

SixFig
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
$ $ $

AdamtheFlyer
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Lavin is a dynamite recruiter. St Johns was a sleeping giant, they just needed someone to breathe some life into that program. It's not hard to go into a kid's living room and pitch NYC and Madison Square Garden. The Garden is electric when St John's is good. A perfect mesh of college hoops with the big game, must watch Garden appeal.

chico
02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
That St. John's job can be one of the best ones in college basketball. I've always thought it's a sleeping giant. The NY market, the amount of talent in the area - that team should be good every year. Those teams they had in the 80's with Mullin, Berry and Wennington were a lot of fun to watch. They helped ESPN rise in popularity because of the Big East, and i'm sure ESPN would love nothing more than to have them rise in stature again.

Lavin can be a bit of a used car salesman but he never had problems recruiting when he was at UCLA. If he can stay out of trouble they should be very good for a while.

D-West & PO-Z
02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
I always thought Lavin got kind of a bad rap. I know a year or so ago we had talked about him on this thread and I said the same thing. Lavin did some really good things at UCLA, it just wasnt up to their Nationl Championship standards. I always wondered why he didnt get another shot sooner. He is the difference at St. Johns right now. With the season they are having, their recruiting should be good for a long, long time.

xavierj
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Those recruits are gonna need to be ready to go from the jump. St. John's basically plays 8 guys, 7 are seniors. They only have 1 player that is not a senior that contributes and he only scores 4 a game.

xsteve1
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I really enjoyed Lavin's commentary on ESPN. He did well in the tourney at UCLA and even took down #1 seed UC with Steve Logan as like a 9 seed. So I'll always appreciate him for that. He seems to really have grown into being a good coach at St. John's. He's a west coast guy so it will be interesting to see how long he stays there.

xavierj
02-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Steve Lavin goes home to this.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbTdQIdkiv6Q2Zx1dGzrRmlpxRAZ4yK BFwX6PzubUOeHzEmLVDLQ&t=1

Xavgrad08
02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Lavin has always been a really good salesman, and recruiter. Lavin has also put together a really good coaching staff, Tony Chiles and Moe Hicks have a lot of contacts in NYC. Mike Dunlap is a very good coach, and Lavin even has Gene Keady as some sort of advisor. Combine all of that with the bright lights of NYC, and St. Johns should get talented players for years to come.

More Cowbell
02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Unless I am mistaken, Sampson wanted to come to X, but his grades were not strong enough.

MrLookout9
02-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Those recruits are gonna need to be ready to go from the jump. St. John's basically plays 8 guys, 7 are seniors. They only have 1 player that is not a senior that contributes and he only scores 4 a game.

This is my fantasy in any franchise mode for college sports video games. Have a good season, have everyone graduate and bringin in a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits to start right away.

Pete Delkus
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Speaking of NYC...How is Rasheen Davis doing? If you hire a young coach from the East Coast you should expect to be, at least in the conversation for a few dudes from the coast and NYC...

I haven't heard much so far about his recruiting talents...but I don't pay toooooo much attention the the recruiting side.

Juice
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Speaking of NYC...How is Rasheen Davis doing? If you hire a young coach from the East Coast you should expect to be, at least in the conversation for a few dudes from the coast and NYC...

I haven't heard much so far about his recruiting talents...but I don't pay toooooo much attention the the recruiting side.

He was in New York this weekend watching Daniel Dingle play

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Daniel-Dingle-111444

MADXSTER
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Rasheen is doing just fine.

Kyle Anderson
Torian Graham
Montrezl Harrell
Myles Davis
Rodney Purvis who verballed to Louisville

And others.

xavierj
03-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Kyle Anderson
Torian Graham
Montrezl Harrell
Myles Davis

And others.

Yeah Kyle Anderson is top 5 in his class right now and Rasheen and Chris have him seriously considering Xavier.

DC Muskie
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Kyle Anderson
Torian Graham
Montrezl Harrell
Myles Davis

And others.

Aren't Graham and Purvis Kelsey guys since they are North Carolina products?

Lamont Sanford
03-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Don't forget about Chris Thomas in the '13 class. He is a Davis guy.

I am confident that the Rasheen Davis hiring will pay major dividends soon.

MADXSTER
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Aren't Graham and Purvis Kelsey guys since they are North Carolina products?

Probably, I was just looking at East Coast guys. Not sure who is scouting/recruiting who.

NY44
08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
A little bit of NYC bias here, you've been warned.

I think the question really is what got out of St. Johns? They play in the Big East and a bunch of their home games in MSG the self proclaimed, "most famous arena in the world". If I was a recruit the only downside I could see for going there is playing time.

Also Steve Lavin might have something to do with it.